Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

JT Jag posted:

I think my favorite gag of this entire season so far is Meelo's unrealistically realistic sketch of Korra

and people thought meelo drew those stick figures for bolin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Flat Banana posted:

This is the problem I have with the "Asianness" of the entire Avatar franchise. There's an embrace of an 'Asian aesthetic' but it's only a partial embrace and it's apparent in how names are given. There is probably a Lit paper waiting to be written about how Asian-ness is depicted and constructed in the West based on ATLA+ALOK.

Don't get me started on Sleeping Dogs' "Wei Shen", now that's a bullshit name.

The creators have always cherrypicked aspects from different cultures: Republic City was a combination of Chicago and Shanghai, and Hiroshi Sato was based on Henry Ford. The Earth Kingdom is a mixture of Chinese and Korean influences rather than explicitly either nation (though there's admittedly more China in there). I don't necessarily think it has to be all or nothing in a fantasy setting, though I can definitely see why it might upset people and can definitely see where you're coming from.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Just as an FYI, the Water Tribes are roughly Inuit/Yupik, while the Air Nomads are roughly Nepalese/Hindu. Then there's those Meso-American dudes from Season 3.

The Air Nomads are much closer to Tibetan Buddhism than Nepalese Hinduism: Aang and Pema both have traditional Tibetan names and Gyatso and Tenzin are both named after the Dalai Lama. Traditional Air Nomad clothing is also really close to the clothing of Tibetan monks.

Don't forget the Swampbenders too, who were more stereotypical redneck Gulf Coast (or maybe Florida Everglades/Panhandle? Don't know my American swamp cultures) than China/Korea or Inuit/Yupik.

IIRC wasn't there a black Air Acolyte at the Southern Air Temple in Season 2 of Korra? They just showed him for a split second helping to bring Tenzin's family in. Gyatso was also black in the movie we shall not name but that movie was an explosion of racial and ethnic casting issues.

Sato fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 4, 2014

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Sydin posted:

Yeah honestly I think it's a lot less that Kuvira can't read people, and more that she's overestimating her own abilities & kinda buying into her own hype. Bolin was brought into the circle only because he had a diplomatic use anyway, so Kuvira probably assumed that a mixture of lies and fear would keep Bolin in line like it always has, and that even if it didn't, he wasn't a major threat. Likewise, she bought Zhu Li's little speech because she recited all the great things Kuvira always says about herself, and Kuvira bought it because she's so far down the rabbit hole at this point she believes the salespitch is reality.

I think Kuvira is going to have to go through a big change of heart or a role reversal if she's not going to end up being the big bad of the season. Otherwise, I foresee her being blown up along with her nuclear spirit bombs.

JT Jag posted:

I think my favorite gag of this entire season so far is Meelo's unrealistically realistic sketch of Korra

More Meelo being a talented artist and less of a filler on screen would be my wish for the rest of the season.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sato posted:

The Air Nomads are much closer to Tibetan Buddhism than Nepalese Hinduism

Argh, you're right. How could I mess that up?

There's also those Sand Tribe guys in the desert, they're Tuareg.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Bataar Jr.'s gonna backstab Kuvira, she will try to bend his metal epaulettes (like she did with Varrick) and he'll reply "It's pure platinum. Bitch :smug:"

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

uncleKitchener posted:

I think Kuvira is going to have to go through a big change of heart or a role reversal if she's not going to end up being the big bad of the season. Otherwise, I foresee her being blown up along with her nuclear spirit bombs.

Or she could be killed brought down by the Red Lotus. They'd better appear in some way this season after Raiko's words in the finale of Book 3 about how they're out there...somewhere.

Kassad posted:

And then you've got people like Ghazan or the Guru Laghima who have Indian-sounding names when there's no India-equivalent in Avatar.

Tenzin's youngest son, Rohan, also has an Indian name, though he was explicitly named after the baby nephew of one of the creators.

Pththya-lyi posted:

There's also those Sand Tribe guys in the desert, they're Tuareg.

