Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

so which is somb, should I be eliminated because I'm a threat, or because I'm dumb and submitted six letter words, or is it you're just grasping any reason to have me eliminated because you simply don't like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I kind of want to see what Somber says when I talk to him out of thread, so ##vote winvirus to keep my hope alive.

At this point in the game, I don't really think anybody is more of a threat than anybody else.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

winvirus posted:

I think this is a fair strategy, as well, because it's essentially a form of lurking.

I'd disagree; it's not lurking, it's a strategy. Lurking implies that they're not playing, but by consciously withholding they're trying to avoid the blame for eliminations that happen.

Voting them for it is also a strategy to force them to stop hiding behind non-committal behaviors, but it's not the same as voting out a lurker. I'd do it as a self-preservation tactic right now for sure, but with the exception of merk who's out of the country I don't think anyone's been truly lurking thus far.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm going to be going to the gym and the market right after work, I probably won't be around for deadline. Might be able to check in on my phone for a last minute switch since all the activity seems to happen once I've left the office.

A lurker vote is safe, it's just going to keep the status quo. If that's what happens, that's what happens, but I think some thunderdome style hijinks would be more exciting.

winvirus posted:

so which is somb, should I be eliminated because I'm a threat, or because I'm dumb and submitted six letter words, or is it you're just grasping any reason to have me eliminated because you simply don't like me

Oh, knock that off. You know this is all in the spirit of the game. The SECOND VOLUME vote suggestion was a joke. You said there's no way I would beat you in final two, why would I want to keep someone around who I know could beat me? You're dangerous no matter the game, especially one with out of thread communication. I still remember Leviathan mafia!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Strong Mouse posted:

I am going to wait and see what other people's reasons for choosing somebody are before I decide who I think should go.

Thanatosian posted:

Personally, all else being equal, I'm inclined to vote for people who don't vote. I feel like it's the bare minimum for participation in the game; quite literally the least you can do.

Strong Mouse posted:

I kind of want to see what Somber says when I talk to him out of thread, so ##vote winvirus to keep my hope alive.

At this point in the game, I don't really think anybody is more of a threat than anybody else.

Now that's interesting. Strong Mouse was sitting on his vote to avoid making a move, then when it's brought up we should vote for people like that, he immediately voted. Mouse, was that vote at all influenced by the emerging conversation?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Byers2142 posted:

Now that's interesting. Strong Mouse was sitting on his vote to avoid making a move, then when it's brought up we should vote for people like that, he immediately voted. Mouse, was that vote at all influenced by the emerging conversation?

Yes, the conversation got me to vote. I felt it would be better if I put my vote out there now instead of waiting closer to the deadline.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

I'd disagree; it's not lurking, it's a strategy. Lurking implies that they're not playing, but by consciously withholding they're trying to avoid the blame for eliminations that happen.

Voting them for it is also a strategy to force them to stop hiding behind non-committal behaviors, but it's not the same as voting out a lurker. I'd do it as a self-preservation tactic right now for sure, but with the exception of merk who's out of the country I don't think anyone's been truly lurking thus far.

I think not voting makes for a worse game for a couple of reasons:

1) It makes for a more boring game; what's the point of having a 13-person game if five people are making all the decisions?

2) It makes it easier to game the votes at the last minute, since it's more likely for one or two votes to sway the margin.

On games I've played on other forums, there have generally been penalties for not voting, usually something like "if you miss two votes, your slot goes to someone on the waiting list." I can see why that wouldn't work in a game like this, though.

The other issue is that not voting is basically the same as voting for whoever has a plurality. I mean, right now, a non-vote is the same as a vote for winvirus, because at the very least, you don't care enough about him getting voted off to vote for somebody else (like, say, just as an example, Byers). And you can say not caring is somehow different from voting for him, but it's not, really, except that if you don't care, why play the game in the first place?

But if not voting is really an accepted strategy around these parts, I suppose I'll have to go along to get along.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

winvirus posted:

You would have to do it right now, or else they could both switch, putting him at 3, and then you unvote, putting him at 2, and due to tiebreaker rules, he would still be lynched, rather than the switcher (Somber/Rarity)

Not that it matters now, but previously, if I had switched my vote to Somberbrero, it would have put him in first. And since that would be the only way for my vote to be decisive, would have been what I'd done if I'd switched.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey Winvirus are you around?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I meant to propose this earlier but got distracted:

Who wants to vote for merk?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Ugh, voting. The worst part of games like this. I could vote for merk, since he hasn't had the opportunity to add much to the conversation. I could vote for someone I don't like. Or I could just vote for winvirus, since he's the one currently ahead and a vote for anyone else wouldn't make a difference (except for Somber, I guess).

...What the heck. Until someone can convince me otherwise, ##vote winvirus.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

MildManeredManikin posted:

I meant to propose this earlier but got distracted:

Who wants to vote for merk?

