Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
going back and listening to old Ab tracks before his boring album dropped, Longterm 2 is so good

be a man
soul cry
turn me up
drift away

I want the old Ab back, dude used to have a real grip on the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I went from being meh on that Kendrick song to liking it a lot. Good positive music and a cool music video. It's like a rap version of Happy, meaning we'll all hate it in 6 months when we never stop hearing it but until then

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Cadillactica sounds like a fun listen to

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HOjonFndeA

ps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_imIk4eU08&t=29s

pps Le$ steak x shrimp vol 1 probly check this out after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmeO7RRQ928

Elvis Presley Blvd (Remix) ft. Yo Gotti, Project Pat, Juicy J, MJG & Young Dolph

get up to speed ya queers

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 5, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I really, really like this. Gonna have to check the album out.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unironically this. Excuse My French was the surprise standout of 2013 for me, idc what anyone says. I don't love that track but hopefully it's not even on the album since it's like a year old already.

This poo poo had me more concerned than the election tbh.

TenaciousTomato posted:

ps ironically gibbs on a song called gunnin' for the throne

Nice. I miss Elzhi.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I dont' know why but I always keep French Montanas new tracks on repeat for a couple days. He's good at making a couple really catchy tunes, but most of his albums are kind of eh.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

I dont' know why but I always keep French Montanas new tracks on repeat for a couple days. He's good at making a couple really catchy tunes, but most of his albums are kind of eh.

Yeah pretty much this. He's got a lot of old gems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-TOeBse-PA

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slaughterhouse x DJ Premier ain't bad. Crooked I goes in. Got me especially hyped for that Royce project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baEqe2_vH30

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

im gay posted:

I wasn't really feeling it, some tracks I liked, others were meh. 6ix Commandments was one of my favorite releases last year though and I still bump it regularly. Looking forward to their upcoming album though. Rip Infamous.

It and that new Future have been on constant rotation since last week. There are too many skits but none of the real songs are skips. Three 6 is the best at posse songs and every song has at least one good feature, Fiend and MJG both stand out. I like that they've gone back to that earlier horrorcore sound. I used to think it was weak how much they sampled their own music but now that that early 90's Memphis sound has become influential it adds an extra layer of authenticity since it's their sound people are reimagining or whatever.

I think lean is unhealthy though and it gets glorified too much, especially on Hydrocodone. Also I don't understand giving shoutouts to Pimp C and DJ Screw when you make songs about the thing that helped kill them.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
K.R.I.T.'s album is real nice.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Mickolution posted:

This is great.

I'll second the love for this track.. Jay Rock channels his rage into hot songs, which I like.

Anyone else in SomethingAwful Rap thread wish Dr. Dre/Jay-Z/Eminem were still young & putting out badass tracks every three months? alansmithbee? doctor thodt? TenaciousTomato? thoughts?

I haven't been real impressed with Migos lately. They seem like teenagers in grownups' clothes.

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-6th-annual-10-softest-niggas-in-the-game/
Ghostface Killa goes in with the commentary here (apparently it's not really him, it's actually just some blogger). I thought it was worth sharing in a rap discussion thread anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qmZ_J7WGc
New Track from Ghostface. Pretty badass

e: I don't really understand the hate I'm getting from you, Yuzenn. LOX is a pretty good rap group but not great. Compare LOX with Jay-Z's company, Roc Nation: every single album the Roc has put out has been influential & successful, even the bad ones. Has LOX even put anything out recently that was good besides that one track? Name one hot song from LOX, Yuzenn, if you can even find one. I'm not trying to hate on LOX, I'm just sayin, they are not mainstream stars like Jay-Z/Drake/Rick Ross/Nicki Minaj, etc. Even Eminem does big numbers financially & he is basically a middle-aged dude.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 5, 2014

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Where are you from A3th3r? Time or place I suppose.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I wanna kiss you on the mouth you stupid sack of poo poo

