Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Cubey posted:

Good, hopefully that means Danny's next album won't be a giant letdown like Old was.

Old is probs one of my favourite albums in rap, so I disagree, just listen to Float On and tell me that is not the most mortal thing you have ever heard coming from the immortal king of pills that is Danny Brown. It is such a shockingly stark, yet perfect ending to an album, probably my fave closer ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Another Person posted:

Old is probs one of my favourite albums in rap, so I disagree, just listen to Float On and tell me that is not the most mortal thing you have ever heard coming from the immortal king of pills that is Danny Brown. It is such a shockingly stark, yet perfect ending to an album, probably my fave closer ever.

Sorry but the man already had the best rap closer ever in 30.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Another Person posted:

I think an album can still be great and a letdown, if your expectations are just higher than what was actually released.

I was a bit disappointed in Old even though it was a great album. I just preferred XXX and The Hybrid.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

I think an album can still be great and a letdown, if your expectations are just higher than what was actually released.

I was a bit disappointed in Old even though it was a great album. I just preferred XXX and The Hybrid.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying the dudes opinion was wrong. I was just stating my opinion. Didn't really give much of an argument for why tho, hah. I like how weird it all is. A lot of it feels really tense, depressing and anxious. Tracks like Torture, Lonely, and Float On are just really sad feeling. I like sad guy rap a lot when it actually goes into a proper topic and handles it well. Danny does an amazing job of that imo. Then you get stuff like Break It (Go) which is just a solid banger. Love that track.I really like how it is loaded with the EDM beats towards the back, then Float On after it. I think of it as the thoughts of Danny through the day, like dealing with his issues of his life, past and emotions, and then you get to the ravey parts and it is like the heights of one of his shows. poo poo is going wild, all over the place and it picks up. Then the show ends, Float On hits, and it is like him thinking "I can't do this forever, man. How did I even get here form where I was? Where am I going next?" It is like an existential crisis of what he is supposed to be, and he just kinda hides away from it all with drugs.

I really didn't like the structure of it when I first heard it, even though I liked the tracks. Then that sorta hit me how it was put together, and watching all his issues with poo poo like lean last year really put it all into perspective. Think I've listened to Old a few hundred times since it came out now. I've come around to think it was poorly structured to extremely well structured. But that is just my weird conjecture poo poo doing it for me.

I can definitely get how people would be disappointed if they were expecting something bigger, or something closer to XXX. Never been able to really give The Hybrid the chance it deserves, I always put it on and then think "Man, I wanna listen to Old so much now". I came in after a short while after XXX and never knew the Hybrid existed for a while, so I've kinda missed it. I just spent the whole time listening to XXX over and over because that album is also a killer.

What are the best tracks on it so I can give them a shot and then maybe listen to it all after I realise there are things to look forward to? Maybe crush my desire to switch right over to Old again.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

alansmithee posted:

I thought that was just Rob Sonic? For a bit of background, they had an album out before together (or the group did), and Rob Sonic had a couple albums out on Def Jux that are pretty solid. I also think he was maybe in the Atoms family but not 100% sure (I know Hangar 18 were).
Yeah I liked Rob Sonic's stuff on Def Jux, his raps are mostly whatever but I really like his production. He has earlier stuff too that's in the same style under the name Sonic Sum (may have been a collab with someone else? not sure). HMM didn't really follow the same uniform aesthetic that Telicatessen had, but it wasn't bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=709pgZ_BlmI

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Another Person posted:

What are the best tracks on it so I can give them a shot and then maybe listen to it all after I realise there are things to look forward to? Maybe crush my desire to switch right over to Old again.

Generation Rx
Greatest Rapper Ever
I'm out
Drinks on me
Re-up

But really it's all good

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Another Person posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying the dudes opinion was wrong. I was just stating my opinion. Didn't really give much of an argument for why tho, hah. I like how weird it all is. A lot of it feels really tense, depressing and anxious. Tracks like Torture, Lonely, and Float On are just really sad feeling. I like sad guy rap a lot when it actually goes into a proper topic and handles it well. Danny does an amazing job of that imo. Then you get stuff like Break It (Go) which is just a solid banger. Love that track.I really like how it is loaded with the EDM beats towards the back, then Float On after it. I think of it as the thoughts of Danny through the day, like dealing with his issues of his life, past and emotions, and then you get to the ravey parts and it is like the heights of one of his shows. poo poo is going wild, all over the place and it picks up. Then the show ends, Float On hits, and it is like him thinking "I can't do this forever, man. How did I even get here form where I was? Where am I going next?" It is like an existential crisis of what he is supposed to be, and he just kinda hides away from it all with drugs.

