Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

RZApublican posted:

Yikes. Is there a similar fix for Thunderbird?

I imagine it's the exact same thing, given that the networking security code is identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I imagine it's the exact same thing, given that the networking security code is identical.

Right, I meant how to access it, I can't just go into about :config on Thunderbird (unless there is something I'm missing here).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

RZApublican posted:

Right, I meant how to access it, I can't just go into about :config on Thunderbird (unless there is something I'm missing here).

Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor

Ah, never knew about that, thanks!

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I'm an Opera refugee and mostly think Firefox is fine but there was this one extension for opera that I loved and I don't thinkthere is something similar in Firefox but I thought I might ask anyway.

Basically the extension was a button that when clicked auto arranged all my tabs into neat little stacks. Eg if I had like 7 SA tabs open, 3 you-tube tabs, two Facebook and a Google page up and I pressed the button it would stack all of the SA tabs under the oldest tab etc. Is there anything like that for Firefox? My tab list keeps stacks but I have to manually move them around to keep them sorted. It was mostly a convenience thing but it was real nice for keeping all my tabs nice and organised and if I wanted to continue watching a YouTube video or the next one in a playlist or check up on a thread that I left halfway through I knew where to look.

I'm constantly losing tabs because I open a yt link from SA which gets stacked in the SA group, often as like the third or fourth stack down if I've been following links from other threads etc get halfway through or whatever and do something else and then can't remember where exactly it is hiding. its like a 20 second inconveniance but it would be rad if there was a way to get FF to do that since it is one of the last things I still miss from good ol' Opera12

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kuno posted:

Basically the extension was a button that when clicked auto arranged all my tabs into neat little stacks. Eg if I had like 7 SA tabs open, 3 you-tube tabs, two Facebook and a Google page up and I pressed the button it would stack all of the SA tabs under the oldest tab etc. Is there anything like that for Firefox?
Maybe this will work together with the stacking thing you've got? It can sort tabs by url, oldest/newest, last used and whatever. Seems to work here after a very superficial test.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Holy gently caress thank you, that seems like exactly what I wanted.

Goons are pretty alright.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Desuwa posted:

One of the recent updates sometimes breaks closing tabs. I'll "close" a tab but it'll still be visible in the list of tabs. If I try to select it it'll select the next tab to the right. On restarting Firefox the tab is still open but I can close it without issue.

I honestly can't be assed to try clearing my profile/addons for this as its fairly rare, maybe every couple hundred of tab closes, but I'd like to know if anyone else noticed this specific issue. Casual searches only turned up older tab closing issues that don't sound like the same thing.

In case anyone cares, I traced the issue to the SuspendTabs add-on. Going to have to look for an alternative because I depended on that to keep Firefox's memory usage in check.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Unloadtab for ages. Hasn't updated since February, but that version seems to be playing happily with Aurora so far.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

api call girl posted:

Committing to individually and indefinitely janitoring users on whichever machines manifest that problem sounds like a great use of my time. Even in a union shop I'm not going to send out this kind of make-work.
I don't know what your job is and what kind of scale you're talking about, but I would take a few 30-second-fix tickets over a full rollback to a version with known vulnerabilities, especially since unless version 34 fixes your hardware issue you're now stuck on a version with the SSL hole.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

api call girl posted:

Cool, Firefox 33 is doing that thing where it breaks with hardware acceleration and displays nothing in a black window. We only have thousands of machines of 3 loving models between like 4 driver revisions and it just shows up randomly on a few of them. No rhyme or reason.

Rolling everything back to 32.0.3 despite the security fixes. :sigh:

Your issue may have been fixed with 33.0.1 when it was released the other day.

Firefox 33.0.1 release notes posted:

Firefox displays a black screen at start-up with certain graphics drivers

I mean it could be something entirely different on your machines but that sounds like they've probably fixed it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lysidas posted:

Apparently in Firefox 33 there's new behavior on typing single-word hostnames into the address bar -- the default is now to search for that term and not to navigate to the address I explicitly entered, and to ask "did you mean to go to ..." instead.

