Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Soricidus posted:

it's literally true. it's the reason I stopped using ubuntu years ago, after they deliberately shipped broken video drivers because the alternative was either delaying the release slightly or leaving out some other feature that required the new broken beta drivers.

(anecdote may be inaccurate because gently caress looking up the details)
this also sounds like the reason why "wait a month before upgrading" is generally advised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

this also sounds like the reason why "wait a month before upgrading" is generally advised.

this defeats the purpose of having a "release"

nannerpus_
Nov 9, 2012

what about a banana, friend

ShadowHawk posted:

wait so why cannot canonical just wait another month to get it right? or is gathering user feedback on what poo poo you guys broke part of the actual process

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this defeats the purpose of having a "release"
I'm overstating the severity. Major issues creeping into releases have definitely gone down over time. We're getting a lot better at planning and modularizing too, so "not ready" things can reasonably be backed out during feature freeze rather than forced to move forward.

nannerpus_ posted:

wait so why cannot canonical just wait another month to get it right? or is gathering user feedback on what poo poo you guys broke part of the actual process
Releases are generally pretty great these days as there's a lot of automated testing and phasing in of stuff for even the betas. But the reality will always be that edge case bugs will only be found after the release because that's when millions more people will install it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

6.06 was the last good ubuntu release simply for not shipping in april all for the sake of being 6.04 :911:

now they gotta shove another half baked release out the door every april/october 1st because

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i download the lts ubuntus and they are need suiting

pram
Jun 10, 2001
long term sucking

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

pram posted:

long term sucking

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

long term sucking

nutted, but

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Ludwig van Halen posted:

6.06 was the last good ubuntu release simply for not shipping in april all for the sake of being 6.04 :911:

now they gotta shove another half baked release out the door every april/october 1st because
nothing linux can ship on time, and ubuntu shows why you can't change that no matter how hard you try

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

Hit Super, start typing the application's name, then scroll around w/ arrow keys and hit enter.

I'm the key nobody has on their keyboards

don't get me wrong, I love me a lisp machine, but "super"?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

eschaton posted:

It's the windows key.

Put an ubuntu sticker on it like I did if you wanna be :smugdog:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

It's the windows key.

Put an ubuntu sticker on it like I did if you wanna be :smugdog:

if you put an Ubuntu sticker you'd have to call it "subpar"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I have a sun keyboard with separate alt and meta keys. it's basically impossible to get linux to recognise them though because some fucker broke xmodmap and the "replacement", xkbset, is cadt bullshit and only supports a handful of predetermined configurations

i expect it's theoretically possible to add more but lol if you think anything written since 1994 is ever going to be adequately documented

so linux calls the meta key super now and it annoys the gently caress out of me for a few minutes every time I notice and then I get over it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

just reinstalled fedora and wow the installer is trash

edit: wayland work well nice one suspicious dish. mouse acceleration is subtly different at low speeds and my back/forward buttons are not working though.

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 5, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
poo poo like that is why I use an ancient linux. A lot less breakage when you need to spend your time actually working rather than janitoring your hobbyist garbage.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

my stepdads beer posted:

just reinstalled fedora and wow the installer is trash

edit: wayland work well nice one suspicious dish. mouse acceleration is subtly different at low speeds and my back/forward buttons are not working though.

I'll take a look at the back/forward buttons. What apps were you testing with? And were they Xwayland or Wayland apps?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'll take a look at the back/forward buttons. What apps were you testing with? And were they Xwayland or Wayland apps?

Firefox, so I assume XWayland?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

poo poo like that is why I use an ancient linux. A lot less breakage when you need to spend your time actually working rather than janitoring your hobbyist garbage.

it's an option when you log in it's not like it's permabroken. it's intended to be tested.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah Wayland is there as a pre-release so that people can test it and report bugs

if you need to get actual work done then just use regular GNOME on X

next thing you'll tell me the pre-release versions of OSX have defects in them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

I have a sun keyboard with separate alt and meta keys. it's basically impossible to get linux to recognise them though because some fucker broke xmodmap and the "replacement", xkbset, is cadt bullshit and only supports a handful of predetermined configurations

i expect it's theoretically possible to add more but lol if you think anything written since 1994 is ever going to be adequately documented

so linux calls the meta key super now and it annoys the gently caress out of me for a few minutes every time I notice and then I get over it

i stopped using a sun several years ago, but from my rusty memory and the contents of /usr/share/X11/xkb, i think you need a magic incantation like this:

code:
setxkbmap us -geometry sun -keycodes type6
in theory this should work but they stopped selling Sun systems/keyboards/whatever in 2005. nobody can stop bitrot in Xorg stuff :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Geometry support was all but binned from XKB because it was a horrible idea.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in theory this should work but they stopped selling Sun systems/keyboards/whatever in 2005. nobody can stop bitrot in Xorg stuff :(
that's why xmodmap was nice: i didn't need to rely on someone janitoring a huge tree containing hundreds of inscrutable config files for every type of hardware ever. if a key was doing the wrong thing, i could just xev to find out what was doing what and then write a simple file that would change things around as required. 5 minutes work, using a single flat file format clearly documented in the utility's manpage, requiring no special permissions, and touching nothing outside my home directory.

it was good :(

e: also pretty sure the type 7 was almost identical to the type 6 usb, from the point of view of the os, and they only discontinued that model about a year ago.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 5, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

that's why xmodmap was nice: i didn't need to rely on someone janitoring a huge tree containing hundreds of inscrutable config files for every type of hardware ever. if a key was doing the wrong thing, i could just xev to find out what was doing what and then write a simple file that would change things around as required. 5 minutes work, using a single flat file format clearly documented in the utility's manpage, requiring no special permissions, and touching nothing outside my home directory.

it was good :(

ah yes, push the responsibility on the user to janitor it for themselves

the unix philosophy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
no. the central configuration was always there. what xmodmap did was to empower the user to fix things themselves if they wanted to.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so you deliberately set your keyboard map wrong, then corrected the manifold defects with ~/.Xmodmap ?

i am pretty sure that is not how it was ever intended to work.

edit: and xkb isn't centralized, the central config depot is optional

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 6, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sure, it's technically configurable but I think most everybody expects the evdev/pc105 rules to be there.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

what's wrong with xmodmap, i just use it for os x scrolling

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
not everyone has the patience to dive through 20 layers of keyboard input processing to find the one that breaks poo poo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

not everyone has the patience to dive through 20 layers of keyboard input processing to find the one that breaks poo poo

only the elect few who do can savour the miracle of lunix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sure, it's technically configurable but I think most everybody expects the evdev/pc105 rules to be there.

so you're saying gnome 3 drops support for any non-windows keyboard?

because kde and xfce both work just fine on a sun w/ sun keyboard

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

only the elect few who do can savour the miracle of lunix

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
has anyone said wayland/gnutani ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

sun type 4 supremacy

also, isn't systemd going to handle input device routing and mapping in the future?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
one day systemd will replace the linux kernel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
all post-1990 sun keyboards are and were really bad

nice layout but bad tactile feedback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all post-1990 sun keyboards are and were really bad

nice layout but bad tactile feedback

L1-A gave me all the feedback I needed

I wonder if anyone's written an SS1 emulator