I really didn't like the structure of it when I first heard it, even though I liked the tracks. Then that sorta hit me how it was put together, and watching all his issues with poo poo like lean last year really put it all into perspective. Think I've listened to Old a few hundred times since it came out now. I've come around to think it was poorly structured to extremely well structured. But that is just my weird conjecture poo poo doing it for me.

I can definitely get how people would be disappointed if they were expecting something bigger, or something closer to XXX. Never been able to really give The Hybrid the chance it deserves, I always put it on and then think "Man, I wanna listen to Old so much now". I came in after a short while after XXX and never knew the Hybrid existed for a while, so I've kinda missed it. I just spent the whole time listening to XXX over and over because that album is also a killer.

First thing is it's not really like Old at all. It's much more in the vein of Krit Wuz Here, or the old Scarface/Z-ro street stuff. Productionwise it's not exactly like those (although there's some similarities) but the content is very similar. Has that same depressing tone. Which means that if you go into it expecting the lighter, bouncier tone of some of his later stuff you'll probably be disappointed. My main problem with Old is I don't like the festival songs nearly as much-dude's too good of a rapper to have his stuff obscured by allt he uptempo EDM beats.

Also my list of songs I'd pick from Hybrid are almost entirely different than the other dude's, but that shows the strength of the album imo. If I were to pick a handful I'd say Greatest Rapper Ever, New Era, Guitar Solo, The Nana Song, and probably Juno. But as was said, they're really all good.

And all that said, I don't think any of his albums are bad in the least, all of them are great (even the Black & Blue EP which is largely ignored). Also I'll probably relisten to Old soon to see if I think it's any better structured. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Bobby Shmurda is having way too much fun dancing by himself in his music videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6urRX_szKQ

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, listening to The Hybrid proper now and I am a drat mug for not giving this a proper listen through before, always gotta be stubborn and stick to what I know don't I? It's no Old for me, but drat it is real loving good.

Probs gonna give it a second run through when it ends

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Thank God is loving good too, probably my favorite. generation rx is close

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I just didn't like the production on Old at all. I don't really have a better way to put it than that. XXX was awesome and I was really excited for Old after ODB and Grown Up came out, but the album just did nothing for me whatsoever. Maybe I'll revisit it at some point and realize it's actually a masterpiece that I had overlooked or something, but as I'm still very new to rap in general I feel that my time is better spent exploring the music of other artists I'm less familiar with than re-listening to something I already heard and disliked.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm probably really in the minority when i say i didn't really like xxx, despite it being on in my car for ages so i know nearly every song by heart, nowadays there's only about 3 songs i'll actually listen to. the first half of old is one of the best things ever, the second half a bit of a letdown with the occasional serious banger, but i'm ok with that.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

So I have a friend who is an idiot and thinks Gucci Mane only has a "retarded flow". I'mma send him some songs to show Guwop actually has tons of different flows, any particular suggestion of tracks?

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Perfect Hair is Perfect. Really grandiose. Anybody else enjoy it? One of those albums with a super strong and end. Track in 9 in particular

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Another Person posted:

Float On is honestly one of my favorite rap songs of all time. It hits the same note that Book of Soul does, which is incredibly hard to pull off IMO.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

alansmithee posted:

And all that said, I don't think any of his albums are bad in the least, all of them are great (even the Black & Blue EP which is largely ignored). Also I'll probably relisten to Old soon to see if I think it's any better structured. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time.

Yeah I really enjoyed the collab with Black Milk, that guy can do no wrong

Old had to bring some different to the table to differentiate if from XXX and I feel that's why some of the side B tracks are so lairy; I respect that but I'm not a fan of quite a few tracks on Old and don't think XXX being considered a better complete album is contentious.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

So I have a friend who is an idiot and thinks Gucci Mane only has a "retarded flow". I'mma send him some songs to show Guwop actually has tons of different flows, any particular suggestion of tracks?

Your friend is right hth.

I mean even among dudes who like him, I don't think he was ever really considered to have a very varied delivery or be some good technical rapper.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Perfect Hair is Perfect. Really grandiose. Anybody else enjoy it? One of those albums with a super strong and end. Track in 9 in particular
It's one of my favorites of the year, easily one of the best albums this year. Definitely takes some time to get in to though.

And this year is actually shaping up to be a lot better than I think most people were expecting (including myself). I think there's not as many strong releases as last year (which had a ton), and some of the more high-profile things out this year disappointed, but there's actually been a lot of decent albums out the last couple months or so, and a few things that I've got on my radar that I've just not given the time to fully listen to yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

Dope Boys all day every day

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

alansmithee posted:

I mean even among dudes who like him, I don't think he was ever really considered to have a very varied delivery or be some good technical rapper.

