Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE

The previous show thread has been archived, but the third and final season of our show, Video Game High School, is out now! If you live in New York or Chicago, you may have seen some of the billboard and bus advertising that's been plastered around your respective cities.

New episodes come out free, ad-supported every Monday -

Click here for a digital download of entire season

Episode 1 - YouTube
Episode 2 - YouTube
Episode 3 - YouTube
Episode 4 - YouTube
Episode 5 - YouTube
Episode 6 - YouTube

Seasons 1 and 2 are available on Netflix or for free on YouTube.

---

What is this?

VGHS is basically Harry Potter with video games instead of magic, more or less. It started in 2011 as a 10-episode feature-length webseries about an alternate reality where pro gaming is the biggest sport in the world and follows average gamer Brian D. as he gets accepted into the titular high school. The second season changed the format to 6 TV-length episodes, and delved into the storylines of the other characters a bit more. The third season is also going to be 6 TV-length episodes, with episodes ranging in runtime from 30-60 minutes.

We've been very fortunate to have a lot of cameos from season to season, with Zachary Levi, Stan Lee, Cliff Bleszinski, the Rooster Teeth crew, and more lending their talents to our series. This season, we also have Tony Hawk, Conan O'Brian, and Joel McHale showing up for a hot minute as well.

Will I like this show?

Maybe! Having talked to a lot of people at this point, from people who love the show and cosplay the characters, to people who think it's literally the worst thing to happen to video games and gaming culture (basically all of NeoGAF), I've found that it basically boils down to how you want the premise to play out. If you think that a high school for pro gamers is goofy and ridiculous, then you might enjoy the show.

I should also note that it's been three years and we've grown a lot as filmmakers as we've been making the show, and that Season 2 is definitely the season we are more proud of. So if you saw Season 1 and wrote it off as cheesy bullshit, I encourage you to at least give Season 2 a shot.

How is this show made/who are you guys?

I'm Freddie Wong - you may have seen some of the YouTube videos we've been cranking out over the past few years. This show is made by being funded from a variety of sources, from crowdfunding, to private investment, to brand integrations. We've always been open and have broken down our costs for each season of the show - Season 1 and Season 2.

This season, we're trying something different by offering a digital download for all six episodes from day one, while continuing to do weekly ad-supported releases. The entire season can be downloaded for $14.99 here.

Finally, some gifs -

MrSpiffy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
Just picked up the season.

With this being the last season of VGHS, do you have any hints on what is next for you and your team?

Edit: Holy poo poo, episode three is dark.

Never mind, episode 4 is darker.

paradigmblue fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 14, 2014

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

The next show is going to be an anthology show called Dimension 404 - think Twilight Zone but in the internet age. The BBC show Black Mirror is a good reference, but it's leaning a bit more humorous. It'll be a good chance to bring up other directors in the company as well as do a range of genres and types of episodes.

paradigmblue posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, episode three is dark.

Let me know what you think about 4.

MrSpiffy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 14, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Just finished up the season. I don't want to spoil anything this early, but I definitely enjoyed it and liked where you decided to go with the climax. I'll hold off on saying more until more people have actually watched this thing, but I certainly don't regret watching all three seasons!

Edit: Episode 4 was interesting, and I thought it handled the subject matter well.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 14, 2014

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

OrangeKing posted:

Edit: Episode 4 was interesting, and I thought it handled the subject matter well.

I can honestly say if someone had told me that an episode of VGHS would bring tears to my eyes I would have never believed them. That was powerful, wrenching stuff there.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just watched the first episode. It's weird because one of the complaints I had in the previous season was how over the top the drama was even taking into account the naturally expressive video game genre. What's weird is that the third season seems to be following in the same line of drama, but I found it a whole lot more palatable. The first half of the episode not so much, but I found that the latter half started fitting together all the plot threads really well. The climax to Ted's scene while incredibly cheesy was still legit dark and the ending was very nice. Even though I would say that one scene happens to be even more over the top than anything from season 2, I'd still say the drama feels a lot more natural this time around. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, are they going to be weekly releases?

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

pandaK posted:

Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, are they going to be weekly releases?

They're all out now if you purchase them through Vimeo.

paradigmblue fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 15, 2014

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

pandaK posted:

Just watched the first episode. It's weird because one of the complaints I had in the previous season was how over the top the drama was even taking into account the naturally expressive video game genre. What's weird is that the third season seems to be following in the same line of drama, but I found it a whole lot more palatable. The first half of the episode not so much, but I found that the latter half started fitting together all the plot threads really well. The climax to Ted's scene while incredibly cheesy was still legit dark and the ending was very nice. Even though I would say that one scene happens to be even more over the top than anything from season 2, I'd still say the drama feels a lot more natural this time around. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, are they going to be weekly releases?

