Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Are they the type of studs you can just hammer out? If so I'd just replace them and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

netwerk23 posted:

Are they the type of studs you can just hammer out? If so I'd just replace them and move on.

Yep, sure is. Would be easy if I wasn't 3000 miles away on business.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I guess the most you can do is warn others away via Yelp or Google reviews. I found my current dealership via Yelp, and the one I had been dealing with was 1.5 stars with like 300 reviews.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Das Volk posted:

I guess the most you can do is warn others away via Yelp or Google reviews. I found my current dealership via Yelp, and the one I had been dealing with was 1.5 stars with like 300 reviews.

Most dealerships do pay attention to their reviews on Google, Yelp, Dealerrater, facebooks, etc. It's hard to ignore them when our vendors are constantly pushing their own personal rating sites on us. At the dealerships I've worked at, they do try to resolve issues with people who leave lovely reviews.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Most dealerships do pay attention to their reviews on Google, Yelp, Dealerrater, facebooks, etc. It's hard to ignore them when our vendors are constantly pushing their own personal rating sites on us. At the dealerships I've worked at, they do try to resolve issues with people who leave lovely reviews.

Yep, the only reason I just got a callback from the owner was because of a scathing facebook review.

The guy had the audacity to ask the gf to drive the car back in its current condition. No.
And then said they'll replace the 2 broken studs. No. All 5, buddy. He didn't understand why.

:wtf: really? You're arguing with me over $3 in parts. :wtf:

UPDATE

A month later, I replaced the front brakes on the car. Did he replace all 5 studs? Nope. Just lied lied lied that he would, and replaced 2.

They will do anything to save $3. Anything.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 7, 2015

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress, I'd be pushing for all 20. If they monkeyfucked those studs, what makes you think that the others didn't get the same treatment...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I recently got a Fiesta ST and the dealer I got from gives free oil changes whenever you want - awesome right? So I bring it in for it's first change, drive it home and theres a POOL of oil in my garage when I pulled out. I threw it up on ramps the oil filter was completely loose and on the last thread or two, It's frankly amazing it didn't fall off completely and lead to some catastrophic oil spill and engine failure.

I've had a nice snap on torx driver left in my 330Ci from a pretty reputable BMW dealer, which was actually pretty sweet because it's used to take off just about every interior screw.

My favorite ever was a funny story where I brought my old Focus in for a screeching noise and when I got it back I notice they tore my CV boot fixing a wheel bearing, which sprayed grease all over my front brake which was super scary, and at the same time I noticed my car was SUPER loud, so I pulled over, popped the hood to discover my entire airbox was missing and there was a giant crowbar just chilling on top of the engine. I went back and demanded they give me back my airbox and refund me all labor charges and I'll walk away. I can't even believe how big of a fight he put up, but thankfully resigned to my extremely fair offer of still paying for parts.

Never again…

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like what happened to my brother a couple of months ago.

He had his Accord in getting a new radiator. A week later, his car starts surging forward suddenly and dangerously as if it had a mind of its own.

I met him in a Lowe's parking lot and found that 1) his airbox cover was completely loose, and 2) his old radiator cap was lodged in his throttle body.

They'd apparently had the airbox off, and while putting everything back together put the old radiator cap on top of his filter and then forgot all about it as they half-assedly buttoned everything back up.

I'm honestly surprised it didn't cause an accident.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat dude!

Also reminds me of when I got my coolant flushed on the BMW at a different dealer when I had it in for a lock cylinder replacement - I took it on a trip the next day and the expansion tank and it's hard brittle plastic hose counterpart exploded all over the highway in the dead of winter. Luckily they paid for a tow and fixed it for free - honestly not sure if it was even their fault because the car cracked 2 more expansion tanks later in it's life…

Oh bmw…

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My fun story: My dad took in his 2010 VW TDI in to have the timing belt done at 100k.

He gets home and says he hears something funny, I take a look and they'd forgotten to tighten down the tensioner, he was lucky it didn't jump time on the highway, and I re-tightened it and checked the timing again and he was still spot on.

He still uses them :smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
edit: I guess this isn't strictly about a dealer but still a shop fuckup.

