Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gotta agree that what Dongmin should have done in the last round (not before) if he could in fact feel a weight-difference, was simply search through the cubes one by one until he was sure he'd found 3 bombs, put them to one side of the mine while bringing the rest to the other, and have his team just grab from that pile. That should get them max points, with the other 6 unlikely to bet over 100 total (in the end they bet, what, a little over 100 that round, mostly due to Hyunmin's 50, right?) giving each of them around 70 - 80 points. Even if one team somehow sniffed it out and bet 50 each, the other would be unlikely to bet more than 10 - 15 each if even that, leaving 40 - 50 each for Dongmin's team. Would be safer than relying on Hyunmin, while having the same end result barring some real weird bets from the rest (or even let him give the token to Ahyoung or Sujin), and I was waiting for this to happen since the reveal he could tell the difference actually.

That said, unlike, say, the card-back trick found by Jinho in season one, this one seems like a pretty bad set-up. First, you have to be able to feel the weight-difference in the first place, while everyone could see the cardbacks if they thought of it in S1. Second, even if you can feel it, having to pick up multiple at the same time AND the fact you can't see what you're picking up makes it hard to use even if you are both able to feel the difference, and notice it. Both Dongmin and Hyunmin had issues with picking them out.

In the end Dongmin was smart enough to have a back-up plan with Hyunmin at least, so it worked out for him fine if not as much for Sujin. And I gotta say, another Poker death-match is a bit much. Of course, this one was even dumber than the previous ones, first with best draw after the tie being purely luck, then the huge mistake from Sujin. Can't blame anyone but herself after that one at least. But the fact that the first player who gets high numbers on both sides, and higher than their opponent's top, AND gets to bet first basically gets a free 11 garnets is still incredibly dumb. As is a lot about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Daeno posted:

Ep 5. first BTS up.

Dongmin is loving hilarious.

I can honestly say I won't mind it if all of the BTS clips from now on are about Dongmin and Ahyoung :haw:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that one guy who hit on her until he got eliminated has to be mad

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

You would not be a fun person to watch play this game

Haha, well, just because it isn't smart doesn't mean it won't be entertaining. I'm curious if Dongmin will be more of a Sangmin or a Jinho. My money is on Yeonseung going to the deathmatch and losing to Yoohyun or Ahyoung.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeonseung was pretty dumb in this episode but remember that the viewers have a lot of information that the players don't have. Given what Yeonseung knew, he made the right choice. Yeonseung's strategy wasn't to get one below Junghoon, it was to just get more than Sujin as to not be last. If Hyunmin's team mines low (1-1-1), Yeonseung isn't going to get anything anyway. But if they mine a bit higher (say to boost Junghoon out of the danger zone) then he may be able to capitalize on that, but he knows they won't mine a lot of points since Hyunmin and Yoohyun are already in the lead, so he has to keep his bet more conservatively. It was a calculated move, albeit not a very thorough one. He had no idea that Dongmin and Hyunmin were collaborating (nobody did) to get Sujin out of last place. Even though you think it should have been obvious after Hyunmin got 50 points, as a player, the connection pointing him to Dongmin wasn't obvious and as we saw, even that alliance was shaky as Hyunmin was having second thoughts at the end. If it had gone the other way, Yeonseung would have definitely beat Sujin. You can't really blame Yeonseung for that particular decision with 20/20 Hindsight and behind-the-scenes-audience-vision. That being said, in the early game he definitely did pretty badly with feeling out what other players were going to bet.

I also agree with his decision to go against Dongmin. Yeonseung can't trust Dongmin. Yeonseung knows he's a pushover and he'll just be brushed aside when convenient. Yeonseung is trying to prop himself up as a strong player. Even if he isn't, I give him credit for trying. If he gets eliminated, he goes out fighting, not as a player who gets carried away by the whims of other players. Plus, in the last two games now Dongmin has been unsuccessful in protecting the people he has allied with. Sujin and before, Hweejong. Dongmin talks big and he is a competent player, but only so far as he can use people to his advantage; he hasn't demonstrated the ability to actually protect them

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If Yeonseung doesn't want to be part of Dongmin's team, he should wait until Dongmin's vulnerable to strike. Making an enemy who's been way better at the main match games and has a lot of people happily working with him is just going to mean Yeonseung's collaboratively shut down even more. He could have gotten a bunch of garnets and been on the right side of a majority alliance for once and he turned it down for his own ego pretty much. Okay showing for Yoohyun, if anyone left can compete against Dongmin/Hyunmin I think it'll be him

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Verr posted:

I'm curious if Dongmin will be more of a Sangmin or a Jinho.

