Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ben Soosneb posted:

I hope Orbital play glastonbury this year. Peter Capaldi would rock(synth?) the poo poo out of the Other Stage.

Get Craig Ferguson up there and have a Dreamboys reunion X Orbital crossover concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Get Craig Ferguson up there and have a Dreamboys reunion X Orbital crossover concert.

I find Craig Ferguson a bit weird, in that he's a British guy who's not at all famous in Britain. At all. Nothing. First I ever heard of him was the doctor who thing interview and song thing he did with Matt Smith.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ben Soosneb posted:

I find Craig Ferguson a bit weird, in that he's a British guy who's not at all famous in Britain. At all. Nothing. First I ever heard of him was the doctor who thing interview and song thing he did with Matt Smith.

Hey, he was in that one episode of Red Dwarf! (As an American, ironically)

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, he was in that one episode of Red Dwarf! (As an American, ironically)

And apparently James Corden is taking over his American chat show. Sorry America. Does that free him up to become the master? or Romana? or the Rani?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Even though I enjoyed the portrayal of the Time Lords as rear end in a top hat Greek Gods in The War Games, one aspect I liked about the 4th Doctor onwards portrayal of their stagnant society was that most of them would take one look at the stuff Rassilon made (10 million years earlier!) and say,"What the gently caress how the hell does this thing even work!?!"

I really love The War Games Time Lords. I get that the bumbling silly hat ones are a great commentary on out-of-touch, priviledged aristocrats having the authority and power to wield control over other everyone else without bothering to understand them or get their hands dirty, sure, okay. But I think the nigh omnipotent, comparatively plain-looking people who almost couldn't be bothered with the Doctor did just as good of a job of portraying that, they just inspire fear instead of parodic laughter. I think the silly hat Time Lords were a good idea for the writers during the Baker era, but unless they're playing them for comedy, they should switch back to the rear end in a top hat Greek gods (a tautology).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I prefer the rear end in a top hat Greek Gods (which yeah, calling them assholes is redundant) - their detached indifference stood as a great contrast to the Doctor's passion and morality.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ben Soosneb posted:

I hope Orbital play glastonbury this year. Peter Capaldi would rock(synth?) the poo poo out of the Other Stage.

Unless the Doctor is planning to timetravel them there, I'm pretty sure they split up?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
They reunited a couple of years ago and released a new album and toured and played at the Paralympics, but are now in an uncertain state.

I guess you could say that they're currently a quantum Orbital :v:

E: Ah gently caress, they announced they were done a couple of weeks ago :(

M for Mushroom
Jan 1, 2006

new york london paris munich
Just got round to watching the episode. I've been dreading the "Missy = female Master" idea since Missy was introduced in the first episode, but on balance, Missy already feels more like the Master than John Simm ever did... I might actually be okay with this!

(I think I'm more okay with this than the fact that the time rotor doesn't go up and down any more :argh: )

I hope the budget for the next episode stretches to more than 6 cyberman suits because they weren't really threatening at all. If he's pulling the RTD trick of "oh look, the x are invading Earth again...", he should at least pull the RTD trick of making there appear to be tonnes of them. I actually felt like the last shot was the worst of the entire episode, because: 1) there weren't enough cybermen, and 2) there were people in shot behind the cybermen... maybe this is a pitfall of filming in central London, but the entire idea that the cybermen would have just ignored some people in their path rather than going full #DELETE!# on them just seems wrong somehow.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

They could have Capaldi there, but he runs into the problem of running into himself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NZx2mvL7U

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

M for Mushroom posted:

(I think I'm more okay with this than the fact that the time rotor doesn't go up and down any more :argh: )

There is a silver thing in the middle of the fluorescent tubes that does go up and down, it's just really hard to see.

I wish they'd do something like the McGann time rotor again. The interlocking crystal rods were so cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The best tantrums on the Internet about Missy: http://usvsth3m.com/post/16-confusing-feelings-that-doctor-who-fans-have-had-about-the-latest-plot-twist

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ahahahahah

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gallifrey Base moron posted:

If the Doctor regenerated into a woman, would he change his name to The Nurse?