My first car, before I had the tools or skills to work on my own poo poo, I brought to the local garage for some tie-rods before embarking on a long trip. A day later, in the middle of rush-hour traffic on the D.C. Beltway, my car suddenly darts to the left. I jerk the wheel right and it straightens out but now I'm holding the wheel 30* off center just to go straight. jerk it a little harder to the right and everything goes back to center for a few more minutes before doing the same thing again. Since I was young and kinda stupid I elected not to pull over and continued to my destination. Sure enough they hadn't put the cotter-pins in (on either side!) and one of the nuts had backed off, leaving me with 1 wheel steering.

I raised hell when I got back but only ever got a weak apology and a partial refund on the labor. Never let them touch my poo poo again, not even for inspections.

Now I only take my cars to a shop if it's an emergency and I can't do it myself.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

ThinkFear posted:

gently caress, I'd be pushing for all 20. If they monkeyfucked those studs, what makes you think that the others didn't get the same treatment...

It really doesn't matter to be honest. I don't trust their workmanship one bit. I'll replace all 20. It's worth the $20 and the afternoon of work.

Never again.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

leica posted:

Dealership techs don't make a very good living because of warranty work and flat rate in general, I was effectively talked out of getting an ASE cert by a bunch of mechanics on a forum call FlatRateTech. Not one guy in the entire forum encouraged me to get into the industry so I took it as a sign and forgot about it. I did eventually end up working for a dealership in the parts department and saw everything they talked about first hand. Service writers are scum of the earth, and 3/4 of techs don't know what the gently caress they're doing to begin with.

NEVER take your car to a dealer.

Are automotive mechanics certified in the US like other trades ie apprenticeship then journeyman, trade certifications and licensing? Is flat rate the norm? I'm curious because I don't hear the about the same issues people talk about on flat rate tech here in Canada.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 7, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Are automotive mechanics certified in the US like other trades ie apprenticeship then journeyman, trade certification? Is flat rate the norm? I'm curious because I don't hear about the issues people talk about on flat rate tech here in Canada.

There's this: https://www.ase.com/Home.aspx

But it's not exactly mandatory.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

n0tqu1tesane posted:

There's this: https://www.ase.com/Home.aspx

But it's not exactly mandatory.

It also is not a guarantee. Plenty of moronic or lazy ASE holders.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

ASE for Mechanics is akin to A+ for computer nerds. You are either a tool, or older than the tool. Neither means you are good (or capable).

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Wait, so an electrician or a plumber has to be licensed but not a mechanic?

Here you need to do a 4 year apprenticeship with mandatory classroom time and tests and then you write your provincial certification exam. After logging a certain number of hours you can write another exam and get your Red Seal certificate, which is nationally recognized. It's the same as all the other skilled trades here.

Maybe TWSS can chime in as he's doing his apprenticeship.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ASE cert really doesn't mean poo poo but you still need one to get a job usually.

Back in the day when I had a bitchin' Corolla I took it to a shop to have some TRD springs installed. The idiots ordered the wrong springs but still tried to charge me for labor after they took all the struts out and had to put them back in when they realized they hosed up. First time I ever told a shop manager to go gently caress himself.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Pretty much the same for a computer janitor. Some are good, some are poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Viggen posted:

ASE for Mechanics is akin to A+ for computer nerds. You are either a tool, or older than the tool. Neither means you are good (or capable).

What about MCSEs?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

What about MCSEs?

Bachelors in a Can

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I have a friend that spent $$$ Going through UTI and got his ASE certs. He won't touch a trans and is deathly scared of doing headgaskets.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
When I got my Jetta TDI, the salesman couldn't find the 2nd key so he just ordered one. A week later it comes in and he finds the old one, so he says just come by anytime and we can program the car to use all 3 keys. On a Friday I brought it in, waited an hour, and they tell me its ready to go. I sat in the car and the dash just says 'Key not detected' and won't start :rolleyes: I take a loaner for the weekend.