Forgot about them! There's also the Bhanti tribe that helped Korra recover from her amnesia and connect with Wan; they seemed somewhat autonomous from the Fire Nation. Not sure where the inspiration was, though, maybe someplace in Southeast Asia like Java?

I'm curious about how some characters like Iroh have accents while members of their family don't. Where exactly did they get it from?

PiedPiper posted:

Bataar Jr.'s gonna backstab Kuvira, she will try to bend his metal epaulettes (like she did with Varrick) and he'll reply "It's pure platinum. Bitch :smug:"

Bataar's legitimately the only character in the series I've ever wanted to punch in the face. He has such a weaselly voice too. His voice actor's really selling it.

Sato fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sato posted:

I'm curious about how some characters like Iroh have accents while members of their family don't. Where exactly did they get it from?

I'm pretty sure they got it from being Mako and not Rufio. HTH

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sato posted:

The creators have always cherrypicked aspects from different cultures: Republic City was a combination of Chicago and Shanghai, and Hiroshi Sato was based on Henry Ford.

I've always seen Republic City as being more like a combination of New York and...New York. It really doesn't strike me as even slightly Asian. The thugs even have Brooklyn accents. Let's face it, the United Republic is basically America.

EDIT: And it's an accurate portrayal too--it's pretty clear that the United Republic is way more awesome and a vastly better place to live than any of the other nations. :smug: :fsmug:

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 4, 2014

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I got a Hong Kong vibe from the place.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Kassad posted:

And then you've got people like Ghazan
Ghazan, from what I understand, is a bit of pun. It's pronounced one letter away from "Kazan", the japanese word for volcano. Given his lavabending, that seems fitting...

There is also Eska and Desna, named after rivers, one in Alaska (so I guess it keeps with the Inuit culture?) and the other in... Ukraine.

Sato posted:

That's a fair point, and I'll agree that it was poorly portrayed, though I'll stand by my assertion that this was what Bryke intended.
One of the main problems with Unalaq is that, aside from the poor portrayal of what he was supposed to come off as, he also had a lot of unrelated evil tropes attached to him for some reason : his pettiness and envy towards his brother, his parental neglect towards Eska and Desna, the obvious hunger for power, etc. Why make him so despicable even if you don't take into consideration that he wanted to become a God and rule over humanity for eternity?

Sato posted:

We were probably supposed to guess that Unalaq's vision was increased communion with the spirits under the supervision of Vaatu. I think we were also supposed to draw a parallel between Unalaq's disgust at the commercialization of the Glacier Spirits Festival and fundamentalist Christian disgust at the commercialization of Christmas to underline Unalaq's fundamentalism.
I guess the main problem is that, with the kind of person he turned out to be at the end, it's hard to think that he was really sincere about anything back at the beginning of the season. Most notably, he said that darkness was a bad thing brought by lack of balance, but he then embraced darkness and its very embodiment.

Sato posted:

As for followers, I think Unalaq was supposed to be the main follower who implemented Vaatu's commands. Unalaq had Desna and Eska, who followed him blindly until they saw UnaVaatu, and the rest of the Northern Water Tribe, where Unalaq implemented his initial goals and made a more spiritual society; we never saw any members challenge him so I guess we were supposed to think they all followed him?
I've been told that, according to the artbook, his soldiers and citizens were more interested in the ongoing dispute about the NWT wanting to get a piece of the SWT's economic success, and thought that Unalaq wanted to bring them that.

As for Eska and Desna, their relationship with their father was as poorly defined as Unalaq's ideals, so there is no way to know why they were loyal to him. Force of habit?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Hauldren Collider posted:

I've always seen Republic City as being more like a combination of New York and...New York. It really doesn't strike me as even slightly Asian. The thugs even have Brooklyn accents.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I got a Hong Kong vibe from the place.

I went back to the first art book and it looks like we were all right--all four cities were listed as influences. I want to say I read somewhere that the triads were based on the Chinese triads of the twenties, but I think there were a lot of Western noir influences worked in--after all, would we be able to tell the triad members are gangsters if they don't have Brooklyn accents?