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I swear we get this post every couple months and somehow it's never actually a troll

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

A3th3r posted:

(apparently it's not really him, it's actually just some blogger)
lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A3th3r posted:

(apparently it's not really him, it's actually just some blogger)

Lmao

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine

A3th3r posted:

Anyone else in SomethingAwful Rap thread wish Dr. Dre/Jay-Z/Eminem were still young & putting out badass tracks every three months? alansmithbee? doctor thodt? TenaciousTomato? thoughts?

november comin in hot as gently caress.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah A3th3r

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mustafa posted:

K.R.I.T.'s album is real nice.

i find tracks 2 and 3 a little hard to sit through but it's really really good after that

edit: actually track 2 isn't bad but the hook is a bit overdramatic

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

A3th3r posted:

I'll second the love for this track.. Jay Rock channels his rage into hot songs, which I like.

I haven't been real impressed with Migos lately. They seem like teenagers in grownups' clothes.

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-6th-annual-10-softest-niggas-in-the-game/
Ghostface Killa goes in with the commentary here (apparently it's not really him, it's actually just some blogger). I thought it was worth sharing in a rap discussion thread anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qmZ_J7WGc
New Track from Ghostface. Pretty badass

e: I don't really understand the hate I'm getting from you, Yuzenn. LOX is a pretty good rap group but not great. Compare LOX with Jay-Z's company, Roc Nation: every single album the Roc has put out has been influential & successful, even the bad ones. Has LOX even put anything out recently that was good besides that one track? Name one hot song from LOX, Yuzenn, if you can even find one. I'm not trying to hate on LOX, I'm just sayin, they are not mainstream stars like Jay-Z/Drake/Rick Ross/Nicki Minaj, etc. Even Eminem does big numbers financially & he is basically a middle-aged dude.

I was not sure you were serious and trolling us all but I think you actually do not know about the LOX. By your logic Wu-Tang or the Ruff Ryders or the Diplomats weren't that great of a rap group cause they don't put up Jay-Z numbers (which is a completely terrible barometer of how to judge rap talent, otherwise Macklemore is top 5). By the way, the majority of Jay-Z's material was put out by Roc-A-Fella, not Roc Nation (which artists include WILLOW SMITH and only have 7 total albums produced since 2008). The LOX were signed to Bad Boy, which had tremendous success in its own right.

Lets get serious here for a second; have you never heard "All about the Benjamins", "We'll Always Love Big Papa", "Money, Power, Respect", "Wild Out"? I would find that very hard to believe unless you only recently started to listen to rap and then I would understand why you wouldn't know much about the LOX. If that's the case, welcome to the thread but you have some catching up to do listening wise.....

They don't put out "mainstream" music these days but their issue hasn't been the volume of music they put out, since collectively they have put out a TON of rap music over the years and i'm not even counting the easily hundreds of mixtape releases/freestyles and singles. Even looking at their individual careers Styles P and Jadakiss had one decent solo album (Sheek Louch is debatable but didn't do very well saleswise). Individually and collectively the Lox has had success and they are one of most iconic rap groups I can think of.

*On a different note that Slaughterhouse track is going to get me to pre-order that ShadyXV album, loving it.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 5, 2014

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Is this a good time to ask for a LOX primer?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Isnt there supposed to be a new migos tape out today?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The only Lox songs I ever liked were gently caress You(classic), Breathe Easy, and Mighty D Block. I like them better on records with just 2 of them like Sheek and Jada or Styles and Sheek.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Crumbletron posted:

Is this a good time to ask for a LOX primer?

I've got these on rotation on my phone now.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Yuzenn posted:

I was not sure you were serious and trolling us all but I think you actually do not know about the LOX. By your logic Wu-Tang or the Ruff Ryders or the Diplomats weren't that great of a rap group cause they don't put up Jay-Z numbers (which is a completely terrible barometer of how to judge rap talent, otherwise Macklemore is top 5). By the way, the majority of Jay-Z's material was put out by Roc-A-Fella, not Roc Nation (which artists include WILLOW SMITH and only have 7 total albums produced since 2008). The LOX were signed to Bad Boy, which had tremendous success in its own right.

