Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

has anyone said wayland/gnutani ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

u twice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

sun type 4 supremacy

also, isn't systemd going to handle input device routing and mapping in the future?

logind will hand out fds to input devices and modesetting devices to wayland compositors like gnome and also revoke access to them if the user changes virtual console (which will uh also be a thing that lives in user space somehow, but the plan for how exactly this will work has changed a few times)

which is a good thing, because giving random user applications access to the keyboard is bad (keyloggers) but running the desktop environment as root is also bad, so having logind act as the gatekeeper is a pretty decent solution.

the new linux graphics and service management stack that's emerging is just so much better designed than every single other os out there

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
This reminds me of the guy who was emailing ubuntu-devel recently asking for a patch to the 20 year old xkeycaps program so he could rebind his sun keyboard.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you're saying gnome 3 drops support for any non-windows keyboard?

because kde and xfce both work just fine on a sun w/ sun keyboard

No, I'm saying that that's the default, because that's 90% of the world.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/configure.ac#n507

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
does anyone even still make non-windows keyboards aside from just putting a different logo on the windows/command/subpar key?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

L1-A gave me all the feedback I needed

I wonder if anyone's written an SS1 emulator

an ss1 is a sun-4 aka sparc. full-system sun-4 emulation is still profitable enough to be commercial. simics is cool if you can get a license for it.

if you just want to play with sunos, there is a free software emulator for sun-2 and sun-3 (68k) systems called "tme"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

logind will hand out fds to input devices and modesetting devices to wayland compositors like gnome and also revoke access to them if the user changes virtual console (which will uh also be a thing that lives in user space somehow, but the plan for how exactly this will work has changed a few times)

which is a good thing, because giving random user applications access to the keyboard is bad (keyloggers) but running the desktop environment as root is also bad, so having logind act as the gatekeeper is a pretty decent solution.

the new linux graphics and service management stack that's emerging is just so much better designed than every single other os out there

To answer this correctly, currently VT switching is collaborative. You open /dev/input to get access to evdev (input devices) and /dev/dri/card0 for kms (modesetting), and then use VT_SETMODE so that you know when you switch away and switch back. And when you switch away and switch back, you promise that you've stopped processing stuff from /dev/input. And of course you can get it wrong.

In the logind world, when you ask logind to switch VTs, it switches. Full stop. It drops DRM master and revokes your evdev fd, making both of them useless. When the user switches back to your VT (and it will let you know when, not using UNIX signals), it will hand you new FDs at the same time.

So, this explains how sessions are in userspace: there's a bunch of sessions with "session controllers" which all register with some central switching daemon, which can forcibly revoke you at any time. When you switch to another controller, it simply pulls you out and puts another central controller in. So instead of being collaborative, it's preemptive. Bugs like the XMir one can never happen, no matter how badly the session controller is written.

The other interesting thing is that none of this relies on the kernel's VT system. You can run this entirely on one VT, with CONFIG_VTs disabled.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every user only uses 10% of the features. which is to say, each user cares deeply about a different 10% subset of available features.

what you dismiss as a "kitchen-sink" attitude, the rest of the world sees as featureful software.

that's funny, iOS users don't seem to have Stockholm Syndrome about apps minimizing to the notification area where they didn't belong in the first place

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 6, 2014

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

speaking of Stockholm Syndrome…

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Soricidus posted:

it's literally true. it's the reason I stopped using ubuntu years ago, after they deliberately shipped broken video drivers because the alternative was either delaying the release slightly or leaving out some other feature that required the new broken beta drivers.

(anecdote may be inaccurate because gently caress looking up the details)

if you're talking about what i think you're talking about then it was actually about plymouth, the truecolor splash screen thing that still doesn't and probably never will work with proprietary drivers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

long term sucking

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

rly good joke. sorry i missed it the 1st time. bravo :bravo: *standing o*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it would be cool if u could game good on linux but i tried and got bad fps and also it looked bad like low settings when on windows i get uber fps and max settings (talking baout DOTA here)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

it would be cool if u could game good on linux but i tried and got bad fps and also it looked bad like low settings when on windows i get uber fps and max settings (talking baout DOTA here)

Dick Orifice Torn Apart

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Dead Of The Aids

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Dead Of The Aids

thats me!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

This reminds me of the guy who was emailing ubuntu-devel recently asking for a patch to the 20 year old xkeycaps program so he could rebind his sun keyboard.

please don't dox grey beard stymie

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://www.bloodbathsoftworks.com/xylemon/xlennart.php

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmio

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Lennart Poettering
Yesterday 2:47 PM

Well, I figure if I play that game, I will win every single time regardless which moves I do!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hey if I were gonna install linux on a spare partition, just for laughs, which one should I use as of today?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Silver Alicorn posted:

hey if I were gonna install linux on a spare partition, just for laughs, which one should I use as of today?

Install gentoo.

Actually don't. Just do yourself a fabor and buy a mac.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I already have a mac. I recently cleared off a drive so I could do a clean install of windows to troubleshoot something, so now I have a spare partition

also I have installed gentoo in the past and used to be a fervent user of it but it's too much hassle nowadays (and bad)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
for the desktop? Fedora and Debian are decent

server? CentOS or RHEL are literally the only correct choices (maybe SLES if you're a weirdo euro)

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

arch because its the easiest way to get a clean and current gnome desktop up and running

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

last time I tried arch I had a hell of a time getting the fonts to look presentable but hey I'll give it a go. been using centos and debian at work mostly

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

computer is tools. updating arch often breaks tools, devs don't give a poo poo. janitoring for the sake of janitoring is not enlightening. use arch if your time is worthless

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

OldAlias posted:

computer is tools. updating arch often breaks tools, devs don't give a poo poo. janitoring for the sake of janitoring is not enlightening. use arch if your time is worthless

seriously, there are plenty of ways to dick around and "learn" in a more usable distro. Or do development itself.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OldAlias posted:

computer is tools. updating arch often breaks tools, devs don't give a poo poo. janitoring for the sake of janitoring is not enlightening. use linux if your time is worthless

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

OldAlias posted:

I used Arch. This is 100% why I moved on. Don't use Arch.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Maluco Marinero posted:

I used Arch. This is 100% why I moved on. Don't use Arch.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
seriously though they'd hvae something decent if they'd just stop breaking poo poo constantly

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hmm no

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it would definitely still be a pos os

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If you absolutely must use Linux because you're an idiot like me, it really depends on how much janitoring you want to do:

Infrequent - Debian stable, Ubuntu LTS etc.
Frequent - Debian testing, Ubuntu etc.
Constant - Arch, Gentoo, Debian unstable

I think I used SUSE once because it's the only one that ships KDE by default. That was a mistake.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i run debian stable on my server and make sure to apt-get upgrade whenever anything that has "ssl" in it is updated

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I do my laptop linuxing with debian testing because it breaks less than arch and has the newest gnome.

e: whoops i said unstable instead of testing

Rahu fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 7, 2014

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ZShakespeare posted:

If you absolutely must use Linux because you're an idiot like me, it really depends on how much janitoring you want to do:

Infrequent - Debian stable, Ubuntu LTS etc.
Frequent - Debian testing, Ubuntu etc.
Constant - Arch, Gentoo, Debian unstable

I think I used SUSE once because it's the only one that ships KDE by default. That was a mistake.

What of RHEL and Fedora?

Or just run your own (or someone else's) bespoke buildroot installation and never update because you'd have to wade in there and compile everything over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I don't know anything about those because every time I have been forced to use linux I had my choice and went with what I know (debian). Aside from that one time I went insane and spent a week setting up arch on a netbook (I was also insane when I thought that was a good idea).