Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Jamesman posted:

What do you need explained that didn't come across in the video, or the videos of the other perspectives?

You're missing the point, the point is that I'm not going to watch a video of some annoying guy that that rambles.

quote:

"I think what we've learned through Xbox Live is something that we can help in unifying a little bit of what happens with Minecraft today," he said. "If I'm on PC I get access to the mod servers; if I'm on console or the mobile editions, I don't. We're looking at how do we bring that whole system together a little more. Because there are other games out there that let me move from screen to screen fairly seamlessly."

This scares me a bit, does this mean that Minecraft will soon be forced to use their next incarnation of Windows Live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

That is a misleading article title if I've ever seen one.

lovely News Article posted:

Asked directly about the possibility of Minecraft 2, Spencer said discussions about future extensions of the series--which he admitted not everyone may agree with--will come later.

"I don't know if Minecraft 2, if that's the thing that makes the most sense. The community around Minecraft is as strong as any community out there. We need to meet the needs and the desires of what the community has before we get permission to go off and do something else," he said. "It doesn't mean that everything we're going to do is going to map to 100 percent of their acceptance, because I don't know if there is any topic where 100 percent of people agree. But we look at Job 1 is to go out and meet the needs of the Minecraft community first, and then we can think about ways that we can actually help grow it. That's our sole focus."

So not ruling it out, but no immediate plans and even admitting that such a thing might not make sense.

Also, interesting:

lovely Article posted:

He also reminds gamers that the deal has not yet closed (it is expected to by the end of the year) and that Mojang is still in control of the series.

Wondering if "Mojang is still in control of the series" is because the deal isn't closed or if that is a stipulation of the deal. If it is the later then Mojang could potentially go "gently caress no" to a sequel.

Also, Phil seems crazy (or maybe hasn't actually looked into the game in question) if he thinks he can unify the various versions.

Also, confirmation that the movie, being made with Warner Bros, wont be out till possibly 2017-2018.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Minecraft 2 is basically guaranteed. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but give it a few years of Minecraft still being popular and it will happen. It might be a blatant cash grab but it might also turn out to just be an update as code is not a thing that ages gracefully. Eventually there comes a point where it's better to just rewrite the whole goddamned thing from the ground up.

The best analogy I got for this came from a professor; he said a program is kind of like a pair of pants. Over time the pants wear out. The more you do with them the worse they get. You patch parts of it because you like the pants but eventually they quit resembling the original pants. Give it long enough and the patchwork mess that was once your favorite pair of pants just needs to be replaced with new pants. Give it long enough and Minecraft won't be maintainable anymore. It happens to every program.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Enzer posted:

Also, Phil seems crazy (or maybe hasn't actually looked into the game in question) if he thinks he can unify the various versions.

The very idea that one might be able to go from PC version to the Xbox version or whatever is ludicrous. He makes it sound like jumping from world to world. The game doesn't work that way in the slightest, and the way he worded it, it's almost like he wanted to be able to jump from a modded server to another server, which is just... no.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Enzer posted:

That is a misleading article title if I've ever seen one.

So not ruling it out, but no immediate plans and even admitting that such a thing might not make sense.

Also, interesting:

Wondering if "Mojang is still in control of the series" is because the deal isn't closed or if that is a stipulation of the deal. If it is the later then Mojang could potentially go "gently caress no" to a sequel.

Also, confirmation that the movie, being made with Warner Bros, wont be out till possibly 2017-2018.
it's CLEARLY because the deal isn't final, it's hilarious you would even consider that other possibility exists. And yes it is easy to unify all the versions. Just ditch the java version and port the xbox version to PC, which would be hilarious.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best analogy I got for this came from a professor; he said a program is kind of like a pair of pants. Over time the pants wear out. The more you do with them the worse they get. You patch parts of it because you like the pants but eventually they quit resembling the original pants. Give it long enough and the patchwork mess that was once your favorite pair of pants just needs to be replaced with new pants. Give it long enough and Minecraft won't be maintainable anymore. It happens to every program.