I was about to ask if anyone knew how to globally disable this ridiculous bullshit, but it works to just completely disable searching from the address bar (which I should have done a while ago, but never really need to).

I know this is late, but according to this, if you click "Yes" on the dropdown, it will whitelist that single-word hostname for future lookups. That article even has an about :config option for controlling what domains are whitelisted.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Has anyone else experienced issues with the HTML 5 YouTube player?

I'm on 34 (Beta Channel) and I had to switch back to Flash since I kept on receiving stuttering with the HTML 5 version. It used to work fine until recently, probably right around the time I upgraded to the current beta version. It still works fine on Chrome, and I'm having no issues with the Flash player on Firefox.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thauros posted:

Has anyone else experienced issues with the HTML 5 YouTube player?

I'm on 34 (Beta Channel) and I had to switch back to Flash since I kept on receiving stuttering with the HTML 5 version. It used to work fine until recently, probably right around the time I upgraded to the current beta version. It still works fine on Chrome, and I'm having no issues with the Flash player on Firefox.

I had a problem where it would stop loading after I watched a bunch of videos. It might have stuttered too. I also switched back to the Flash version of YouTube. I use the YouTube Center Greasemonkey script, though, so I don't know if my problems were related to that or not.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I have issues on Win8.1 34, but not on Linux. Windows will have the video sometimes freeze while the audio keeps going, and trying to do anything else in the browser tends to lock it up for a good period of time.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

IPvSH6T posted:

I have issues on Win8.1 34, but not on Linux. Windows will have the video sometimes freeze while the audio keeps going, and trying to do anything else in the browser tends to lock it up for a good period of time.

I'm on OS X (still on Mavericks), and that's the problem I was experiencing minus the lock up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Knormal posted:

I don't know what your job is and what kind of scale you're talking about, but I would take a few 30-second-fix tickets over a full rollback to a version with known vulnerabilities, especially since unless version 34 fixes your hardware issue you're now stuck on a version with the SSL hole.

A few dozen of those a day, or wait a couple days ...

RZApublican posted:

Your issue may have been fixed with 33.0.1 when it was released the other day.

I mean it could be something entirely different on your machines but that sounds like they've probably fixed it.

See, the ostrich maneuver works out for me every time.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Somewhat derpass question...

At the moment, a Firefox tab only seems to be saving the past fifteen or so sites in its history. That is, if you click back or right-click back and get the drop down, that's as far back as you can go, and visiting more sites removes the oldest entries from the list. This isn't really a big deal, but I'm positive it used to save two or three times this. I'm obviously missing some setting somewhere that got changed at some point, but I can't seem to find it and trying to search for "firefox tab history" or variants thereof obviously come up with the wrong sort of information. Anyone have a hint where to look?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Asimo posted:

Somewhat derpass question...

At the moment, a Firefox tab only seems to be saving the past fifteen or so sites in its history. That is, if you click back or right-click back and get the drop down, that's as far back as you can go, and visiting more sites removes the oldest entries from the list. This isn't really a big deal, but I'm positive it used to save two or three times this. I'm obviously missing some setting somewhere that got changed at some point, but I can't seem to find it and trying to search for "firefox tab history" or variants thereof obviously come up with the wrong sort of information. Anyone have a hint where to look?

Try about :config > browser.sessionhistory.max_entries . Default is supposed to be 50.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hmm, yeah that's at 50. Might be some addom interfering with it or something. Time to experiment I guess!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not all of the retained sites show up in the drop down, but if you go back 10 then 10 more should become visible.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Anyone else use Windowblinds? Just updates to firefox 33.0.2, and my tab bar is suddenly completely transparent (aside from the glass effect):

It normally looks like this:

I restarted firefox in safe mode and had the same issue, so firefox addons/skins don't seem to be the culprit.

Disabling firefox in windowblinds per-application gets rid of the transparency issue, but also generally screws up the titlebar and makes it glitchy/unresponsive.

