Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you who got a free game with your 970/980: If it's a preorder, like say Far Cry 4, does it appear for you in your UPlay account yet?

I chose Far Cry 4 and it's not showing up under games in UPlay. Maybe it's just the interface, as I know it isn't out yet, but I'd still expect to see it tied to my account...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

cisco privilege posted:

Unless the PSU has some kind of unknown hardware fault, it's more than fine for your card and 3 years of degradation wouldn't make a dent. Either your GPU wasn't actually stable at those clocks, or there's a hardware/driver problem with the card.

Thanks. I've popped it back down to +200 core and will monitor from there. I just see folks reporting +200/+500 as pretty reasonable to attain OCs and I want to rule out everything besides the card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hace posted:

Buzzing from the actual components.

Specifically chokes and transformers, they are the components with coils. Soemtimes you can put a drop of nail polish or glue gun the coil to stop the whine, but all the newer cards are using encased coils so you can't get to them.

I think the whining from my Zotac went away on it's own actually, or at least it is quieter than my tinnitus.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

I run a 780ti on a 1440p display and cant say It has any problems. Now granted im not jacking off to benchmarks but ive never been playing a game and thought, man i really need more power.

Sorry for the super late response :shobon:

I guess it depends on how well you can tell between 30-40FPS and a smooth/constant 60ish. There's a bunch of games that I play that need SLI to run at 60FPS @1440p with all the settings maxed and SMAA/TXAA enabled.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

Specifically chokes and transformers, they are the components with coils. Soemtimes you can put a drop of nail polish or glue gun the coil to stop the whine, but all the newer cards are using encased coils so you can't get to them.

I think the whining from my Zotac went away on it's own actually, or at least it is quieter than my tinnitus.

I'm so glad that if any of my cards did have whine, I'm too deaf to hear it. There's no way I've been lucky enough with as many cards as I have had to never have a single card with coil whine.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Got the card today, everythings working great! My cpu temps seem to have also dropped a few degrees even.

Is there a good guide to overclocking the 970?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Zero VGS posted:

The guitarist in me enjoys the idea of absurd acrylic potted graphics cards for superior computer tone. :downs:

I've read about coil whine going away as well, though I'm not sure quite how that would work. I guess the metal might eventually settle in such a way as it isn't as easily caused to move? I wonder how much of an issue it is, apart from the annoyance factor. Seems like everyone's getting really good overclocks out of everything, which I'd think would be pretty severely hampered by lovely power regulation and delivery.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

postcapt posted:

I ordered an MSI card on Oct 8 and got my code this morning without a hassle.

I ordered an ASUS card from Newegg as well last month and got a code by just asking if they could let me in on the promo over chat. No hassle for me either.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

track day bro! posted:

Got the card today, everythings working great! My cpu temps seem to have also dropped a few degrees even.

Is there a good guide to overclocking the 970?

Set the core to 1500 and see if it crashes, if it does, back off a bit. Most times 1500 seems to be the sweet spot, pushing past it doesn't net much and almost all cards seem to be able to handle it.

I noticed last night that the Asus GPU Tweak only goes to 1400. Gotta get the newest Afterburner I guess.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Took out my 770, used the integrated graphics til my new card showed up. Installed it, machine only boots to windows loading screen and then nothing when the login page should be displayed. Entered safe mode and removed all existing drivers, still the same. Lights on my mouse and keyboard all shut off as well at this point though everything on the tower looks fine. Bios shows gpu dimm post, the little light is on the side of the card, again everything looks fine until just before login. Thoughts? 750w psu, only a year old but I think it should be fine.

edit: magically fixed itself like most problems.

I got one of my 970s from Canada Computers and they honored the promo, sent me the code as soon as I inquired about it yesterday. I asked the other company I ordered from who isn't listed as a partner on the NVidia site and they said anything after Nov 1 should have a code and they'll let me know.

Double edit: Rebooted cause battlefield thought my portrait monitor was landscape and vice versa, and it's hanging again before login. Think my psu is a big pile of poo poo?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 6, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Uh never mind.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 6, 2014

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I have a 660 Ti which runs CoD AW like poo poo. I really want to play FC4, what do I need to upgrade to? And is now a good time to upgrade?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wengy posted:

I have a 660 Ti which runs CoD AW like poo poo. I really want to play FC4, what do I need to upgrade to? And is now a good time to upgrade?

Now is a great time if your budget stretches up to the $320-350 range, buy a 970. The question gets more complex if you don't have that much.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Wengy posted:

Perfect time since FC4 is one of the free games

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Swartz posted:

For those of you who got a free game with your 970/980: If it's a preorder, like say Far Cry 4, does it appear for you in your UPlay account yet?

I chose Far Cry 4 and it's not showing up under games in UPlay. Maybe it's just the interface, as I know it isn't out yet, but I'd still expect to see it tied to my account...

I chose asscreed, "bought" it on the Uplay store, and it showed up on my Uplay program. No preload, though :(.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

So the GTX 970 is the way to go? Sweet, I think I can swing it. Might go for an Asus this time, my current card is a Gainward and I hate the overclocking software that came with it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just chiming in to say Newegg honored my free game promotion despite ordering it a month ago. No hassle did it through chat.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Anyone had any luck with Scan regarding the free game? Their forums mention that you should speak directly with a CS agent regarding a code and that they're in talks with Nvidia. Fired off an email asking to help a fellow Boltonian out.

Turd Eater
May 11, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Just chiming in to say Newegg honored my free game promotion despite ordering it a month ago. No hassle did it through chat.

