Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

therattle posted:

True, true, but the restaurant is nice.

The only Italian places in central London i could think of are either expensive or crap.

Yeah i'm not sure what to recommend in terms of italian.

I think i've mentioned it about a million times but i'm a big fan of brasserie zedel. It's on picadilly circus so you can't get any more central, beautiful place and great food and extremely reasonable prices considering it's the same people who do the wolseley plus there's a really nice cocktail bar part of it though that isn't very reasonably priced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Cool, thanks for the help, shame about the Italians. In that case, any other date type favourites you guys have in the area?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah i'm not sure what to recommend in terms of italian.

I think i've mentioned it about a million times but i'm a big fan of brasserie zedel. It's on picadilly circus so you can't get any more central, beautiful place and great food and extremely reasonable prices considering it's the same people who do the wolseley plus there's a really nice cocktail bar part of it though that isn't very reasonably priced

Excellent suggestion. Slightly pricier: Tapas Brindisa.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm horribly spoilt having a restaurant and a butchers/cookshop in the family so haven't been elsewhere a huge amount recently. Was the italian suggestion because she likes it or because you just want a slightly romantic place to go?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

I'm horribly spoilt having a restaurant and a butchers/cookshop in the family so haven't been elsewhere a huge amount recently. Was the italian suggestion because she likes it or because you just want a slightly romantic place to go?

The former. That said, love of all things food is a significant shared interest, so really anywhere good is good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

therattle posted:

True, true, but the restaurant is nice.

The only Italian places in central London i could think of are either expensive or crap.

Polpo in Covent Garden, get there early and have a cocktail.

How has nobody recommended this already.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Zedel is absolutely fantastic for an impressive setting with good food. Every time I go I'm surprised at how cheap it is, and never really think the food is noticeably worse than The Wolseley/Delauney/Berners Tavern and other similar places. It's simpler I guess.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

tarbrush posted:

Cool, thanks for the help, shame about the Italians. In that case, any other date type favourites you guys have in the area?

Less central (sort of) but I've always enjoyed the food here. The pizza isn't great so give those a miss but the pastas have always been delicious. They do the most amazing garlic mushrooms, too, with garlic and white wine sauce that is like crack. It's really nice and cosy, busy enough but chilled enough to make it a nice environment. I wouldn't mind at all if someone took me there as a first date.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 23, 2014

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Thanks for the help everyone :)

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Well, I sadly didn't get to eat much interesting food last week because the person I was staying with in London only wanted to eat at American chains that are in London. I was very disappointed. In good news though I'm arriving in Greenwich this Saturday and will be living there indefinitely. I believe there is a market in the area on Saturdays or Sundays? That sounds interesting. Also anything I must try in that area would be appreciated but I'll be headed to all over London now that I won't be staying with the dirty only chain restaurant eating friend.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, there's Greenwich market in the square every weekend. That's got a good and very varied selection of food stalls. I had Ethiopian last time I went.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider
So, where are good places for breakfast? I'm staying in a hotel near the Kensington Palace. Doesn't have to be super close, but close to the tube stations would be helpful.

Thanks!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Personally I'd go down to Covent Garden and go to Dishoom - http://www.dishoom.com/covent-garden/

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Onion Rings posted:

Well, I sadly didn't get to eat much interesting food last week because the person I was staying with in London only wanted to eat at American chains that are in London. I was very disappointed. In good news though I'm arriving in Greenwich this Saturday and will be living there indefinitely. I believe there is a market in the area on Saturdays or Sundays? That sounds interesting. Also anything I must try in that area would be appreciated but I'll be headed to all over London now that I won't be staying with the dirty only chain restaurant eating friend.

Aw man, that must have sucked - arriving from the States and then going to American restaurants.

If you're in Greenwich, the Old Brewery does the gastro pub thing nicely but their beer is a bit hit and miss. Still a good shout though.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

kim jong-illin posted:

Personally I'd go down to Covent Garden and go to Dishoom - http://www.dishoom.com/covent-garden/

I will second this, Dishoom's brekkie is delicious.

Also worth a look in Covent Garden, Balthazar - http://balthazarlondon.com/

If you have a bit of time to spare on Saturday or Sundays the brunch at Roka Canary Wharf (http://rokarestaurant.com/canary-wharf/en/menu/brunch/) is awesomely good value. Do go hungry though, there is more than enough food.

Supernova9
Apr 5, 2005
Any suggestions for a nice but early (pre-theatre) dinner in/around the West End? Thinking of something maybe East-Asian or Indian/South Asian. Budget not really an issue (willing to splurge) just want somewhere nice where we can eat and still make it to a 7:30 show.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Supernova9 posted:

Any suggestions for a nice but early (pre-theatre) dinner in/around the West End? Thinking of something maybe East-Asian or Indian/South Asian. Budget not really an issue (willing to splurge) just want somewhere nice where we can eat and still make it to a 7:30 show.

Rosa's Thai Cafe and Cay Tre (Vietnamese) on Dean St are pretty good, as is Chiang Mai Thai (I think that's the name) on Frith next to the excellent Koya (Japanese).

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

therattle posted:

Rosa's Thai Cafe and Cay Tre (Vietnamese) on Dean St are pretty good, as is Chiang Mai Thai (I think that's the name) on Frith next to the excellent Koya (Japanese).

Seconding Cay Tre and Koya, boh are great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spuckuk posted:

Seconding Cay Tre and Koya, boh are great.

Yeah, Koya is excellent, Cay Tre is good/v good, the Thai places are decent.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone know where to buy proper Canadian style cheese curds? I know there are a few places offering genuine poutine now but I can't find anywhere selling them at all.

