Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, he clearly wouldn't have stood for the MC moving anything but his tongue and jaw. They could have added a sequence of you trying to do just that, but again, I don't see why this is somehow such a sore point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Bystander posted:

If I was stuck in an interrogation room with one of the scariest people in town, I wouldn't want to move either.

Adachi is pretty scary, I agree.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
SMT4 feels... weird. I think it's mostly that money is so tight that the compendium might as well not exist. It seems like they set those costs to keep you from gaming whispers, but whispers are also kind of annoying since you need to keep grind lovely demons you don't care about just because they've got Agi or whatever.

It's still awesome but the game (early in, at least) lacks the fusion funtime from smt3/persona/whatever.

Inflammatory posted:

even the censors can't beat off that magnificent schlong.

I didn't realize it was thread title submission time!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Don Gato posted:

And while Dojima doesn't believe you when you flat out tell him, he does know that you're the only ones who can get Nanako back to him after she's kidnapped

Also, in one of the potential bad endings, specifically the one where you immediately decide to push Namatame into the TV (this one), Dojima pretty much tells you that he knows something weird was going on, and he knows that you killed Namatame. He clearly has no idea how you did it, but he knows it was you and doesn't care. Pretty grim ending, all things considered.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't trust people who hunch over all the time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Nobody who has their own convention can be scary :colbert:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think just the opposite applies, actually.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So uh SMT IV and the Black Samurai's suit. Is it just a reference to Strange Journey or are there story connections between IV and SJ?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Golden Goat posted:

So uh SMT IV and the Black Samurai's suit. Is it just a reference to Strange Journey or are there story connections between IV and SJ?

Been a while, but I'm pretty sure it was just a reference. It'll get explained later.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i always figured it was connected but i'm the only person who has argued such itt

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just a reference.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's grand then. One more question: should I be aiming to always upgrade my existing skills via whispering or are the boosts from it ignorable?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

That's grand then. One more question: should I be aiming to always upgrade my existing skills via whispering or are the boosts from it ignorable?

The bonuses do get pretty substantial, but you should always be aiming for the next tier spell (e.g., Agilao over Agi+8) if you can.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

SMT4 feels... weird. I think it's mostly that money is so tight that the compendium might as well not exist. It seems like they set those costs to keep you from gaming whispers, but whispers are also kind of annoying since you need to keep grind lovely demons you don't care about just because they've got Agi or whatever.

It's still awesome but the game (early in, at least) lacks the fusion funtime from smt3/persona/whatever.

You're gonna have to work for it, homes. :colbert:

In all honesty, though: You should be able to start raking in the dough without that many issues once you get out of the early part and into the real meat of the game.

Inflammatory posted:

i'm sure he'll be fine, even the censors can't beat off that magnificent schlong.

Suddenly I'm all hot and bothered by this turgid member's posting.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I believe the whisper bonuses can lead to your spells being more powerful than the first level of the next actual spell, but of course you'll then quickly gain levels in that new spell and end up stronger than you were previously.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I think the point is more than referential but it's not like a "you need to play SJ to play IV" thing. It's more just hinting at the greater Mikado "everything is connected and cyclical wooooooooooo" themes of almost every single SMT/related game released.

Don't get too hyped about it but the argument can be made that it's trying to "say something" about the ~greater extended universe~ :goonsay:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Hasn't that always been the case for Diana? I remember the same thing happening in IMAGINE.

No, IMAGINE Artemis has nipples, just can't find a good pic of the demon from my old screenies.

also, IMAGINE had this-

Man, I miss that buggy gently caress up of an MMO :negative:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Imagine was pretty neat.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Imagine was pretty neat.

As one of the extremely masochistic people who played from beta to it's inevitable conclusion in January, I agree with this.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Wark Say posted:

You're gonna have to work for it, homes. :colbert:

In all honesty, though: You should be able to start raking in the dough without that many issues once you get out of the early part and into the real meat of the game.

Yeah I've felt like I've been having money problems but I've been able to fuse what I want if I sit and work it out and think about if I really need it, and I get big spikes of quest rewards where I'll get loads of macca and I just hit 140k with the latest batch. Basically I haven't actually had that many problems, it just felt like I did. The free money when you hire a demon app is great and the turtle snakes in the Hills building are coward babies who seem to plead for their lives more than anyone else and will gladly pay 4k macca for me to not kill them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Imagine was pretty neat.

It was alright and I never did make it past the tutorial. The cash shop (like many F2P) was off-putting so I never spent much time with it other than finding out it closed down later.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Goons please make an Imagine private server thanks in advance.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't even joke. I would lose too many hours of my life to a rebalanced Imagine server.

You could even distribute the cash shop stuff amongst regular enemies' drop tables to actually make them worth a drat.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

I'd play it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I think one of the DLCs basically lets you grind cash. I don't remember how early you can start but I think early enough that you can use it before mid-game.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

I'd love to play it like this.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Don't even joke. I would lose too many hours of my life to a rebalanced Imagine server.