Episode 1, for us, has always been difficult because there's so much raw setup that takes place, and it's easy to get bogged down with the mechanics of just explaining things. I think we get better at it every season, but it's incredibly difficult. What's the scene that was more over the top than anything for you?

And yes, releases happen every Monday.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Just watched episode 1. Really dumb question but what broke up the big friendship again? I remember Ted being stretched too thin between work, school and Jenny but just don't remember why they aren't on speaking terms.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I think it can all be boiled down to Brian treating his half of the Best Friends badge like garbage.

KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...

YOUR GAME HAS PROBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMS

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Episode 2 made me feel genuinely uncomfortable for some reason I can't quite put my finger on when the characters were doing stuff like getting drunk and going to strip clubs. It was quite tough to watch them go through that - I dunno - "loss of innocence", in a way, and I assume that's what you guys were aiming for, so kudos for that.

Also, episode 4 was the first time I've ever, ever sat in front of any medium, albeit a movie, TV show or video game, with tears just silently rolling down my face. I well up at the most emotional moments in anything but for some reason that scene in the laundry hit me hard. My congratulations go to the cast and crew, Jimmy especially of course, for absolutely nailing everything from Ted's denial to his eventual acceptance and grief. Congratulations to everyone involved. It was perfect. Thank you.

Question - I vaguely remember a special feature where Matt, Will and Brian said something along the lines of "we let ourselves have one swear a season". I can see why you would carefully choose that moment, because (especially when The Law delivers the "Shitheeeeeeeads!" at the end of Season 2) it's shocking, which helps add a lot of extra weight to a moment. What made you guys break that rule in season 3? I just feel like Calhoun's "gently caress!" would have had a lot more impact if it had been the only swear in the whole season (along with being very well deserved). It was the only thing I perhaps would have liked to have seen done differently.

Thanks for an amazing ride you guys. VGHS is one of my favourite franchises ever. I've been with you guys since day one and I can't wait to see what you do next.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

mods please change name to The Law's Season 2 Fake Moustache

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mob posted:

mods please change name to The Law's Season 2 Fake Moustache

Video Game High School Season 3: Still not as popular as Fred.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i actually like this thing a lot.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Why are some indiegogo backers credited by email rather than by handle, as they are on rocketjump.com?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Randomly clicked into this thread and binged the entire first season due to some insomnia. Holy poo poo that was really cool. Thanks for the experience and wish you guys would get picked up for a real network show or something. I'd watch that.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

Episode 2 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTaYZACa0Ks

We do four mini stories following each character around prom night. Ki as a detective in a film noir was far and away the most fun to shoot.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrSpiffy posted:

Episode 2 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTaYZACa0Ks

We do four mini stories following each character around prom night. Ki as a detective in a film noir was far and away the most fun to shoot.

that was the best one by far. and i say this confidently despite it being the only part ive watched.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
I really didn't like episode 2 the 4 separate story arcs just doesn't seem to fit the style of this show, I didn't enjoy the season 1 episode done in the film noir style either though.

I did love the opening with Law and Calhoun having to pick up Bryan, I thought they were going to have it go in another direction and have Ted pick him up somehow with his father.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I completely forget why Ted and Brian are fighting.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
This show reminds me of Disney Channel movies, and I love Disney Channel movies for some reason. I'll have to check out season 3 this week.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

Hey-oo Episode 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-j9Yo3eKI

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I went looking for the old thread to say I saw your advertisement on the NYC subway, then it turns out I've missed half the season already. Time to catch up.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Was this season's code name "the road to hell" or something?

Best line in the episode was Games' pep talk to Brian mid game. Josh really nailed the realization that things were looking really good for Brian in that scene. And watching Jenny cold cock Ashley was great.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

Episode 4 is live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skaRCdcphc

Watch as teenagers around the internet learn to deal with emotions!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

MrSpiffy posted:

Episode 4 is live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skaRCdcphc

Watch as teenagers around the internet learn to deal with emotions!

I wonder how many of those teenagers will see the first big plot development coming based on the opening.

How did you land on referencing Lawrence of Arabia for that?

Max fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 3, 2014

marnold
Oct 1, 2010
^
We knew we wanted Freddie to die in a mundane way off-camera. We always had motorcycle jokes designed for freddie in all 3 seasons. Budget and what not always stopped them from happening. (like season 1 when Freddie comes in on his bike, that was supposed to be the oft-mentioned dirt bike, and he was supposed to fly in through the window... probably better we had a low budget). So a motorcycle crash felt simple and right.

And we knew we wanted to start with freddie, and IMPLY the death but not show it. And that it would then be a unique cold open in that it didnt involve Napalm, and we wanted to as quickly as possible get the audience's guard down. I mean, the next thing is a laugh track episode.