:psyduck: It's like this person has traveled to the future from the 1940s. This is somehow worse than the casual sexism in the other posts. How. :psyduck:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I wonder what he thought of Rory being a nurse.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Bicyclops posted:

I legitimately do not particularly care if they do this, especially since future writers can essentially just ignore it if they call him, say, Theta Sigma. How often do they bring up his half-human side, you know?

It also matter extraordinarily little.

My theory is it's actually just the Gallifreyan equivalent of John Smith.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

M for Mushroom posted:

Missy already feels more like the Master than John Simm ever did...

I strongly agree with this. The Mistress feels like having the real Master back again to me, as Gomez is able to seem both confident and insane in a way I never felt Simm really nailed.

Also! Apparently this episode got loads of complaints for some reason. The BBC's defense of it has a proper undercurrent of "these complaints are stupid" about it, which in this case I think is probably justified.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 5, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Specifically

BBC posted:

Complaint:

We received complaints from some viewers who were unhappy with a storyline about death and cremation.

BBC Response:

Doctor Who is a family drama with a long tradition of tackling some of the more fundamental questions about life and death. We were mindful of the themes explored in ‘Dark Water' and are confident that they are appropriate in the context of the heightened sci-fi world of the show.

The scene in which a character reveals 3W's unconventional theory about the afterlife was preceded by the same character warning the Doctor and Clara several times that what they were about to hear could be distressing. When the Doctor does hear these claims, he immediately pours scorn on them, dismissing them out of hand as a "con" and a "racket". It transpires that he is correct, and the entire concept is revealed to be a scam perpetrated by Missy.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Angela Christine posted:

Presumably. But what if there isn't a new set of biogenic molecules? Maybe it just changes a line of code from "regenerations=12" to "regenerations=24" and does nothing about the inevitable degradation. By the time you realize the problem you are knee deep in Space Alzheimer's and can't do anything about it.

Or maybe there are replacement biogenic molecules, but the experimental replacements just flat out aren't as good as the originals. That's why they don't give them to everyone. It works, but it is unstable. You could regenerate old, regenerate crazy, regenerate forgetful, or even regenerate as the wrong sex. :o

Regeneration uncertainty could put a meaningful fear of death back into the Doctor's life.

I liked the explanation from one of the Virgin New Adventures that they had a regeneration limit because after too many regenerations Time Lords started developing dis-associative identity disorder (multiple personalities).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

greententacle posted:

My theory is it's actually just the Gallifreyan equivalent of John Smith.

It's actually William Lambert.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

vegetables posted:

I strongly agree with this. The Mistress feels like having the real Master back again to me, as Gomez is able to seem both confident and insane in a way I never felt Simm really nailed.

I really, really like Simm as an actor (Life on Mars was some excellent television) and thought his version the Master was a great counterpoint to Tennant's (in particular) Doctor. But yeah, Gomez is doing a fantastic job with a more classic take on the character (take THAT Gallifrey Base). Honestly, the whole thing is working better than I could have imagined it would; "I was just doing it to mess with the Doctor" is a surprisingly satisfying explanation for drat near every facet of her plan.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

M for Mushroom posted:

I hope the budget for the next episode stretches to more than 6 cyberman suits because they weren't really threatening at all. If he's pulling the RTD trick of "oh look, the x are invading Earth again...", he should at least pull the RTD trick of making there appear to be tonnes of them. I actually felt like the last shot was the worst of the entire episode, because: 1) there weren't enough cybermen, and 2) there were people in shot behind the cybermen... maybe this is a pitfall of filming in central London, but the entire idea that the cybermen would have just ignored some people in their path rather than going full #DELETE!# on them just seems wrong somehow.
I strongly suspect that the Cybermen won't actually attack anyone, at least for now. This is just The Master showing off her amazing new immortality machines.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The last few Big Finish audios I've listened to have felt oddly restrained, as if Big Finish were playing it safe. Maybe it's pure coincidence, but I had to wonder if this was down to being produced at the same time as the first season of the television revival. Perhaps they were in a holding pattern because they wanted to see what the new show was like? Maybe they were concerned about alienating potential new listeners attracted by the revival? Were they terrified that the BBC was going to say,"Oh hey remember that license we gave you back when we didn't give a poo poo about Doctor Who anymore? About that...."