It sounds more like your professor was a terrible programmer. I do think there will be another version of Minecraft within a few years but it might not be called Minecraft 2.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 25, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jamesman posted:

What do you need explained that didn't come across in the video, or the videos of the other perspectives?

It was his melon farm build and the update. Unless you also got the save world, the tower design he was describing didn't make sense. He later added an update, improving the design but really rushed it, so I had to freeze the video to see what he was describing. They're not big mistakes, he's normally very careful to give you time to see what he's doing from different angles. But compared to the average sperg who takes 5 minutes to even get to the poorly-edited badly-angled "masterpiece", those like Nims and Mumbo are loving artistes. I appreciate the work those guys put into it, but you do need to structure it well or it's wasted.

Babe Magnet posted:

Counterpoint: this also sounds insufferable

I think youtube instructional videos are a good thing, there's just a lot of poo poo out there. Here in Australia, we pay for downloads and I'm on a fairly lovely plan, so I have to trade off watching something that might be useful vs a waste of time and money. Sorry if that seems insufferable, but I'd appreciate some quality control.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Schweinhund posted:

it's CLEARLY because the deal isn't final, it's hilarious you would even consider that other possibility exists. And yes it is easy to unify all the versions. Just ditch the java version and port the xbox version to PC, which would be hilarious.

Hilarious. Right. And also destroy about half the community or so all at once.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

Ah, but that doesn't take into account Phill's amazing vision of a future where you can jump between modded servers and put modded servers on the console. :v:

Good luck getting said mods to confirm with all the insane XBoxLive requirements, good luck getting modders to make a dual compatible versions of their mods, good luck getting modders to go along with this without paying then a poo poo ton of money, good luck with the massive tidal-wave of complaints when young children start running into issues trying to mod their console version. Not saying it is absolutely impossible, but it would be a giant nightmare for those who actually have to make it work. :allears:

And yeah, not saying that there wont ever be a MC2, but we are still a far ways out. I'm betting it wont come out till after the movie does, otherwise might end up in a situation where the movie has no relation to the current product they are trying to push and is just a giant advert for the old version of the game.

I also love suggestions of ditching the java codebase because half the dev team either only codes in java or specializes in java. I'm pretty sure if Mojang was told they had to drop the java codebase they'd be like "Whelp, give it to someone else, it is your loving problem now" and just start working on a new game.

Speaking of, everything I keep reading seems to be a flip flop on which it is, but is MS buying Mojang or are they buying Minecraft. I'm expecting it is Mojang that is being acquired for 2.5 Billion, but there are more sources that just say it is Minecraft that MS is buying.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 25, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My takeaway from that article--would could be wrong, it's mostly fluff and little information--is that saving the XBox division is a big reason they bought Minecraft.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Just get rid of mods and everything would be fixed. The mod community isn't as big or important as you think. The players who obsessively post online about the game aren't representative of the entire userbase who are mostly 10 year old kids. And a large majority of the users who do use mods would just upgrade as usual and forget about them. Throw in a feature or two they want like name changes and they will be happy. I'm not saying it will happen but I do think it's an option they are considering.

And Mojang probably isn't going to exist anymore. They want the Minecraft name tied to Microsoft, not Mojang. The current Mojang workers will be assimilated into Microsoft if they are willing and able or let go.

edit: to be clear, I don't want them to get rid of mods.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 25, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Listened to the Podcast where the article posted above got its information and it is kind of odd because the interviewer asks Phil what the Games Division plans to do with the Minecraft IP (they talk about how MS as a company isn't touching Minecraft and is letting the Games Division call all the shots on what to do with it) and Phil lists a lot of stuff about expanding the brand into other departments and growing the base game so that it is available on even more platforms (what the gently caress is even missing) and he kind of just leaves it at that. The interviewer had to kind of poke at Phil and his reaction alone kind of tells that they're not even really considering it at this point.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/23/podcast-unlocked-episode-167-phil-spencer-interview

Minecraft talk starts at 38 min in and is the last part of the segment.

