Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The funny thing for me about Star Build Strike is that the Hyper Build Knuckle pretty much is a Super Robot Wars attack as it is, right down to how it's animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I would pay money to hear Kira's VA attempt to let out a RG SYSTEM, FULL RELEASE, BUILD KNUUUUUUCKUAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

A ridiculous spray of gunpla technobabble would also be acceptable.

He already basically did that. One of his other characters was the main character of Digimon Saviors who spends all his time punching Digimon

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Front Mission would probably be good for really basic grunt units but that's about it. You could probably get a little mileage out of the M.I.D.A.S. but then again pretty much every near-future mecha anime these days has their own "like a nuke, but not" sort of weapon. Maybe slap the Hoshun Mk112 as an unlockable suit as that's the only Wanzer that I know of with a beam weapon.

Nah, just have the Front Mission guys have their ultimate attacks be all their combat skills triggering at once over and over so they unload like five hundred rounds into the dude.
Like Chirico!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

He already basically did that. One of his other characters was the main character of Digimon Saviors who spends all his time punching Digimon
This is the loving greatest thing Kira contributed to this thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

This is the loving greatest thing Kira contributed to this thread

He was also the lead in Scryed but that isn't as funny.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Patlabor is in SRW, how is Front Mission less realistic to get in because of power reasons?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Policenaut posted:

Front Mission would probably be good for really basic grunt units but that's about it. You could probably get a little mileage out of the M.I.D.A.S. but then again pretty much every near-future mecha anime these days has their own "like a nuke, but not" sort of weapon. Maybe slap the Hoshun Mk112 as an unlockable suit as that's the only Wanzer that I know of with a beam weapon.

Several other units also have beam weapons (the Kehei 0 and the T-1 Brutal Wolf, as examples - you just don't get either of them) but I don't exactly think 'having beam weapons' is a requirement to get in. Wanzers are probably better than VOTOMs armoured troopers and Patlabour units and both of them made it in.

No, the real reason they never will is because Square-Enix.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Look, let's just put Armored Core: For Answer and Last Raven units in and call it a day, alright?

Banpresto has already collaborated with Fromsoft before!

(also make nineball recruitable with this portrait )

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

He was also the lead in Scryed but that isn't as funny.
Ohhh, on that topic do they ever make a wink between Heero and Kira in SRW? IIRC Heero's VA is in Scryed too as the antagonist and they had a nod in Code Geass about it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd be down for Nine-Ball in Super Robot Wars, after all it already showed up in ACER.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm still waiting for Vandread to show up. I'd love to see "the girl who leapt through space" and metal wolf chaos.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Fereydun posted:

Look, let's just put Armored Core: For Answer and Last Raven units in and call it a day, alright?

Banpresto has already collaborated with Fromsoft before!

(also make nineball recruitable with this portrait )

Hell its easy to justify why AC units would be on your team, your guys are just paying them enough. You would probably also recruit a bunch of the fan favorites in terms of enemy ACs/NEXTs, probably tfor much the same reason.

Also, something Like Motherwill would be really loving cool to see in SRW.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd love to see Metal Gear pop up, now that I'm thinking about it. Just let me battle MP RAYs and crazy poo poo like the Chaioth Ha Qadesh. Pls Banpresto.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Theme of Solid Snake playing in glorious SRW Midi.

Heck, just have Snake himself as a S unit. You spend money to upgrade him as if he was a mech, but it's just Snake, on foot, destroying mechs.

Edit: Also bring in SNATCHER and Policenauts for the full Kojima experience.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Raiden. Theme: RULES OF NATURE. Final Attack: Combo with Blade Wolf ending with spastic Blade Mode. You know you want to Banpresto.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still want Sakura Wars and Rayearth in SRW!

Or, alternatively, SRWE!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Heck, just have Snake himself as a S unit. You spend money to upgrade him as if he was a mech, but it's just Snake, on foot, destroying mechs.
Just for the record, "Human" sized units are SS sized in SRW - see Iczer and Tekkaman Blade.

Unless Snake is so fat he upgraded himself to S size.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Davzz posted:

Just for the record, "Human" sized units are SS sized in SRW - see Iczer and Tekkaman Blade.

Unless Snake is so fat he upgraded himself to S size.

Sure, SS is what I meant.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If Snake is SS, does that make Liquid LS?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

If Snake is SS, does that make Liquid LS?

:golfclap:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Fereydun posted:

Nah, just have the Front Mission guys have their ultimate attacks be all their combat skills triggering at once over and over so they unload like five hundred rounds into the dude.
Like Chirico!