On Monday I get a call saying they fixed the glitch, so I head in again. Surprise, the 2 new keys work but the original one doesn't, and I only find out by dumb luck. Once again they get their 'best tech' on it, but this time I stayed in the garage to watch him since it was after hours anyway. The service writer is getting me the keys to the loaner again while the tech is explaining how difficult the proximity keys are to program. He then proceeds to actually read the tech bulletin and follow the steps in order and hey what do you know, all 3 keys work.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I have a friend that spent $$$ Going through UTI and got his ASE certs. He won't touch a trans and is deathly scared of doing headgaskets.

This is how conditioning works. I would be scared of them too if I studied them with a urinary tract infection.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Horse Divorce posted:

This is how conditioning works. I would be scared of them too if I studied them with a urinary tract infection.

http://www.uti.edu/

the both hurt about the same. :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
To offer a counterpoint, if you find a decent dealer cling to them like death. I have a Ford dealer about 20 minutes north of me that I will trust implicitly with any repairs I'm not capable of doing myself. Years ago my Focus wouldn't start, and when I got out of the car there was gas pouring off the top of the tank. Towed it in that morning, by 4 that afternoon they had not only replaced the fuel pump but the service manager was able to cover it under a TSB that included covering parts & labor under an extended warranty even though my car technically wasn't exhibiting the symptoms described in the TSB. A few years later they fixed a problem with one of my company cars that had been in and out of three other dealers without resolution because apparently they didn't want to tie up a lift to pull the transmission and replace clutch packs under a recall (it was a 2010 Fusion with the joint Ford/GM six speed.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Viggen posted:

There's a supposed ASE master tech or whatever on wranglerforum who posts truly laughable poo poo. Bad advice, blatantly wrong info. The latest stupidity had to do with how closed-deck blocks are the only type suitable for forced induction and something about a siamesed design but it didn't make any sense at all so I don't think he actually knew what it meant at all.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
They're called "stealerships" for a darn good reason. And what's worse is that the dealership employees who aren't completely incompetent don't tend to stay there for very long. They just up and leave for better garages (or open up their own) once they've learned about the vehicles they hope to specialize in.

Bajaha posted:

Good luck, and prepare for a long fight.
This is pretty much what you're in for. I took my car to a local garage to have my winter wheels put on (before I learned how to do it myself). Someone at the shop wanted to play make-believe NASCAR Pit Crew and took an impact gun to my lug nuts without hand-threading them, first. Cross-threaded 3 of my lug nuts, which snapped three lug studs. I called them, and they flat-out denied having anything to do with it. They even fed me the bullshit claim that it's "impossible to cross-thread lug nuts". I fought and fought for months to get compensated for the repair, but unfortunately for me it was a losing battle. The only thing that I could do was leave them as many bad reviews as possible.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 8, 2014

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Here you need to do a 4 year apprenticeship with mandatory classroom time and tests and then you write your provincial certification exam. After logging a certain number of hours you can write another exam and get your Red Seal certificate, which is nationally recognized. It's the same as all the other skilled trades here.

Maybe TWSS can chime in as he's doing his apprenticeship.

The 4 year apprenticeship can be reduced to a year if you do a modified apprenticeship program through a manufacturer's program, such as Ford Asset. They're no joke though, I've been through Asset and it's not easy. As far as I can tell once you get your C of Q (in Ontario anyways) you're already Red Seal, could be wrong though I've never bothered to check.

Not all of us dealer techs are bad people, unfortunately there are many, many bad apples. You don't necessarily have to write off a dealership because of one bad experience though, like others have said, ask to meet the tech who did your work, if he did a good job ask for him (or her) again next time. If the guy was a screw-up ask for a new tech, the tech number should be on the RO.

Oh and those recommended services are always pushed by dealers who are being paid per service by BG or some other no name fluid company. They pay ok but every tech I know hates them and the smug bastards who sell them with a passion. Follow the manufacturer's intervals and you're golden. Just make sure you change that oil on time, always on time. Seen more than a few bounced claims because of lack of maintenance.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Some friends went to the Dodge dealership in Fairbanks to get a recall taken care of before they PCS'd to Wyoming. The dealer dropped their Jeep off a lift and had the gall to try to claim it looked like that when they brought it in.