As much as the Xbox Division kind of bumbles about on poo poo I will give Phil for at least acting like he understands that the MC community is incredibly fickle so he is approaching MS's involvement with the game with a careful approach.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Minecraft for Wii U/3DS confirmed, only platform left.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Does height affect getting mobs to spawn? I'm trying to get mobs to generate from a spawner, but I'm 60 blocks above it, and nothing's coming out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

Does height affect getting mobs to spawn? I'm trying to get mobs to generate from a spawner, but I'm 60 blocks above it, and nothing's coming out.

You have to be within a certain distance, and that includes vertical.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

You have to be within a certain distance, and that includes vertical.

I know about the horizontal distance, but I can't find anything about the vertical distances.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jamesman posted:

I know about the horizontal distance, but I can't find anything about the vertical distances.

The distance is a sphere around the spawner. Yes, it's weird when everything else is cubes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Umbra Dubium posted:

The distance is a sphere around the spawner. Yes, it's weird when everything else is cubes.

That means I can only be 16 blocks above the spawner.

This is a problem. :(

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Silk touch picks really should pick up spawners!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jamesman posted:

That means I can only be 16 blocks above the spawner.

This is a problem. :(

Yup. This was/is a problem with the spawner system I built.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found a skeleton spawner, and wanted to relocate the skeletons near the surface so that if I had a charged creeper, I could mass the skeletons in a reasonable location to bring the creeper to them and get skulls. I didn't realize I had to be so close to the spawner, height-wise. So now I set up closer to the spawner, and set up a routing system for when I want to send the skeletons to the surface and when I want to XP grind.

Now there's just one more problem; I can't seem to get any mob softening systems to work in 1.8. Does anyone have any working designs, or should I just use a manual piston?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Now there's just one more problem; I can't seem to get any mob softening systems to work in 1.8. Does anyone have any working designs, or should I just use a manual piston?

Not sure if it will work for your application, but the "drop 21 blocks" thing still works for me. Built a skeleton spawner XP grinder on 1.8.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

Just get rid of mods and everything would be fixed. The mod community isn't as big or important as you think. The players who obsessively post online about the game aren't representative of the entire userbase who are mostly 10 year old kids. And a large majority of the users who do use mods would just upgrade as usual and forget about them. Throw in a feature or two they want like name changes and they will be happy. I'm not saying it will happen but I do think it's an option they are considering.

And Mojang probably isn't going to exist anymore. They want the Minecraft name tied to Microsoft, not Mojang. The current Mojang workers will be assimilated into Microsoft if they are willing and able or let go.

edit: to be clear, I don't want them to get rid of mods.

Literally millions of minecraft players use mods. If you are not using a modded client, then there's a decent chance you play on a modded server. It may or may not be the majority of players, but it's a pretty huge percentage. You'd not only directly impact those players, but the reverberations throughout the rest of the playerbase would be pretty big due to the outrage.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm glad Notch is making fat piles of money on this. That's living the American Dream and if you don't like it you're probably a communist or something.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Widestancer posted:

I'm glad Notch is making fat piles of money on this. That's living the American Dream and if you don't like it you're probably a communist or something.

:colbert: I'm a merchantilist and believe a significant portion of Notch's money should have gone to the indie guild, so we can have more lovingly crafted masterpieces as Mine-
I'm sorry, I can't continue.

From the sounds of the interview, the PR guy doesn't understand minecraft at all, but that's forgivable since he was probably only put in front of a mic because that's his department.

Purely speculating and it's probably all stupid, but they may be considering redoing minecraft's code base. It won't be Minecraft 2, just a different base. I -could- see minecraft's mods be put on a server to download sort of like how resource packs are handled, but that only works currently in Java. All their other platforms would need a similar codebase, which a rewrite could do. Then the only issue becomes all the modders who wouldn't be able to do anything with Minecraft now in C# or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Literally millions of minecraft players use mods. If you are not using a modded client, then there's a decent chance you play on a modded server. It may or may not be the majority of players, but it's a pretty huge percentage. You'd not only directly impact those players, but the reverberations throughout the rest of the playerbase would be pretty big due to the outrage.

