Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

vanilla slimfast posted:

emptyquotin' this MST3K/This Island Earth reference

emptyquotin this emptyquote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like that they added an extra joint to his pinky too.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

trucutru posted:

quote:

A better example: Imagine you are traveling abroad and all your money is stolen. You call mum at home to send you more. She sends 500$. You are picking it up at Western union and receive 480$. If she would send you bitcoin, you get 499.90$.

The exchange rate only changed by 0.02% between when your mum sent the money and you got it? Very misleading!

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013
I suppose this Silk Road 2 & co thing is only the tip of the comedy iceberg. With buttcoiners and their attitude they ought to get even more into that deep web biz, and with the Tor & Bitcoin don't work well together happenstance we'll have soon more than just the very stupidest of the buttcoin siteops loving up.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

ElectricMucus posted:

I suppose this Silk Road 2 & co thing is only the tip of the comedy iceberg. With buttcoiners and their attitude they ought to get even more into that deep web biz, and with the Tor & Bitcoin don't work well together happenstance we'll have soon more than just the very stupidest of the buttcoin siteops loving up.
what

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013
Bitcoin over Tor isn't a good idea [arxiv.org]

quote:

In this paper we show that combining Tor and Bitcoin creates an attack vector for the deterministic and stealthy man-in-the-middle attacks.

I think Buttcoiners will see the bust as an encouragement to build things that are vulnerable to this.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

well obviously this is something wrong with tor, and the solution is to replace tor with a blockchain

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dren posted:

Nice write up I liked the bit about how the previous admins realized something was up and bugged out but Blake stayed the course because reasons

there's a link to a site in the article that just reports on what's happening on the deep web. they wrote a very compelling article last year about how they suspect Blake was actually DPR2 and shed the persona once the admins got popped to distance himself.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

the onionchain

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Number19 posted:

the onionchain

so many layers and so much nothing in the middle

also it makes me weep

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

so I tied an onion to my chain, which was the style at the time

"gimme five satoshis for a quarter," you'd say

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

i wonder if we'll find out how they found the servers later. speculation on twitter seems to say it's likely all the marketplace servers were colocated with one company, which would be hilarious from the whole "cryptography enables us to decentralize everything" standpoint. a big problem with tor strikes me as unlikely since tor isn't just used by drug marketplaces but also groups the feds and military want protected by the network.

wasn't /r/bitcoin going nuts saying that OpenBazaar would replace all marketplaces, not just illegal ones but also craigslist and ebay? and then it was barely used, probably because getting an account required tipping the void (a blackhole address) a good amount of bitcoins. and one of the few things listed on it was some videos of an inflation fetishist putting balloons in her sweater?

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013
this is just in:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

ElectricMucus posted:

this is just in:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
should have let the free market decide imo

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Weatherman posted:

oh come on surely it is "freemen on the sealand"

makes the whole naval gold fringe shtick a bit more sensible

edit: http 403 berth certificate required
it's in the netherlands, aka the lowest country on earth, which has largely been reclaimed from the sea

that is the joke

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ElectricMucus posted:

this is just in:

Does he not have a lawyer? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thesoro posted:

it's in the netherlands, aka the lowest country on earth, which has largely been reclaimed from the sea

that is the joke

yeah nah i got that

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Weatherman posted:

yeah nah i got that

freemen-on-the-reclaimed-from-the-sealand

lengthiness is the soul of wit

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

someone just tipped me $25 on reddit, what should i do with this

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
buy drugs

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
burn it, show proof of burn to tipper

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Thesoro posted:

freemen-on-the-reclaimed-from-the-sealand

lengthiness is the soul of wit

which is why the blockchain is so goddamned funny

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
burn it in :420: form

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

burning the coins only helps the hodlers because less coins
Hodling makes you one of them
Doing anything else means poop touching

Ignore the tip I guess?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

you are required by the consitution to report it on your taxes and to tell the tipee if your a cop

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Tip them $26, saying you're refunding their money. A couple of minutes later 'Whoops, sent to much, can I have my $1 back?' Spend the next week following them around accusing them of theft until you get $1 back or it stops being funny. Ideally do this without ever claiming your bitcoin.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
if you think about it all the insecure dark markets got shut down this week so any that remain must therefore be 100% safe

now is the best time to buy low & get high

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

if you think about it all the insecure dark markets got shut down this week so any that remain must therefore be 100% safe

now is the best time to buy low & get high

the fbi must find these markets hilarious. it's like super easy mode investigating

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FCKGW posted:

1HasanyoneSaidbUttcoinyet

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Boxturret posted:

1HasanyoneSaidbUttcoinyet

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

instead of burning it, send a 1 satoshi transaction to a blackhole, and leave the rest as a miners' fee.

congratulations, you've just gotten a bunch of people to cash out your tip and hurt the market, and also done your part to raise the expected fee on each bitcoin transaction.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

FCKGW posted:

pay the fee to cash out and have 0 dollars left over

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
poison the well with 1 satoshi tips everywhere, to everyone, until you/the bot are banned from as many reddits as possible

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

poison the well with 1 satoshi tips everywhere, to everyone, until you/the bot are banned from as many reddits as possible

do this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

This is really the only sensible option.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Robawesome, how is not buying any Bitcoin going? Still not losing money?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dren posted:

burning the coins only helps the hodlers because less coins
Hodling makes you one of them
Doing anything else means poop touching

Ignore the tip I guess?

ah but if i ignore the tip it gets refunded back to the sender so that's no good

someone suggested sending it to the mt gox address

edit: I told the guy I would send it to the Bitcoin eater address and he sent me another $5

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 8, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FCKGW posted:

ah but if i ignore the tip it gets refunded back to the sender so that's no good

someone suggested sending it to the mt gox address

edit: I told the guy I would send it to the Bitcoin eater address and he sent me another $5

tip completely inappropriate posts everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Improbable Lobster posted:

tip completely inappropriate posts everywhere

use it to buy ben lawsky reddit gold

• Locked thread