It does seem pretty Asian to me--pretty much all the skyscrapers look like pagodas with dozens of floors. It's easier to see in the line art.

ETA:

X_Toad posted:

One of the main problems with Unalaq is that, aside from the poor portrayal of what he was supposed to come off as, he also had a lot of unrelated evil tropes attached to him for some reason : his pettiness and envy towards his brother, his parental neglect towards Eska and Desna, the obvious hunger for power, etc. Why make him so despicable even if you don't take into consideration that he wanted to become a God and rule over humanity for eternity?

I think they wanted Unalaq to be multifaceted: his spirituality wasn't a bad thing, but his earthly faults emphasized he was the wrong person to be the Avatar. The Avatar is human and has faults, but is supposed to be above such petty squabbles and hunger for power. Part of Korra's journey that season was learning that while she was a member of the SWT and a member of her family she couldn't get involved in such things: the Avatar can't take sides or use armies (like she wanted with Iroh II) to intervene in squabbles. I also think we were supposed to compare Unalaq with Wan: one wished to fuse with Raava for selfless reasons, while the other wished to fuse with Vaatu for reasons that were entirely selfish.

As for the neglect of Desna and Eska, I actually saw a parallel with Aang. Aang supposedly neglected Kya and Bumi in favor of Tenzin, but the takeaway from that storyline was that he genuinely loved all of his children and would have been horrified if he had harmed his kids. Compare that to Unalaq genuinely neglecting his children. Once again, it's a parallel between Unalaq and another Avatar.

quote:

I guess the main problem is that, with the kind of person he turned out to be at the end, it's hard to think that he was really sincere about anything back at the beginning of the season. Most notably, he said that darkness was a bad thing brought by lack of balance, but he then embraced darkness and its very embodiment.

I've been told that, according to the artbook, his soldiers and citizens were more interested in the ongoing dispute about the NWT wanting to get a piece of the SWT's economic success, and thought that Unalaq wanted to bring them that.

He was always about bringing more spirituality to the SWT (and the world), he was just less forthcoming about the full details of his plan in the beginning. I do think he wasn't entirely sincere about the darkness thing at the beginning, but was saying those things in order to get Korra on his side. He pretty much dropped that line after he realized she was against him for good.

The artbook does go more into the bad blood between the two tribes, and the SWT's success is the main driver, but doesn't mention anything about the bolded part (thinking Unalaq was more interested in the economic stuff) at least from my quick scan. Either way, that's Unalaq taking a side and using politics to his own end, something the Avatar is not supposed to do. Interestingly, the book does mention his soldiers possibly beginning to question their leader once they see UnaVaatu, but that implies they followed him blindly from the beginning.

quote:

As for Eska and Desna, their relationship with their father was as poorly defined as Unalaq's ideals, so there is no way to know why they were loyal to him. Force of habit?

I agree with this, though what I got was that Eska and Desna were like stereotypical homeschooled fundies. They believed in Unalaq because he was all they learned to believe in. They didn't turn until they had actual visible proof that Korra was right.

Like I said, I don't think Unalaq's stuff was well done. I think they tried to stuff too much in. If the season were longer I think they would have been a lot more clear.

Sato fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Pretty sure there's a fair amount of Art Deco going on in the architecture too, and remember that the whole first season was basically Roaring Twenties, a decidedly American cultural phenomenon. And also remember that Pagoda type things don't really show up on Asian skyscrapers.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

As someone who lives in NYC, it's pretty heavily NYC. Heck if you overlaid a map of the two, you would see that they have very similar geographies.

Heck there's a friggin' Statue of Liberty Aang in the harbor!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pretty sure there's a fair amount of Art Deco going on in the architecture too, and remember that the whole first season was basically Roaring Twenties, a decidedly American cultural phenomenon. And also remember that Pagoda type things don't really show up on Asian skyscrapers.

The Torii gates on the suspension bridge towers was my favorite touch.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's based on 1920s/30s Shanghai, which itself was very heavily Art Deco influenced

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Alternatively, it's based on 1920s/1930s New York, which was many times the size of Shanghai at the time and also heavily Art Deco influenced.