Microsoft, I put a bees mod on my xbox server and now everything crashes with the message that I'm "technic scum". Please fix minecraft!!!!!!!11!! :byodood:

I imagine the chaos of multi-platform mods would be quite terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If their plans were to bring XBox Minecraft up so that it can play on vanilla PC servers alongside PC clients, it would not be technologically impossible to make Xbox Minecraft capable of playing on modded servers in much the same way that vanilla Minecraft is capable of playing on modded servers. The client is entirely unaware that there are any mods going on.

The real challenge given how Mojang works at the moment would be transitioning the development team to a real roadmap and planned feature release system to keep two entirely separate codebases in feature sync.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

If their plans were to bring XBox Minecraft up so that it can play on vanilla PC servers alongside PC clients, it would not be technologically impossible to make Xbox Minecraft capable of playing on modded servers in much the same way that vanilla Minecraft is capable of playing on modded servers. The client is entirely unaware that there are any mods going on.

The real challenge given how Mojang works at the moment would be transitioning the development team to a real roadmap and planned feature release system to keep two entirely separate codebases in feature sync.

The other big issue is would be the difference in coding language used between the two versions and the fact that 4J Studios has diverted from how the console version plays compared to the PC version. A lot of it is small things like their player skin system being completely different and allowing for additional model geometry to things like how the End is generated differently and the Enderdragon behaves completely different, having actual attack patterns and such outside of "flys through the player".

Mojang has encouraged the various platforms to go their separate ways on things so that each platform has something unique to it, Pocket Edition has a few extra crops and mechanics and is getting completely different boats, for example.

So you got the issues of:
-Versions coded in different programing languages.
-Console version developed by a third party studio and may have a drastically different codebase by this point.
-Console version, is again, developed by a third party studio so you would have communication issues trying to get the various teams working together in unison.
-The different platform versions of the game have been actively encouraged to have unique things.

And that is before the hardware issues and stupid spec limitations that you run into on the console version to begin with (like, you know, the reason why its limited to such a small world). :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 27, 2014

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

Vib Rib posted:

Kleaveland looked amazing and had liquids, mobs, weapons, and plans for dynamic adventuring, but despite the last few updates looking super-promising, there's been no update in over a year, so I'd say presumed dead.

I realize I'm quoting a month old post, but there seemed to be some interest around Kleaveland in this thread. Kleaveland lives on under the name Pangenesis. I've made a new thread with the details here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677674

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ha, I was actually contemplating posting that in here myself. It's really shaping up, and I'm glad I was wrong about its status.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DuFfY posted:

I realize I'm quoting a month old post, but there seemed to be some interest around Kleaveland in this thread. Kleaveland lives on under the name Pangenesis. I've made a new thread with the details here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677674

Thanks, DuFfY! It looked very interesting and I'm happy it's not dead :)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I found a skeleton spawner, and wanted to relocate the skeletons near the surface so that if I had a charged creeper, I could mass the skeletons in a reasonable location to bring the creeper to them and get skulls. I didn't realize I had to be so close to the spawner, height-wise. So now I set up closer to the spawner, and set up a routing system for when I want to send the skeletons to the surface and when I want to XP grind.

i use the height thing to keep mobs from spawning at night start of game, I grab dirt during the first day then nerd pole up to about 30-40 blocks up then no creepers spawn on the ground.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

DuFfY posted:

Hell, yes.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Glad to hear the positive response to Pangenesis. Tehsid has set up a dedicated server for goons only, feel free to come and join us for some testing!

The password and server details can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678616 (please don't repost the password)

I know this is off-topic so I won't gunk up this thread any more. Come and join us here if you have any questions.

DuFfY fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 5, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I bought Minecraft for the PC ages ago and then kinda forgot about it. I came across the Mindcrack UHC videos and would throw those on when I was doing something around the house, and later picked up Pocket Edition, which was great back when I was taking a bunch of public transit and had lots of time to kill.

