Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I can't really fault her for writing songs about relationships, a lot of my favorite singers (Kylie, Paloma Faith, Sam Smith) primarily have songs about love and dating and whatnot.

And if I was a good-looking A lister in my early 20s, hell yeah I'd be dating around as much as I could!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Eh, what else are you going to write about but love and (occasionally failed) relationships? The club? Your champagne? A feeling that you are going to die and people would only notice you after that?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Eh, what else are you going to write about but love and (occasionally failed) relationships? The club? Your champagne? A feeling that you are going to die and people would only notice you after that?

You just described Britney's magnum opus Blackout :unsmith:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Truly the defining album of our time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Taylor's "club music" would either be incredibly un-genuine, or be entirely about baking cookies and petting kittens. If I want awesome "I want to party, drink, and gently caress people" music, I'll listen to Ke$ha, because she's way better at that.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

I feel like Taylor's "club music" would either be incredibly un-genuine, or be entirely about baking cookies and petting kittens. If I want awesome "I want to party, drink, and gently caress people" music, I'll listen to Ke$ha, because she's way better at that.

What do you think '22' is about? I've seen several people note how similar it is to Ke$ha's stuff.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kurona_bright posted:

What do you think '22' is about? I've seen several people note how similar it is to Ke$ha's stuff.

I mean, it is, and I like the song well enough, but it's not what she does best.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

I mean, it is, and I like the song well enough, but it's not what she does best.

Fair enough. :)

'This Love' is really soothing to listen to. It makes me think of ocean waves.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

But but but . . . "22" is mostly about how she'd rather not be out clubbing because everybody there is too cool for her, and how she wants to "ditch the whole scene" and go eat breakfast with her girls instead. I'd say it's exactly the opposite of a Kesha song, really, in that Kesha songs are generally all about reveling in superficial excess, and "22" is about how uncomfortable Taylor is with that kind of excess and just wants to focus on emotions/connections with people instead.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why the hell was Shake It Off the lead single? gently caress Shake It Off. Style should've been.

I'm pretty sure they said that they picked "Shake It Off" for the lead single because it was the song that's further from what she's been doing, and they want to put an exclamation point on the idea that this was going to be an album with an entirely different sound. "Style" is awesome, but it doesn't sound quite so drastically different from the poppier stuff on "Red." (Also, it's so blatantly about Harry Styles, and Taylor's been given so much poo poo about "only writing about boys" and "kissing and telling" that I think she's getting a little self-conscious about putting that stuff out front and center. I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the promo singles are not about men, and the third is mostly about an incident that apparently was successfully kept secret from the tabloids.)

Anyway everybody's already talked a bunch about the new Taylor album, but I just want to mention how well she was able to capture the sound she was going for without going too far over the top. I was listening to the opening of "I Wish You Would" for the first time and just immediately thought "Fine Young Cannibals!" and then a few seconds later "And Taylor Dayne!"--haha. And there is so much else on the album that's so reminiscent of Annie Lennox, or Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation, etc. without being too derivative. I thought she balanced things nicely.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

1989 kind of reminds me of the most recent Carly Rae Jepsen album (which really deserved more love).

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Sprat Sandwich posted:

There are so many things in life worth talking about... I think people write love songs because love is such a strong emotion and because it's so common that people accept the idea that it's what you write songs about without thinking. I always like it when a song makes me think about something I've never thought about before.

But speaking of love songs, have you guys heard this absolutely gorgeous one by Noe Venable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-fLPIN-vLY

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Going back to 1989...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Tay-does-Katy Bad Blood
Funny you say that cos many speculate that Bad Blood is actually directed at Katy Perry, but who knows?

It's also my least favourite song off the album - I hit skip every time it starts to play. I should probably give it more of a chance, but eh.

I can't stop jamming to Blank Space and I Wish You Would, though I had Out of the Woods stuck in my head all of last night and into this morning. I played it first thing after waking up :dance:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I totally missed this song when it came out but it is GREAT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeuuAcY1tAw

This is also good in a Disclosure/Gorgon City way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NbhIKG3PQ

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I totally missed this song when it came out but it is GREAT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeuuAcY1tAw

Oh man that completely reminds me I haven't listened to the Ting Tings in so long!
That song is pretty chill.

