Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I will let you in on the new secrets of money. They have ruined the economy, it's goddamn stupid, but there are ways to get money. You will need a moderately full map, and a calculator to start. First we will upgrade something about halfway the cost of your high gold research which you really want. It needs to be about 3 days in duration or this wont work.

Upgrade your halfway research Wednesday night . You might ask, why am I upgrading something I might not want right now instead of trying to save for the big one? Why Wednesday? Short answer: you can't anymore, there are not enough bases, and Wednesdays are special. Ok we have something upgrading for 3 days great. Start cycling pvp bases to get better gold payouts.

You need to have a fuller map with enough PVP bases on Friday, just before the research completes. Ideally you will get both an OP and VP reward with gold as well, even one should be fine. You need to start with just under the threshold where people steal your junk. Boost your RR statues, we're going on a bender.

You have 50% of that halfway research in gold 'banked', you will lose 50% of your initial research gold and the opportunity cost, but it's the only way currently. Use a calculator (excel) right now to determine if you can wipe all your bases, dr terror, and your vp/op reward boats to make your goal. If you can't then let your research lapse and retry next wednesday. If this works you are now spending 5m+ gold using the 50% protected gold bank.

Tanks 10 started, my pvp gold bases were 171k/135k/115k/90k and got shittier from there. RR statues are super important now it seems, we should probably double up on them.

PJOmega posted:

I'm level 17, HQ level 8 (so 4 boats w/9 cap each, no smoke screen), and getting paired against level 23+ enemies and utterly unable to take bases.

Any recommendations? I'm tired of throwing my face into attacks that end up costing me 5k to recover from.

Short and skinny is you're hosed for a bit. You need to lose some VP because you seem to be matched too high. Players wont steam roll you if you don't have resources to steal, so you need to collect your resources for a few days, and take out some npc bases at the same time. Don't spend anything for a while, this game can be super lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

vulturesrow posted:

That's a good post Zila. I'd only add don't underestimate the power of mass riflemen. The best part about them is that they are cheap and fast to replace and with good flare usage you can take stuff down pretty fast. For normal map clearing that is my most used troop comp. They tank for zookas surprisingly well also.

All riflemen is my favorite. So cheap and versatile. I might lose 50 troops, but the 30 left standing are more than enough to destroy the HQ.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

jm20 posted:

I will let you in on the new secrets of money. They have ruined the economy, it's goddamn stupid, but there are ways to get money. You will need a moderately full map, and a calculator to start. First we will upgrade something about halfway the cost of your high gold research which you really want. It needs to be about 3 days in duration or this wont work.

Upgrade your halfway research Wednesday night . You might ask, why am I upgrading something I might not want right now instead of trying to save for the big one? Why Wednesday? Short answer: you can't anymore, there are not enough bases, and Wednesdays are special. Ok we have something upgrading for 3 days great. Start cycling pvp bases to get better gold payouts.

You need to have a fuller map with enough PVP bases on Friday, just before the research completes. Ideally you will get both an OP and VP reward with gold as well, even one should be fine. You need to start with just under the threshold where people steal your junk. Boost your RR statues, we're going on a bender.

You have 50% of that halfway research in gold 'banked', you will lose 50% of your initial research gold and the opportunity cost, but it's the only way currently. Use a calculator (excel) right now to determine if you can wipe all your bases, dr terror, and your vp/op reward boats to make your goal. If you can't then let your research lapse and retry next wednesday. If this works you are now spending 5m+ gold using the 50% protected gold bank.

Tanks 10 started, my pvp gold bases were 171k/135k/115k/90k and got shittier from there. RR statues are super important now it seems, we should probably double up on them.

what?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

From what I can tell, stash gold in a research you intend to cancel (50% loss but untouchable), cycle your map so you'll have tons of gold payout, then Friday couple dr terror missions with pvp rewards and canceling the research to afford the insanely expensive upgrade you actually want.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I wish I could message other players. This one person TALLEI has attacked my resource base like 5 times in a row unsuccessfully with one retreating heavy every time. It's hilarious.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc

This is the resource base I was talking about. If it takes tanks I guess I'll just have to wait and cycle it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

tophet posted:

This is the resource base I was talking about. If it takes tanks I guess I'll just have to wait and cycle it.