Lets get serious here for a second; have you never heard "All about the Benjamins", "We'll Always Love Big Papa", "Money, Power, Respect", "Wild Out"? I would find that very hard to believe unless you only recently started to listen to rap and then I would understand why you wouldn't know much about the LOX. If that's the case, welcome to the thread but you have some catching up to do listening wise.....

They don't put out "mainstream" music these days but their issue hasn't been the volume of music they put out, since collectively they have put out a TON of rap music over the years and i'm not even counting the easily hundreds of mixtape releases/freestyles and singles. Even looking at their individual careers Styles P and Jadakiss had one decent solo album (Sheek Louch is debatable but didn't do very well saleswise). Individually and collectively the Lox has had success and they are one of most iconic rap groups I can think of.

*On a different note that Slaughterhouse track is going to get me to pre-order that ShadyXV album, loving it.

I have not heard of those songs, Yuzenn, so I'll check em out later. LOX reminds me of Wu-Tang clan, which is not really my cup of tea per se (too jokey/corny). They seem to attract the sort of fans that are anti-mainstream just to be anti-mainstream. You know, like the people who hate Apple because it's so great, those sorts of people. I prefer more the 50cent 'How to Rob' brand of hip-hop.

Also, not trying to take you back to Earth from Hell or anything but Rihanna is like the biggest pop star in the world at the moment, signed to Roc Nation. Hate on that all you want. All I'm saying is when comparing the LOX to the ROC, the LOX loses, Yuzenn. That's all. Admittedly, Rita Ora is not -that- hot of a success anywhere but England, and in any case they are both pop stars & not really rappers per se.

I love me some Jay-Z. Now why can't he drop singles like this every month or two?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScYNjoZlgug
"This particular watch be a one of one."

LL Cool J just dropped a new single that is pretty badass:
http://nahright.com/news/2014/11/03/ll-cool-j-break-your-face-prod-by-808-mafia/
LL Cool J Break Your Face

Pretty cool/really wierd ASAP Rocky x Skrillex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eWdbMBYlH4

I like Macklemore. I think he's ok. That Cadillac song is pretty catchy and that Grammy Kendrick Lamar line was funny. Seems like the sort of thing I would do if I were a rapper. I wouldn't say I'm a stan of him or anything tho.

e:

Cool Buff Man posted:

I wanna kiss you on the mouth you stupid sack of poo poo

lmao... ooookayyy Cool Buff Man you really got me dude. You are suuuuch a troll ohboy a real zinger from Cool Buff Man. Get out of this thread already dude

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 5, 2014

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
a masterful troll

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this can't be real life

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A3th3r posted:

a real zinger from Cool Buff Man

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

wow...

CortezFantastic posted:

http://www.audiomack.com/song/2dbz/lorde-drive-by-1

This is pretty good. A bit of Danny Brown flavor.

From a while back, but this dude put a mixtape out the other day (this isn't actually on the tape though), it has a few pretty good tracks but nothing that really sticks out as amazing.

He seems pretty competent though, it'll be interesting to see what he puts out in the future - he's got an 2012 tape which I haven't listened to yet, but I gather he had some issues with depression/alcohol after it's release, hence the two and half year gap -.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOQIPbKRSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czpQR-Hu0Zg

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

thathonkey posted:

Isnt there supposed to be a new migos tape out today?

3h 38m to go

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

ok ok one more track before I go to work. I got to share this one I just found it this is seriously great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFsO7tmfT_s

Cam'ron goes in hard on Jay-Z

Old School NY Rap needs to come back already!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

A3th3r posted:

I have not heard of those songs, Yuzenn, so I'll check em out later. LOX reminds me of Wu-Tang clan, which is not really my cup of tea per se (too jokey/corny). They seem to attract the sort of fans that are anti-mainstream just to be anti-mainstream. You know, like the people who hate Apple because it's so great, those sorts of people. I prefer more the 50cent 'How to Rob' brand of hip-hop.

