Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
We need to add attribution to the guess list so we can be concerned about or find liars later on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Like whoever said catfish failed could have catfish as their word.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Here's my failed list:
Similar
Chicago
Atlanta
Smoking
Sneaker
Florida
Seattle
Academy
Account
Abdomen
Deficit
Century
Daycare

I didn't guess my own word in its spot because that's dumb. If I repeated something already done sorry. Doing this in a cab.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's always the possibility Nevermore put his word in a different location when he did that list and purposefully made the mistake to screw with the rest of us.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Rarity posted:

There's always the possibility Nevermore put his word in a different location when he did that list and purposefully made the mistake to screw with the rest of us.

Possible, but unlikely. Same with someone putting their own word in the "guessed and failed" list: possible, but unlikely. I feel like any words like that would stand out like a sore thumb, anyway.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'm surprised people even used their own words in this first round. There was a 0% chance I would get all 13 right so why not just guess one more word instead of confirming what you already knew?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm disappointed that Poque didn't handpick WRIGLEY as a word.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

I'm disappointed that Poque didn't handpick WRIGLEY as a word.

Same. I thought ADDISON would be good too.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm surprised people even used their own words in this first round. There was a 0% chance I would get all 13 right so why not just guess one more word instead of confirming what you already knew?

I was surprised, too, and yet here we are...

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I'm maintaining my Byers/Nader vote for later "told you so" purposes.

You realize that the only way you get to say "told you so" is if I win, right?

merk posted:

We need to add attribution to the guess list so we can be concerned about or find liars later on the game.

A bit late for that; list's sorted now, finding our words would be a pain. It's a good thought, just came too late.

Rarity posted:

It's a possibility, not a definite. I think it's more likely he made an honest mistake and put it in its proper place. Easy enough to confirm that tomorrow

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Here are mine:

COSPLAY
CRUMBLY
TITFUCK
BABYSIT
DISTEND
SWOLLEN
LAURELS
DRESDEN
COHABIT
COEXIST
ANALSEX
HEALING
GROPING

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Jesus, tomorrow are you gonna try GAMERGATE, DEGLOVE, and rear end in a top hat? Oh, and NANKING, for the requisite WWII atrocity.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Jesus, tomorrow are you gonna try GAMERGATE, DEGLOVE, and rear end in a top hat? Oh, and NANKING, for the requisite WWII atrocity.
See, this is why I didn't want to share my list: the judgment.

Other people have indicated that their words are unusual, my word is unusual, so I figured I'd try some unusual words. Don't hate, bro.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

You realize that the only way you get to say "told you so" is if I win, right?
Yes.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Nevermore214 (5): winvirus, Byers2142, Hal Incandenza, Power of Pecota, Strong Mouse
winvirus (3): Somberbrero, Rarity, Strong Mouse, ActingPower, Strong Mouse
Byers2142 (1): Thanatosian
ActingPower (1): merk
Somberbrero (0): Byers2142, winvirus, winvirus, Byers2142
MildManeredManikin (0): merk, merk
merk (0): MildManeredManikin, MildManeredManikin

Not Voting (3): EXAKT Science, MildManeredManikin, Nevermore214

There are 13 living players. The elimination is based on a plurality vote!

The current deadline is November 05th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 2 minutes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just over an hour until deadline. If you haven't sent in a guess yet, be sure to get it in before the deadline!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The decision has been made. With 5 votes, Nevermore214 has been eliminated from the game!

Nevermore214's code segment is: SCAPULA.
Nevermore214's code segment will not be revealed.

It is now Night 1!

Please send in your line of communication as soon as possible! There is no out-of-thread communication during the Night!

13 players submitted guesses on Day 1.
  • The highest number of correctly-identified code segments was 1.
  • The highest number of correctly placed code segments was 1.
  • The highest number of correct code segments placed one spot away from the correct placement was 1.

Day 2 will begin on Thursday, November 6, at Noon Eastern.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Poque posted:

Nevermore214's code segment is: SCAPULA.
Nevermore214's code segment will not be revealed.

