Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

track day bro! posted:

Oh great, I wish I ordered the asus one now. Its not happening to all of them is it?
No, a lot of people on these forums have MSI 970s - note the outpouring of *HURR DON'T TEAR OFF THE STICKER WITH YOUR HAM HANDS - WORKS FOR ME* every time it gets asked - and I have only seen one other person on this forum saying they had this problem, aside from me.

Zero VGS posted:

I thought the redesign was that they got rid of stickers entirely, not that they made easier to peel stickers. Maybe that guy just somehow got one from the old batch.

They acknowledged that the adhesive was too strong, and at first said they'd stop putting on the stickers, later they said they'd changed them. They have never confirmed that they could even reproduce the problem. I guess we're still waiting for the results on the RMA'd ones.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

track day bro! posted:

Oh great, I wish I ordered the asus one now. Its not happening to all of them is it?

Of course not, don't sweat it man geez. Mine has been absolutely fine and I've only read a few isolated incidents of people with the fan issue. If by some stroke of bad luck you get a defective one you just RMA/return it, no big deal.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

Advanced Warfare actually refused to start for me because it said it doesn't support dual core processors (G3258 @ 4.4ghz) so I had to find a patched exe to get it to launch. My 970 runs the game at ultra 1080p settings with 4x supersampling at 60fps so I have no idea what you're talking about unless there's some brutal scene I haven't encountered yet. I also have no idea what Activision is talking about, quad-core required my loving rear end.

All multiplayer so far. IDK, maybe it was those specific maps but I've had it dip to the low 50s periodically. I figure it might have something to do with how the fart cloud from the robo-suits works when there's like 12 people using them basically at the same time.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Shima Honnou posted:

Believe it or not, the game actually suffers some slowdown even with an i7 and a 980, there's too many particle effects or something.

Bullshite. The game was just not optimized. There is nothing new in the game engine that requires those specs. It was just missing some dorito points and mtdew energy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anti-Hero posted:

So what kind of overclocks are you nerds getting on your Maxwells? My reference 980 seems to be doing ok at +250 core/+200 memory with power limit set to 125%. I'm seeing the card boosting between 1503 and 1516 MHz and memory is holding at 7.4 GHz. My memory OC seems pretty subpar given what I've seen other report.

edit: And no sooner do I post this than I get a hardlock in Mordor. Welp, time to start back on the memory OC. What kind of temps should I be shooting for? With the above OC the highest I've seen is 75C.

I got the Gigabyte 980 and pushed it to 1550 core and 8ghz memory initially, but I had to back the memory back to 7.8 because I was getting rainbows in Shadows of Mordor (When lightning strikes illuminated the ground around me the light effect would be rainbow colored instead of white.)

The card won't start throttling until 80 degrees, so if you're below that it's fine.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

Of course not, don't sweat it man geez. Mine has been absolutely fine and I've only read a few isolated incidents of people with the fan issue. If by some stroke of bad luck you get a defective one you just RMA/return it, no big deal.

Yeah i'll just do that, I was just worried that I might have issues for the sake of saving £25 over the asus. I'm just looking forward to getting rid of my old leafblower 6870 now!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

How far could AMD price cut the non-reference 290s from reputable companies to where this would not be true? They seem to be trying to stay relevant by price cuts, and I think at $200 the 290 becomes a better buy.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I still wouldn't buy a 290 at that price just because of how power efficient the 970 is as well. But that's just me. It technically is a good card at that price.

WCCFtech reports that AMD has cut another $70 from the R9 290X price and another $30 from the R9 290, bringing their prices down to $329 and $269 respectively. Thus they are now officially pricing the R9 290X against the GTX 970, and the R9 290 against basically everything remaining in the GTX 7nn series.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Just a heads up for anyone that bought a 970/980 from Newegg, I spoke to customer service and they're honoring the free game promotion for past customers. I ordered mine a month ago and they still gave me a voucher.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I contacted TigerDirect about the same thing and the guy said they would get me a code within 3-5 business days.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

I got the Gigabyte 980 and pushed it to 1550 core and 8ghz memory initially, but I had to back the memory back to 7.8 because I was getting rainbows in Shadows of Mordor (When lightning strikes illuminated the ground around me the light effect would be rainbow colored instead of white.)