I've started playing Survival on the desktop version. In the game I'm playing now, I've set up a base around a village, built a Nether portal (quite lucky with that, it came out right next to a Nether fortress), and just finished up building an enchanting table/surrounding it with bookshelves. I've been playing semi-blind, only looking up stuff as I need to.

Couple questions:

1) It was getting hard as poo poo to find cows for the leather I needed for the books. Should more spawn eventually, or can you really hunt an animal to extinction in an area? Fortunately I had a pair of them I'd trapped in a pen on a whim much earlier, so by commandeering the village's wheat crop I was able to force-feed them into great enough numbers to finish the library. (Set up a sugar cane farm for the paper, which worked nicely.) I don't even bother harvesting the wheat anymore, have a few stacks chillin' in a chest. Ditto on the sugarcane.

2) Have been to the Nether, grabbed soul sand/wart and got a Blaze Rod for my brewing stand (not too hard, just beaned the poo poo out of it with snowballs). Only found one Magma Cube big enough to drop the cream for fire resist potions so far.

3) I'm level 34 now and have that enchanting table, but I'm basically all outta diamonds. I've found enough to make a pick and an enchanting table, but only have one left over. (Did find a desert temple, but accidentally set off a booby trap and blew the treasure room to kingdom come before I could check out the loot.) I've poked around in a few deep crevasses I've found and mined down to bedrock two or three times, still only came across it once or twice. Have almost two stacks of iron, 14 gold, and a decent amount of lapis/redstone. Should I just keep digging? It's more likely to be near lava, right?

On that, what order (tools, armor, weapons) is generally recommended for enchanting stuff? I was reading the wiki page on enchanting and my eyes started to glaze over.

4) Most efficient way to get flint? (Note: not yet to the point where I care to gently caress around with redstone machines and the like) I have a ton of feathers from keeping chickens, flint is the usually the limiting factor when I make arrows.

edit:

5) In an earlier game, I tried to make a lovely solar mob grinder. Basically, covered a valley with a ceiling of alternating glass and cobble (rows of each). Nothing ever spawned in it overnight though. Any particular reason it might not have worked?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 6, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Peaceful mobs do respawn, but very slowly. I forget what the actual likelihood is but you can play for days without getting anything.

So if you want a lot of leather, you gotta find a pair of cows and breed the poo poo out of them with wheat. That's just how the game works. Fortunately this doesn't take too long, you can breed cows really goddamn fast (they accept wheat every 5 minutes and grow to maturity in 20, so do the math).

Diamonds only appear below level 16, so dig around long enough down there and you'll find them.

And as for flint, just dig every block of gravel you find. There's no super efficient way to get it.. if the gravel doesn't produce flint, place the block again and dig it back up until you get flint. Eventually a fortune III enchantment on a shovel will give you a 100% chance at flint.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

4) Most efficient way to get flint? (Note: not yet to the point where I care to gently caress around with redstone machines and the like) I have a ton of feathers from keeping chickens, flint is the usually the limiting factor when I make arrows.
get gravel, make a nerdpole, destroy it, repeat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I think I've made arrows probably twice in my long Minecraft career. Between just killing skeletons and infinity bows it's just never an issue

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oddium posted:

I think I've made arrows probably twice in my long Minecraft career. Between just killing skeletons and infinity bows it's just never an issue

Skeletons aren't a super great source of arrows until you find a spawner, and infinity bows take a pretty big enchanting investment to acquire. Neither things that a new player is going to have available, even if they know those features exist.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ah sorry, I'm just extremely good at the 'Craft so approaching things from a peon point of view is something I over look sometimes

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Peaceful mobs don't spawn if there are too many other peaceful mobs nearby, so if you've got a pen full of chickens, you won't get any cows spawning for a fair distance in any direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "solar grinder". Mob grinders in general are pretty fiddly things. Could you post a screenshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Skeletons aren't a super great source of arrows until you find a spawner, and infinity bows take a pretty big enchanting investment to acquire. Neither things that a new player is going to have available, even if they know those features exist.

One of the first things I got from fishing was an Infinity/Power IV/Unbreaking III bow. I have two of them now.