So far Dongmin and Hyunmin seem like mirror world Sangmin and Jinho to me. The fiercely loyal social player and the ruthlessly calculating game theory master. It owns and I hope they are the finals (we never got a proper Jinho vs Sangmin showdown :qq:)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Tonfa posted:

So far Dongmin and Hyunmin seem like mirror world Sangmin and Jinho to me. The fiercely loyal social player and the ruthlessly calculating game theory master. It owns and I hope they are the finals (we never got a proper Jinho vs Sangmin showdown :qq:)

Let's be honest though, Dongmin is waaaaay smarter than Sangmin. He's social, sure, but he's legitimately good at the game strategy.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tonfa posted:

In hindsight a Sangmin/Jinho death match would have been a huge silver lining to S2 - I think S1's top 3 were all super deserving and we got to see the big Kyungran/Sangmin and Jinho/Kyungran showdowns. Sangmin beating Jinho directly and making it so all three of them were 1-1 against the other two would be awesome, although Sangmin beating Jinho indirectly S2 kinda fills the same function.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Dongmin's proposal was totally ruined. His promise to protect Ahyeoung if they got married took a hit when he failed to protect Sujin like he said. I mean they were probably joking but editors are good at making these things look like actual romances.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Verr posted:

Haha, well, just because it isn't smart doesn't mean it won't be entertaining. I'm curious if Dongmin will be more of a Sangmin or a Jinho. My money is on Yeonseung going to the deathmatch and losing to Yoohyun or Ahyoung.

He seems to be more of a social player than a logic guy (like how he didn't use the knowledge of how to manipulate the mine to maximize the points for the people he wanted on his side). Obviously he's not a fool, but he seems to build his game plan around connecting with the people he wants and isn't very dynamic when it comes to the play itself. That might be his downfall if he gets locked in on a plan that crumbles around him and then he finds himself in a non-social deathmatch.

Tonfa posted:

Yeah, that's a good way of thinking about it. Right now Dongmin is the most interesting to watch, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tonfa posted:

I was thinking about that too, actually. The way I see it, there's two ways to approach competitive gaming of any kind: you can either break the opponents or break the game. Dongmin and Sangmin were better at the former, Jinho and Hyunmin (and Yohwan, really) were better at the latter. The Miner Game exemplified that, Dongmin went straight into making alliances while Hyunmin decided to figure out any hidden tricks in the game before anything else. Dongmin isn't as aggressive with his alliances as Sangmin, tho.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I kind of see the comparison between Dongmin and Sangmin, but Sangmin definitely had that reputation of surprise betrayals. That was kind of his thing. Dongmin, on the other hand, seems to be completely against betraying anyone he agrees to ally with. He definitely set the tone in last week's episode when he told the winning team straight-up that he wasn't going to accept or offer any deal to avoid going into the Death Match.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
There simply has to be a Dongmin - Ahyoung deathmatch which turns into a comedy as they both try to let the other win.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Another BTS is up.

More Ahyoung/Dongmin comedy gold. I find Ahyoung as funny as Dongmin sometimes; she reminds me of a friend of mine who is super smart but aloof at times, and gets incredibly loud when excited about even small things. It's hilarious every time the players are having some serious discussion and then suddenly Ahyoung bursts out laughing in some other room.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Verr posted:

We're starting to hit the mid-game! This was a great round. As of today's game, I think the breakdown of alliances seems something like this:

Team Dongmin
Dongmin
Ahyoung

Goofy Team
Yeonjoo
Jongbeom
Yeonseung

Independent/Team Hyunmin
Hyunmin
Junghoon
Yoohyun

I think Yeonseung's rejection of Dongmin's plan was probably the best move he's made all season. He knows he's a likely target no matter how well Dongmin treats him. We've probably seen the last of the big multi-team games, so as a relatively weak player he'll always be a target in terms of diplomacy. No one would get super up in arms at choosing Yeonseung, as he's a member of a weak alliance, and not scary in the same way as Hyunmin or Yoohyun. Dongmin's offer, while nice, wouldn't be able to protect him for more than a couple rounds. Plus, everyone is generous with their garnets in the early game.

Even if Yeonseung gets sent to the deathmatch again, Dongmin will have to win to ensure that Yeonseung doesn't choose himself/Ahyoung/whoever else is on his team in retaliation if he wants to continue his protection deals. If Dongmin is specifically gunning for Yeonseung, Yeonseung can offer himself (or be coerced) as a rallying point for anyone wanting to take down Dongmin. Something every player at this point in the game should be considering. If Yeonseung would have accepted Dongmin's deal, Yeonseung would have been protecting Dongmin's alliance and further alienating himself from the non-Dongmin players. By refusing, Yeonseung pumps himself up as more of a threat, which he desperately needs having a bad track record in the major games he's played. His refusal also helps highlight Dongmin as a power player who is worth knocking out early.