They managed to scream enough to enough people (remember that base commanding officers can order their personnel to not use certain businesses) that the work was fixed before they left, but they ended up driving the AlCan with paint not yet fully cured.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I work at a Volvo truck dealership and I see these sorts of things on a daily basis.
Yesterday I spent 5 hours on the phone with a guy from technical trying to unfuck a truck after someone had botched a software update by not reading the TSB properly.

Another truck came back with a rattling noise from the top end after we had serviced it and carried out a valve adjustment. Turns out the guy didn't do up a shim bolt so that had promptly ejected itself and the rocker arm was just smacking against the exhaust valve calliper with an extra 4mm clearance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A buddy of mine was a Ford tech and I used to stop by the shop and just hang out with him and work on my cars if he wasn't busy. One day I go in after we had a torrential downpour and there were a bunch of cars in that had stalled out in deep water, he had brand new a ZX2 (this was in the 90's), pulled the plugs out and turned the motor spraying water everywhere. Put new plugs in it, changed the oil and it fired right up. He was super psyched he got it to run because apparently it doesn't happen much.

Just as we were high fiving each other, the service writer comes over and says "What the gently caress are you doing, that was an insurance job and we were going to make *insert $$ amount* off of replacing the motor! That motor needs to stop running!" My buddy says what the gently caress, do you want me to grenade it? and he says "I don't care what you do, just make sure it's not running" and walked away. So my buddy takes the plugs back out, fills the cylinders with water and cranks the motor until it hydro locks. Motor not running!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

melon cat posted:

The only thing that I could do was leave them as many bad reviews as possible.

or take them to small claims court.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

A buddy of mine was a Ford tech and I used to stop by the shop and just hang out with him and work on my cars if he wasn't busy. One day I go in after we had a torrential downpour and there were a bunch of cars in that had stalled out in deep water, he had brand new a ZX2 (this was in the 90's), pulled the plugs out and turned the motor spraying water everywhere. Put new plugs in it, changed the oil and it fired right up. He was super psyched he got it to run because apparently it doesn't happen much.

Just as we were high fiving each other, the service writer comes over and says "What the gently caress are you doing, that was an insurance job and we were going to make *insert $$ amount* off of replacing the motor! That motor needs to stop running!" My buddy says what the gently caress, do you want me to grenade it? and he says "I don't care what you do, just make sure it's not running" and walked away. So my buddy takes the plugs back out, fills the cylinders with water and cranks the motor until it hydro locks. Motor not running!

To be fair, a motor that's been hydrolocked once is usually a ticking time bomb anyways and he did both the customer and the insurance company a favor. I've seen motors that tossed a rod sever a fuel line and go from "needs new engine" to "fire damage total loss" in 15 minutes. Even if it doesn't, they don't need to pay for a tow from BFE Nowhere when it tosses a rod in a few months.

Still kinda scummy.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I just went through a fun dealership experience myself. I brought my new car I just purchased back to the dealer for its inspection sticker and to get myford touch reflashed.

As the tech was coming out, I watched and heard him curb my car from across the lot. Long story short, the service writer tried to blame me for it saying it must have come in that way, even after telling him I watched his tech hit the curb.

The balls on that one. The serious, massive balls.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Service writers are so used to lying it's like second nature to them. Doesn't surprise me at all.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

leica posted:

Service writers are so used to lying it's like second nature to them. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Deny til you die. Buncha cunts if you ask me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

10 years ago while I was going to school in Kalamazoo Michigan, I had a heater hose blow in the dead of winter during a huge fuckoff snow storm. Not having any tools or knowing of a decent shop to take my car, I ended up having the hoses replaced at the local Ford dealer.

They fixed the heater lines, but it wasn't until a few weeks later I noticed the dipstick for the ATX was MIA. Some guy probably noticed it laying on a toolbox after I picked it up and chucked it in the garbage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blaise posted:

And of course the guy who gave her the work order insisted that she have the timing belt done today because it was in bad shape. He kept telling her over and over, he was really concerned about it.

The car has 55k miles. Hyundai recommends the service done at 90k. And you don't inspect the timing belt while replacing a transmission.

