Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

TVarmy posted:

the best part is how

always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:bsdsnype:

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Mr. Shitsnipe

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol "this guy I worked with was pretty bad at his job but now is tooling around in a tesla, nothing amiss there"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol "this guy I worked with was pretty bad at his job but now is tooling around in a tesla, nothing amiss there"

if you see something, say something

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

always be snitching

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Magrov posted:

http://ia902308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.137.0.pdf

Sonny Vleisides asking the court permission to sell stuff to buy food or something. also, somehow he spent $1,900 in the last month. i have no idea about the cost of living in america, but isn't this sum a bit excessive?

do people not pay rent or eat where you live?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

always be :bsdsnype:ing

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Magrov posted:

let's check his posting history:

yup, totally bullshit. he'd have disarmed the kids and killed them with their machete

hahaha, it's real life dwight schrute

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Magrov posted:

also, somehow he spent $1,900 in the last month. i have no idea about the cost of living in america, but isn't this sum a bit excessive?

greetings, from the first world

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Magrov posted:

http://ia902308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.137.0.pdf

Sonny Vleisides asking the court permission to sell stuff to buy food or something. also, somehow he spent $1,900 in the last month. i have no idea about the cost of living in america, but isn't this sum a bit excessive?

i mean i spent less than that while i was a grad student but i had things like roommates and ate a lot of pasta

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm writing a persuasive speech on Bitcoin, and I'd like to run some ideas past the community. (self.Bitcoin)

quote:

Hello /r/Bitcoin! I'm working on a persuasive speech for my Intro Speech class, and thought Bitcoin would be a good topic. My main goal is to spread the use of Bitcoin to my peers. We are using Monroe's Motivated Sequence. This is and intro class, and is only about 6 minutes long, so I don't need to get crazy technical. I want to run some ideas by the community to make sure I'm spreading adoption in the right way, and have all my facts straight; some ideas wouldn't hurt either ;) Here are my ideas currently:

For attention, I'm going to give a couple example stories of how Bitcoin could benefit someone. I'm aiming for common nuances that affect everyday people, as most college kids in the US don't have major issues with their bank. Here are a couple I thought of:

You're driving down the highway far away from home, and run out of gas. So you go to the gas station, and put in your card, but it keeps getting rejected. You're stranded away from home, with no access to your money.

A store you frequent recently had customer credit card information stolen. The number of affected people is in the 10,000's, and there are more reports every day. You look in your bank account, and notice fraudulent charges.

You're out to eat with some friends, and decided to split the bill. When the bill comes, you check your wallet, and realize you have no cash. There's no ATM around, and you need to get your friend money to pay for food.

I might also try and get some statistics, but I'm not sure exactly what would hit home to this audience.

I'm a little stuck right now on relating this to the needs of the audience (age 18-25 college students). My audience analysis showed not many have experience identity theft, or frozen bank funds, so I'll need to be creative here. Maybe preventative measures. There is a musician (edm type stuff posted to soundcloud) in the class, and a farmer with his own hay business, so I might target them a little more than others.

Satisfaction - well the solution will obviously be Bitcoin. Taking the trust out of money transactions. With bitcoin, you are the sole owner of your money. You can send money anywhere, to anyone, any time of the day, and it costs almost nothing.

Visualization will be a world without banks. Everyone is free to spend their money how they want, when they want. No more waiting for Monday morning for bank transfers, no more frozen funds. Free and open commerce for everyone. Opposite to that, without bitcoin, all of our money is regulated, and stuck in the bank. There's centralization, so the banks control your money; you can only hope they will hold up their end and funds will be in your account tomorrow.

We need to use a visual aid, and have an action step with concrete steps someone can take to help. I plan on using the blockchain as a visual aid, and showing incoming transactions, as well as transferring money to an address to show how fast transactions work.
For the action step, I plan on printing enough paper wallets for everyone. I'll use a sealed envelope, print the public address on the outside, and have the private key on the inside (along with steps on how to collect the funds, and how to make a new wallet as they can't verify it's the only copy of the private address). Then anyone that wants to participate, I'll transfer 1000 bits or so (enough money for them to get the hang of sending/receiving) into the wallet and give it to them, and show the transaction on the blockchain. I doubt many people will take them, but I'm hoping for one or two.

Any help is appreciated. I know asking for help on this stuff might be looked down upon, but I want to make sure I'm giving good information, and helping to spread adoption in the right way. Students and younger people are great to appeal to IMO.

