Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gracepoint is a remake of acclaimed ITV series Broadchurch which won the BAFTA (British Emmy) for Drama Series, Lead Actress, and Supporting Actor. The show is a small town murder mystery in the vein of The Killing. Unlike The Killing, however, it doesn't suck.

Although Broadchurch was an 8-part series, episodes ran 44-50 minutes, so Gracepoint's 10 episodes should cover the same material. In fact, my understanding is the pilot is a shot-for-shot remake, which was also done with the U.S. pilot of The Office. David Tennant, most famous for playing the tenth Doctor Who, reprises his role from Broadchurch - no other actors do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

CHARACTERS

The Police

Detective Emmett Carver (David Tennant) is new to the town of Gracepoint

Detective Ellie Miller (Anna Gunn) is a townie and Carver's partner

The Solanos

Danny Solano (Nikolas Filipovic) is a 12-year-old boy whose death sets the show in motion

Mark Solano (Michael Peņa) is Danny's father and owns a plumbing business

Beth Solano (Virginia Kull) is Danny's mother

Chloe Solano (Madalyn Horcher) is Danny's older sister

The Millers

Joe Miller (Josh Hamilton) is Ellie's husband

Tom Miller (Jack Irvine) is Ellie's son and Danny's friend

The Press

Owen Burke (Kevin Zegers) is a young reporter at the local newspaper

Renee Clemons (Jessica Lucas) is a big city reporter who follows Carver to Gracepoint

The Townspeople

Reverend Paul Coates (Kevin Rankin) is the town's pastor

Susan Wright (Jacki Weaver) lives in the trailer park and has a dog

Jack Reinhold (Nick Nolte) runs the beach's kayak rental

Vince Novik (Stephen Louis Grush) is the coworker/best friend of Danny's father, Mark

Gemma Fisher (Sarah-Jane Potts) owns the town's only hotel where Carver is staying

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Broadchurch was excellent and I loved Tennant's performance. It will be interesting to see how he handles the same role in a different take on it.

I haven't done much reading into the remake, have they talked about if the storyline will end differently or will it stay the same?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm fairly certain it will have a different killer at the end of it. Aside from that, I imagine most of the story beats will be the same.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They could have the same killer or they could not. I suspect it's a closely guarded secret.

One thing I don't understand is the hotel owner. "Gemma" is much more a British name than American, and the actress herself is English.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

They could have the same killer or they could not. I suspect it's a closely guarded secret.

One thing I don't understand is the hotel owner. "Gemma" is much more a British name than American, and the actress herself is English.

The character was an aussie expat in Broadchurch so same sort of thing?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hated Broadchurch; not at first but, by the time it became clear that every suspect had one thing in common. I don't know how to talk about either Broadchurch or this remake of it without giving away the whole game. The whole series turned into an homage to pedophiles. I seriously doubt that American TV can deal with the subject matter without muddling it up even more than the British series did.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did anyone else watch the premiere?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I did. I really liked Broadchurch so I was looking forward to this.

I have to say... I'm disappointed that its basically a shot for shot remake.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero One posted:

I did. I really liked Broadchurch so I was looking forward to this.

I have to say... I'm disappointed that its basically a shot for shot remake.
That's not so crazy for a pilot. The script slowly starts to diverge and there are some big changes by episode 7.

Regardless, the ratings were not good and if this wasn't a miniseries, it would be cancelled after 10 episodes anyway.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I was going to quit watching after the premiere, seeing as how it was the exact same show. Glad to hear they're diverging.

I feel the same way about both Tennant's and Christopher Eccleston's accents, they're not bad, but I'd rather they just speak in their normal accent.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It would be funny if David Tennant was playing the EXACT same character.

After the events of Broadchurch he moves to a small US town as far away as possible. Then the exact same case happens again!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just don't understand the need for a remake. Is the concept of a passably good British show so alien to American audiences that it has to be reshot with the same characters, but with an American accent?

It's not like there's any cross-Atlantic complexities to translate. I mean, you guys do have caravans right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kin posted:

I just don't understand the need for a remake. Is the concept of a passably good British show so alien to American audiences that it has to be reshot with the same characters, but with an American accent?

It's not like there's any cross-Atlantic complexities to translate. I mean, you guys do have caravans right?

I was underwhelmed by the ending of Gracepoint, so even though this is the same show, I'm hoping they do something a little more interesting with it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Kin posted:

Well, the particulars of a British small town versus an American one are different, to a point. I think the main reason boils down to the fact that this way, Fox can sell the show wherever it wants rather than going through the BBC.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not so crazy for a pilot. The script slowly starts to diverge and there are some big changes by episode 7.

Regardless, the ratings were not good and if this wasn't a miniseries, it would be cancelled after 10 episodes anyway.