Whatever the case, it wasn't until Unregenerate that I felt like Big Finish was willing to push the envelope a little more and try out some weirder things. Previous recent stories had a lot of potential and just kind of meandered their way through the story. That's not the case with this one, which seems to take some cues from the revival (or is just a lucky coincidence) but also doesn't make any bones about getting weird. I can't recall but is this the first story where a companion is able to return home and hang out between adventures with the Doctor? I know that past Six audios have had Evelyn pop in to see a student every so often, but I can't recall if she would go back to teaching in-between the Doctor showing up to show her some new piece of history. The revival allowed the Doctor to bring Rose home (though not without incident) and spend time with her family between trips, and as the years progressed companions would be able to maintain both a life on earth and in the TARDIS, but it was a rarity in the classic series, and generally only happened as one-off breaks ala Tegan's brief absence from the show.

Mel is bored at home and appalled by modern media when she hears the familiar sound of the TARDIS and eagerly rushes to meet the Doctor, only to discover the TARDIS empty and a holographic message from the Doctor (at roughly the same time as this story was released, the 9th Doctor was leaving a holographic message for Rose in The Parting of the Ways) asking her to tail a mysterious man at a particular address at a particular time, in order to find him. Mel gets a ride with a rather stereotypical but enjoyable cabbie who sticks around as HER companion, and gets the lion's share of the first 2-3 episodes as the protagonist of the story as she tries to figure out where the Doctor is, what has happened to him, and how to fix things. Bonnie Langford is quite good in this, restrained mostly from her more grating boisterous portrayal and focusing more on her analytical skills as she has to take on a more active role and not just get into peril or hop about with a big smile on her face being an over-the-top character.

At the Kleise Institute, weird things are happening. Time seems to stand still there, a man called Louis meeting seemingly random people and offering them a quasi-Faustian bargain: Louis guarantees that their lives will be better from that day forward, with the catch being that one day before their death he will come and collect them and they must go with him. An immigrant named Johannes takes Louis up on this offer and then decades later is shocked when Louis shows up to collect him... looking not a day older than the first time they met. Louis is pleasant and non-threatening, yet oddly persuasive, and Johannes comes with him to the Kleise Institute and finds a bizarrely Victorian institute and no answers to the perplexing riddle of his life. He'd had a better life from the day he agreed to the bargain, and yet it is never specified whether this is due to anything that the Kleise Institute actually did or if they just took advantage of their future knowledge that his life was going to be better anyway. In any case, they inform him casually that he was set to be murdered by a burglar he surprised in his home the next night, and Johannes reveals his quality when his first concern is that by not being there to stop the burglar, he may have allowed that man to commit more crimes and possibly hurt or kill more people in the future. It's that mindset that has attracted the Kleise Institute to him, but quite horribly not because they value his personality or moral code, but rather the structure of his brain and how it works. At the moment he was going to die anyway, they plan to wipe his mind clean and insert.... something else.

What that thing is, well it's a pretty astonishing thing and a precursor to a lauded future episode of the television revival, and the reveal of what it was and what use it was intended for is one of the strengths of this story. It's actually not executed all that particularly well, but the concept is pretty horrific and what happens to the failed subjects is as well. The morality of the staff of the Kleise Institute is truly alien, which is appropriate, even though some question or worry about the ethics of what they're doing, it's of an intellectual sort. The indifference towards the "deaths" of their subjects is unsettling, especially because in the case of the likes of Johannes they clearly like him... but he's technically a dead man and so fair game to do with as they like. Their internal (and rarely external) debates are over the efficacy of their actions as opposed to the morality of them, and it makes at least two of the staff members quite interesting... and also makes the one who is the most clearly "bad" feel like a caricature by contrast.

The Doctor is present in most of the story and yet also absent. This story is set extremely soon after the abysmal Time and the Rani and the Doctor's regeneration into Sylvester McCoy. This is problematic for a few reasons, the most obvious being that McCoy's "normal" characterization in this story is based on his later portrayal of the character and not his early goofy one. Yes that is a better characterization, but by so explicitly setting this story at this point in his timeline they really shot themselves in the foot - he kind of needs to be a slightly silly and comedic character. What makes it worse is that the Kleise Institute makes note of his recent regeneration and point out that he's likely to be suffering personality quirks and oddness... and yet neither his normal or afflicted personas demonstrate him as anything but the intelligent and calculating character of latter episodes. McCoy performs the part very well and I don't have a problem with him, but rather the choice to set this character at a point in his life when he wasn't exactly acting that way yet.