:ssh: nobody tell that second sentence about what the first sentence did

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oops, haha. code segment placement!

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Ignore (Edit)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
*pours one out for Nevermore214*

We hardly knew ye.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You know we're still allowed to talk *in* the thread, right guys?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

You know we're still allowed to talk *in* the thread, right guys?

Yeah, but I was asleep, so unless you wanted me to sleep-post, it wasn't happening.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm not really sure how to develop a strategy to win this game. Even if you stay alive, you can kill your chances of winning by disclosure.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you enter an f2 alliance and disclose stuff both ways, you setup a race condition if you actually stay true to the f2.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

If you enter an f2 alliance and disclose stuff both ways, you setup a race condition if you actually stay true to the f2.

Any strong alliance is going to be based around a race condition. The only other option is to lie, which is by definition not a strong alliance.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

Any strong alliance is going to be based around a race condition. The only other option is to lie, which is by definition not a strong alliance.

I expect someone from an f2 alliance will not win this game. There is almost a requirement that you backstab your partner at f3 to remove the race condition. In Survivor, an f2 alliance can make it to the end because you get to convince your peers to vote you over your f2 buddy. You don't have to backstab your buddy to have a chance; you have to convince your peers that you played a better game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think the alliance that wins this game is in the form of 'f2/f3 until f5' or something similar. Get it out in the open that everything resets when you're down to some set amount of players.

If you're hoping to ally with me, that's what I'll be looking to see.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

I expect someone from an f2 alliance will not win this game. There is almost a requirement that you backstab your partner at f3 to remove the race condition. In Survivor, an f2 alliance can make it to the end because you get to convince your peers to vote you over your f2 buddy. You don't have to backstab your buddy to have a chance; you have to convince your peers that you played a better game.

I'm still shooting for winning prior to a Final Two. Focus on the code, not making an f2 alliance. There may not be an overwhelming theme, but if you look at the words people have tried today there are a few possible patterns. I don't think it's impossible to guess words. That's going to be my goal tomorrow, working with people OOT to set up ways to guess words and lock down locations.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

I think the alliance that wins this game is in the form of 'f2/f3 until f5' or something similar. Get it out in the open that everything resets when you're down to some set amount of players.

If you're hoping to ally with me, that's what I'll be looking to see.

That's kinda what I've been saying yesterday, work with between 3 to 5 people to get ahead of the rest on the code, then play amongst yourselves to set the winner.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Yeah, but I was asleep, so unless you wanted me to sleep-post, it wasn't happening.

Yes, this is exactly what I want. I think it would substantially help my odds of winning.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It is now Day 2!

Your lines of communication have been PMed to you.
Day 2 ends on Friday, November 7, at 9pm Eastern.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Not Voting (12): ActingPower, Byers2142, EXAKT Science, Hal Incandenza, merk, MildManeredManikin, Power of Pecota, Rarity, Somberbrero, Strong Mouse, Thanatosian, winvirus

There are 12 living players. The elimination is based on a plurality vote!

The current deadline is November 07th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day, 8 hours.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I doubt it needs to be said, but no communicating in the incorrect words sheet. It's fine to organize words or whatever you like there, since everybody can see it, but communication should be either done in thread or out-of-thread with your OOT partner(s).

also I now have papers all over my work desk because I wanted to map out communication patterns. I'll release the images after the game is over.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I investigated acting power night one. He is scum. Book 'em boys

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

winvirus posted:

I investigated acting power night one. He is scum. Book 'em boys

And there's the winvirus copclaim we all were expecting!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Clear your inbox, PoP!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Byers2142 posted:

Clear your inbox, PoP!

I must've gotten the last one in :twisted:

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Hahaha PoP how many people targeted you

Also MMM why didn't you talk to me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm strongly tempted to guess the words in the rejected list just to catch someone being a dick.

Rarity you are a liar and a charlatan :colbert:

• Locked thread