I'd prefer not to have to ditch windowblinds altogether, because I'm really happy with how my system looks, but this is really distracting :[

e: apparently a known issue http://forums.stardock.com/458459/page/1/ http://forums.stardock.com/458604/page/1/#3503217

quote:

We have a modification internally which resolved this, though on Windows 7 you will get a blueish gradient on the maximized windows. Unfortunately it is either this or solid black as FireFox is drawing this visual effect itself. On Windows 8 they are not so it will not have this surplus effect. I imagine a custom firefox theme would sidestep that issue too.

There are some other changes being done to WB right now, so once those are complete you should expect to see an update.

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 30, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Should I just go back to regular Firefox now that Pale Moon just broke every extension ever and a ton of sites in a big slap fight over GUIDs and user agent strings? Also not helping is that they're way behind on javascript engine updates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

Should I just go back to regular Firefox now that Pale Moon just broke every extension ever and a ton of sites in a big slap fight over GUIDs and user agent strings? Also not helping is that they're way behind on javascript engine updates.

You should never have used Pale Moon because their whole gimmick has been resisting change for the sake of resisting change.

Especially if you were running the 32 bit build of Pale Moon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

You should never have used Pale Moon because their whole gimmick has been resisting change for the sake of resisting change.

Especially if you were running the 32 bit build of Pale Moon.

Back when I first started using it the gimmick was having a Windows compile that was optimized for modern hardware when the official builds were targeting early 90s processors. The Luddism came later. I guess it's a good match for the recent trend at Mozilla of making changes for the sake of making changes.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 4, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Waterfox is an optimized compile without the other weirdness of Pale Moon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure if this issue is from the mobile (Android) or desktop version. I'm signed I to sync on both, but I can't see my mobile recent tabs in the desktop version. Any suggestions on fixes to try?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Palemoon has a reasonable UI so in theory it'd be worth using for that alone.
In an ideal world there would be a continuously up to date fork of Firefox but until that day comes we're stuck with it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is there a way to enable horizontal scrolling with a 2-directional mousewheel? Ideally I'd like to be able to use shift+mousewheel, like the standard behavior in OSX. I can't seem to find any good solutions to this.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It worked liked that by default with my mouse. v:shobon:v

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

The Dark One posted:

It worked liked that by default with my mouse. v:shobon:v

Yeah, same here. Logitech MX Performance on both Windows and OSX, and it works just fine. Make sure you have your mouse's software installed.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, same here. Logitech MX Performance on both Windows and OSX, and it works just fine. Make sure you have your mouse's software installed.

I'm using a Logitech M325 wireless mouse, and I've got the software installed. I had to mess around in the about :config setting to change firefox from the default setting where shift-mousewheel scrolls back/forward through your history, but holding shift and scrolling just scrolls up and down normally now. And I just checked the Logitech website and it looks like we use the same setpoint software? So I don't know...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I can longer see Blip videos at all, does anybody know off hand if my firefox version(29.B(?)) is what's causing it? A quick search didn't come up with anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neo Helbeast posted:

I can longer see Blip videos at all, does anybody know off hand if my firefox version(29.B(?)) is what's causing it? A quick search didn't come up with anything.

Is there any reason you're sticking with 29 when 33 is out?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Is there a way to limit the bookmark manager's search to a specific folder? I figured that I could use it to help sort bookmarks but it's looking like that's a really bad idea. Especially since it seems to be duplicated, rather than moving.

At this point, I'd be willing to look at extensions for bookmark management. I've got way too many bookmarks to sanely sort.

In some rather related topic, is there an extension that culls duplicate bookmarks, ones that bookmark the same exact page?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason recently firefox stopped opening saved html files. I double click or right click and open with firefox, and all I get is a blank firefox tab. What's up and how do I fix it?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I just updated to 33.0.3 and if I go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/ and scroll down to their animated graphs, it freezes up. Anyone else see this behaviour?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

The Dark One posted:

I just updated to 33.0.3 and if I go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/ and scroll down to their animated graphs, it freezes up. Anyone else see this behaviour?

Very yes. Complete freeze of Firefox here.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Dark One posted:

Happens for me too. You have to scroll immediately, though. If you let the animations load and play as you scroll, it won't lock up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

The Dark One posted:

No freeze, just no animation(just grey bars). Perhaps they've turned it off, perhaps it's because I'm on Linux.