If you aren't familiar with them as cheese curds, they aren't the same as curd cheese (which is more like a cream cheese spread).

They are rubbery little finger sized/shaped pieces of unripened cheddar. They squeak when you chew them.

Also acceptable would be leipäjuusto, a Finnish version of the same thing.

If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Does anyone know where to buy proper Canadian style cheese curds?

If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated!

Neal's Yard Dairy apparently do cheese curds. http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I have contacted them and this is true, the Borough Market location carries them. Thanks!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I went to 500 in Holloway and it was really, really good. We asked for one starter to share and they split it into two smaller portions. The staff were so charming and helpful and the food was super delicious. Recommend!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

I went to 500 in Holloway and it was really, really good. We asked for one starter to share and they split it into two smaller portions. The staff were so charming and helpful and the food was super delicious. Recommend!

I've just eaten there once but it was good. Neris, you're a fellow N4er: have you had a sandwich from the Italian shop? They're REALLY good.

Unrelatedly, Sainsbury's TTD mozzarella and blue Stilton are both really excellent. I tend to not buy cheese from supermarkets but they are very good.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Hi all. I'm moving to London next week. Will be living in Putney and working in Farringdon. On that note, do any of you learned foodies have...

a) Recommendations for dinner in Putney? Have heard good things about Prince of Wales and Ohayo Sushi.
b) Recommendations for lunch spots in Farringdon?

I love any and all cuisines so fire away.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Anae posted:

Hi all. I'm moving to London next week. Will be living in Putney and working in Farringdon. On that note, do any of you learned foodies have...

a) Recommendations for dinner in Putney? Have heard good things about Prince of Wales and Ohayo Sushi.
b) Recommendations for lunch spots in Farringdon?

I love any and all cuisines so fire away.

The Italian right next to Putney rail station is good for a casual dinner/lunch. The owner is lovely and the prices are reasonable.

The South African café thing to the other side of the station entrance (next to the flower shop) does some great sandwiches and decent morning baps if you ever need to grab a bite and some coffee on the way to somewhere.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

The Italian right next to Putney rail station is good for a casual dinner/lunch. The owner is lovely and the prices are reasonable.

The South African café thing to the other side of the station entrance (next to the flower shop) does some great sandwiches and decent morning baps if you ever need to grab a bite and some coffee on the way to somewhere.

Cheers lad. Will try both.

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
When I worked near Farringdon we regularly grabbed a Daddy Donkey burrito for fat boy Friday's.

Leather Lane in general has a great selection of lunch options / street food.

There's an incredibly nice fish & chip restaurant opposite Wandsworth Town station - which is kinda near Putney.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Any recommendations for the Angel area? Lunches in particular since I've started working there. Chipotle Burritos are fine but I'd like to expand horizons etc a bit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

My partner went here last week and absolutely loved it - I'll almost certainly make the trip next time I'm in London

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
What's good in terms of restaurants that specialize in offal?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skeesix posted:

St Johns?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

OK, I'd heard about that one, just wanted to make sure that was still the place.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
That's THE place, but lots of places feature offal rather nicely in their menu. Off the top of my head Bocca Di Lupo does some great tripe pasta.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.
So I've somehow been tasked with taking a group of five Chinese scientists around London on Monday, and I'll need to scope out three possible dinner options very close to where they're staying in Paddington (W21UH).

Maybe a quintessentially English choice (do those even exist), Italian / Indian maybe? Anything but asian food since the idea will be to branch out.

We need to be able to comfortably walk in off the street. Price is not a massive concern, but these are not super rich people. I'm also wary of any kind of overly trendy setup or ordering system which will confuse the hell out of five suited asian men with terrible English.

I would be forever indebted to anyone offering any suggestions. Google turns up a lot of stuff, but it's hard to know what's what, and I'm already freaking out organising the day enough.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I'm not super familiar with Paddington area, but these two are nearby and decent:

The Mitre near Holland Park tube station does very nice english pub food, more restaurant than boozer.
http://themitrew11.co.uk/

Otto in Notting Hill does excellent cornmeal crust pizzas by the slice (3 is a meal) with changing beer menu and special desserts. Nice staff.
http://www.ottopizza.co.uk/

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

sweat poteto posted:

I'm not super familiar with Paddington area, but these two are nearby and decent:

The Mitre near Holland Park tube station does very nice english pub food, more restaurant than boozer.
http://themitrew11.co.uk/

Otto in Notting Hill does excellent cornmeal crust pizzas by the slice (3 is a meal) with changing beer menu and special desserts. Nice staff.
http://www.ottopizza.co.uk/

Thanks! The Mitre in particular looks good, but they're both probably too far away.

I'm hoping it's close enough that I can leave them to find their own way back to the hotel. Might be a tough one.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Skeesix posted:

Probably a bit late notice but my brothers new place has a guest chef in tomorrow doing a 5 course offal dinner with 5 matched wines for £40

http://instagram.com/p/vGV9TKE4_W/

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Probably a bit late notice but my brothers new place has a guest chef in tomorrow doing a 5 course offal dinner with 5 matched wines for £40

http://instagram.com/p/vGV9TKE4_W/

Your Brother runs Hill and Szrok? I was just at Broadway Market last weekend. Great looking place and my friend bought a Ribeye too cook at home there from the Butcher. Looked great all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Onion Rings posted:

Your Brother runs Hill and Szrok? I was just at Broadway Market last weekend. Great looking place and my friend bought a Ribeye too cook at home there from the Butcher. Looked great all around.

Yep! Between there and the 3 crowns I'm absurdly spoiled for food in London.