The card won't start throttling until 80 degrees, so if you're below that it's fine.

Thanks for the response. Did you just increase the power limit in Afterburner or did you find you needed to add additional core voltage to make your overclock stable?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I bumped the power limit in aferburner up to max, but I didn't need any extra core voltage.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

For what it's worth, I get that too on rare occasions and my card (not a 980) is at factory clocks. I think it's just a bug in the game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm looking at the Gigabyte 970 gtx because I like the multiple displayport ports. Is there any reason to go for the faster clocked version for the extra $20?

GV-N970G1 GAMING - 1.18GHz

Vs

GV-N970WF3OC -1.11 GHz

Can the latter hit the speeds of the gaming one anyway?

I'd post links but phone posting.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ijyt posted:

For what it's worth, I get that too on rare occasions and my card (not a 980) is at factory clocks. I think it's just a bug in the game.

Ah, that would make sense since I didn't see issues in any other games aside from SoM. Then again, none of the other stuff I'm really playing at the moment is quite the graphical powerhouse as that game is either.

priznat posted:

I'm looking at the Gigabyte 970 gtx because I like the multiple displayport ports. Is there any reason to go for the faster clocked version for the extra $20?

GV-N970G1 GAMING - 1.18GHz

Vs

GV-N970WF3OC -1.11 GHz

Can the latter hit the speeds of the gaming one anyway?

I'd post links but phone posting.

They should both come within almost the exact same clocks, likely. Maybe they're doing a bit of binning for the higher clocked G1 gaming model, but so long as both have the nice three fan cooler there probably isn't going to be any noticeable difference.

One thing about the triple displayport + HDMI port all in a row layout though, depending on the cables you have it can be very hard to plug in items next to each other. I guess my TV's HDMI cable is just fat, because I couldn't fit it in the plug with the displayport cable to my monitor right next to it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

I contacted TigerDirect about the same thing and the guy said they would get me a code within 3-5 business days.

Who did you contact at TD? I just got my 2 970s after sitting on a backorder. I want mah free games.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gwaihir posted:

They should both come within almost the exact same clocks, likely. Maybe they're doing a bit of binning for the higher clocked G1 gaming model, but so long as both have the nice three fan cooler there probably isn't going to be any noticeable difference.

One thing about the triple displayport + HDMI port all in a row layout though, depending on the cables you have it can be very hard to plug in items next to each other. I guess my TV's HDMI cable is just fat, because I couldn't fit it in the plug with the displayport cable to my monitor right next to it.

Nice, they're actually in stock now too!

Cables can definitely be a pain but man I am glad we're getting away from the giant vga/dvi plugs. Plus I like how displayport has the retention - although some hdmi has that now too.

I'd only be plugging in 2 displayport monitors for a while at least so it should be fine with the cable spacing. Just have to wait for the new u2715 from dell to go on sale to go with my u2412!

How is gaming with dual monitors now? I used to do it (ages ago with crts on a Radeon 9800) but the drivers would either blank or freeze the second monitor. Same deal with the new hardware and drivers now?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Who did you contact at TD? I just got my 2 970s after sitting on a backorder. I want mah free games.

I just used the email form on the tigerdirect.ca site.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

priznat posted:

How is gaming with dual monitors now? I used to do it (ages ago with crts on a Radeon 9800) but the drivers would either blank or freeze the second monitor. Same deal with the new hardware and drivers now?

I have a triple monitor setup with a Rift and run SLI. Any weirdness I have with multiple monitors is always related to SLI. You'll be fine.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got my Gigabyte Windforce 970 (GV-N970WF3OC-4GD) to replace my Windforce 6850.
Three fans, pretty quiet, seems to idle down properly with my dual display setup. It gets 60fps in world of tanks (lol) and runs the heaven engine nicely. No backplate, but really, who's worried about sagging? It's pretty long, if I didn't have the second drive tray pulled out of my case it would have been a tight squeeze.

