Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Costco really uppin its game lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Once they had this artisan brie with an ashy rind that was literally the best cheese I've ever eaten, but they haven't had it back since. :smith:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

They've had those like four years running around this time of year. We usually work them into thanksgiving somehow.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Once they had this artisan brie with an ashy rind that was literally the best cheese I've ever eaten, but they haven't had it back since. :smith:

There was an article about that -- http://costcoconnection.texterity.com/connection/201212/?pg=91 sure, it's puffery, but it's interesting puffery and it's the best brie I've gotten outside of a high-end cheese shop.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

those look like pretty abysmal chanterelles, but that's a pretty good price for the US...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mindphlux posted:

those look like pretty abysmal chanterelles, but that's a pretty good price for the US...

All kantareller (:sweden:) that you haven't personally picked out of the ground look awful by comparison.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Xoidanor posted:

All kantareller (:sweden:) that you haven't personally picked out of the ground look awful by comparison.

I have never forgiven Rolf Storberg (RIP omg) for not letting us know his secret kantarel & smultron locations before he died. The bastard. He'd vanish for an hour or two into the woods and come back with baskets full.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Those look like poo poo tho, and they're more than I pay currently ($8.95/lb)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Those look like poo poo tho, and they're more than I pay currently ($8.95/lb)

They're squished together in a saran wrapped styro box of course they look like poo poo. Out of the box they look alright.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS
I just prepared and ate spam for the first time. The smell and texture of the uncooked, gelatinous ham-loaf disgusted me upon opening the can. I pushed on though, cutting the loaf into the thinnest slices I could manage. I put two of them in my cast iron pan and started frying them up with an egg. The foul scent quickly transformed and became surprisingly appetizing as it fried. When the slices became brown and crispy, I tossed them between some bread with the egg and a slice of cheddar making a nice little breakfast sandwich. The thin slicing and subsequent frying took care of the texture problem and I was pleasantly surprised that such an unappealing product became a reasonably tasty breakfast meat. Spam isn't particularly cheap at my local Safeway though, so I don't think there's much reason to use it over sausage, bacon, real ham, etc. except maybe for some occasional variety.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

spam owns. haters gonna hate

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Xoidanor posted:

Well, those of us with no access to fertile chanterelle grounds ave to make do with store bought ones. Although it does look a bit strange seeing them pre-packaged, and not like they usually do.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

spam owns. haters gonna hate

quotin this

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

radthibodaux posted:

Spam isn't particularly cheap at my local Safeway though, so I don't think there's much reason to use it over sausage, bacon, real ham, etc. except maybe for some occasional variety.

it is better than all of these in sushi as well as in fried rice.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
$35 shipped for a Wolfgang Puck brand pasta-making kit just dropped on ebay.

quote:

Dough roller
Dual spaghetti/fettuccine dough cutter
Dual angel hair/lasagna dough cutter
Ravioli cutting tool
Pasta drying rack
Table clamp

quote:

“These are new/unused items that have been re-boxed. Items will be in like new condition. 90 Day Warranty.”

Seller has 99.4% of 35k feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolfgang-Puck-Bistro-Elite-Pasta-Making-Set/301197244310#viTabs_0

(edit: bought it on impulse before seeing if it was any good, thinking they'd sell out fast. Just looked and they're $90 on amazon with 2 good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Puck-Bistro-Elite-Pasta/dp/B00MLENKVE/)

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 5, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I don't buy Hormel products because I don't like abusive labor practices and shitheel companies.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/hormel-spam-pig-brains-disease

I actually just try to avoid industrial butchery entirely. I have the luxury of knowing where a lot of my meat comes from, so if you have to buy SPAM, at least get it cheap, don't think it's something special. Otherwise, shop at your local butcher. Even the ones who cut from primals at the back of the grocery store can point you to what's best for value that day.

Vote with your dollars! Because dollars are better then people now, apparently.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't buy Hormel products because I don't like abusive labor practices and shitheel companies.

I actually just try to avoid industrial butchery entirely. I have the luxury of knowing where a lot of my meat comes from, so if you have to buy SPAM, at least get it cheap, don't think it's something special. Otherwise, shop at your local butcher. Even the ones who cut from primals at the back of the grocery store can point you to what's best for value that day.

That article was linked during ICSA spam and it should be noted that for as egregious of accusations it makes and the breadth of its claims, it is the only place that says anything about it. Regardless, there are many not spam spams out there. Its just potted meat. Ain't no big deal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Suspect Bucket posted:

QTIYD

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

That article was linked during ICSA spam and it should be noted that for as egregious of accusations it makes and the breadth of its claims, it is the only place that says anything about it. Regardless, there are many not spam spams out there. Its just potted meat. Ain't no big deal.

