Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

quote:

My inner feminist is vibrating with rage

Does this strike anyone else as poor word choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

radthibodaux posted:

Does this strike anyone else as poor word choice?

Out of that whole review, I felt like that was the only good word choice.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You can tell TBT's power is waning as ADWD gets stale because people had to quote and post GRRM perving out on sexy-GRRM halloween costume instead of automatically assuming those quotes existed and moving on to speculation of the even worse thoughts he's not expressing.

IT PUTS ON THE BEARD AND THE WIG, OR IT GETS THE HOSE!

kcroy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

radthibodaux posted:

Thanks for clarifying this. The quote says explicitly that he isn't Cissy's father but everyone was freaking out about it so I thought maybe I was missing something. Like you said, seems to basically just be some lovely, light erotica not something twisted enough to be of note.

No it's okay because in this anime she's actually a 5000 year old demon, well past the age of consent. :rolleyes:

Even if I agreed that it's just some weirdo light erotica, it's not like it exists in a vacuum.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Guys please post pearshapedman.txt stop it with the cocktease already

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

visceril posted:

Guys please post pearshapedman.txt stop it with the cocktease already

When I googled it, the full story was one of the first links.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No it's okay because in this anime she's actually a 5000 year old demon, well past the age of consent. :rolleyes:

Even if I agreed that it's just some weirdo light erotica, it's not like it exists in a vacuum.

Even the out-of-context text quoted here included the fact that the character was 18 (and it's not shown in the quote, but she's from a character the author wrote when he was younger so she's actually even older). What exactly is he questionable part of it? It's almost exactly the Cool World scenario - author creates an unrealistic over-sexualized character that should only exist in the context of bad fiction, and the character magically becomes real. The author is disturbed by the character being real, I think it's pretty interesting commentary on the relation between creators of fiction and their characters, and also how internal sexual fantasy can be something that you don't actually want in reality.

True that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. It was just presented here that way, leaving out the context of what Cissy is, her relation to the author - it's clearly trying to trick people into thinking that it's an incest-related story because she's referring to her creator as "Daddy". Yes, that's creepy, but it's INTENTIONALLY creepy, writing characters who are supposed to be sexy is weird enough without them coming alive and trying to seduce you. The rest of the book has several other characters from the protagonist's fiction coming alive to the author's discomfort. GRRM has written plenty of stuff that was edgier and creepier than that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It is pretty creepy because while they aren't related the father/daughter dynamic is hammered in with all the subtlety that GRRM can muster.

Hell he even has his character give in to the impulses.

Maybe GRRM has written creepier, but that doesn't mean poo poo when discussing it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

GRRM has written plenty of stuff that was edgier and creepier than that.

That's supposed to make me feel better about it?

Edit: That's exactly what bothers me about it, I'm not talking about the additional context of "Well she's actually 18, and fictional, and meta-written as a barely legal hottie with rockin' tits" or "It's a medieval world! 12 years old isn't the same thing to them!" I'm talking about the additional context of GRRM himself. Dudes fixated, has some odd hang ups, and I'm not really interested in hearing anything even vaguely sexual out of him anymore.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 5, 2014

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

It was just presented here that way, leaving out the context of what Cissy is, her relation to the author - it's clearly trying to trick people into thinking that it's an incest-related story because she's referring to her creator as "Daddy". Yes, that's creepy, but it's INTENTIONALLY creepy, writing characters who are supposed to be sexy is weird enough without them coming alive and trying to seduce you.

You are right. Context is key. For some of that creepy-rear end context, let's go to the NAB!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/384710.html

Front and center in the entry titled "Amanda's Deflowering" is a picture of a tween girl playing a ukulele. Maybe I'm oversensitive, but alarum bells are going off.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

AtAt-de-fay posted:

You are right. Context is key. For some of that creepy-rear end context, let's go to the NAB!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/384710.html

Front and center in the entry titled "Amanda's Deflowering" is a picture of a tween girl playing a ukulele. Maybe I'm oversensitive, but alarum bells are going off.