It won't cycle, it's npc owned. I waited for tanks to take that base, I learned the hard way that heavies get inside the no fire zone and the zookas just die. You need to attack from the right side and can ignore one rl on the left.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
How about this one? I tried 6x tanks and they get pounded before I can even kill one RL.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Did you flare up to the RLs? Flare up above #2, use a shock on 3-5. Might have to wait for higher level tanks or medics

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I did, but as soon as they bunched up they lost too much health. I'll wait until I can cycle it or get some higher level guys.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Use warriors for that bunched base, you'll need to smoke to the RL. Freeze both RL on the sides. Arty the mg, ignore the sniper tower.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Any task force besides goon fleet? Or maybe there's an inactive who can be kicked? I just gained the ability to join :)

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Join Patton's Heroes

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Any task force besides goon fleet? Or maybe there's an inactive who can be kicked? I just gained the ability to join :)

4th paragraph of the OP.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Cool, I'm in. Now what. Wait for somebody to start an operation?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Through diamonds, raiding, and OPs I finally have 4 LCs that can hold two tanks and 2 LCs that can hold 3 medics. I guess I need more gunboat energy now to deal with the cannons.

Tanks are great, but slow. I actually ran out of time attacking a player base. Too much time killing his buildings for gbe.

Any tips for tank/medic?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
So if I just hang out at hq12 maxing everything out I'm still gonna be vulnerable to raiders higher level than me if I keep getting VPs from Npc missions and buttholes I kick off my beach?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
i believe so. that's why i leave npc bases alone unless they're snow bases

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I clear everything for the shot at intel. I can't be the only one. And if enough people do it, then you will still be in the same VP range for your level as everyone else.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

gromdul posted:

I clear everything for the shot at intel. I can't be the only one. And if enough people do it, then you will still be in the same VP range for your level as everyone else.

I've been clearing bases out constantly NPC or otherwise because I feel like that helps us out with Intel. We do need Intel right?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

uh

uh...?

uh

Well, thanks for the free Steamroller achievement I guess

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

uh

uh...?

uh

Well, thanks for the free Steamroller achievement I guess

Dropping medals.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ah.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

How the heck are you supposed to get from hq6 to hq7 when you need 5200 stone and can't build a quarry yet. And whenever I save up like half that much stone, I get raided and lose most of it. Can't even get enough to upgrade my vault. Did I hit a paywall or something?

E: guess I hope I find more resource bases.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Get as high as you can then get the remaining with diamonds. This will happen again with iron.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Also upgrade your radar and try to the early stone/iron bases.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Here is my current base.
It does relatively well. Stops most warrior raids, and the occasional TMed or Hooka who slips up. It's also intimidating enough that I only get attacked by people 1-4 levels above me.

Looking back as far as I can go in my log, I'm at 4 defends, 7 losses.
What I'd like to know: Is this about the best defensive win/loss ratio I can expect for HQ15, or is there a configuration that might get better results?

Morton Haynice fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 12, 2014

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Morton Haynice posted:

Here is my current base.
It does relatively well. Stops most warrior raids, and the occasional TMed or Hooka who slips up. It's also intimidating enough that I only get attacked by people 1-4 levels above me.

Looking back as far as I can go in my log, I'm at 4 defends, 7 losses.
What I'd like to know: Is this about the best defensive win/loss ratio I can expect for HQ15, or is there a configuration that might get better results?

Looks fine, but you are HQ15 when you could be at HQ16 at your current level. There is no downside to going higher, and especially for HQ12/16/20 where you get extra boats.

Defending doesn't really matter until HQ20.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Yeah, I wanna go for it soon. I'm just paying the price for evenly upgrading all my troops since the beginning.
My armory's only lvl 11, and that makes farming tough and slow. I'll have to hold onto loot for a long time to build up enough to make the jump. (Hence my interest in alternate layouts)

Update- Never mind. I was being overly pessimistic.

Terror Loot + Clearing my map (seriously, like only 1 enemy left), plus ***gems*** was more than enough!

Morton Haynice fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 12, 2014

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
That was a lot of gems. Like jm said, don't worry about defense. Best you can hope for is deterring people to hold off their attack which your building health mp should do nicely.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
HQ upgrades are basically the one thing I use them on. That's almost all the gems I saved since the start of HQ15.
Ironically I didn't need them to buy resources, I used them to finish a 14 hr radar upgrade. No way was all my loot gonna sit in storage that long.

