Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Duckman2008 posted:

No, but i do use my finger to unlock my phone, so if i'm distracted while unlocking i could accidentally authorize it. I'll skip over the back and forth stupid debate and let's just say hopefully mine is an anomaly and glad others are working well.

It takes about twice as long to authorize a payment as to unlock the phone. Don't worry, you won't actually buy someone else's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bird Law posted:

I tried to use Apple Pay at Pantera Bread

I wish we had a chain of Pantera-themed bakeries in Canada. Cowboy Flatbread From Hell. Far Beyond Danish. Frenchbread Hostile.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I would go to Pantera Bread every day. Reinventing the Souffle.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ScarletBrother posted:

I would go to Pantera Bread every day. Reinventing the Souffle.

Forget the Apple Watch, Tim needs to get on this ASAP.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

BGrifter posted:

I wish we had a chain of Pantera-themed bakeries in Canada. Cowboy Flatbread From Hell. Far Beyond Danish. Frenchbread Hostile.

Cemetery Crêpes

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BGrifter posted:

By Doughnuts Be Driven.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

It takes about twice as long to authorize a payment as to unlock the phone. Don't worry, you won't actually buy someone else's thing.

I haven't actually used Apple Pay yet, so that is a good point to know. Thanks!

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Man the iPhone availability in the UK is bad. I ordered a 64Gb Gold 6 the day before yesterday via the apple online store and it's estimating my delivery between 19/11 - 24/11. According to the store page the 6+ has a delay of up to 4 weeks. I felt like I took the safe bet ordering direct from apple, but I know people that have just walked into phone shops and picked up the exact model they want there and then.

Is this pretty much the same situation in the US?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

BGrifter posted:

Forget the Apple Watch, Tim needs to get on this ASAP.

The best "one more thing..." ever.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Linx posted:

Man the iPhone availability in the UK is bad. I ordered a 64Gb Gold 6 the day before yesterday via the apple online store and it's estimating my delivery between 19/11 - 24/11. According to the store page the 6+ has a delay of up to 4 weeks. I felt like I took the safe bet ordering direct from apple, but I know people that have just walked into phone shops and picked up the exact model they want there and then.

It's worse in the US

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Mouth for More (Paninis)
Primal Concrete Wedge Salad
The Great Sourdough Trendkill

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linx posted:

In my area, I can get certain models of 6 today in-store, though all are 7-10 days for shipping and it looks like all 6+ are 3-4 weeks for shipping and none at all in-store.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Endless Mike posted:

In my area, I can get certain models of 6 today in-store, though all are 7-10 days for shipping and it looks like all 6+ are 3-4 weeks for shipping and none at all in-store.

Unfortunately my nearest store is an hour and a half away or I'd probably have done that. Does this mean that they're just ordering them straight from the factory in China to meet demand?

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...
I tried to use ApplePay at a CVS today, and the guy lied to me and told me they disabled it because of a security issue. He said people could steal your information wirelessly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Linx posted:

Unfortunately my nearest store is an hour and a half away or I'd probably have done that. Does this mean that they're just ordering them straight from the factory in China to meet demand?

Its just extremely hit or miss. I see the Apple store some days have the 6+ in various sizes (and 64GB 6's), and some days they don't get anything. The advantage to ordering is not having to check the Apple store for inventory every morning.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cory Snyder posted:

I tried to use ApplePay at a CVS today, and the guy lied to me and told me they disabled it because of a security issue. He said people could steal your information wirelessly.

Probably unintentional, he was probably told that by management or something. The general public is pretty oblivious to how these things work.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Cory Snyder posted:

Thank goodness for our Lord and Savior CurrentC keeping our information safe.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I have the opposite problem here. I went to a few different stores looking for a 64GB 6 and there were none. Everywhere I went had 6+

Wound up ordering the 64GB 6 online and got a 7-10 day shipping to my house lead time.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 6, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually chatted about CurrentC over lunch with buds today, and it unveiled another problem with their stupid scheme: they chose a name that sounds 100% generic when spoken aloud. It's impossible to use in a conversation because it always comes out like "currency." Which I understand was their intent, they thought they were being super clever, but they went overboard with the idea and created a term that will never be able to distinguish itself in a meaningful way.

Unlike, say, Xerox, or Kleenex, or iPhone, or whatever popular brand you can name.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

gay skull posted:

Quick question: My 5S has a problem where the glass feels sort of loose - like, you can pinch it and sort of feel it click, like a Macbook Pro's trackpad. I keep it in a case and I'm guessing it's covered under Applecare.