Toyota of Plano insisted mom get her timing belt done around 60k or 70k. Toyota recommends 110k. They also talked her into new spark plugs, and a new state inspection, even though she had 6 months left on it. I agree the plugs should be done at the same time, if nothing else, because the rear bank is impossible to get to without removing the upper intake manifold, but they're iridium plugs rated for 110k.

Got it back with a squealing serpentine belt. She'd been charged for a new belt and tensioner; it had the original belt, and the tensioner was broken, plus pissing oil from both valve covers. Took it back.

Got it back pissing oil from both valve covers again, and the original belt (but a new tensioner). They said they never touched the valve covers (then how the gently caress did you do the timing belt?!) and wanted something like $500 to replace the gaskets, and wouldn't budge. Finally took it to an indie shop.

Turns out they did replace the timing belt, but reused the original valve cover gaskets, and never changed the spark plugs (but sure as hell charged her a couple of hundred for them). And it went back to the indie shop for the valve covers leaking. :sigh: Indie shop fixed it with no hassle though.

Now it's pissing oil from everywhere except the valve covers. Never change, Toyota.

kastein posted:

To be fair, a motor that's been hydrolocked once is usually a ticking time bomb anyways and he did both the customer and the insurance company a favor. I've seen motors that tossed a rod sever a fuel line and go from "needs new engine" to "fire damage total loss" in 15 minutes. Even if it doesn't, they don't need to pay for a tow from BFE Nowhere when it tosses a rod in a few months.

I managed to hydrolock an engine, and got it running by just hitting the starter several times until it finally turned over. Shot a bunch of steam out of the exhaust when it finally started (I was young and dumb).

It never did run quite the same after that (definitely down on power, MPG tanked as well, but no odd noises), and it did eventually toss a rod about 2 weeks later... when I hydrolocked it again. :doh: (cold air intake + no fender liner = tire hoses down the filter in anything more than a slight puddle).

I got hosed over hard on the replacement engine, probably because insurance paid for it. It smoked like it had a smoke tune anytime I let off the gas, and drank oil like it was gas. When that engine wound up seizing (lack of oil, oops), friend tore it down and found out both the head and block were warped, head gasket was blown, and 2 rods were bent, in addition to several burnt valves. I'd never run it hot, and I'm amazed it never tossed a rod (since I beat the poo poo out of it every time I drove it). Nothing was usable from it except for the intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, and throttle body. Independent shop that I never went back to for obvious reasons.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm actually still banned from the closest chevy dealership after my truck was in an accident and the insurance company insisted I use them. I went back up half a dozen times to argue with the manager in person who claimed that supergluing my right turn signal/parking light housing in since the frame it mounted into was shattered was a perfectly legit fix and my insurance company agreed to this (they didn't) and that the wiring harness for the hitch I had installed worked fine (it didn't). On the 3rd trip there, I brought a trailer and another vehicle and made him stand there while we hooked the trailer up to each truck so he would be forced to agree. He said it must be the adapter instead. The next two times he forced me to wait 2 hours each time while he browsed facebook to see if I would get fed up and leave (I didn't). The last time I was there it devolved into a screaming match where he stormed off to have the owner of the dealership call the cops on me. Oddly the owner decided that having a customer getting into screaming matches with the manager of their shop where it was very audible to everyone on the lot was bad for business. He had a guy from another one of his dealerships come in to take a look at my truck and figure out how much was their fault. He decided to take a look at the hitch first and figured out that the shithead who installed it hadn't bothered to clean the completely corroded connections on the plug and fixed it in about 15 minutes. The other problems would have taken much more time to fix and required handing my vehicle back to the morons that mangled it the first time, so I decided to take my small victory and leave with a warning from the owner that next time I set foot on the property, I would be arrested for trespassing.

The issue with the headlights was actually fixed a few years later after a second accident when during the inspection to see what was all wrong with it, this story came up and the owner of the shop and the insurance writer agreed to report it as damage caused in the accident even though it was obviously not. I've sent every bit of buisiness I can to them for that little act of kindness. And the fact that they do excellent work.

Edit: I suppose what I saying is get into a screaming match with them over it in the parking lot and don't stop harassing them until they threaten to call the police.

• Locked thread