Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, Taro is a worthless shithead, but somehow seeing the actual flow of events makes me feel less like this mixup is 100% his fault. I mean, MINIMUM 40% HIS FAULT, but all this message relay poo poo and bruised egos...

Then again I haven't hard a job that was very "producing" things before so maybe everyone being cloistered off to avoid proper communication serves some purpose I can't imagine as a sane person

Addendum: If there was any doubt before that the director was supposed to be Mizushima Seiji then his receiving an award for an anime that sounds suspiciously like "Fullmetal Alchemist" in this episode confirms that poo poo

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I know I'm quoting myself but screw it, he deserves it.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Tarou is literally The Worst.

Great episode though, this show continues to impress. It's too bad Tarou's gonna get bailed out because Aoi has to get involved now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

OnimaruXLR posted:

Man, Taro is a worthless shithead, but somehow seeing the actual flow of events makes me feel less like this mixup is 100% his fault. I mean, MINIMUM 40% HIS FAULT, but all this message relay poo poo and bruised egos...

Hell no, it's way more of his fault than that. His job as a production assistant isn't just to relay messages like some kind of phone line, his whole job revolves around him being able to appease both sides properly and resolve issues that come up. The end results of the episode depends on how effective he is at his job, of which he is a massive detriment to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pandaK posted:

Hell no, it's way more of his fault than that. His job as a production assistant isn't just to relay messages like some kind of phone line, his whole job revolves around him being able to appease both sides properly and resolve issues that come up. The end results of the episode depends on how effective he is at his job, of which he is a massive detriment to.

He basically said the wrong thing every time to maximize the troubles too.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If anyone doesn't know, key animators get paid by the cut so when Taro said it's great he has less work now it also meant he'd be getting paid less at the end of the month. Considering the loan remark he probably needs all the work he can get.

Taro is a poo poo head.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jumping on the "gently caress Taro forever" bandwagon, what a loving moron. I mean sure, we all have moments where we're trying to satisfy two sides and kind of gently caress up on one end or the other, but that was nothing short of a catastrophe. He took a little friction and turned it into a wildfire.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

He basically said the wrong thing every time to maximize the troubles too.

Honestly. The whole situation could have been avoided even if all he had done was relay the exact same messages just without insulting the people he was speaking to like he did when he was all "ENDOU SAYS 3D IS DULL AND STUPID" or "HEY ENDOU THE AGE OF TRADITIONAL ANIMATION IS OVER". And then at the end Aoi's freaking out and all Taro can say is "well now you have to help me :smug:" like a little 3 year old. I hope the climax of the show is someone punching him the gently caress out.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That isn't even the worst part, even after Endou left all Tarou had to do was tell his bosses what happened so they can figure out what to do from there. Instead he calls Aoi because he's too worried about looking bad.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

That isn't even the worst part, even after Endou left all Tarou had to do was tell his bosses what happened so they can figure out what to do from there. Instead he calls Aoi because he's too worried about looking bad.

Plus, you know, he's kind of latched onto Aoi in a rather creepy fashion for the last episode or two even before this just to make this extra fun. Him weakly searching for compliments while begging for Aoi's help was all kinds of cringey.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I was behind 2 eps and after having watched today's I wish I had waited another week. I wanna see it get solved after that other animator guy decided to make things more difficult.

In the end though I have to agree: loving Tarou.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's great because anyone who's ever had a job knows and hates someone exactly like Tarou.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I bet Gonzo had multiple Tarous which is why everything turns to poo poo after episode 5 of every anime they made.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A studio staffed entirely by Tarous, each making frog noises at the slightest disturbance.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tarou is the worst. President is the best. Don't give a gently caress about anything except cooking.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
This had to have been a deliberate reference to Genshiken, right?

They are both voiced by the great Nobuyuki Hiyama.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

sincx posted:

Oh my God

We had plenty of good Aoi faces this week. And not-Ichiro Itano was seriously amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sincx posted:

W
x
Y
has been around before Genhiken I think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

We had plenty of good Aoi faces this week. And not-Ichiro Itano was seriously amazing.

Best shot of the episode was when we cut away from Taro's Fuckup Flashback and get a good shot of Aoi looking just completely unimpressed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The discussions and battle between the Traditional and CG animation sorta hits me at my core, since I'm a traditional animator working increasingly in an industry that has decided to back CG for the most part.

Although to be fair, even CG films use traditional artists and techniques for pre and early production.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

Tarou is the worst. President is the best. Don't give a gently caress about anything except cooking.

Note that every scene where President brings in something he cooked the mood changes in such a way that things actually get done.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Note that every scene where President brings in something he cooked the mood changes in such a way that things actually get done.

So does the president actually do jack poo poo on the show itself, or does he just run the financials and make sure everyone has delicious homecooked meals?

Also, a president who spends his time making delicious homecooked meals for his office is pretty cool.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Waiting for the president to cook up some donuts.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The transition between the director receiving the award and the Jiggly Jiggly Heaven reception montage was also priceless.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I also liked that the method of getting him to animate the storyboards just involved cramming him in a makeshift prison cell. I am a little afraid to ask how true this is to the industry but it was pretty funny in anime form at least.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Just a bit of trivia.

They used Ichiro Itano as the older animator saying "no, its ok to use 3DCG!" because thats basically the career path he took - for the past decade or so any animation work he's done has been CG. There are health-related reasons for him not doing any 2D animation anymore but he doesn't hate the CG.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good Listener posted:

I also liked that the method of getting him to animate the storyboards just involved cramming him in a makeshift prison cell. I am a little afraid to ask how true this is to the industry but it was pretty funny in anime form at least.

"Start drawing, please....Start drawing, please. :catstare:"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They locked the wrong guy in the cell. :colbert:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 7, 2014

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Poil posted:

They looked the wrong guy in the cell. :colbert:

Look, do you want them to /keep/ Tarou?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Arkeus posted:

Look, do you want them to /keep/ Tarou?
That's a good point. I wouldn't trust that rear end to even handle serving coffee without causing more unnecessary drama and ruining countless important documents, drawings and computers by spilled coffee.

I really hope that Aoi will have enough sense to immediately go to her boss, even if just to inform him on what's going on.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Good Listener posted:

I really wonder why the heck they even have a room like that in the first place.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are many dark secrets in anime.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

graybook posted:

I really wonder why the heck they even have a room like that in the first place.

You mean you don't have a room you can lock someone in and force them to do the job they're paid for at your workplace? :raise:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

graybook posted:

It seems reasonable that a large organization would want a portion of their storage space to be access-controlled.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

sincx posted:

It seems reasonable that a large organization would want a portion of their storage space to be access-controlled.

True, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a jail cell.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the jail cell is just there to be a comical exaggeration, considering it has the tatami mats and graffiti you'd expect in a cell rather than a controlled-access storage area.

Besides, it's better than being beaten to death by a metal baseball bat.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Sindai posted:

Who doesn't want to be treated by the studio head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BPTNdmdJSc

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, how about the Ideon-I mean Idepon- cameo in the new episode?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Literally every single line Tarou uttered in this episode made me mad. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Holy poo poo, Waiting for Godot. Did not expect that reference.

• Locked thread