Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

VDay posted:

Because it's pointless? My point was that labeling one item overpowered is silly in a game that's designed to let you break it, and I think it's funny that people think getting a bunch of health is so overpowered that dark bum should/will get nerfed when stuff like the super powerful damage dealers are in the game and are fine. I wonder how many of the people calling for bum to get nerfed haven't actually gotten to the womb and beyond, because he becomes pretty useless when you're taking a heart of damage every hit and there aren't just 5-6 hearts per level that you can easily get.

I beat the Lamb earlier today and I still think he needs a nerf, am I good enough at the game to disagree with you? Every other aspect of the game involving soul hearts shows that they should be still somewhat rare even with items that make them more likely and a cheap on-demand 1:1 soul heart converter that doesn't even take up a space bar or trinket slot is completely out of whack with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Ahhh gently caress, I was so close to finishing cathedral without taking damage but sometimes Isaac's sweeping white beam attack can get you even when you back in the corner.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I got Dark Boy but didn't unlock Samson. What the hell happened there?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bluurrurhguh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2qQQ2tsdM

that's Lamb beaten with no damage upgrades whatsoever I suppose :downsgun:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zoness posted:

A reminder that there is a combo that literally clears almost every room with only a 1 second window in which to take damage.

But I mean, individual item-wise, I suppose that's pretty good.

Gnawed Leaf + any passive damage dealer is so absurd as long as you're willing to wait it out.

Gnawed leaf sounds dumb but I haven't gotten a chance to test it out myself. Holy shield is something I've gotten several times and each time its won the run for me. Furthermore its not some dream combo that only comes up occasionally; this item alone will salvage basically any run.

Poizen Jam posted:

So I got Dark Boy but didn't unlock Samson. What the hell happened there?

I heard Sampson is glitched and certain things that cost you health (devil deals) but don't directly damage you ruin unlocking him. The boy achievements sensibly don't count that stuff though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

I heard Sampson is glitched and certain things that cost you health (devil deals) but don't directly damage you ruin unlocking him. The boy achievements sensibly don't count that stuff though.

Yup. You get the achievement for clearing an area without getting hit the moment the boss is dead. You get Samson when you jump down to the next floor. So if you take a devil deal, fight Krampus, or got out and explore the res of the level now that you got the achievement you can still gently caress up unlocking Sampson.

Guess who did all three before figuring it out? :v:

In other news, the box of cards spacebar item is rather interestingly buggy if you've got both the items that give you double card space and double pill space. It kept giving me random pills that, if I dropped them (holding L-CTRL) would always become The Tower as soon as they hit the floor.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Internet Kraken posted:

Gnawed leaf sounds dumb but I haven't gotten a chance to test it out myself. Holy shield is something I've gotten several times and each time its won the run for me. Furthermore its not some dream combo that only comes up occasionally; this item alone will salvage basically any run.

Do you mean the Holy Mantle or the Trinity Shield?

Both of them are unbelievably strong defensive items, but I'd say the trinity shield is a bit better when it comes to trivializing most bossfights. Then again, holy mantle lets you go into curse rooms for free, play demon judgement/blood banks infinitely, and makes getting those devil/angel deals very easy.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Alkydere posted:

In other news, the box of cards spacebar item is rather interestingly buggy if you've got both the items that give you double card space and double pill space. It kept giving me random pills that, if I dropped them (holding L-CTRL) would always become The Tower as soon as they hit the floor.

You should email that bug to isaac@nicalis.com , sounds unfun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What's the secret fourth character in this one?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oh my God anti-gravity shots on Azazel.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

XLNZ
12WH

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh my God anti-gravity shots on Azazel.

Wait is this a good oh my god or a bad oh my god? Because I despise anti-grav shots on Azazel. If you've got any insight as to how to make it not complete poo poo, I'd love to know

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Brother Entropy posted:

I beat the Lamb earlier today and I still think he needs a nerf, am I good enough at the game to disagree with you? Every other aspect of the game involving soul hearts shows that they should be still somewhat rare even with items that make them more likely and a cheap on-demand 1:1 soul heart converter that doesn't even take up a space bar or trinket slot is completely out of whack with that.

....and? The entire point of the game is that sometimes you get a lovely run and have to try and scrape by with bad items, and sometimes you get a combination of items that makes you drat near invincible. We're not talking about some kind of game-breaking, fun-ruining mechanic or character, just a single item that gives you a bunch of health. Nerfing items in order to serve some kind of arbitrary idea of balance is dumb, doubly so when there are dozens of other items/combinations/ways to completely break a run apart and make it effortless.

