Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

SouthLAnd posted:

How common are outages on Cricket and when do they usually occur? I've only had their service a week.

It really seems pretty rare. I've been with them a month and I have no major gripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I bought an unlocked Moto X (2013) to bring to Cricket and I'd like to have the SIM card already when the phone arrives, but in order to order the SIM on the website, I have to have the IMEI of the phone. Is there a way to order a SIM without already having the phone in hand?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I bought an unlocked Moto X (2013) to bring to Cricket and I'd like to have the SIM card already when the phone arrives, but in order to order the SIM on the website, I have to have the IMEI of the phone. Is there a way to order a SIM without already having the phone in hand?

Any imei will work. Cricket does use it to recommend a SIM size though so use an imei of a device with the same size SIM.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Brock Landers posted:

Any imei will work. Cricket does use it to recommend a SIM size though so use an imei of a device with the same size SIM.

I don't have any GSM phones to grab an IMEI off of. v:shobon:v

edit: nevermind, the IMEI on my Sprint Moto X worked.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 5, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

How common are outages on Cricket and when do they usually occur? I've only had their service a week.

I had Cricket back when they were Aio Wireless last year. The only outages I had were purely location based as all signal seems to die in a few of the stores I go to. Other than that, I haven't had anything big.

I think I remember an SMS issue once though but it wasn't THAT bad since I was also using Hangout at the time and switched to that. :v:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Can someone toss me a referral for Cricket please?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can someone toss me a referral for Cricket please?

Did you already order your SIM card? Because if you did, you're outta luck. You have to get the referral BEFORE you order the SIM. If you did not, I can help you out. Just PM me your first/last name and email and I'll get it submitted.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There's actually a Cricket store about 5 minutes from my house. I went there on a Monday and the lone employee working there (the store had just opened up a few weeks earlier) had my account and phone set up in about 15 minutes. It was honestly the best experience I've ever had in a cell phone store.

I think it cost more than ordering a sim online, but it was way convenient.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm rather new to cellphones and after looking at plans I settled on the T-mobile dork plan, the problem is when I go to their site I don't see the iPhone 6 listed. So will my 6+ no contract T-mobile iphone work with this or am I boned?

E: Cool, thanks.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 5, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Chobayt posted:

So I'm rather new to cellphones and after looking at plans I settled on the T-mobile dork plan, the problem is when I go to their site I don't see the iPhone 6 listed. So will my 6+ no contract T-mobile iphone work with this or am I boned?

As long as it's GSM (I believe they all support it) you should be solid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SouthLAnd posted:

I've been with them since July and haven't noticed any outages. I mean, I'm sure they happen, but so far so good for me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Even more impressive, I didn't have any outages during a time where tons of AT&T customers in my area were complaining about outages.

:iiam:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does Cricket really make you sign for your SIM card when it gets delivered? That's going to be a huge pain in the rear end if so.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does Cricket really make you sign for your SIM card when it gets delivered? That's going to be a huge pain in the rear end if so.

I got a Cricket SIM card in the mail and they didn't make me sign for it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Finisher1 posted:

I got a Cricket SIM card in the mail and they didn't make me sign for it.

Okay, good. The first paragraph of the shipping confirmation said be prepared to sign, but hopefully the UPS guy will just leave my $10 package on the porch like he usually does. Thanks.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Okay, good. The first paragraph of the shipping confirmation said be prepared to sign, but hopefully the UPS guy will just leave my $10 package on the porch like he usually does. Thanks.

I think their system is setup for phone deliveries and SIM deliveries were not in mind when they wrote those messages. It makes perfect sense to require signatures for phone deliveries.

technado
Jan 1, 2010
I know a couple years ago the FCC forced Verizon to allow free tethering as a condition of purchasing some of the 700MHz spectrum. My question is, does this include Verizon prepaid?

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
I've been using Cricket for about 3 weeks now. With Straight Talk, I barely ever had MMS problems. But tonight, tons of MMS messages weren't retrieved properly, so I had to manually download each one at a time.

I am using the settings from Crickets web site. Are there any better APN settings? I double checked both my phone and Hangouts for the APN settings and they're both accurate.

This problem, coupled with shoddy LTE coverage in areas I had great coverage with ST, is starting to worry me. :(

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Where are you located? I was just about to make the same switch...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I can say that MMS is the only thing I've been dissapointed in Cricket with. About 95% of the time I get MMS fine, but there's been a few rare instances where I've just never received a picture I know someone sent.

I think it has to do with the size of the message. MMS group texts I never lose, and like I said most pictures come through just fine. I think maybe some of the bigger poo poo is getting rejected at server level, though? Who knows, not a big enough problem for me to really worry about. Cricket has been rock solid for me otherwise.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I've definitely noticed spottier coverage since switching from ST to Cricket. There are places in the Boston area where I used to get solid data signals ("H" symbol on an hspa+ phone) where I now only have "E" or no data at all. I'm debating whether it's a big enough issue for me to switch back.

On the other hand, I used to have major problems when switching from wifi to mobile data on ST (about half the time when leaving my house/work I'd get "access denied" messages in Chrome) and that no longer occurs.

So I can either have good service coverage with poor usability, or poor service coverage without glitches.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I can say that MMS is the only thing I've been dissapointed in Cricket with. About 95% of the time I get MMS fine, but there's been a few rare instances where I've just never received a picture I know someone sent.

I think it has to do with the size of the message. MMS group texts I never lose, and like I said most pictures come through just fine. I think maybe some of the bigger poo poo is getting rejected at server level, though? Who knows, not a big enough problem for me to really worry about. Cricket has been rock solid for me otherwise.