Geography's the other thing, it just looks like New York harbor. The Aang statue is obviously influenced by the Statue of Liberty as Rosalind says.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
In the first episode they talk about people being "fresh off the boat". Did 1920s Shanghai have booming immigration?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

And also remember that Pagoda type things don't really show up on Asian skyscrapers.

Yeah, but how else are they going to show they're Asian-inspired unless the skyscrapers actually break out into Asian languages in the show? :cheeky: Not an architecture student but from what I can tell there's not much difference in skyscrapers from country to country. I don't blame them for wanting to have fun with the designs.

Madurai posted:

The Torii gates on the suspension bridge towers was my favorite touch.

The Harmony Tower was basically an Asian Eiffel Tower. I loved it. Also liked the traditional screens instead of windows on the trolleys.

ETA: I don't know why people are so insistent on Republic City being based on one specific city. The creators themselves said they took inspiration from many different cities and it's fun seeing how they merged different concepts together. Much more interesting than Republic City just being an Asian New York or Shanghai part II or something. :shrug:

Sato fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 5, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sato posted:

I went back to the first art book and it looks like we were all right--all four cities were listed as influences.

Why is this still being argued about

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Sato posted:

Yeah, but how else are they going to show they're Asian-inspired unless the skyscrapers actually break out into Asian languages in the show? :cheeky: Not an architecture student but from what I can tell there's not much difference in skyscrapers from country to country. I don't blame them for wanting to have fun with the designs.

Yeah I agree, and I actually like the designs. I'm just pointing out that apart from the token Asian culture cameo stuff like pagoda skyscrapers and people eating rice and dumplings, the core of Republic City culture and setting is pretty obviously derived from New York/United States. And besides even in New York you find a ton of Asian influence. New York's got a huge chinatown for instance.

EDIT: Avatar Korra park also looks quite a bit like Central Park IMO. It's all basically there. Although maybe that's because all parks basically look the same.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 5, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

Because it's interesting.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Legend of Korra Book 4.44: Why is this (still) being argued about

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Ha, should have waited to edit my post. Also, apparently the mountains around Republic City were based on the Canadian Rockies so we can probably add Vancouver to the list of influences.

Rosalind posted:

Legend of Korra Book 4.44: Why is this (still) being argued about

Yeah, I'd vote for that.

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard of households where the boys have to do equal amounts of laundry/cooking/cleaning/babysitting etc. but I have never seen one in real life.

Yeah I agree, and I actually like the designs. I'm just pointing out that apart from the token Asian culture cameo stuff like pagoda skyscrapers and people eating rice and dumplings, the core of Republic City culture and setting is pretty obviously derived from New York/United States. And besides even in New York you find a ton of Asian influence. New York's got a huge chinatown for instance.

EDIT: Avatar Korra park also looks quite a bit like Central Park IMO. It's all basically there. Although maybe that's because all parks basically look the same.

Its odd though, because there is a lot of Westernized influences in Korra's Republic City (moreso than ATLA). And I know a lot of modern Asian cities are "Westernized", but in Korra there's no West so it just feels weird. Where did the suits and fedoras come from? How did the notion of a modern Republic get developed offscreen and between seasons? I guess it is what it is.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Because it's interesting.

Wrong.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Aisha posted:

Its odd though, because there is a lot of Westernized influences in Korra's Republic City (moreso than ATLA). And I know a lot of modern Asian cities are "Westernized", but in Korra there's no West so it just feels weird. Where did the suits and fedoras come from? How did the notion of a modern Republic get developed offscreen and between seasons? I guess it is what it is.

You're right, the final thing Korra needs to be a Real Anime is the pseudo-intellectual philosophical and political analysis

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Would it make sense that "platinum" in the Avatar universe is what we would call aluminum?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would it make sense that "platinum" in the Avatar universe is what we would call aluminum?

...why would it?