So yeah, Yeonseung reaction seemed pretty impulsive, but I think he made the right choice if he can survive the next round. The question now is who Dongmin tries to ally with, and how dedicated Dongmin is to screwing Yeonseung. Perhaps he's willing to go to the deathmatch to face Yeonseung.

Gonna say Hyunmin is definitely not on that alliance anymore if I had to bet anything.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Shakugan posted:

Another BTS is up.

More Ahyoung/Dongmin comedy gold. I find Ahyoung as funny as Dongmin sometimes; she reminds me of a friend of mine who is super smart but aloof at times, and gets incredibly loud when excited about even small things. It's hilarious every time the players are having some serious discussion and then suddenly Ahyoung bursts out laughing in some other room.

Except Ahyoung has done literally nothing the entire game except be the victim of Dongmin's scolding, which is pretty funny but still, would be nice if she had a chance to actually use her brain.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Subyng posted:

Except Ahyoung has done literally nothing the entire game except be the victim of Dongmin's scolding, which is pretty funny but still, would be nice if she had a chance to actually use her brain.

Forget the first death match?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

BSam posted:

Forget the first death match?

She didn't really do anything there, Juri just played badly.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

She translated the latin!

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Davincie posted:

She translated the latin!

That reminds me, both ahyoung and yoohyun speak English, right? I think they could potentially make an effective team just by being able to openly convey information to each other without anyone else understanding.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Would the other people not atleast know a little bit of english?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

HiipFire posted:

Would the other people not atleast know a little bit of english?

It really depends but as far as I can tell (going by Running Man and Japan :j:) the level of English there is pretty low.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
And on the subject of language I thought to myself that it's pretty funny how I've watched enough episodes of this and Running Man to know what "individual battle" is in Korean

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zythrst posted:

Okay so, main match was great, the death match is still loving stupid, though its hard to say the wrong person won given Sujin's big error. I feel Yeonseung made a pretty big error in the meta game too by not taking Dongmin's offer. I mean you've been forced to come last enough times that I'd think you'd need to be making alliances not tearing them down, and Dongmin's alliance had been weakened a lot with Hweejong gone anyway.

eta- I mean look at it this way, Dongmin is willing to give up literally all his garnets to get an ally to avoid the death match, make friends with him!

Shakugan posted:

Dongmin is a great candidate to be the season 4 returnee. He's wicked smart, funny, and yet won't be targeted immediately because he's very loyal.

Yeonseung made such a stupid decision in rejecting Dongmin's plan. Dongmin had the whole game planned out, and the only reason things didn't go exactly to plan was because he managed to underestimate Yeonseung's stupidity. Yeonseung, who clearly gets targeted by other players because no one likes him, who has no alliance of his own, who could have filled the vacuum left by Hweejong.
I like these posts!

Dongmin is reaching legendary status imo. Separately, it was crazy of Yeonsung to not take his offer. I mean, there were only two people being ruled out, why'd he have to choose one of them when he had a good offer not to? And I liked Yeonsung, but really? Standing up to Dongmin's "alliance" (does he even have one?) actually DOES make sense in a way, if you think you can draw a bigger counter power, but uhh... I don't think Yeonsung really is a social hub, or has any other friends in the game. Dongmin was offering friendship.

I really like that Dongmin was protecting his team. The bomb weight thing to me seemed kind of lame from a production standpoint of trying too hard to "break" the game but the fact that Dongmin was the only one to realize it makes me think maybe it was a nice idea afterall.

Anyway though, terrible to see Sunji leave as I thought she was basically a badass, and I do think she got screwed by the cards, but betting on the lower side of her card was such a blunder I can't disagree with her exit.

Death match was wanting but main match was fantastic. It was exactly what this show needed after the lovely Veritas thing last week ended up fizzling out immediately.

PS: Did Ahyoung eat all of Yeonsung's gold handouts?

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that team three's plan was going to be Dongmin would separate the bomb from the rest in the mine, then everyone would just pull all the other cubes out. I thought it would be awesome for someone to completely empty the mine of everything except the bombs.
Was waiting for this. Would've been cool but it ended up cool nonetheless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Dongmin is reaching legendary status imo. Separately, it was crazy of Yeonsung to not take his offer. I mean, there were only two people being ruled out, why'd he have to choose one of them when he had a good offer not to? And I liked Yeonsung, but really? Standing up to Dongmin's "alliance" (does he even have one?) actually DOES make sense in a way, if you think you can draw a bigger counter power, but uhh... I don't think Yeonsung really is a social hub, or has any other friends in the game. Dongmin was offering friendship.