Ninja'd!

Ah, I was thinking of that myself. I mean, it sucks that he's in Germany or whatever and can't post, but them's the breaks. Keeping quiet does no one any favors in this game. I'll change my vote if you think that's a good course of action.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like Merk is a couple of different factions can get behind here. He's a strong player, if that's important to you. He's not added any information if that's important to you. He's certainly not as available as the other players are.

##vote Merk

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I would prefer to be the day 2 lynch, so that you'll have both my location and my word, and not just my word.

Perhaps we should vote out someone who has inadvertently revealed their location.

It's just a thought.

##unvote
##vote Nevermore

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

winvirus posted:

I would prefer to be the day 2 lynch, so that you'll have both my location and my word, and not just my word.

Perhaps we should vote out someone who has inadvertently revealed their location.

It's just a thought.

##unvote
##vote Nevermore

That's a good catch actually, I'll consider it.

What are your thoughts on merk?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That's funny, I was just thinking earlier that I feel like nevermore revealed his location which isn't a good idea.

If I understand the rules correctly we still find out the location of the person we kill on odd numbered day the day after though, or did I misread that? It just takes an extra day?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The placement is only revealed for people who are eliminated on even-numbered days. I won't ever reveal the placement of segments from odd-numbered-day eliminations.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I have zero thoughts on merk, because he has barely posted.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Poque posted:

The placement is only revealed for people who are eliminated on even-numbered days. I won't ever reveal the placement of segments from odd-numbered-day eliminations.

I am literally the worst. Everyone visit me tonight so you can tell me how to play the game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't plan to vote merk today Manny. It's a decent idea at a compromise but I'd feel cheap.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You guys sort of suck. Somber, when have you backed down from feeling cheap before?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I think not voting makes for a worse game for a couple of reasons:

1) It makes for a more boring game; what's the point of having a 13-person game if five people are making all the decisions?

2) It makes it easier to game the votes at the last minute, since it's more likely for one or two votes to sway the margin.

On games I've played on other forums, there have generally been penalties for not voting, usually something like "if you miss two votes, your slot goes to someone on the waiting list." I can see why that wouldn't work in a game like this, though.

The other issue is that not voting is basically the same as voting for whoever has a plurality. I mean, right now, a non-vote is the same as a vote for winvirus, because at the very least, you don't care enough about him getting voted off to vote for somebody else (like, say, just as an example, Byers). And you can say not caring is somehow different from voting for him, but it's not, really, except that if you don't care, why play the game in the first place?

But if not voting is really an accepted strategy around these parts, I suppose I'll have to go along to get along.

It's a Nader vote, yeah.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

You guys sort of suck. Somber, when have you backed down from feeling cheap before?

:drat: There's kicking a guy while he's down and then there's curbstomping him in his sleep.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

It's just a thought.

##unvote
##vote Nevermore

... holy poo poo, I missed that.

##unvote
##vote Nevermore

merk not posting because of travel is something I've seen in the past and he always starts up again once he's done. merk's also likely to be good at theorycraft this game. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe work with him some. He's lurking, yes, but it's not a lurking that will continue.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

:drat: There's kicking a guy while he's down and then there's curbstomping him in his sleep.

No, no. MMM would want you awake. To feel it.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Probably best to ##vote Nevermore sorry guy

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

##vote Nevermore I missed his positioning slip too, but I'd rather lock down that slot/word combo than not.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
We should eliminate whoever voted me. Real weak sauce. Just landed.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

We should eliminate whoever voted me. Real weak sauce. Just landed.

Merk's word is WHOEVER

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Nevermore did let his position slip, and I was only voting winvirus so that somber didn't get booted.

##unvote
##vote Nevermore

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote MmM

His word is jerk.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

ActingPower posted:

Ugh, voting. The worst part of games like this. I could vote for merk, since he hasn't had the opportunity to add much to the conversation. I could vote for someone I don't like. Or I could just vote for winvirus, since he's the one currently ahead and a vote for anyone else wouldn't make a difference (except for Somber, I guess).

...What the heck. Until someone can convince me otherwise, ##vote winvirus.

This dude is a real snake. At least MMM had the brass to put a lovely vote on me. You just set yourself up to be lovely.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote ActingShitty

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
PoP you should call me

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It seems that Nevermore is fairly inevitable at this point.

I'm maintaining my Byers/Nader vote for later "told you so" purposes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am calling Hal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Someone link the spreadsheet please. I haven't guessed yet today

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Strong Mouse posted:

I was bored, so I made a Spreadsheet with all the words that I know haven't worked. You can add your own if you want.

Here you go.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Strong Mouse posted:

I was bored, so I made a Spreadsheet with all the words that I know haven't worked. You can add your own if you want.

merk posted:

PoP you should call me

Donezo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey merk is here. Well that's good enough for me. ##unvote

• Locked thread