It didn't occur to me til later that the smartest thing to do would have been to cancel the radar, buy the HQ, and sit on the rest for the duration. Oh well. Time to start again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just requested to join pattons heroes

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If anything you should be keeping your armory as upgraded as possible, and maxing out your primary troop as quickly as possible. If you have rifles 8 and Tanks 12 who cares, as long as your primary troop gets the job done. I can't stress enough that you should be putting every piece of gold into offensive upgrades all the time, mines are such a waste of armory time unless you really want to be defensively focused (which is crazy).

fake edit: also have a backup troop combo, they could nerf warriors or tmed overnight so hedge your bets

If you guys are getting hooked on gemming things be very cautious, around HQ17 (L41) basically everything starts costing a small fortune.

Zila
Jun 21, 2013
You want the highest possible sculptor and armory possible for more statues and higher arty/barrage/troops. Which means you want to upgrade your hq to the highest you can.

I like upgrading my arty first then either barrage or troops. I have lvl 5 tanks that can clear out most 40s and if I fail I switch to lvl13 warriors. Boosted for dr terror I crushed a level46 that was double ice boosted at level 39.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
What about the submarine? I find it's pretty cheap and a nice return on investment.
Or should I be devoting every cent to troop upgrades?

For that matter, what about the radar?
I'm at lvl 14, with 3 of 8 new regions explored. Should I forget map expansion for now too?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Explore you map always, and do sub dives when they don't interfere with your armory upgrades. Troops > map > sub, but keep in mind there is a certain amount of resources dependant on your vault level.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Yeah, that seems to be workable. It's a terror day and I had more than enough to finish my map, send a sub, and buy an upgrade.

I guess I'm just surprised by the "focus on one tactic" emphasis in Boom Beach. In Clash of Clans, you're usually using 5-7 different troop types per battle. So when I started BB, I assumed it was gonna be the same. You know, "Upgrade everything and move on to the next armory level." Only in the past week have I learned that's not how you're supposed to play the game. It's been kind of a shock, and it'll be another couple weeks before I'm caught up.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Jm20. I'll try to give an update once I've had time to properly implement this new upgrade strategy.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Morton Haynice posted:

Yeah, that seems to be workable. It's a terror day and I had more than enough to finish my map, send a sub, and buy an upgrade.

I guess I'm just surprised by the "focus on one tactic" emphasis in Boom Beach. In Clash of Clans, you're usually using 5-7 different troop types per battle. So when I started BB, I assumed it was gonna be the same. You know, "Upgrade everything and move on to the next armory level." Only in the past week have I learned that's not how you're supposed to play the game. It's been kind of a shock, and it'll be another couple weeks before I'm caught up.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Jm20. I'll try to give an update once I've had time to properly implement this new upgrade strategy.

There's a big difference in terms of number of spell uses per game, where there are relatively far more tactics required. In Clash you maybe toss what, 5 spells with a maxed Spellforge? And you have zero control over troops once they deploy, versus the Flare. And your Heroes, once each every hour or whatever.

You should be using your Gunboat Energy to dance around bases, punching towers in their nuts with superior positioning, well-timed shocks, occasional smokescreens, whatever it takes. How you do that depends on how you want to play and how you devote your sweet sweet poo-raid earnings.

jm20 follows a doctrine of keeping his bigass tanks alive, running a hard Tmed with something like 100+ GBE while boosted. He had the foresight to max his tanks early, which paid off. You can still pursue that. I roll an alright Tmed. Unfortunately, I Am A Bad Tank Pilot. I make critical errors often, and while I can still hit some targets down 1-2 tanks, I'm Still A Bad Tank Pilot. I can't read the field well enough while accounting for medic movement to properly flare and keep enough of the drat things alive for more than a couple raids, maybe a few if I have some real bad bases (and don't make any very stupid mistakes with flare placement, like chronically not placing the drat thing far enough away to outrange towers :argh:).

Anyway, even though I previously was underleveled in my armory and had been unlocking every research before upgrading the armory, I saw jm roll some op bases and followed the example of focused research, bolstering my Tmed and focusing on Riflemen, which I've scrawled incoherently about previously.