Harper's Island didn't get good ratings either did it? Why do people hate murder mysteries when they aren't cop serials?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kin posted:

American networks don't make money just airing British shows.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Should I watch Broadchurch first? Usually I like the British versions of shows better but I heard so-so things about Broadchurch.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Broadchurch was really great, but it definitely isn't very splashy. As long as you're willing to go along with the show doing things other than the main whodunit, like examining the effects of a crime on a small town, then you'll enjoy it a lot.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I have a question about haircuts i would like answered at some point

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kin posted:

Broadchurch WAS aired in the US on BBC America and was seen by nobody. Broadcast networks won't reair a British show directly, and yes, the average American viewer won't watch a British show.

And before you say it, very few people watch Downton Abbey in the US.

That said, very few people are watching Gracepoint. Yesterday's ratings fell from a 1.2 premiere to 0.9 which is even worse than Bad Judge's 1.3.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Broadchurch WAS aired in the US on BBC America and was seen by nobody. Broadcast networks won't reair a British show directly, and yes, the average American viewer won't watch a British show.

That said, very few people are watching Gracepoint. Yesterday's ratings fell from a 1.2 premiere to 0.9 which is even worse than Bad Judge's 1.3.

Why? It's not a terrible show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Josh Lyman posted:

In both of those cases, I think the low viewership had less to do with the shows being British and more to do with the networks they aired on.

I don't think Americans would object to watching a good British show. Major networks aren't going to rebroadcast British shows for a couple big reasons:
1. British shows are longer. Fox wants their shows in hour long blocks, and they aren't going to run a series with limited commercials.
2. They want to be in control of rebroadcast rights, because they make more money that way.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

3. Your average American has difficulty understanding British accents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is dreadful.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is so by the books and boring. It's every sleepy small town mystery cliche done in the least interesting way possible. Was Broadchurch actually good? Because I'm pretty close to giving up on this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gret posted:

3. Your average American has difficulty understanding British accents.

English is my second language and I have no trouble.
Americans have no excuse.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

English is my second language and I have no trouble.
Americans have no excuse.

Americans often can't understand other Americans from other regions, because the place is so large. The UK is an amalgamation of several different cultures and has much the same problem, particularly with Welsh accents being just different enough from everyone else's.

BBC America used to run pre-show "viewer discretion is advised" style bits before the start of a show actually giving you a heads up warning that you were about to hear British accents and might need to turn on closed captioning to understand anyone. It was tongue in cheek and there were several different speeches, but the larger point was that our ears CAN handle British accents, but we have to mentally throw away dialogue that is beyond our understanding, or worse, contains slang terms we heard right but have never known.

That isn't too say there isn't an audience for British accents, since some people watch Doctor Who and Downton Abbey here, and I guess Game Of Thrones has them too. But it's a niche thing, and the many people the large OTA networks want to appeal to have no interest in that experience.

Back in the late 80s or mid 90s when many people didn't have cable and the big three (and a half) controlled America's viewing habits, it probably would have been worth a try.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I saw the first episode and I just can't handle Tennant with an American accent.

It isn't bad, its just I'm so used to him as a person with a different accent- its hard to see through it. He does occasionally slip up, though, when raising his voice or speaking fast.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The fourth episode actually diverges noticeably from Broadchurch, and finally seeing something different drastically improves the quality of the episode - at least in comparison to the first three.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The fourth episode actually diverges noticeably from Broadchurch, and finally seeing something different drastically improves the quality of the episode - at least in comparison to the first three.

What was the divergence? It's been long enough since watching Broadchurch that I don't remember it too precisely.

Edit: Oh right, I forgot that the backpacker wasn't even a thing in Broadchurch. In that case the number of things they're changing is more and more encouraging.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 24, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In Broadchurch, the hiker was a postal employee, which quickly dead-ended. Also, I don't think that they went into as much detail about the drug purchase, and Danny didn't shoplift (or have a mysterious phone number on him). The priest wasn't a childhood friend/sweetheart of Beth's, and the apprentice plumber in Gracepoint also makes skateboards, which he didn't do in Broadchurch.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Creepy lady continues to be creepy. Obviously wont be her in this version either.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm confused. Everyone seems like such a red herring at this point.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Huh... that preview is a real change from Broadchurch.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm confused. Everyone seems like such a red herring at this point.

That sounds like Broadchurch in a nutshell

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Another episode written by photocopying a Broadchurch script.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The clues at this point seem to point at two really obvious characters: One is a blatantly crazy character who you have to be blind to miss, and the other is the SF reporter who debuted on the show far away in the big city.

The person in spoiler text doesn't really have any motive yet, but they are also doing everything they can to throw the focus of the investigation off track.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I think the show is better when it diverges from Broadchurch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zero One posted:

I think the show is better when it diverges from Broadchurch.

Absolutely it is. This episode was definitely different. I kept waiting for the anticlimax to happen to get back to the Broadchurch status quo, but the episode ended and it hadn't.

I wonder if it's only people who have seen Broadchurch feel this way, though. I mean Gracepoint is not exactly BAD when it's using photocopied scripts, it's just like watching a repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I haven't seen Broadchurch but Gracepoint is a case of weekly blue balls. Most of the season has felt like they were deliberately spinning their wheels to delay the plot rather than a coherent mystery. Like a meeting whose purpose is to schedule the next meeting. I still like it but every episode leaves me feeling like nothing happened.

• Locked thread