It does make sense however to pick the one who has proved herself clueless for the death match. The alternative would have been to pick Poker Star™ and his protege who won the last death match, a matchup which we know now in hindsight he would have had no chance in hell of winning since it was poker again. :v:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As much as Dongmin owns (like how he chose 50 in the final round to protect Ahyoung and Sujin's 49 choices in case it all went horribly wrong, what a champ) it was good the Doc stood up to him. His promise to help during the deathmatch was totally sincere but as it turned out the game did not allow for any help from the other players. Getting some garnets is nice but if that just sets Dongmin on a certain path to the finals those garnets go back to him anyway. Season 2 would have been a lot better if people had said no to Sangmin when he offered to help them which just meant he would eliminate them later rather then sooner.

Mining game was absolutely amazing. The way the tension built up to that final moment made it seem scripted, it just could not have been better TV.

edit: With the elimination of the garnets held by the deathmatch loser I wonder just how much will be left for the winner, I think it will be less then 50.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 5, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CeeJee posted:

edit: With the elimination of the garnets held by the deathmatch loser I wonder just how much will be left for the winner, I think it will be less then 50.

I may have been wrong at first, but now it looks like they give them to someone for safe keeping, to be distributed out if you die. My guess is it's their workaround to stop garnets disappearing.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The final match will be played for 2 garnets.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hat Thoughts posted:

The final match will be played for 2 garnets.

Kang Yongsuk's cold, hollow laughter is heard from the guest room through the whole episode

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I really like that Dongmin was protecting his team. The bomb weight thing to me seemed kind of lame from a production standpoint of trying too hard to "break" the game but the fact that Dongmin was the only one to realize it makes me think maybe it was a nice idea afterall.

Hyunmin figured it out too.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Great episode. Restored my faith in the show a bit. Looks like poker player is getting a bit fed up of Hyunmin upstaging him.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The players are the ones to put the cubes back into the mine, right? Even without separate weights, two teams could collaborate by one pulling out at least 3 bombs and then separating them out when placing them back into the mine.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Mad Rancher posted:

The players are the ones to put the cubes back into the mine, right? Even without separate weights, two teams could collaborate by one pulling out at least 3 bombs and then separating them out when placing them back into the mine.

I don't think so. Did we even see who puts them back?
Pretty sure that's the dealer's job anyway

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

I don't think so. Did we even see who puts them back?
Pretty sure that's the dealer's job anyway

They didn't give us the details, but it looked like the dealers put the cubes back in and then shuffled them. I think the inside of the mine was just the flat tabletop to make sorting the bombs easier.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
That was a really great main match and renewed my excitement for Season 3. Dongmin is a fantastic player and he seems like a great guy to have on your side too, since he went to some fairly extraordinary lengths to protect his own when he could've gotten away with just not doing anything. Offering Yeonseung garnets to not pick his team is remarkable, he's always looking for a way to influence the game to his liking and I really dig that kind of player. He's kinda my favourite to win right now.

speaking of, I really dunno about Yeonseung declining said offer. Maybe he felt he just had no chance surviving by facing off against one of the others, but making an enemy out of the one of the stronger and loyal players in the game and giving up potential garnets all for the sake of what seemed like a pride thing doesn't strike me as the smartest move and I will be really surprised if it doesn't bite him square in the rear end in future, Dongmin cannot be happy about that and that dude has a shitload to leverage to get him KO'ed.

death match just upset me because that entire game was torpedo'ed on one minor mistake and it just made me sad. Such a middling note for Sujin to go out on but I didn't want Yeonseung to go out either. He doesn't seem like he'll win at all or produce any stellar Genius moments (the one he did have last time was bizarrely cut from the episode) and his decisions are often really questionable but he makes me smile when he's around, he just seems like a nice guy. I'm glad he's outliving the people I don't find as lively at any rate even if he generally plays worse.

good episode, 8/10 the new season's starting to pick up the pace

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

They didn't give us the details, but it looked like the dealers put the cubes back in and then shuffled them. I think the inside of the mine was just the flat tabletop to make sorting the bombs easier.

I don't think so and I'm not sure why everyone is assuming this. The inside of the mine seemed to be more like a flexible sack thing.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I loved Sujin, but as soon as she made that mistake during the deathmatch, a klaxon should have gone off and a trapdoor should have opened up beneath her chair.

Anyway, agreeing with other people that the -Min Twins are the only people making moves right now.

But it wasn't until the end of episode 6, during his deathmatch with Gura, that Jinho started becoming a badass, right? Someone else can still step up. Maybe Ahyoung or Jongbeom.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I wonder how many more people will fall in love with Ahyoung this season

besides me :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ironic Twist posted:

But it wasn't until the end of episode 6, during his deathmatch with Gura, that Jinho started becoming a badass, right? Someone else can still step up. Maybe Ahyoung or Jongbeom.

Jinho had some moves earlier in season one that didn't pan out. I guess he didn't ascend to badass until later but he was well on his way.