You're driving in the middle of nowhere, run out of gas, have no cash, your cards get rejected, a Colombian kid mugs you, there is no ATM but, luckily the gas station takes bitcoin!

quote:

A better example: Imagine you are traveling abroad and all your money is stolen. You call mum at home to send you more. She sends 500$. You are picking it up at Western union and receive 480$. If she would send you bitcoin, you get 499.90$.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

trucutru posted:

I'm writing a persuasive speech on Bitcoin, and I'd like to run some ideas past the community. (self.Bitcoin)

You're driving in the middle of nowhere, run out of gas, have no cash, your cards get rejected, a Colombian kid mugs you, there is no ATM but, luckily the gas station takes bitcoin!

they were so close to realizing that nobody needs bitcoin.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
i think it's rad that canada actually gives a poo poo who is allowed to call themselves an engineer

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Nah, they just wanted to think of themselves like the maesters in game of thrones.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Mightaswell posted:

i think it's rad that canada actually gives a poo poo who is allowed to call themselves an engineer

but then we let chiropractors call themselves doctors for some reason

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

is it rude to keep u/changetip'ing people 1BTC when i've never owned a bitcoin in my life?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fuctifino posted:

is it rude to keep u/changetip'ing people 1BTC when i've never owned a bitcoin in my life?

no it is wonderful

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TVarmy posted:

the best part is how he's saying, "bitcoin is great because I dumped the coins to another address before the hoodlums got them."

that's pretty much beneath the bare minimum security for a non physical payment method. yeah, cash would be gone forever, which is why you don't carry tons of cash for no reason. a credit or debit card would be so better than bitcoin because even if the muggers tried to buy things, there'd be chargebacks and the ability to deactivate the card right away.

also credit card security means there's at least a chance that they'll be able to catch the criminals once they try and use the card but "anonymous" bitcoins... not so much

also his whole story is dependent on almost all of his possessions being returned to him

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
I thought bitcoins made theft impossible?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mightaswell posted:

paging hovercraft, mr h p hovercraft

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

im doing a writeup on blake and just found this

silk road admin said the site was comprised 8 days before blake took control

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fuctifino posted:

lol

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

FCKGW posted:

do people not pay rent or eat where you live?

they do, and 1,900 is a lot for a single guy living with in his mom's basement. i just forgot he had a wife and a kid.

sorry yospos, for i have sinned.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
it's also pretty funny to think of these south american muggers rushing to a computer so they can steal these butts ASAP

also if they were actually interested in the butts, he'd have long since lost them by the time he got back

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

fuctifino posted:

i demand automation

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

fuctifino posted:

DNova posted:

no it is wonderful

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

hosed if i know.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thesoro posted:

Reclaimed-From-The-Sealand

oh come on surely it is "freemen on the sealand"

makes the whole naval gold fringe shtick a bit more sensible

edit: http 403 berth certificate required

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 7, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

quick writeup on blake

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/blake-benthall-and-the-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
tell me you named that article after the book and not the movie

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

is only about 6 minutes long, so I don't need to get crazy technical.[...] transferring money to an address to show how fast transactions work. 

quote:

only about 6 minutes long

i see a problem here

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thesoro posted:

it's also pretty funny to think of these south american muggers rushing to a computer so they can steal these butts ASAP

also if they were actually interested in the butts, he'd have long since lost them by the time he got back

I was traveling through south america as I often do as a sex crime tourist when I was accosted by a gang! They had machetes and tribal tattoos and were doing capoeira menacingly to the beat of the day-o song that a mariachi band was playing. "Esse," they called out to me, "esse give me your paper wallets." They took out a probably stolen android and took pictures of all my paper wallets. "Thanks for the bits esse," he laughed before delivering a kick to my stomach (I went foetal and covered my head as soon as I saw the swarthy others approaching as my krav maga training took over) "haha no chargebacks, esse" they continued to taunt me as my now empty paper wallets rained down on my weeping form and I barely escaped alive. I am accepting tips as charity for this obviously true and terrifying story.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Are bitcoins under $300 yet? Can my laughs continue? Thank

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

I was traveling through south america as I often do as a sex crime tourist when I was accosted by a gang! They had machetes and tribal tattoos and were doing capoeira menacingly to the beat of the day-o song that a mariachi band was playing. "Esse," they called out to me, "esse give me your paper wallets." They took out a probably stolen android and took pictures of all my paper wallets. "Thanks for the bits esse," he laughed before delivering a kick to my stomach (I went foetal and covered my head as soon as I saw the swarthy others approaching as my krav maga training took over) "haha no chargebacks, esse" they continued to taunt me as my now empty paper wallets rained down on my weeping form and I barely escaped alive. I am accepting tips as charity for this obviously true and terrifying story.

Don't worry, fuctifino is giving out 1 BTC tips

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
barnacle blake has a long forehead

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

killhamster posted:

Good thing that forehead is circumcised

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nice write up I liked the bit about how the previous admins realized something was up and bugged out but Blake stayed the course because reasons

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

hail cat satan

killhamster posted:

did he buy his interocitor with bitcoins too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

BeOSPOS posted:

did he buy his interocitor with bitcoins too?

emptyquotin' this MST3K/This Island Earth reference

• Locked thread