\/\/ Meh, that's a shame. Oh well. I wonder what the next super OP item that should totally be nerfed for some inexplicable reason will be.

Haha: http://platinumgod.co.uk/dark-bum

VDay fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 8, 2014

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^To be clear I don't think he needed to be nerfed, but I'm personally pretty ok with the change, I played a round with him and he's still pretty great.

In case it wasn't already common knowledge, the devil bum just got a nerf in the update. He now only spawns 1 soul heart for every 1 and a half red hearts, instead of 1-1.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 8, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's one thing to have really powerful items that change the way you play, it's quite another to have an item that essentially sets your health to 12 instantly, thus completely negating the worth of a stat that is usually integral to gameplay while also not actually being interesting in any way shape or form because it's a complete no-brainer. The new Devil Bum is still powerful but there's an actual tradeoff involved so it's a lot more interesting, hope that helps.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You guys weren't kidding about Soy Milk, that poo poo is a run ender right there. Everything is so loving tedious and terrible.

Speaking of which, gently caress Magnetic Tears too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NickPancakes posted:

You should email that bug to isaac@nicalis.com , sounds unfun.

Did so. It was actually kinda silly, not really unfun at all.

Magres posted:

Wait is this a good oh my god or a bad oh my god? Because I despise anti-grav shots on Azazel. If you've got any insight as to how to make it not complete poo poo, I'd love to know

In my case the response was "Oh, wow, that is an interesting item combination." The fact that they made a unique behavior and animation for it is actually really cool.

A for how you'd use it, I would guess as some sort of Brimstone mine/bomb.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Alkydere posted:

"We also fixed some minor gameplay related issues that I will not mention here in detail"

Time to see if Dark Bum Buddy still gives 1:1 soul hearts to hearts.

I just went on a run after the patch loaded. I can vouch that he does NOT any more. He's still pretty drat powerful though. I also had the converter that run so eventually he outlived his usefulness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The new Devil Bum is still powerful but there's an actual tradeoff involved so it's a lot more interesting, hope that helps.

What's the tradeoff? If you mean the fact that he turns hearts into soul hearts, a) you can still get them before he picks them up because he moves slowly, and b) soul hearts are better than normal hearts in every possible situation.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^^ The tradeoff is that he now consumes more red hearts then he produces in soul hearts, so he's not just straight-up upgrading them.

Yodzilla posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Soy Milk, that poo poo is a run ender right there. Everything is so loving tedious and terrible.

Speaking of which, gently caress Magnetic Tears too.

Magnetic Tears could be charitably described as 'situational', but there is literally no upside to Soy Milk, other then proc'ing more status effects, and why would you want that instead of, y'know, actually being able to damage enemies?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Not sure if it has been posted, likely has but DO NOT use the sync feature on Vita/PS4. I guess it's broken and will be fixed in the next update.

I really hope my save isn't wreaked that would suck.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/530773842919030785

If your game is permanently stuck loading your only option is to delete both the game and your save.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

CJacobs posted:

b) soul hearts are better than normal hearts in every possible situation.

You do know that they can't go off the screen in Rebirth, right? :D

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

VDay posted:

....and? The entire point of the game is that sometimes you get a lovely run and have to try and scrape by with bad items, and sometimes you get a combination of items that makes you drat near invincible. We're not talking about some kind of game-breaking, fun-ruining mechanic or character, just a single item that gives you a bunch of health. Nerfing items in order to serve some kind of arbitrary idea of balance is dumb, doubly so when there are dozens of other items/combinations/ways to completely break a run apart and make it effortless.

I'm sorry but if I can't spreadsheet every run out I

Also this game is great on Vita, however I assume it won't get updated nearly as much as the PC version (?)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Normal hearts can't either, and when you reach a full bar of full hearts you can't have any soul hearts.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

^^^^ The tradeoff is that he now consumes more red hearts then he produces in soul hearts, so he's not just straight-up upgrading them.

Oh, did that actually get changed?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

What's the tradeoff? If you mean the fact that he turns hearts into soul hearts, a) you can still get them before he picks them up because he moves slowly, and b) soul hearts are better than normal hearts in every possible situation.
I specifically said that new version. 1 soul heart is not better than 1.5 red hearts in every possible situation.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Yeah so if you needed a red heart instead (which is unlikely because under the old version you should have been trading away all your hearts in devil deals once you had your health hard-set to 12 by the dark bum) you could just beat him to it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So can someone spoil me on all the different levels/bosses there are. It took me a good while to get to the chest/??? boss fight in the original and it'll just be longer to get to whatever the hell is past that now.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I know it's small potatoes compared to all the vets on here, but I just beat Mom for the first time :)