Current Mood: bouncy

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TK-42-1 posted:

Current Mood: bouncy

:eyepop:

KabukiAvenger
Jul 15, 2008

So this happened.

Its too bad - it may be just enough to satisfy book readers. I was betting the D&D hate train would chug on until the season premiere.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I couldn't remember what Meathouse Man was about, so I looked it up and :stare:

Found this amusing review on Goodreads:

Amusing part bolded because seriously since when the gently caress was ASoIaF set in a world that's historically or culturally accurate beyond vague comparisons to a modern perception of pre-feminist and feudal society? Also what kind of idiot thinks that humans are going to stop being humans just because in 1000 years we've developed the technology to live on other worlds?

Because people are clinging to anything to justify something from a man that writes like John Wayne Gacy with a typewriter and if its going to be "its appropriate because medieval times were hosed up!" then they'll hold on tight, as an obese man writes sex scenes involving adolescents with the specificity and cloying allusions only seen from the hands of a killer clown.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They confirmed flashbacks in this upcoming season so it could be nothing.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But then which parts would be grisly (or maybe he meant there's a grizzly bear?)?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

On the other hand, I thought one of the major (or at least more convincing) arguments against Stoneheart was that Michelle Fairley might not want to waste her time putting on a ton of makeup and not speaking for a few scenes per season when she could be doing other things. If they are bringing her back for flashbacks, they can do double duty and film LS scenes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

The North Tower posted:

But then which parts would be grisly (or maybe he meant there's a grizzly bear?)?

I missed that part, but to salvage my post I'll say it's a graphic full shot of Robb being born.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

KabukiAvenger posted:

Its too bad - it may be just enough to satisfy book readers. I was betting the D&D hate train would chug on until the season premiere.

Did he take down the tweet or are you just loving with us? It's not on his twitter anymore.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So I get the choice of not having cannons and poo poo. But there is a bunch of smart dudes in Oldtown and not one of them was like "Holy crap when things explode things fly really fast, if only we could harness that energy."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd buy that the Maesters have explosives knowledge but consider it a kind of magic and sit on it.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Why would the maesters care about military tech? They're neutral and doctors/teachers/scribes mainly, almost never advisors. Maybe they're sitting on a bunch of advanced (relatively) magitek armor and weapons and are going to swoop in to take over and bring order and progress under their enlightened despotism

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

visceril posted:

Why would the maesters care about military tech?

Fighting dragons

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Beware that, when fighting dragons, you yourself do not become a dragon.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

visceril posted:

Why would the maesters care about military tech? They're neutral and doctors/teachers/scribes mainly, almost never advisors.

What? They are all advisers. That is why Barbrey Dustin despises them in ADWD. They are the realm's doctors and scientists, but they also hold powerful political positions because they hold the ears of lords and control communications.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So I'm almost done with TWOIAF and I already forgot a lot of stuff so here's some stuff I didn't forget, none of this is 'confirmed' but it all seems pretty obvious, didn't see any discussion about this here so:

It's pretty much confirmed that the ghost of high heart is a child of the forest. The reeds are also descendants of the children of the forest. Valyria was destroyed by the faceless men who assassinated the wizards who were controlling the 14 volcanoes valyria was built upon, the valyrians were constantly feeding slaves into the volcanoes or something similar to maintain their magic and breed dragons, gold was also seemingly a part of the process, there is probably something still alive back at Valyria that eats people. Every single Targaryen other than Aegon I was a terrible idiot, this includes Egg who wiped up 90% of house targaryen and was probably more insane than Aerys.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thank you for reading that so I didn't have to.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

there is probably something still alive back at Valyria that eats people

But how are people prepared? Capers? Orange glaze? Are they jellied, candied, maybe malted? Good ser, do not withhold the most pertinent of information. Prithee, bless us with such faire knowledge!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

visceril posted:

Why would the maesters care about military tech? They're neutral and doctors/teachers/scribes mainly, almost never advisors. Maybe they're sitting on a bunch of advanced (relatively) magitek armor and weapons and are going to swoop in to take over and bring order and progress under their enlightened despotism