With Mel as the protagonist, the Doctor's actions/motivations are mostly shrouded in mystery. We (and the other characters) aren't entirely sure if he is faking his condition or genuinely damaged, and it lends an air of anticipation to most scenes where you're waiting for the veil to be lifted and the Doctor to take control again. Of course that ends up happening, but in a more gradual and eased fashion that takes away from the impact somewhat. The reason why he has been acting the way he did, how afflicted he actually was, and how intentional his "accident" was are all revealed and make sense, but in a kind of muted way. The story has a lot of interesting things to say, and isn't afraid to be weird... but it doesn't quite pull off the execution to great effect.

Unregenerate is a welcome return to the weird potential of Big Finish and the audio format. It makes good use of its small cast, gives Mel one of her better stories so far, and with the benefit of hindsight you can see Big Finish attempting to bring their universe closer in line with the new revival. The resolution is a little pat and the fate of the test subjects (and the cabbie!) feels like far too big a thing to just leave hanging out there (maybe they'll return in a later story, or just never be heard of again) - what's important though is the Doctor stressing why he takes down places like the Kleise Institute the way he does. The man who topples regimes doesn't do it with violence or destruction, but by massaging or changing mindsets and ideas - anybody can blow up a machine or kill a person (like in Flip-Flop) but that just sets them back. How do you affect real change? By actually changing the minds of the people involved - not through force but by making them question their own ideals and morality, and understanding why doing things the way they have been is wrong or otherwise doesn't work. That's the 7th Doctor, and even though at this point in his timeline he shouldn't exactly be acting like this, it's still refreshing to see him so effectively put this philosophy into action. This is a good story that could have been better, but at least it is trying to be something more than a standard audio story, and that is refreshing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 5, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, Unregenerate was weird, but I really liked it.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

docbeard posted:

I really, really like Simm as an actor (Life on Mars was some excellent television) and thought his version the Master was a great counterpoint to Tennant's (in particular) Doctor. But yeah, Gomez is doing a fantastic job with a more classic take on the character (take THAT Gallifrey Base). Honestly, the whole thing is working better than I could have imagined it would; "I was just doing it to mess with the Doctor" is a surprisingly satisfying explanation for drat near every facet of her plan.

I think Gomez wouldn't work as well opposite Tennant, and vice-versa for Simm and Capaldi. Simm had the quirky wordplay and raw emotional outbursts that made him a foil to Tennant, which I don't think Gomez could pull off. Capaldi's doctor is more inscrutable, and has a lot of issues with intimacy, which Missy plays off very well - snogging the doctor to throw him off balance, as well as the twisted moment with Dr Chang ("I have a picture of you looking so sweet... now say something nice before I kill you").

I like that they're using the Master's ability to regenerate to make a more dynamic character, using him/her as a foil rather than the old series cackling moustache man. Which they kind of brought back with the Sheriff of Nottingham.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:psyduck: It's like this person has traveled to the future from the 1940s. This is somehow worse than the casual sexism in the other posts. How. :psyduck:

The best is:

quote:

Everything Whofan86 loved about Doctor Who is gone. Everything. The Master’s penis. Everything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The best is:

I hope the "86" in his username refers to his favorite year of Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fil5000 posted:

I hope the "86" in his username refers to his favorite year of Who.

Probably either just the lowest number there was available or birth year

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Soooo.. it's November now. Let's talk random gift giving to strangers for Christmas and gauging interest in the Secret Santa again this year. So, any takers? (this is just a preliminary check at this point before I run off a big official post).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm interested. I've never participated before, but I honestly regretted it last year.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to back track to my post, but did I word that Nurse line exactly like that?

I think I may be misquoted on the internets guys!