Azazel is crazy powerful. By the last level I had maxed-out hearts (like seven of which were sin), the dead cat for nine lives, a bunch of dmg+ pills and some prayer card that gave me free white hearts every few rooms. By the depths I was actively avoiding items I hadn't seen before b/c I didn't want to possibly screw up my run.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so, i just trashed the suicide king challenge and it was pretty much all due to the fact that i got a round worm trinket in the first couple of rooms. sweet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am confused on whether the devil bum talk is about projected changes for the devil bum or if it actually did get changed but a downside to it is nice either way.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Had another really great run. Using Maggy, it starts slow (but I repeat myself), but an early curse room gives you Guppy's Tail and Paw, which you can then use to turn Maggy's extra health into soul hearts, and you also get the trinket that opens gold chests for free. Hold onto that, because in Caves 2, there's a chest that completes the cat mode set. From that point on, everything just goes absolutely right, including a goat head for guaranteed Sheol access ahead of the curve. Also included are an army of spiders, poison tears, the Nail, and so much other stuff going right that I can't even remember it all. Satan never stood a chance, let alone Mom's Heart.

E1BJ
HS29

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

I am confused on whether the devil bum talk is about projected changes for the devil bum or if it actually did get changed but a downside to it is nice either way.

it got changed so it now requires like 1 and a half or 2 hearts. i'm guessing just two separate heart drops, maybe.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Sanctum posted:

XLNZ
12WH

This is bullshit powerful and I'm envious that you legitimately got this run. I noticed the head seems to spawn only if you open the chest before picking up the other cat items- so there must be some kind of RNG effects that aren't completely determined by the seed number.

I didn't realize using seeds would disable achievements/stats, sadly, but I guess it makes sense.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Duggler posted:

I'm sorry but if I can't spreadsheet every run out I

Also this game is great on Vita, however I assume it won't get updated nearly as much as the PC version (?)

The pc update is already submitted to Sony for Vita/Ps4. They're committed just the process is longer versus steam.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
The point at which 12% of players, including me, cannot play at all, and then receive a patch - a patch the developers admittedly did not test - that fixes it for basically none of them and supposedly breaks it for some who could previously play, is the point at which I am seriously tempted to accept a refund. But goddamnit I really just want the game to function.

EDIT: The game was still refusing to start for me even after the patch, though it consumed a lot more processing power not starting than it did before. I was actually able to get it to start by deleting all local content and starting from scratch, but doing so got me the "everything's white" glitch that many others have described. Feeling somewhat better now as I seriously doubt they'll continue to leave it unfixed.

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 8, 2014

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Holy poo poo, Ipecac + Libra = Rapid fire tiny explosive shots.

Edit: Even more Holy poo poo, add in Magic Mushroom and I'm machine gunning explosive shots.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 8, 2014

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Tip: if you have Dr. Fetus, do NOT take Loki's Horns. :suicide:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Soy Milk has to be close to the worst item that I've used so far. Only reason it isn't worse than Bobs Thoughts is that you can't hurt yourself with it and that there are a lot more damage up items in the game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Testekill posted:

Soy Milk has to be close to the worst item that I've used so far. Only reason it isn't worse than Bobs Thoughts is that you can't hurt yourself with it and that there are a lot more damage up items in the game.

No way, Bobs Thoughts is better than Soy Milk. If you're careful with it Bobs Thoughts can actually be useful. Soy Milk is universally terrible and can literally end a run if you hit a room full of Hemoglobins and don't have damage upgrades or bombs - you cannot kill them with just unupgraded Soy Milk before they regenerate.

I've won stuff with Bobs Thoughts, I've tried Soy Milk a couple times and it just stops my run in its tracks within a couple rooms, every time.

I really wish there weren't so many cripplingly bad items in Rebirth. I make a habit of picking up every item ever (and did so in WotL) and there really weren't items that could torpedo a good run in WotL the way there are in Rebirth.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Poizen Jam posted:

This is bullshit powerful and I'm envious that you legitimately got this run. I noticed the head seems to spawn only if you open the chest before picking up the other cat items- so there must be some kind of RNG effects that aren't completely determined by the seed number.

I didn't realize using seeds would disable achievements/stats, sadly, but I guess it makes sense.
Did you use your re-roll in the curse room after becoming guppy, and if so did guppy's head re-roll into the goat head for you as well?

With the judgement card on the 2nd floor you can re-roll his payout in the devil room into mom's knife. By the time I reached caves I was guppy w/ triple shot mom's knives. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
The best way to get the Dark Boy achievement in rebirth is by sheer accident after it was the last achievement you got in the original.
Speaking from experience at least.