I pretty much took the opposite approach of jm: I assume losses, and plan on operating around the drip rate of new riflemen while focusing on minimizing losses.

Riflemen make full use of my landing craft, so between major upgrades like 12/16/20 slots, they can gain a relative increase in DPS compared to those units which waste slots (e.g. only 5 warriors in a 17 slot boat, leaving 2 empty LC slots).

More importantly, Riflemen exploit terrain more easily than tanks or warriors because they're faster than tanks, longer ranged than warriors, and cluster together tightly to exploit gaps in fields of fire, existing or created. The tradeoff is that if you fail to clear enough enemy splash or otherwise avoid it, mistakes result in losses that force a longer break. Like Warriors, Riflemen move at a constant speed and follow flare directions, unlike the medic/tank speed mismatch and the fact medics don't follow flares (they follow wounded units). For me, that's a huge difference in my own effectiveness as a player, so I started dumping all my research into that priority

Riflemen are also one of the best units (when upgraded enough and rocking some TD/TH) to roll through single-target focused bases; those resource bases with tons of snipers and BCs and cannons go down pretty quick to riflemen storming in with shock bombs dropping and smokes to get around safely with the occasional medkit.

Post-Task Force patch, I still run GBE and a little bit of magma-help, but less than before; I took up some Ice statues to help out my resource bases. Now, I prioritize:

Artillery
Riflemen
Barrage
Specials (Flares for more efficient distance-flanks, Shockbombs for sweet sweet shocking, Smoke for More Smoke)
Medkit
Upgrading the Armory itself to unlock the next level of at least the top-three (arty/barrage/riflemen)
Anything else if I can't afford to upgrade the armory itself/any better upgrades either due to level or they're just not affordable yet (gaining levels is fine, you want to gain levels because you unlock the next HQ faster, it's a question of whether or not you want to give up the armory research slot or not)

My L14 Riflemen are 400hp right now and deal 120 dps each (counting all statue bonuses). I need to get Armory-14 and just beeline the rifles, but the :effort: to farm... I've been upgrading my BCs and watching people somehow wipe against my base. Three or four wipes against this in the last couple of days, though just as many got through if not more, got a nice handful of diamonds out of it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
There are lots of good troop combos that work well, you just need to focus on a primary combo to ensure you can punch higher than your own level. The bases above your own level are the ones that typically have better resource payouts.

I haven't used anything but tanks since I have unlocked them so if they get nerfed im screwed. I tried warriors the other day and they died pretty promptly.

They are working on a new troop so I'm curious what it is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
I'm William in game. I've been bucking the popular method of rushing HQ upgrades, simply because I derive more fun out of my playstyle, which in the end is what this is all about. I acknowledge that yes, in most cases HQ rushing is the optimal way to play and that there are minimal downsides to it.

My main thing is that this game is a poopbreak game. I pop on, raid 2-5 bases in a row, and upgrade what I can when I can - including all armory upgrades (even mines). I cbf sitting there raiding until I get all of resources required for the next HQ upgrade.

The end result is that I get a diverse range of attacking styles - I can successfully do warrior rushes, rifle rushes, hooka, tmed, rifle-med, you name it. It's fun being able to change it up, I get far too bored playing the one attacking play. I also have solid defences. I'll get scouted a large number of times each day, get a lot of probing attacks, and very rarely (less than once a day) there will be a successful attack. It's hilarious watching people wipe again and again on my base because they neglect my high level snipers (tmed), or my FTs (warrior rushes), or my cannons (hooka). Most attacks either waste all their GBE on my max BCs or RLs, and then they get poo poo on by everything left in my base. I love it. The only attacks that do make it through are when I'm upgrading a cannon, or on Dr Terror days when a lot of people boost their GBE or TD/TH statues, and even then they get gently caress all resources (of the people who do Attack successfully).

I know that once I get HQ17 I'll have a massive defensive spike as I get my SL and third BC. But that'll happen when I've either got nothing else left to upgrade or I get a lucky streak of 4-5 200k plus attacks in a row. I'm having far too much fun with people underestimating my base and watching them fail.

Anyway, that's my story. Not rushing HQ can work for certain play styles. Play the game the way that is most fun for you and that suits your playstyle.

• Locked thread