Also, how the crap did I miss their album this year?!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The official version of that Chvrches song dropped, and it's ace: http://www.stereogum.com/1716502/chvrches-dead-air/mp3s/

I love them so much, their live show was so good when I saw them last week as well. ALL OF THE LASERS (and good songs!). Really want a proper version of Get Away to become available in the UK. I think they're gonna start work on a new album soon, and I can't wait.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is also good in a Disclosure/Gorgon City way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NbhIKG3PQ

I really like this, cheers. Some people here might appreciate the Kyla La Grange album that came out earlier this year. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here. The first track and the last track are clearly the best cuts from it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINpKSkZawk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLNbfUFu3EA

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

nomapple posted:

I really like this, cheers. Some people here might appreciate the Kyla La Grange album that came out earlier this year. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here. The first track and the last track are clearly the best cuts from it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINpKSkZawk

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLNbfUFu3EA

I really like Kyla La Grange, but yeah, that album was pretty lackluster except for a couple of songs. All in all, I still prefer her first album, especially songs like Walk Through Walls, Heavy Stone, the River and so on. It just had so much more going on.

If the whole album sounded like Cut Your Teeth I'd be all over it because that song and the Kygo remix of it has been stuck in my head for several months now, but the rest of the album just didn't live up to it at all.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Kyla La Grange is someone I wanted so badly to like, but I can't get into. Lorded started out that way until Pure Heroine finally clicked for me. I should give KLG's album another chance.

1989 didn't hold up on the second listen for me :( Style and Blank Slate are still good though.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdILZ_1P74 New Lorde music video. She's really rocking that La Roux style.

Wow, I really liked that music video.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 6, 2014

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like the song, but Lorde is so awkward. Whenever she tries to dance, I get second hand embarrassment. I like her music sometimes, I can even appreciate her "different look", but she is so bad at performing.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Her dancing's fine. I figure it goes along nicely with her music, so why not just let her dance like a loon? I think I'd be more surprised if she could dance like a normal person, whatever "normal person dancing" looks like.

That red suit is pretty badass tho.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

somnambulist posted:

I like the song, but Lorde is so awkward. Whenever she tries to dance, I get second hand embarrassment. I like her music sometimes, I can even appreciate her "different look", but she is so bad at performing.

Have you seen her live? She's an incredible performer

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Holy poo poo, Azealea Banks actually released Broke With Expensive Taste. (For context, the original release date was September 2012.)

Ice Princess is massive. Listen to it now, please.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Holy poo poo, Azealea Banks actually released Broke With Expensive Taste. (For context, the original release date was September 2012.)

Ice Princess is massive. Listen to it now, please.

It's amazing how much attention she got off of one (admittedly massive, loving dope) song and a string of lesser singles and broken promises. I'll listen to it, but I wrote her off a long time ago.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I've listened to the two-thirds and can confirm that it is full of music that is cool and good.

And 212 is still fun to sing along to even when the lyrics make me feel slightly embarrassed.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Erg posted:

I've listened to the two-thirds and can confirm that it is full of music that is cool and good.

And 212 is still fun to sing along to even when the lyrics make me feel slightly embarrassed.
From what I've heard I can confirm this too. It's not what I was expecting but in a good way. Ice Princess is really awesome though.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm liking it too, the song she samples for ice princess is called "in the air" by Morgan page, and I've liked that song for a long time so it was cool to hear it in a rap song.

She certainly exceeded my expectations, I think she's pretty talented. Now she needs to work on her ego......

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Azaelia Banks is the superior Azaelia

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
I just finished listening to it, and I'm surprised as to how much I enjoyed it. Ice Princess, Chasing Time and Wallace are all fantastic, and Nude Beach A Go-Go is hilarious.

I just wish she was able to release this back when she was still riding high off the hype from 212. I can't imagine it becoming commercially successful at this point, after all the delays and Twitter hoopla and ego tripping.