I was looking a few weeks ago, but dead-ended, so I'll ask here. Does a more-ethical tinned pork or beef product exist? Something preferably sourced from pasture raised (can be feedlot finished, I don't want to be impossible), using humane slaughter from either a unionized or well regulated meat packer?

For freezer meals, I get Saffron Road stuff. If they're good to the animals, I can hope the same sentiment extends to the workers.
http://www.saffronroadfood.com/

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I was looking a few weeks ago, but dead-ended, so I'll ask here. Does a more-ethical tinned pork or beef product exist? Something preferably sourced from pasture raised (can be feedlot finished, I don't want to be impossible), using humane slaughter from either a unionized or well regulated meat packer?

For freezer meals, I get Saffron Road stuff. If they're good to the animals, I can hope the same sentiment extends to the workers.
http://www.saffronroadfood.com/

pretty easy: nitrate cure pig parts with spices of choice, braise until disintegrating, pick out bones, pressure process in jars.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Last week a friend of mine did a big all kimchi meal, where everything served had kimchi in it. The only thing I didn't like was the fried rice with kimchi and spam; I like both of the main ingredients, but fried together the texture was a bit odd, and it was really salty.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

There's likely close to no market for free range spam. Most people on a budget will choose factory farm meat over humane spam.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Hello fellow ARFIDs!!! I just have to share that I was approved for Social Security Disability today based on my ARFID condition. What a relief! No more having to throw myself into social situations involving eating and panicking about it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Burn it all down.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Burn it all down.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

DekeThornton posted:

Well, those of us with no access to fertile chanterelle grounds ave to make do with store bought ones. Although it does look a bit strange seeing them pre-packaged, and not like they usually do.

I am about to come in my pants a tiny bit.

geetee posted:

Hello fellow ARFIDs!!! I just have to share that I was approved for Social Security Disability today based on my ARFID condition. What a relief! No more having to throw myself into social situations involving eating and panicking about it.

No, wait, it's gone.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mace is an awesome spice, I've discovered. Next up is gonna be mace cookies. Like nutmeg, but not as peppery, with strong hints of fruit and citrus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sjurygg posted:

Mace is an awesome spice, I've discovered. Next up is gonna be mace cookies. Like nutmeg, but not as peppery, with strong hints of fruit and citrus.

What the gently caress.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LoonShia posted:

What the gently caress.

Mace the spice, not the predecessor of
pepper spray.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Um dude I dont think this has never not been true.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

LoonShia posted:

What the gently caress.

Mace is the same plant as nutmeg. It's basically the remains of the fruit that dries up around the nutmeg nut in little stringy shreds of delicious spiciness.

I haven't worked with mace at all but by that flavor description I may need to start. My newest cookie spice is cardamom - I found a pistachio/cardamom sugar cookie recipe that very quickly made its way onto my every-year Christmas baking list.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those are both super traditional baking spices. Surprised you haven't used them before, bart.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Those are both super traditional baking spices. Surprised you haven't used them before, bart.

Yeah exactly. Mace is even in Bittman's book, it's hardly an unusual spice.

bartolimu posted:

My newest cookie spice is cardamom - I found a pistachio/cardamom sugar cookie recipe that very quickly made its way onto my every-year Christmas baking list.

Yeah, once I started cooking Indian food, I started putting cardamom in everything. It's SO good in hot chocolate.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always used green cardamom pods. How do black pods differ?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I find that they have a distinct dawn soap taste if eaten whole. Then they numb out your tongue.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They are very different, the garam masala I have on hand has both in it.

The black stuff is sharper, more intense, more peppery.

EDIT:^^^ Yeah, there is a slight numbing quality, a bit like cloves.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For whatever reason they didn't make it into my family's repertoire. Even the German-based recipes are cinnamon/ginger based and don't use much nutmeg or mace. Also my mother doesn't particularly care for nutmeg so I didn't start using that in anything until I was baking on my own. I should probably borrow great grandma's recipe book from her and see if she's been hiding some sweet barely-legible nutmeg based technology from me.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I find that they have a distinct dawn soap taste if eaten whole. Then they numb out your tongue.

My mom used to make a sweet cardamom quick bread and the last time I made it I used just-bought cardamom from Penzey's and you couldn't eat more than a bite or two without going numb. That poo poo freaked everyone out.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I bought a jar of mace once, then realized I'd just spent like $16 for a recipe that called for 1/8tsp.

I found a recipe for Mace Cake and then proceeded to make cake after cake because it was so drat good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mace-Cake-231814

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've always used green cardamom pods. How do black pods differ?

Black cardamom is smoked.

It never ceases to intrigue me how the US, which basically runs on pumpkin pie spices, aren't all over cardamom. poo poo is good.

Tip: pound whole green pods in pestle and mortar, sift. Easy, fresh, hyperaromatic cardamom. Now go make some buns.