Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Big Grunty Secret posted:

In MGS3, there's a part where you need to sneak around a maintenance hangar to plant C3 on the Shagohod's (final boss tank) fuel supply. If you kill or knock out all the engineers in the area, the Shagohod will have less health in the battle against it.

This reminds me of the part where you can, I think, take out the enemies' food and/or weapons stash, and it has the expected effect on them (low health, low ammo) in the next few areas. I believe this place is the fenced off base with the trenches and the helicopter. Can't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This reminds me of the part where you can, I think, take out the enemies' food and/or weapons stash, and it has the expected effect on them (low health, low ammo) in the next few areas. I believe this place is the fenced off base with the trenches and the helicopter. Can't remember the name.

It actually works with every food/ammo stash not just the ones in that area.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also in that area, blowing up the helicopter will eliminate the patrolling helicopters later on at the mountain base.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Also the MI-24 "Colonel, what's a Russian gunship doing here?" Hind was unwittingly christened by Snake after the conversation turned to the weird new chopper looking like it was some kind of next-generation MI-17 Hip.

It really is the perfect game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

haveblue posted:

Also in that area, blowing up the helicopter will eliminate the patrolling helicopters later on at the mountain base.

Instead, you get personal jet-stand guys., which actually makes the encounter more difficult. Shooting the flame thrower backpack guys is easily the best part of that area, btw.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

1redflag posted:

Instead, you get personal jet-stand guys., which actually makes the encounter more difficult.

At first I thought this was a bit of MGS wackiness, before learning that such things actually existed! I think you can have a Codec conversation with either Major Tom or Sigint that fills in the backstory as to why the Soviets have these sparkly new ones. I seem to recall also that they have that hovering sound effect used by UFOs in old sci-fi movies, which obviously makes them cooler by default.

quote:

Shooting the flame thrower backpack guys is easily the best part of that area, btw.

I remember that they're introduced in a trench area. Since MGS3 has no radar, you were programmed to be on the lookout for other things. These guys made an ominous rattling with their equipment as they plodded around, making a nice introduction. Then you could make them explode.

I should really get the re-release of this game.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

On the subject of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, I found a really cool secret.

Sometimes there are hidden staircases under rocks. They lead to a short Zelda 1 style 2d sidescroller section. I've seen it twice. Once it led to a room with 5 free powerups and an exit to the floor, the other time I took a screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/LifgyDS.jpg

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

At first I thought this was a bit of MGS wackiness, before learning that such things actually existed! I think you can have a Codec conversation with either Major Tom or Sigint that fills in the backstory as to why the Soviets have these sparkly new ones. I seem to recall also that they have that hovering sound effect used by UFOs in old sci-fi movies, which obviously makes them cooler by default.

They look more like X-Jets or WASPs.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The best part of this is that it's totally not worth the effort to pull it off at all, as far as beating the game is concerned. None of these areas take more than a few minutes to blow through, but if you feel like loving with guards, then screw it, why not?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, you can let your pokemon follow you in the overworld. If you do this With Krabby he'll scuttle sideways behind you. :3:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

In Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, you can let your pokemon follow you in the overworld. If you do this With Krabby he'll scuttle sideways behind you. :3:

If you have Magikarp following behind you, he'll do a little "fish on dry land" flip flop as he tries to keep up. I love you Magikarp you'll be a dragon someday I promise.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sociopastry posted:

If you have Magikarp following behind you, he'll do a little "fish on dry land" flip flop as he tries to keep up. I love you Magikarp you'll be a dragon someday I promise.

Don't lie to the little fish, friend.

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
When you have the really BIG pokemon, you get told you can't bring them inside like you can your smaller ones.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Gyarados can tactically become evil to slay washing machines who would otherwise blunt its rampages.

I like that that actually describes a real situation.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Don't lie to the little fish, friend.

Now we need a comic about about this guy getting owned by this.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Now we need a comic about about this guy getting owned by this.

Close enough?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I started playing Metal Gear Rising: Reveangeance the other night, and oh my god it's like Platinum and Konami said "Let's make a game just for Screaming Idiot." It's funny, it's badass, it's fun, and oh my god Raiden gets a talking robot dog sidekick and he gets to wear a sombrero and and and...