EDIT:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Azaelia Banks is the superior Azaelia

Also this, easily. If you'd told me in 2011 that of the two Rappers Named Azalea, it'd be IGGY that became internationally successful, I wouldn't have believed you.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Boob Dylan posted:

I just finished listening to it, and I'm surprised as to how much I enjoyed it. Ice Princess, Chasing Time and Wallace are all fantastic, and Nude Beach A Go-Go is hilarious.

I just wish she was able to release this back when she was still riding high off the hype from 212. I can't imagine it becoming commercially successful at this point, after all the delays and Twitter hoopla and ego tripping.

It was like #3 on iTunes when I bought it last night. My guess is it'll be a pretty steep dropoff but it'll do surprisingly well overall.

I'm gonna go rewatch the 1991 video.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
To be fair, IIRC, Azealia had to put up with a lot of label-related fuckery, which is why BWET took so darn long to come out. If she could have released BWET earlier, she would have - hence the short amount of time between leaving Interscope and releasing the album.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

ZakAce posted:

To be fair, IIRC, Azealia had to put up with a lot of label-related fuckery, which is why BWET took so darn long to come out. If she could have released BWET earlier, she would have - hence the short amount of time between leaving Interscope and releasing the album.

If I remember correctly, the label had to put up with a lot of Azealia-related fuckery. Seriously, she would collaborate with another artist or a producer and then slag them off on Twitter like five minutes later. I'm not surprised that it took ages until they had enough material and deals with all people involved in place.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

DominoDancing posted:

If I remember correctly, the label had to put up with a lot of Azealia-related fuckery. Seriously, she would collaborate with another artist or a producer and then slag them off on Twitter like five minutes later. I'm not surprised that it took ages until they had enough material and deals with all people involved in place.

Unfollowing her on Twitter was a wise decision.

She comes across pretty good on Snapchat though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyK6Hl3vY64

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
I didn't believe she'd ever release that loving album but here we go. And it's absolutely incredible. Seriously, go listen to it.
Now I want Azaelia to do a retro style album full of songs like Nude Beach a Go-Go. With some gorgeous music videos to match :swoon:
Also, apparently Chasing Time is going to be the new single. I'm pretty happy with this decision, since this is probably my favorite song from that album.
I just really hope it will be successful. It's amazing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New Taylor Swift video, and it's pretty dope.

The first half is your typical T-Swift video, and then it gets way better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Embed bro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ORhEE9VVg

Sounds like it could be a Pink or Lorde song.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where has this thread been my whole life? :allears:

Buffis posted:

A new japanese duo called FEMM has been pushing out new songs/videos for the last few months, and I think I really like this.
It's well produced pop music, that seems pretty marketed towards a western audience unlike most other asian music. Seems highly likely that the singers are actually from a non-asian country as well. The Lady Gaga influences are _very_ strong in some of the songs.

I'm pretty sure this is the only time I've seen a major (Avex studio produced) Japanese group launch with an website that supports English language, in addition to launching their music on iTunes outside of Japan at launch. They also apparently performed live in the US yesterday at some convention in Tulsa, so they seem to be marketing to a western audience.

Anyways:

Wannabe
Very Lady Gaga-esque pop. Really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwfNPtnPl4E
Back off the voice modulation a little and this could 100% be a Britney song.

quote:

Also, this:
Fxxk boyz get money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNtuAvGvRo8
This needs a Nikki Minaj cover.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's a real shame. His first two albums were actually pretty varied and not bad at all. It was only after 'We Found Love' blew up and everyone was asking for a 'the next We Found Love' his stuff fell into a rut.
I prefer "I Need Your Love" if only because it gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St1ZDTiPdu4

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
That Taylor Swift song sounds like a thrown away ASAP Rocky beat. Kinda cool though

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
There are horses in the bedroom. :stare:

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 11, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yoshifan823 posted:

That does own. She gives a good performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
SNL did a pretty good skit about Taylor Swift's new album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhAz7JU0dg

I really like how Blank Stare is about how she's a disaster of a girlfriend, which is a funny revision of her previous reputation for making songs about how she's always having her heart broken.