I mean, maybe it is, who knows, but what would lead you to think that might be the case?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Mraagvpeine posted:

What they call blue is actually green to me. It's loving crazy but like, how different people experience things

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Oracle posted:

He also mentions that she weighs a lot more than she looks like she would and says something like she weighs 2.5 Zhu Li's which is... odd considering if the unit of measurement was named after her it'd be like, her weight.

But either way, muscle weighs more than fat and she looks skinny as hell so Zhu Li is built like a brick shithouse under that business suit.

That was the one moment in the entire Avatar canon of genuine romantic development and I'm really proud of the writers for that. Every single other working relationship they've pushed on us has seemed really forced.

Possible spoiler: 1:58 of the official trailer makes it seem like Zhu Li goes back to Varrick (and Korra's) side, but that could just be very tight editing of two different scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw&t=118s

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 5, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The park is REALLY BLATANTLY central park. It's even got that one big ol' rock thing!

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Sato posted:

The creators have always cherrypicked aspects from different cultures: Republic City was a combination of Chicago and Shanghai, and Hiroshi Sato was based on Henry Ford. The Earth Kingdom is a mixture of Chinese and Korean influences rather than explicitly either nation (though there's admittedly more China in there). I don't necessarily think it has to be all or nothing in a fantasy setting, though I can definitely see why it might upset people and can definitely see where you're coming from.

I definitely agree with you there that a work of fiction doesn't have to bring in all of reality, what more a children's show. It's just that as an Asian, I look forward to fiction that negotiate what it means to be Asian and it's kind of a let down For ATLA/ALOK to adopt an Asian aesthetic (yay!) and then flail around weirdly at the next step in "Asianness" (boo).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dj_clawson posted:

Possible spoiler: 1:58 of the official trailer makes it seem like Zhu Li goes back to Varrick (and Korra's) side, but that could just be very tight editing of two different scenes.

I think they've already shown this scene.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw&t=118s

That shot of Zhu Li is from the latest episode, during the mech fight.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Also that trailer makes it look like Korra goes back to her old outfit instead of picking up a sweet new Jedi Master outfit, what a shame

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jackard posted:

Also that trailer makes it look like Korra goes back to her old outfit instead of picking up a sweet new Jedi Master outfit, what a shame

Yeah, she does according to Bryan's tumblr and the NYCC panel. They actually based Korra's boots in that ensemble on an actual pair you can buy for fairly cheap on Amazon and they sold out right after Bryan posted the link.

Flat Banana posted:

I definitely agree with you there that a work of fiction doesn't have to bring in all of reality, what more a children's show. It's just that as an Asian, I look forward to fiction that negotiate what it means to be Asian and it's kind of a let down For ATLA/ALOK to adopt an Asian aesthetic (yay!) and then flail around weirdly at the next step in "Asianness" (boo).

Yeah, I can see your frustration there. I don't necessarily feel authoritative or comfortable commenting in depth as I'm not Asian myself, but I think you made a good argument as to why we need more shows created by Asians and other minorities. Bryke have brought traditional Asian philosophies and beliefs (Buddhism, Taoism) to an audience that is not normally exposed to this sort of content, but as two white guys they aren't exactly the best qualified to meditate in depth on the nature of "Asianness," as you put it, so they haven't really tried. TBH I'm not sure how they'd fit it in to the show they ended up creating without it being really jarring--the characters are who they are, and while we've seen characters struggle with their culture and heritage (Aang, Katara, their kids, Sokka, Zuko) it's been within the context of the show really. I do agree there's probably an academic paper there.

Sato fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 5, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Personally I like my cartoon for children to have an acceptable amount of hitler

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lessail posted:

Personally I like my cartoon for children to have an acceptable amount of hitler

I think a good target to shoot for is between 0.3 and 0.7 Hitlers. <0.2 Hitlers and it's just too PC for my tastes, while >0.8 and you're trying too hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

I think a good target to shoot for is between 0.3 and 0.7 Hitlers. <0.2 Hitlers and it's just too PC for my tastes, while >0.8 and you're trying too hard.

Where does Captain Planet Hitler fall on this scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Depicting Hitler in cartoons is an American tradition.

• Locked thread