I've read that AT&T has a smaller MMS size limit than some other carriers. http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=53119&cv=820#fbid=O430nw2UKc8 says their limit is 600KB, but I'd read in the past it was ~400KB, and have no idea about Cricket specifically. I think many carriers allow up to 1MB, but I've always set a custom 399K limit for SMS (when possible) to make sure not to exclude anyone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there a way to see where AT&T towers are, and possibly planned updates or new towers? I get amazing coverage on Cricket everywhere except inside the building at work, and that might be a big enough issue to put me back on Sprint.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
I feel like Cricket is terrible with IT. Constantly had issues trying to sign up. Now I can't enable auto-pay (tech support said the auto-pay server is down) and the app on my phone errors out every time I log in.

Meanwhile, I can only sign up for one line at a time online? So annoying. I want to transfer 3 lines and don't want to do it one at a time. Meanwhile I tried to go to the store and the only "stores" within 30 minutes are gamestops. I went to two and both said they don't have Cricket set up yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Really weird, I've never had any of the issues you guys are experiencing. The website/app seems to always work well for me when I need to make a change to the plan or (in the past) add data. Really been a pleasant experience on my end.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

poppingseagull posted:

I feel like Cricket is terrible with IT. Constantly had issues trying to sign up. Now I can't enable auto-pay (tech support said the auto-pay server is down) and the app on my phone errors out every time I log in.

Meanwhile, I can only sign up for one line at a time online? So annoying. I want to transfer 3 lines and don't want to do it one at a time. Meanwhile I tried to go to the store and the only "stores" within 30 minutes are gamestops. I went to two and both said they don't have Cricket set up yet.

You aren't the only one. People have been complaining on reddit and HoFo too. App was broken for me yesterday but is working now. Have not had an auto pay issue or any other issues. Knock on wood.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Where are you located? I was just about to make the same switch...

Just south of Detroit, MI.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My problem was with group MMS texts and not pictures. I haven't had any other problems since I made that post, but like I mentioned originally, the difference in coverage is unusual when both companies use AT&T towers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

carb0nex posted:

Just south of Detroit, MI.

My problem was with group MMS texts and not pictures. I haven't had any other problems since I made that post, but like I mentioned originally, the difference in coverage is unusual when both companies use AT&T towers.

What's up SEMI buddy. As I said above, I'm also on Cricket and had issues with MMS the other day as well. It's been resolved since though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Really strange, especially after all of the white knighting I've been doing with Cricket over here. The past two days my speeds have crawled to a halt. My downloads seem to be throttled around .8mbps while my uploads have no problem swinging as high as 5mpbs. I tried different APNs (ndo, phone, tfdata) and no change. Looks like a big thread about this on the Howard Forums as people randomly having the issue last month but it hasn't been updated in a few weeks. I'm at 3.3gb of my 10gb with 12 days in my cycle so that shouldn't be an issue. I briefly spoke to a rep over chat and they said that my high speed is fine. I didn't go much farther assuming there were some tower issues. Did a speed test on my wifes phone on Cricket and there's no issues at all with hers. I'm lucky.

HoFo are stating that the customer service reps have been more than useless on the issue.

Mark one in the bad column Cricket...

I take that back, different thread created about the issue: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1850487-LTE-broken-again/page5

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 13, 2014

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

TraderStav posted:

What's up SEMI buddy. As I said above, I'm also on Cricket and had issues with MMS the other day as well. It's been resolved since though.

Are you having speed problems? I just did this test inside my bedroom, super close to the window.

They must be having problems, according to the link TraderStav posted.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Really strange, especially after all of the white knighting I've been doing with Cricket over here. The past two days my speeds have crawled to a halt. My downloads seem to be throttled around .8mbps while my uploads have no problem swinging as high as 5mpbs. I tried different APNs (ndo, phone, tfdata) and no change. Looks like a big thread about this on the Howard Forums as people randomly having the issue last month but it hasn't been updated in a few weeks. I'm at 3.3gb of my 10gb with 12 days in my cycle so that shouldn't be an issue. I briefly spoke to a rep over chat and they said that my high speed is fine. I didn't go much farther assuming there were some tower issues. Did a speed test on my wifes phone on Cricket and there's no issues at all with hers. I'm lucky.

HoFo are stating that the customer service reps have been more than useless on the issue.

Mark one in the bad column Cricket...

I take that back, different thread created about the issue: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1850487-LTE-broken-again/page5

Just checked my cricket speeds and my LTE speeds are total poo poo. 4G speeds are normal. This is what I experienced a few weeks back. I've got one more free month with them and then I think I'm jumping back to T-Mobile or maybe GoPhone. I'll let cricket sort out their growing pains without me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just got .4Mb down and .03Mb up on my cricket. What the gently caress.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

It's totally on cricket too. My wife's GoPhone service is totally fine running the same test from the same place.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Their proxy must be hosed. HoFo users making it sound like cricket is saying that they resolved the issue but that's hearsay.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Another southeast Michigan goon here and Cricket speeds tanked yesterday. I don't know about today as I've been on wifi all day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cricket speeds went to utter poo poo this evening in Omaha too. I typically have zero issue streaming Spotify at extreme quality (and with 10gb of data I give zero fucks) but tonight it can't even keep normal quality from sputtering so bad I think I've blundered into a Fatboy Slim playlist.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Bay area goon here, Cricket has been perfectly fine for me lately as far as speeds go. Haven't noticed any network, ping, or speed issues on LTE or HSPA.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself. I white knight cricket a lot but their apparent growing pains have been getting pretty frustrating lately.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just woke up and speeds have returned to normal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

.... And it's poo poo again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah it's all over for me. It was fine this morning but has gone back to poo poo.