The Oldtown stuff shows that, at the high levels, the Maesters are not neutral at all and have a very specific goal and mindset they're trying to foster on to others. They seem to have some Illuminati-grade plotting going on there.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Valyria was destroyed by the faceless men who assassinated the wizards who were controlling the 14 volcanoes valyria was built upon, the valyrians were constantly feeding slaves into the volcanoes or something similar to maintain their magic and breed dragons, gold was also seemingly a part of the process, there is probably something still alive back at Valyria that eats people.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard about ASOIAF recently. :psyduck:

:confused:"Hey we have this all-powerful empire and it sits on volcanoes that we have to actively keep from obliterating us, maybe we shouldn't focus all of our power in one place?"
:pseudo: "Nonsense, nothing could ever go wrong we are find what's hubris?"
:saddowns:"..wait what do you mean a guild of peerless assassins killed some of our critical mages and our lack of a backup plan for their deaths has doomed everyone?"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone in the ASOIAF universe making bad decisions with no foresight? How totally unprecedented.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hey man if you got a better way to mine fire mana we'd all love to hear it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FMguru posted:

Someone in the ASOIAF universe making bad decisions with no foresight? How totally unprecedented.

You've got to admit that even for ASoIaF it seems spectacularly short-sighted and conceptually dumb in the old "our ancient forefathers were dumber then us otherwise they would have figured out all these miraculous scientific advances we take for granted and took hundreds of years to take root" way, which directly goes against the average portrayal of ASoIaF's world where the characters are more or less shown to have a modern capacity but are lacking in areas like institutional education and certain scientific breakthroughs like atomic theory and calculus.

If I were being generous I'd say it's because we don't quite know the full story and for all we know there were back-ups or it was just one or two lovely rulers that weakened the system enough to allow a coup, but since this is GRRM we're talking about I'm going to guess this is just bad fan-fiction he signed off on because he so clearly wants to just watch football, perv on actresses, do book readings, and collect royalty checks for the rest of his life and be done with this miserable fiction.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 7, 2014

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The ebb and flow of functional magic might play into the inability to keep their poo poo from exploding. I can't remember if they said it only died with the dragons or if it went in seasonlike cycles.

The maesters/oldtown are the thing I'm most looking forward to never reading. Then maybe Aryan just because it's the only other storyline that isn't some tired bullshit at this point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I look forward to new POVs from lys, qohor, and asshai.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lol like we're ever going to see Asshai

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Personally I'd like to see things from Jalabhar Xho's POV.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Urdnot Fire posted:

Personally I'd like to see things from Jalabhar Xho's POV.

Oh yeah I forgot, all of winds of winter being about taking back the summer islands would pretty much redeem george in my eyes. He could include an epilogue that says "meanwhile back on the wall, watch the tv show".

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Lol like we're ever going to see Asshai

Anyone else parse that as "Asshat"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"meanwhile back on the wall...

You know, I really wish I could have been sitting there, when his editor got to that part. The slight frown, the crease in her forehead. She's been at this job a long time. Dealt with a lot of bullshit. Too much bullshit. Eyes glance at the empty box the script came in. Her first thought?

"That Absolute Fucker"

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Oldtown stuff shows that, at the high levels, the Maesters are not neutral at all and have a very specific goal and mindset they're trying to foster on to others. They seem to have some Illuminati-grade plotting going on there.

:confused:"Hey we have this all-powerful empire and it sits on volcanoes that we have to actively keep from obliterating us, maybe we shouldn't focus all of our power in one place?"
:pseudo: "Nonsense, nothing could ever go wrong we are find what's hubris?"
:saddowns:"..wait what do you mean a guild of peerless assassins killed some of our critical mages and our lack of a backup plan for their deaths has doomed everyone?"

Metaphor for the Federal Reserve.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I look forward to new POVs from lys, qohor, and asshai.

Next book will include new POV characters from the Children of the Forest, a White Walker, and one of Dany's dragons reflecting on their freedom and eating all those tasty things that aren't mommy but look kinda like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

I look forward to a POV from Robert Strong.