Also, not trying to take you back to Earth from Hell or anything but Rihanna is like the biggest pop star in the world at the moment, signed to Roc Nation. Hate on that all you want. All I'm saying is when comparing the LOX to the ROC, the LOX loses, Yuzenn. That's all. Admittedly, Rita Ora is not -that- hot of a success anywhere but England, and in any case they are both pop stars & not really rappers per se.

On a different note, LL Cool J just dropped a new single that is pretty badass:
http://nahright.com/news/2014/11/03/ll-cool-j-break-your-face-prod-by-808-mafia/
LL Cool J Break Your Face

I like Macklemore. I think he's ok. That Cadillac song is pretty catchy and that Grammy Kendrick Lamar line was funny. Seems like the sort of thing I would do if I were a rapper. I wouldn't say I'm a stan of him or anything tho.

e:

lmao... ooookayyy Cool Buff Man you really got me dude. You are suuuuch a troll ohboy a real zinger from Cool Buff Man. Get out of this thread already dude

I loving love this thread.....

Somehow you know about Wu-Tang but not a group who made records with BIG, Mariah Carey, and Jennifer Lopez. I don't know if you are literally 11 or 75, or if this is the greatest troll in history.

Where do I start? Wu-Tang is jokey/corny? The Lox being Anti-Mainstream? How can you be into the "50 Cent How to Rob" rap and not the dudes who did it the same way right before him? The LOX was in the Ruff Ryders ffs, it doesn't get any more angrier and hardcore for rap in that era.

It's like you missed the entire 90's and early to mid 2000's catalog of rap.......

*Before we continue on this wonderous ride, I will reiterate that its foolish to make album sales the measure of an artists talent or relevance. If you are going to compare everyone else to Jay-Z or Eminem your list of people that are good begins and ends with them (Well really Kanye and Eminem because he's sold more than Jay).

Also, Rihanna has not released a single record under Roc Nation, they just manage her. This is comparing apples to oranges here however, the Lox are artists and Roc Nation is a record label. I mean Angie Martinez is on Roc Nation, Angie can't rap!

http://on.cc.com/QDjE4m skip to 3:30 to get that last part

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was reading an article recently and it mentioned Tyler, the Creator kinda offhand as a comparison with dudes who were relatively ordinary but got by a lot on shock value initially to generate buzz. And that made me decide to revisit a lot of the early OF stuff. So if you're entirely uninterested in OF and/or don't like long, possibly rambly posts you might as well skip by this.

Obviously a lot of the initial buzz has died down (although I believe they still got their show, and at least Tyler and Earl seem to have broken through somewhat towards being more "traditional" with their release schedules rather than just forgotten about entirely) but I was wondering if all the early excitement I had for the initial releases had any validity. (I'm also kinda ignoring Jet Age of Tomorrow since they never seemed to get in the "main" stuff and Pyramid Vritra seems to be doing fine outside that envelope).

Early on there was a lot of comparisons with Wu-Tang, which I don't think are entirely off-base. The biggest differences I see are that Wu did most of their stuff in a different environment (and all had major label deals when that was actually a good thing), and frankly most of the Wu dudes were/are far better at rapping. That said, I still think the albums from that period hold up well. A lot of that is the function of the production-looking at all the early OF stuff he did, plus Goblin and Wolf, I really think it's hard to not consider Tyler one of the best producers working today. He doesn't really do much (anything?) outside his own stuff anymore it seems (I don't think he did anything on Earl's album, and the Hodgy/Mellowhype stuff was mostly Left Brain iirc) but there's always all sorts of stuff going on in his beats, yet they don't really seem cluttered or overwhelming. Dude's a decent enough rapper, and Earl's good, but I think both him and Earl were seriously helped by the production. A lot of the time what I before thought was changes in flow were actually some subtle shifts in the underlying production. Like a lot of the emotional impact and whatnot were actually due to Tyler shifting gears with the beat.