I tried the same thing and they said no.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

codo27 posted:

Think my psu is a big pile of poo poo?
What model PSU? If it's a Raidmax or Cooler Master, then yes, it is probably garbage. If it's a Seasonic or decent CWT-based model then it's probably not that.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Turd Eater posted:

I hope that's not a policy change, I need to try when I get home from work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turd Eater posted:

Worked for me, just reopen a chat with someone else, maybe you were just connected to a bozo.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Turd Eater posted:

Here is my chatlog:

new egg promotional chat support posted:

newegg: Thank you very much for that information. The promotion was from 11/4 but your purchase was made on 10/2. You are not eligible for the promotion.
    newegg.:   Please allow me one second to check what can be done for you.
    me:   I was told by another newegg user that you were honoring hte promotion retroactively for people who purchased this card
    me:   And that tiger direct, and microcenter and amazon were also retroactively honoring this
    newegg.:   Thank you for holding. We value you as a customer of Newegg and I really want to help resolve your situation so I have created an order # [redacted] to send the item for you at no cost of your own. You will receive emails concerning the order status. You can check your order status under My Account.

Make sure you chat with the promotional/special support person.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

Worked for me, just reopen a chat with someone else, maybe you were just connected to a bozo.

Took me 2 tries at TD, DON'T GIVE UP. poo poo doesn't cost them anything.

Turd Eater
May 11, 2003
Yep, worked on the second try.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Which 980GTX is most recommended? I prefer a quiet card - my older eVGA 680GTX is quiet even under load.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I have the Asus 980 Strix and it's dead silent. No coil whine either.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Which 980GTX is most recommended? I prefer a quiet card - my older eVGA 680GTX is quiet even under load.

I've got a (reference cooler) EVGA 980 and it doesn't give me any sound no matter how much load I put on it, but I don't know if that's a consequence of my Enthoo Pro case being better at keep sound in it or if it's just a quiet card. Either way it's quiet enough that I have to basically put my ear near the case to hear anything, whether it be the card or the case/CPU cooler fans.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shima Honnou posted:

I've got a (reference cooler) EVGA 980 and it doesn't give me any sound no matter how much load I put on it, but I don't know if that's a consequence of my Enthoo Pro case being better at keep sound in it or if it's just a quiet card. Either way it's quiet enough that I have to basically put my ear near the case to hear anything, whether it be the card or the case/CPU cooler fans.

Reference as in blower or ACX? The 980s I had with the blower were loud as hell when they ramped up.

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
I bought my MSI 970 through Amazon on the 22nd. I contacted customer support about the Choose Your Path promotion and they stuck pretty firm with their position on not being able to honor the deal. I emailed them again basically explaining that I've been a Prime member for 5 years and that Newegg was honoring the deal for past purchases, so they gave me a refund of $70. $60 for the game and $10 extra. That's pretty awesome of them, so keep trying if you didn't have success with Amazon at first.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Too bad I bought my 970 locally on craigslist :cry:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Tried with Newegg.ca chat support twice. First one said no dice since it was over a month, second said they were out of stock on codes. I'll try again tomorrow when I can be bothered.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TerminalSaint posted:

Tried with Newegg.ca chat support twice. First one said no dice since it was over a month, second said they were out of stock on codes. I'll try again tomorrow when I can be bothered.

Just did the support thing because gently caress it, CS gave me a code right away.

veedubfreak posted:

Reference as in blower or ACX? The 980s I had with the blower were loud as hell when they ramped up.

Blower. Thing isn't loud and I say that as someone who makes his living working with audio, but I did jump ship from a 660, lovely case, and AMD CPU so maybe I'm just used to sitting next to a wind tunnel and this is just comparatively super ultra silent.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Turd Eater posted:

Said yes to me. "Your purchase was not eligible because of the date but you're a valued customer so we will send you the code."

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Found a stash of MSI 970's at my local Fry's this last weekend. Nothing in the box about any free games... welp.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

cisco privilege posted:

What model PSU? If it's a Raidmax or Cooler Master, then yes, it is probably garbage. If it's a Seasonic or decent CWT-based model then it's probably not that.

Its a Thermaltake Smart 750, and I was thinking of going with Corsair if I had to buy another one. Oh well. I went into safe mode and uninstalled all drivers again, that has me up and running once more but I have the feeling that it will poo poo the bed again when I reboot.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Would it be crazy to replace my GTX 460 with a GTX 970 without upgrading my 300 watt PSU? It's in a Shuttle so replacing the PSU would mean replacing half the system. Everything I can find online says the 970 will only use 4 more watts than my 460, which hasn't caused any power issues in 3+ years.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a specific brand of 970 to flat out avoid? I'm looking to buy one off Amazon, leaning towards the MSI or EVGA based off reading this thread.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Still incredibly happy with my EVGA (ACX 2.0 cooler). Not sure if any specific brands have had major issues, aside from periodic coil whine or fan probs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Is there a specific brand of 970 to flat out avoid? I'm looking to buy one off Amazon, leaning towards the MSI or EVGA based off reading this thread.

EVGA has the straight up worst cooler out of all the cards, and should be avoided. The MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte cards are all excellent with varying advantages. The MSI has the most capable cooler and is semi-passive, the Asus is also semi-passive and has a backplate and a single 8 pin connector which are niceties over the MSI, and the Gigabyte card has the best display connections by miles (triple DP, double DVI, HDMI) has a great cooler but is not semi-passive. They are all a good buy.

I personally bought a MSI for the best cooler.