I did get a phone replaced for this under just the normal warranty.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Linx posted:

No, there are only 12 months in the US.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xzzy posted:

Actually chatted about CurrentC over lunch with buds today, and it unveiled another problem with their stupid scheme: they chose a name that sounds 100% generic when spoken aloud. It's impossible to use in a conversation because it always comes out like "currency." Which I understand was their intent, they thought they were being super clever, but they went overboard with the idea and created a term that will never be able to distinguish itself in a meaningful way

Well before Apple Pay they were safe because no one would have ever talked out loud about CurrentC.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Actually chatted about CurrentC over lunch with buds today, and it unveiled another problem with their stupid scheme: they chose a name that sounds 100% generic when spoken aloud. It's impossible to use in a conversation because it always comes out like "currency." Which I understand was their intent, they thought they were being super clever, but they went overboard with the idea and created a term that will never be able to distinguish itself in a meaningful way.

Unlike, say, Xerox, or Kleenex, or iPhone, or whatever popular brand you can name.
"Can I pay with currency?" just makes me sounds like I don't know how money works.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Actually chatted about CurrentC over lunch with buds today

You need new friends.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You need new friends.

Pfft, we all work IT. This is light fare for us.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

porktree posted:

No, there are only 12 months in the US.

Why are you defending the illogical MM/DD/YY format?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
God damnit. My iPhone 6 plus I ordered on launch day just shipped yesterday and I got to scope out the otterbox defenders which I have used on my 3, 4, & 5 and apparently the plus one is a big piece of poo poo and the screen protector floats above the glass because it's designed lovely.

Oh well I bought this thing by a brand that is called Joto, the spanish word for human being. It has good reviews and was dirt cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NF48N20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh well, I am gonna mail my iphone 5 into Apple as soon as I can to get a apple store gift card and use that to buy applecare+.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Is there really no way to label your cards in Passbook/Apple Pay? I have a Wells Fargo business debit card and a normal Wells Fargo debit card and both end up with the same image and the same "Wells Fargo Platinum Debit" label. Gah.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Linx posted:

Why are you defending the illogical MM/DD/YY format?

He's defending the international standard YYYY/MM/DD format, of which the short form is MM/DD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Linx posted:

The iPhone 6 came out here in Taiwan on 9/26. I've had mine ordered through my carrier since day one, and here we are, November 7, and I still have no phone.

You can order it through Apple directly and get it within 7-10 days. I'm having to switch to a contract to get LTE though, so I figured I might as well get the discount through the carrier. Buying it from Apple means just paying full price.

Honestly I don't really care since my 5 works fine for the time being. But I have the expanding battery issue which so far hasn't caused any problems somehow, despite the screen steadily separating from just a tiny bump on the top left side of the screen to the entire screen having a good 1.5 cm gap open on the top. I keep expecting it to just stop working one day and then that would totally suck if I hadn't gotten my 6 yet.

I got a text message from my carrier last Friday. It was about an iPhone, I could see on the preview screen! Excitedly opened the SMS app and found out it was just an apology for it taking so long. Thanks, guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

He's defending the international standard YYYY/MM/DD format, of which the short form is MM/DD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Also today is November 6th 2014.

M/D/Y

There is logic to it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Also today is November 6th 2014.

M/D/Y

There is logic to it.

You mean the 6th of November?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody says that. You should like a douche.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe Guy Fawkes

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'd like to get suggestions for a selling price for my iPhone 5, on Craigslist. 16GB, black, AT&T, jailbroken. It is also "like-new"; it is a refurbished unit from Apple that has never been used before by me. I don't see any physical defects on it, not even the slightest blemish.

Kinda hard to tell by looking what is on Craigslist now, because there's going to be underpriced later models, and overpriced 5 models. I was thinking $200. But do you think I could get more?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'm curious too; I also have one I might want to sell. If I can't find someone wanting to do a straight AT&T -> Verizon iPhone swap, which seems unlikely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

I'd like to get suggestions for a selling price for my iPhone 5, on Craigslist. 16GB, black, AT&T, jailbroken. It is also "like-new"; it is a refurbished unit from Apple that has never been used before by me. I don't see any physical defects on it, not even the slightest blemish.

Kinda hard to tell by looking what is on Craigslist now, because there's going to be underpriced later models, and overpriced 5 models. I was thinking $200. But do you think I could get more?

Maybe $250. If you are lucky $300, but that would be a stretch. You should definitely get at least $200 though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

One with a bit of wear should get $200. You can try for $225-250 if you upload a lot of pictures but I'd just do $200 and be done with it

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Whoa, wait! I just realized this is 32GB! (The original phone I used for 2 years that this replaced was only 16GB.) Definitely gonna go for $300 then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I got $420 out of my 32gb 5S on eBay two weeks ago. I'd say $300 isn't unreasonable at all.