Haven't fooled with the clocks yet, played with DSR a little, frankly it's a bit blurry and makes some interfaces a bit too small. I run at 1920x1080 @ 27 inches. Maybe if I played with the smoothness setting.

My most expensive video card ever, but I'm a grown up with a job now so whatever, I'm entitled. If anyone has any questions about this particular model, let me know. I'll report OC results when I have a few hours to gently caress with it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

priznat posted:

Nice, they're actually in stock now too!

Cables can definitely be a pain but man I am glad we're getting away from the giant vga/dvi plugs. Plus I like how displayport has the retention - although some hdmi has that now too.

I'd only be plugging in 2 displayport monitors for a while at least so it should be fine with the cable spacing. Just have to wait for the new u2715 from dell to go on sale to go with my u2412!

It depends heavily on the game. Blizzard and Valve games work fantastically with multiple monitors, and are always well behaved in borderless windowed mode (Aka fullscreen on one monitor, with no need to manually alt-tab to get to stuff on the other screens, you can just swing your mouse on over). Older games, or ones that need a color pallete shift to 16 bit or something almost never work well.

Most modern stuff, even without a borderless windowed mode handles alt-tabbing back and forth reasonably well with almost no fuss. Once in a while you do run in to stuff where the image on the second monitor will freeze, or go black entirely, but it's the exception and not the rule.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
What is a GTX680 worth, and/or where is the best place to sell it? Should I just try SA Mart?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jago posted:

Maybe if I played with the smoothness setting.

Basically do this.

EDIT: Games where UI size settings can be adjusted are really nice. I don't have a list of them on hand though (if you wanted to try other games out).

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 5, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Basically do this.

Not going to do much for the interface issues, but yeah, that's a pretty powerful and determinative slider.

DSR is definitely not for every game yet. Most DX9 games are apparently better with GeDoSaTo, and nVidia is never going to go all FlawlessWidescreen and start making custom assets to fix interface issues. We just have to accept that as a limitation of a one-size-fits-all driver level solution. It works better than and also isn't as good as many game specific hacks, as odd as that sounds, because they're solving the problem exactly the right way, but it requires the game itself to support higher resolutions well, which many that will actually be usable with DSR right now just don't. The rest are already graphics powerhouses and are too demanding to use it, since support for 4K is now becoming a more serious thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I'm never buying an MSI graphics card again.

After a week and a half of having my GPU (Gaming 4G), I finally get an email five minutes ago apologizing that they're 'out of stock of suitable or comparable replacements' and will offer me 310 bucks (the 'market value'), which is 40 bucks shy of the MSRP of the card. So I'm telling them to cough up another 40 bucks or send me a new-in-box 970 of the newest revision, because as it stands, I could've just returned the defective card to TigerDirect (as it was well within the 30 days), and evidently saved myself a ton of grief.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 6, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BIG HEADLINE posted:

After a week and a half of having my GPU (Gaming 4G), I finally get an email five minutes ago apologizing that they're 'out of stock of suitable or comparable replacements' and will offer me 310 bucks (the 'market value'), which is 40 bucks shy of the MSRP of the card. So I'm telling them to cough up another 40 bucks or send me a new-in-box 970 of the newest revision, because as it stands, I could've just returned the defective card to TigerDirect (as it was well within the 30 days), and evidently saved myself a ton of grief.

What? You RMA'd the card to MSI and they don't have a replacement so they want to give you $310 for you to go away? Thats some shady poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've always had far better experiences returning a defective card to the store than doing an RMA if it is defective out of the box or dies in the first couple weeks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

I've always had far better experiences returning a defective card to the store than doing an RMA if it is defective out of the box or dies in the first couple weeks.

Yep, TD probably would have even covered return shipping on a defective card.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

What? You RMA'd the card to MSI and they don't have a replacement so they want to give you $310 for you to go away? Thats some shady poo poo.

That's exactly it.

Proof:

And yeah, I made that clear in my response - that I'm effectively being penalized for doing what they flat out *tell* you to do when you have a defective card. So they can cough up another $40 bucks for a full MSRP refund so I can buy a Gigabyte or ASUS, or they can send me a balls-new newest-revision 970 Gaming 4G. I'm not ~demanding~ a 980 for my troubles, I just want a working version of what I paid for.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Talk to your credit card company. They might have a warranty replacement service. They will just give you the money you paid as a credit on your card.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Talk to your credit card company. They might have a warranty replacement service. They will just give you the money you paid as a credit on your card.