As for non-Tyler dudes, Earl gets a decent amount of press but I'm unsure if the brainwashing totally ruined him or not. His last album was something I couldn't get into much at all. Hodgy's actually gotten better as a rapper, but he was always in kinda an odd spot. I always thought a lot of the more out-there stuff didn't suit him, and trying to keep up with Earl and Tyler didn't emphasize his strengths. His very first album I always kinda liked even if it was a bit sloppy-besides the production which I liked, it was just a basic album about growing up as a pretty regular black dude. That type of subject matter isn't always exciting to people (understandably so) and I'm not saying it was amazing, but I will say there's definitely a room for young black dudes to rap about their lives when they're not trying to be super-gangsters or w/e. He low key released a couple of decent EPs more in that vein, but those were largely ignored. The Mellowhype stuff seemed to degrade a lot though-Left Brain's production quit being as weird, and the rapping was functional but nothing more. Domo's first album I liked alot, and like Hodgy he seemed to get better as a rapper but nobody really cared. Mike G still (to my knowledge) still hasn't released anything outside his EP.

Well that's a lot of words, but yeah Tyler's actually really good! And the other OF dudes are all decent, even if they don't dominate the music conversation as much as before. I also think OF is probably the closest corollary to see how the A$AP dudes will do-whenever one of the main dudes come out with something you'll get a lot of buzz and stuff but the minute it's released you'll start hearing about how they were all hype and whatever since they're no longer dropping music every 2 months or something (fwiw I think Tyler's a better rapper than Rocky, and a better producer than any of the A$AP dudes).

(as an aside, based on a cursory exam of other stuff dude wrote I don't think the guy who wrote the article I mentioned really knows much about rap).

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

Also, Rihanna has not released a single record under Roc Nation, they just manage her. This is comparing apples to oranges here however, the Lox are artists and Roc Nation is a record label. I mean Angie Martinez is on Roc Nation, Angie can't rap!

http://on.cc.com/QDjE4m skip to 3:30 to get that last part

Watch your mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzY0YReR1E

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Haha holy gently caress I forgot that Lil' Mo ever existed, and goddamn Angie was fine when she was younger. O_O

Good find

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 5, 2014

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment, especially the comparison to A$AP. I have to say though that I've enjoyed a lot more A$AP tracks than OF over the past few years :shrug:.

Like Ant sounds like garbage here, Juice sorta approaches it but I'd rather listen to it than most of Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmHkzRb90D8

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment, especially the comparison to A$AP. I have to say though that I've enjoyed a lot more A$AP tracks than OF over the past few years :shrug:.

Same, big difference is ASAP doesn't go corny/embarrassing the way some Odd Future stuff does.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Speaking of OF, Earl dropped a new track with Alchemist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUTl4nGACd4

Liking his new energetic flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HoneyBoy posted:

Same, big difference is ASAP doesn't go corny/embarrassing the way some Odd Future stuff does.

Pretty much any time anyone who's not Ferg or Rocky rap it's pretty corny and/or embarrassing.

That said I totally get where dudes are coming from. I thought Wolf was amazingly produced, and had some great songs, but the whole tone is definitely tedious at times and I'd probably say Trap Lord was a better overall album. I think Tyler's a better rapper in a vacuum maybe, but it's really irrelevant to make pretty, well-rapped songs about poo poo I (or others) don't care about whatsoever. And where I actually like Hodgy's solo EPs for the most part, I can def see where dudes don't get excited about songs largely about regular dude poo poo. There's definitely a lack of...personality? style? from the OF stuff, especially after they toned down the violence in their stuff.