Front Mission would be easier to implement from a gameplay perspective. As mentioned, Wanzers are already better than Scopedogs and the pilots have lots of different skills, attacks, and roles to utilize, so you won't run into an Escaflowne-esque problem.

The main thing is how do you implement it at a story-level given how the major arc of the story spans for a decade and a half, let alone which installment you choose to use.

I guess you could use Front Mission Evolved, but...

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Obviously you use the best Front Mission game. Gun Hazard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite Front Mission plot is the one in 4 about some dudes in Venezuela trying to steal 25 million dollars and go home. I want that in a SWR game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Endorph posted:

My favorite Front Mission plot is the one in 4 about some dudes in Venezuela trying to steal 25 million dollars and go home. I want that in a SWR game.

Given Darril has been in the most games of any PC from Front Mission (3 of them, including once as a lead character) that is quite possibly the main character you'd get.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I would absolutely love to see Front Mission Evolved in an SRW game, preferably alongside Gundam 00 so we can watch Banpresto somehow explain how a hidden space elevator can somehow exist in a universe with space colonies and actual known space elevators.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Policenaut posted:

I would absolutely love to see Front Mission Evolved in an SRW game, preferably alongside Gundam 00 so we can watch Banpresto somehow explain how a hidden space elevator can somehow exist in a universe with space colonies and actual known space elevators.

How do you even hide a space elevator in the first place?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
GN particles.

Lots and lots of GN particles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They've already had dimension stuff that obscures continents, it wouldn't be such a stretch to say that they could prevent something that has just shifted in from another world from being detectable at first.

edit: or they could go LOTR and say that while the UN gave space elevators to the three big governments, they fooled them all and forged a fourth elevator in secret...one space elevator to rule them all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 8, 2014

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What is the best Front Mission game to start with if I wanted to try the series?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

WrightOfWay posted:

What is the best Front Mission game to start with if I wanted to try the series?

Probably 3, though it suffers from a early-mid PSX translation. 4 is also pretty good. 5 is the best but you'll probably want to have played one of the others first; also, it doesn't have an official translation, but has a very good fan translation. This does mean you'll have to find a way to play a patched PS2 ISO.

1 is rather archaic (though it does have a DS rerelease I haven't played that might improve matters), and 2 has no complete translation, suffers from crippling loading times, and is also quite archaic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The route split would be decided by if you go eat lunch with your buddy or not.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

WrightOfWay posted:

I'll echo the others and say that 3 is probably the best one to start with. This has everything to do with the fact that it's my favorite FM game and also in my top PS1 games of all time. I think I've finished it like 4 times by this point.

It carries over skills between playthroughs, which is great too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'd start with 1 personally if you like sprite graphics. I don't know what's archiac about it, since it has all the Front Mission essentials. The downfall is that it's probably one of the easiest games you will ever play. The upside is that pretty much ALL of the Front Missions relate back to FM1 somehow and will make mention of it repeatedly.

I'd go with 3-4-5 then. FM2 is pretty much insufferable to play in its current form. Which is a real shame because it does cause problems in understanding parts of FM5 without it. Then again I played all of the Front Missions and still have yet to completely grasp all of the throwbacks in FM5.

I must be the only person who didn't absolutely love FM3. I liked playing it but it was realllllllly slow in terms of animations and the overall feeling (the machine guns felt so pathetic). Like a lot of people I just went with PUNCHY robots simply because they had the most impact and fastest animations next to shotguns. It was also an extremely easy game :(

Great world/setting though, but that's a common theme in all the Front Missions. Uh, except FM4 I guess :(

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
If you can understand Japanese you could always start by grabbing this:

Front Mission History

It comes with the PS1 version of 1, which has a bonus scenario, an updated version of 2 with the option to shorten battle scenes to eliminate the long loads and slow pacing, and 3. Plus 3 figures. Not too shabby. They had a copy down at my local gameshop that I was always on the fence about buying, but after the discussion here I decided what the hell I'll pick it up.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait, has anyone said Cyberbots, because that needs to be in a SRW. Alteisen and Blodia, teaming up and double punching :allears:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Curious to know everyones thoughts on Star Driver.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Race Realists posted:

bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

It's a pretty bad show. Some of the staff may have worked on Utena but the end result was a hollow show that devalued its female cast in favor of a dumb protagonist defined only by his fabulous posing and whose battles are all hollow and empty because losing isn't an option.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The fish song was pretty much the only thing of quality that Star Driver added to the animeverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-kzi6W6B0

[e] Oh and one of the victory poses from the Star Driver DLC in Tales of Xillia, can't forget that!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Star Driver has way more style than substance but that style was enough to keep me watching it.

• Locked thread