But if I had to choose one thing from the game that I enjoy the most, it'd have to be his lisp stemming from his missing lower lip. I still giggle when I imagine him trying to eat anything.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure he can't eat anymore. Full-body cyborgs in MGS use nutrient gel pumped directly into their organs. :spergin:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Screaming Idiot posted:

But if I had to choose one thing from the game that I enjoy the most, it'd have to be his lisp stemming from his missing lower lip. I still giggle when I imagine him trying to eat anything.

Take a shot anything scraps along his chin.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
This is quickly turning into Post Your favorite Metal Gear.

In Ground Zeroes, killing a combatant and having the enemy find them, they freak out and call HQ saying something like "HQ! We got a man down over here!!"

Unless you're already in alert mode, where they sound so depressed when they find the body. "HQ...we got a dead friendly here... :smith: "

There's also a side mission where you need to eliminate two high level targets, doesn't matter how, as long as you're not seen. I got lucky and tranq'd one and put him in the copter, but the second began to walk away before I could get to him. So I hopped in a jeep and ran his rear end down before he got to the point. Then I just drove my happy self out of the area.

Bring on The Phantom Pain! :dance:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

Take a shot anything scraps along his chin.

During the Jetstream Sam DLC there is at least one instance, maybe two, where Sam only just barely misses having his chin scraped in the exact same way! :haw:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm pretty sure he can't eat anymore. Full-body cyborgs in MGS use nutrient gel pumped directly into their organs. :spergin:

Uh, what organs? Aren't they just a spine, a pair of eyes and brain beneath the robot body? :confused:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, what organs? Aren't they just a spine, a pair of eyes and brain beneath the robot body? :confused:

After the intro he's only a spine, one eye and a brain :v:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Calaveron posted:

After the intro he's only a spine, one eye and a brain :v:

If I remember right the other eye is fake too. He's a tad bit more artificial in MGR than he was in MGS4.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Wow, Raiden was so unpopular that they literally rebuilt him from the ground up to get people to like him. It's like Scrappy Doo was tossed into a wood chipper and reassembled with Radio Shack components.

EDIT: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in a nutshell:

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Nov 10, 2014

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wow, Raiden was so unpopular that they literally rebuilt him from the ground up to get people to like him. It's like Scrappy Doo was tossed into a wood chipper and reassembled with Radio Shack components.

Actually, as is often the case, Raiden was apparently really popular in Japan. So I'm pretty sure the whole "rebuilding Raiden as a cyborg" thing was one of Kojima's ways of trolling his Japanese fans as he trolled everyone with Metal Gear Solid 4.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

In Borderlands 2, if you look off of the Bunker to the south, you can see Terramorphous the Invincible's flailing tentacles off in a lake in the distance. Neat :)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Whatever the case for Raiden, I'm just thankful for the image of him occasionally drooling all over himself because Doktor apparently forgot to give him a lower lip/drool cup.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

In a codec call Raiden mentions that not only can he eat, he can taste and selectively turn off his taste buds if he has to eat gross poo poo.

It's hilarious imagining a guy with essentially an exposed mandible trying to eat soup while guarding a foreign dignitary.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

In a codec call Raiden mentions that not only can he eat, he can taste and selectively turn off his taste buds if he has to eat gross poo poo.

It's hilarious imagining a guy with essentially an exposed mandible trying to eat soup while guarding a foreign dignitary.

He's got another body for nice occasions. Comes with the tuxedo already on and everything.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

He's got another body for nice occasions. Comes with the tuxedo already on and everything.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. His combat body isn't really made for that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, Raiden doesn't look like that all the time, and even mentions that he doesn't like using his combat body for anything other than combat because he gets very self-conscious when civilians start to stare. I imaging he even has a "home life" body that isn't much stronger than a peak-condition human body and has ultra high quality synthetic skin so he can look more normal. The body he has in the prologue and epilogue is a go between that allows him to pass as normal to anyone not standing next to him while still being able to take out a RAY.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I can picture him at home asking his wife which body he should take to dinner.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Suspicious Cook posted:

"Mandible on or Mandible off?"

"Too bad."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Suspicious Cook posted:

"The one with the biggest robo-dick"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leper Residue posted:

"Mandible on or Mandible off?"

"Too bad."

Beholt, Herr Raiden, your new body; zee Adrian Barbeau-Bot!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bushido Blade remake lookin' good.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bushido Blade remake lookin' good.

Missing the bit where robot A cuts down robot B mid bow.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

botshido

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

"SWORD ALGORITHMS ARE SELF-CODED, BUT SUFFICIENT FOR USE. HOWEVER, KEY PROTOCOLS ARE MISSING."