You could even distribute the cash shop stuff amongst regular enemies' drop tables to actually make them worth a drat.

Count me in, I'd be interested if there's a way to balance out the cash shop too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you guys unbreak that game and make a server I swear I will hate you all and play it.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Does anyone know of any research into making a server? Has the protocol been reverse engineered?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Okay, let's break this down.

Currently, CAVE is the publisher for SMT:IMAGINE and the Japanese Server is still running and has much more content, less broken and just better in most senses of the word. Of course, it's in Japanese and they hate any English speaking players, but there are an minority who play regularly (usually on Pixie Server).

CAVE hates non Japanese players, they just do, every other company they worked with reported of them giving patches which weren't completed, partially translated, some just broke the game completely, all sorts of lovely fun stuff because they couldn't be bothered to test it all because "gently caress the other, non japanese server, they will be okay with it", which turned the coding behind the scenes of the game to a absolute loving mess because of all of the quick fixes they had to make in order to even play properly. (Source: I know the old GMs from Aeria Games which worked on the game)

This also meant the Japanese Server had content 1 year, nearly 2 years ahead of us by the time the game ended because of all of these mishaps which pushed a lot of players away. Plus they decided to add the nerf patches to the English server (basically destroy the non pay-to-win way to farm in the game) but didn't actually give them the patch which balanced it all out again by increasing the prices of gems to all of them to 5000.

Now that we got that out of the way, the rights to make any kind of private server was first held by Aeria Games (which is now been merged into a much larger company) which then practically GAVE the rights to Atlus USA, which died and turned into Marvelous USA. Marvelous USA then decided to cut their online games section completely in January and hold all of their rights for the games that died. I am not surprised that it got passed around so much since CAVE would be a nightmare to work with.

The online community which is still pretty close knit were completely pissed off that they kept getting hosed over, cried out for a private server possibility, but Marvelous USA said no because CAVE actually said "They don't want a English Server for SMT:IMAGINE anymore, nor they would want anyone else to make one" so what the gently caress CAVE, what the gently caress.

TL;DR- CAVE is an absolute dick and ran SMT:IMAGINE into the ground.

Samael fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does anyone know of any research into making a server? Has the protocol been reverse engineered?

I'll write the wiki

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GimmickMan posted:

If you guys unbreak that game and make a server I swear I will hate you all and play it.

agreed

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Samael posted:

The online community which is still pretty close knit were completely pissed off that they kept getting hosed over, cried out for a private server possibility, but Marvelous USA said no because CAVE actually said "They don't want a English Server for SMT:IMAGINE anymore, nor they would want anyone else to make one" so what the gently caress CAVE, what the gently caress.

TL;DR- CAVE is an absolute dick and ran SMT:IMAGINE into the ground.

Why would people making their own server have to give a poo poo about what CAVE think?
Serious question, they seem like a bunch of dickheads.
For example, see this: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/11/eff-asks-for-the-right-to-revive-abandoned-online-games/
Of course, it need not be hosted in the USA.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm liking SMTIV (surprise!) but what's really digging at me after the first dungeon is the constant god drat run to the barracks and back whenever any of your demons dies/you run out of juice/whatever other predicament. So, do I get Traesto in any reasonable timeframe or does this otherwise become less of an issue as the game goes on?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I'm liking SMTIV (surprise!) but what's really digging at me after the first dungeon is the constant god drat run to the barracks and back whenever any of your demons dies/you run out of juice/whatever other predicament. So, do I get Traesto in any reasonable timeframe or does this otherwise become less of an issue as the game goes on?

I don't think Traesto is in it. There's dungeon shortcuts though, i've opened one from the 1st floor.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Traesto is not in the game as far as I know but as a lot of people say, it gets much easier and better after the first dungeon. The first dungeon is one of the largest dungeons in the game, and also after it many other areas open up where you can restore the party, besides the one barracks.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

Why would people making their own server have to give a poo poo about what CAVE think?
Serious question, they seem like a bunch of dickheads.
For example, see this: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/11/eff-asks-for-the-right-to-revive-abandoned-online-games/
Of course, it need not be hosted in the USA.

Oh, I thought you would need CAVE's say-so in order to make a private server at all, in order to get that data.

If someone can reverse-engineer it, I would definitely play it too. There is also a wiki made by Sesshou (A old player of the game) which is still online here- http://megaten.sesshou.com/wiki/ if anyone needed any info about the game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I would totally try a goon-run private server of Imagine. I always liked it in concept but it was wicked hosed up as a game. If someone could fix it I could definitely use it as a time sink.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

GimmickMan posted:

Ditto.

hell I wasn't aware the Japanese servers were still alive, I might give that a crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

oblomov posted:

I think one of the DLCs basically lets you grind cash. I don't remember how early you can start but I think early enough that you can use it before mid-game.

Bare minimum for Money Makes the Underworld Turn, Death has it's Applications and Experience of the After life is about Lv 20, which is when the Mitima can be consistently beaten.