(For those who didn't read my nonsense, I was complaining about the idea of changing the Master's name to Mistress, and trying to come up with a good feminized version of Doctor but couldn't. I want her to be the Master goddamnit!)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Probably either just the lowest number there was available or birth year

I know, but I like the idea that this deranged fan that believes Who is dead now the Master has no penis believes that Terror of the Vervoids is the loftiest peak the show has reached.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Burkion posted:

I'm not going to back track to my post, but did I word that Nurse line exactly like that?

(For those who didn't read my nonsense, I was complaining about the idea of changing the Master's name to Mistress, and trying to come up with a good feminized version of Doctor but couldn't. I want her to be the Master goddamnit!)

Nope, that post was from Gallifrey Base, but it was very similar to yours. The article takes it out of context.

quote:

My thoughts on Missy's identity:

[. . .]

4. Far too sexist (why would The Master not retain the name of the The Master? Can only men be Masters? If the Doctor regenerated into a woman, would he change his name to The Nurse? Seemed a pointless shift).

It runs into the same problem that your post did (a nurse is not a female doctor :psyduck:), but it's better-intentioned than the article tries to make it look.

Also, GallifreyBase is the most hilarious den of autism I've ever seen in my life, holy poo poo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The soundtrack for "Day of the Doctor" and "Time of the Doctor" will be released on November 24th. Took them long enough.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I liked Simm's Master, but I think he was definitely best at the times when he played cool, calculating evil like when he was walking down the street all suited up looking for Martha. If there had been more scenes like that, and maybe only say 10% of his scenes were him being wacky it would have been much better. Not that I would trade the Scissor Sisters scene for anything in the world, because that was perfect.

That's just his first appearance though. Crazy Super Saiyan cannibal Master was just terrible. Missy OTOH seems much much better. Jacobi nailed it in just a few seconds, and she's drat close in the limited dialogue we've had from her so far. Going back and rewatching the scenes of her pre-reveal including in other episodes knowing what I know now, she's really Mastery.

The_Doctor posted:

There is a silver thing in the middle of the fluorescent tubes that does go up and down, it's just really hard to see.

I wish they'd do something like the McGann time rotor again. The interlocking crystal rods were so cool.

Or the Rani's spinning rings. :allears:

Fil5000 posted:

I know, but I like the idea that this deranged fan that believes Who is dead now the Master has no penis believes that Terror of the Vervoids is the loftiest peak the show has reached.

#PIPANDJANEBESTBAKERS

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Yeah, I do agree that the Master would be a better title for her.

Gomez is doing a great classic take on the character, too. She oozes Ainley while still maintaining the glee of Simm, which is an excellent counterpoint to Capaldi's take on the Doctor. We got some real quality tears from people with regressive opinions, which is great. I even like the "Please, Time Lady; I'm old-fashioned." line, because it feels very much like something the Master would say.

But "Mistress" sounds a bit awkward, as does just about anything with the "stress" suffix. There's a reason we call women "actors" now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So what's the deal with Chris Eccleston? He doesn't seem to come up in Doctor Who discussions as much as the other Doctors. Does he not participate in interviews about his time in the show, or is he not a fan of his work?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The fact that he comes up less in discussion, I think, just comes down to the fact that his run on the show was so brief. Less to talk about.

I'll leave the behind the scenes details to people more knowledgeable about the situation than me though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah let me just say-so long as they tone down the snogging to Simms Ten levels, I am totally fine with how the Master has been portrayed so far. I just loath the idea that they changed her name to fit her gender, that is nonsense and utterly moronic.

Especially given that Mistress doesn't make ANY goddamn sense in this context- Master is a doctorate title thing, which is why the Master has it to begin with, to compare and contrast with the Doctor's own doctorate title. There is no Mistress Of Whatever in college, last I checked.

Officially anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

I liked Simm's Master, but I think he was definitely best at the times when he played cool, calculating evil like when he was walking down the street all suited up looking for Martha. If there had been more scenes like that, and maybe only say 10% of his scenes were him being wacky it would have been much better. Not that I would trade the Scissor Sisters scene for anything in the world, because that was perfect.

One part of Simm's performance that I like is that when he's in this sort of manic, hammy supervillain mode, it's always where other people can see it. He's putting on a show for them, just as Ten often did. When it's just him and the Doctor, though? Then he drops the pretence and becomes dead serious, just like when Ten confronts his enemies one on one.

• Locked thread