Anyways, long story short... we just sort of thought of it. It was just pitched after all those considerations were in place. And it sort of just felt right instantly. I love it for a lot of reasons, beyond that Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie. It sort of places Freddie as a mythic figure, ala Lawrence, but also as a simple man who enjoyed things in life. its the only time you see freddie happy. (well...). I like that it comments on the place webseries have in media... which is still essentially nothing compared to the grandeur of epic cinema. Its just a weird opening that seemed to work for all the right reasons.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

marnold posted:

^
We knew we wanted Freddie to die in a mundane way off-camera. We always had motorcycle jokes designed for freddie in all 3 seasons. Budget and what not always stopped them from happening. (like season 1 when Freddie comes in on his bike, that was supposed to be the oft-mentioned dirt bike, and he was supposed to fly in through the window... probably better we had a low budget). So a motorcycle crash felt simple and right.

And we knew we wanted to start with freddie, and IMPLY the death but not show it. And that it would then be a unique cold open in that it didnt involve Napalm, and we wanted to as quickly as possible get the audience's guard down. I mean, the next thing is a laugh track episode.

Anyways, long story short... we just sort of thought of it. It was just pitched after all those considerations were in place. And it sort of just felt right instantly. I love it for a lot of reasons, beyond that Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie. It sort of places Freddie as a mythic figure, ala Lawrence, but also as a simple man who enjoyed things in life. its the only time you see freddie happy. (well...). I like that it comments on the place webseries have in media... which is still essentially nothing compared to the grandeur of epic cinema. Its just a weird opening that seemed to work for all the right reasons.

I agree, I think it worked really well. I love that film too, and once I saw what you were doing, I figured Freddie wasn't long for this world, since this show (and this season in particular) seem too smart to not follow through on such a direct reference like that.

Interestingly, I have no idea where the story is going now, since Napalm won in the background. That's sort of exciting.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Just wanted to chime in and say I have been enjoying this final season very much. Had no idea you'd take it to darker places, a very interesting turn that has played out very well so far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had to do a double take on that cold open; I'd looked away for a second and thought I missed a thing that it turned out you guys intentionally omitted :v:

Anyway, very cool reference.

And the emotion you got out of...erm, your little brother, and the guy playing Brian, was incredible at the end there. I wasn't sure how I felt about Ted's deflections, but the payoff was worth it. Seriously well-directed.

(I guess if I wanted to get all deep and introspective and high school English class I'd say something about ~*how nicely it mirrored the conflicted and out-of-place feeling that comes with a sudden death*~ but who knows, really.)

I've been enjoying the season so far. I'm so glad you guys took on the season 1 requests for longer run times; they've suited VGHS nicely, and you're doing some fun things with the latitude. I'll admit that this season has felt disjointed at times, and I also forget why Ted and Brian were fighting, but I guess at this point I'll just hang on and trust you guys to have plotted a clean and satisfying resolution.

Who knew we'd ever be feeling bad for The Law?

And as long as I have your attention, I just I'll just throw in that I watch Man vs. Katamari more often than I'm proud of.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
As a side note, I just want to point out how great it is that family breakfast is conducted like a town counsel meeting and I love the little glimpses of all these bizarre side games we see.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Propaganda Machine posted:

Who knew we'd ever be feeling bad for The Law?

I've been cheering for The Law since season 1.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheChad posted:

We both know neither of us have souls or senses of decency, but I wasn't cheering for The Law until he went crazy in season 2.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

MrSpiffy posted:

Let me know what you think about 4.

You were NOT kidding. That was really hard to watch and I mean that as a serious compliment. Top notch acting from everyone involved in this one.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Propaganda Machine posted:

We both know neither of us have souls or senses of decency, but I wasn't cheering for The Law until he went crazy in season 2.

WHO IS THIS LAW FELLER Y'ALL KEEP TALKIN ABOUT?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm not the LAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW....

gently caress. Seriously, get a cable network to pick you up. Come on Comedy Central, Adam devines house party? gently caress that show. This is way better.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
gently caress man, you guys went dark with this poo poo. Any particular reason for the shift in tone? It's still dumb and cheesy in the ways that I like but the heavy moments are pretty much crushing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TheChad posted:

The Law is the true protagonist of the series. Brian D is actually the antagonist. I've been cheering for him since episode 1.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Max posted:

The Law is the true protagonist of the series. Brian D is actually the antagonist. I've been cheering for him since episode 1.

Agree. Brian D is kind of a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Wow, this season sucks so far. All this high school drama and angst. Where are the 360 no scopes? I've had to skip through most of the episodes, which is too bad since season 1 and 2 were so addictive.

I usually wouldn't mind changing up the format, but it just isn't what I watch VGHS for.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 10, 2014

• Locked thread