Interesting idea, but I have a Chase Sapphire. Only the ~Preferred~ has the extra warranty perk.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Interesting idea, but I have a Chase Sapphire. Only the ~Preferred~ has the extra warranty perk.

Talk to them anyway, ask for a manager but be polite. If you pay your balance in full each month mention that. I bet you can get them to cough up that money easier than MSI.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Talk to them anyway, ask for a manager but be polite. If you pay your balance in full each month mention that. I bet you can get them to cough up that money easier than MSI.

I'm calling MSI directly now. If they stay pat at that $310 figure (and won't concede to replace my item with something new-in-box) I'll go for the credit card option. And yeah, I do pay my balance in full each month.

EDIT: Again, never buying another MSI card. Just talked to a rep that wasn't Grace Liao who explained to me that the reason I'm being offered $310 instead of $349.99 is because of 'depreciation,' and that he'd be sure to tell Grace to contact me or reply to my email.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You should tell them forget it, I'll just do a charge back with my credit card company.

Edit: well I doubt they give a poo poo since you'd be loving tiger direct in that case. Maybe call tiger direct and see if they can help?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hey, man, everyone knows a lemon loses at least 10% of its value the moment you take it off the lot.

That is ridiculous and if they're doing that to a bunch of people I imagine we'll be talking about it soonish.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

You should tell them forget it, I'll just do a charge back with my credit card company.

I'll wait until they email me back - credit card companies are open 24h, MSI's support closes in two hours. If she doesn't reply in that time period I'll basically know that I'm being jerked around. I very much doubt I'm the only person going through this, but I'm not going to eat ~$50 (including shipping) simply because they think I'll roll over.

I even told them I'm willing to wait - within reason - for a *new* replacement to come back into stock. I'm giving them more 'outs' than I should.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

bobby2times posted:

Just a heads up for anyone that bought a 970/980 from Newegg, I spoke to customer service and they're honoring the free game promotion for past customers. I ordered mine a month ago and they still gave me a voucher.

Ordered mine the first week of launch, spoke to customer service on Newegg today, got my voucher within the hour.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Ordered mine the first week of launch, spoke to customer service on Newegg today, got my voucher within the hour.

I just did the same for TigerDirect US while playing phone/email tag for my other issue - obviously I haven't heard back yet.

EDIT: MSI caved. They offered me the $349.99, but going back to my invoice, I remembered I had used a $15 off coupon, so I emailed them back and told them I'd accept a refund for $343.05, which was the final cost with shipping from TD.

Now I just have to decide between ASUS and Gigabyte, and I think I'm going to wait for the ASUS to come back in somewhere, since I'm not too thrilled with the idea of having to cross my fingers and toes in the hope for a Rev 1.1 Gaming-4GD.

EDIT 2: TD had the Gigabyte Gaming 4GD in stock with the voucher and 30 off 125 if I signed up for and used MasterPass. I also had ~57 bucks in credit on my Visa, so all told the card is 'costing' me ~$290 - so with the check coming from MSI, minus what it cost to send them the loving faulty card via UPS (also, never again), I'm 'making' about $30 - something I'd have gladly paid to not have to go through with this bullshit. :toot:

Crossing my fingers that I get an un-'whiny' Rev 1.1 - I *really* don't want to have to RMA something again for a long time.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2014

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bobby2times posted:

I just finished with Newegg's Live Chat customer service. The rep said I wasn't eligible for the promotion, but as I'm a :agesilaus: valued customer :agesilaus: they'll ship a voucher to me free of charge.

edit: Selected Far Cry 4. Now the waiting begins.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 6, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I just contacted Tiger Direct about getting a second voucher for my first card purchase and got the 'I'll have to talk to my manager,' so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Thats retarded. Hell Vizio paid me full retail for my tv when it couldn't be repaired due to parts availability almost 2 years after i bought it.