Huh, I'm not talking about being technical, lyrical or anything like that. He does have lots of different flows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Speaking of Aesop Rock, somebody made a mashup album of him and Tom Waits if anyone is bored and interested.
http://aesopwaits.bandcamp.com/releases

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

Huh, I'm not talking about being technical, lyrical or anything like that. He does have lots of different flows.

Eh. Have your friend listen to "Me" and then "Hurry", I'm a gigantic Gucci fan and even I wouldn't say he has a ton of different flows but he can totally go off on occasion (Hurry, Can't Handle Me, etc)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

VisAbsoluta posted:

I mean, I can find you a random rear end song where he uses a different flow than on most of his poo poo (every rapper has a couple songs where they try something really different tho), but Gucci usually keeps it basic and delivers his lines either faster or slower.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i thought the retard flow combined with gucci-isms was his entire charm?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Cubey posted:

Good, hopefully that means Danny's next album won't be a giant letdown like Old was.

ive been following danny brown ever since i played a detroit house party with him in 2007 and you suck, old is fantastic

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Henchman of Santa posted:

Speaking of Aesop Rock, somebody made a mashup album of him and Tom Waits if anyone is bored and interested.

Holy poo poo, thanks for this. It's cool how the percussion tightens the whole thing up but somehow retains that messy Tom Waits lurch. Then the flow is a little hurried so you've got a slight off-kilter sound coming in from both sides.

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 8, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

This works surprisingly well.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

alansmithee posted:

My main problem with Old is I don't like the festival songs nearly as much-dude's too good of a rapper to have his stuff obscured by allt he uptempo EDM beats.

That's a pretty hollow criticism considering the album is literally divided by theme.

With that said I think Danny was kind of put in a lose-lose, but handled it wonderfully. People want stuff to sound more like the stuff they liked, but also criticize artists who don't "evolve" their sound (whatever that actually means). I think Danny hit a nice sweet spot between those conflicting desires.

Also mandatory "hawt drat" at Danny + el-P

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

HMM is really good. Whales is hilarious.

A fundraiser concert for the bowling alley!?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ed5osQYvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ijOe3sGEk

random danny and el p for yas

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

well, that second one is a necro beat actually

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yah i just meant verses not beats

e:

prayin for another danny brown x mfn collab this hot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ls0MaUTrU

:worship:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yah i just meant verses not beats

e:

prayin for another danny brown x mfn collab this hot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ls0MaUTrU

:worship:

they are both on a track on heems' nehru jackets also

they should do more together

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

VisAbsoluta posted:

Gucci Mane Faded = best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIBzWu_IAQ
I love this one even though v-nasty has the world's most annoying voice ever & should not rap/act tough ever. Seriously just listen to this one and skip over the parts with a girl's voice in it.

Gucci Mane & Big Sean - Brought out them Racks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVCga2VOJr0
This is great, it's everything I like about the man Gucci Mane. I feel like i'm in a video game watching this.

I really like Gucci Mane North Pole, for some reason, even though it's the world's most depressing song ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-VDqUxpcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HUOD5b8EI
It's goin' down reminds me of college, exactly. college was literally exactly like this for me. Not really, but you know what I mean. They played this at Frat/Sorority initiation week at college.

Kreayshawn should have just made an album full of songs just like "Gucci Gucci". Seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJFjXtHcy4
I would have bought that album by a female rapper.. there's a phrase I never thought I'd say.

ILoveMakonnen is pretty bad, but great for a fat guy with bad hair.. I like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFq9errZCk
This is literally the type of song that Drake was put on this earth to make.. his flow matches it exactly. You know how there was this big deal a few years back about how Drake isn't hard, & isn't badass, & everyone was making fun of him for basically not being Jay-Z even though he's signed with YoungMoney & has done plenty of professional records with Jay? Yeah no he is not a tuff-guy. He is made to make stuff exactly like this.

TheWeeknd - King of the Fallen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXBcwyMUrcU
Last, and greatest: TheWeeknd goes in with all the things I love about him: sex, drugs & rock-n-roll. JK everyone. Not those things. Girls, brags & disses.

I am not feeling the new Big Sean joint. He is just not that good of a rapper. the kid sounds like he inhaled a helium balloon before every piece of work he promotes.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dear god

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ok7SpbRhbA&t=32s

acksplode
May 17, 2004

El-P kinda look like Tim Heidecker in this

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

http://gotitforcheap.tumblr.com/post/101648950239/im-dying

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That's a pretty hollow criticism considering the album is literally divided by theme.

With that said I think Danny was kind of put in a lose-lose, but handled it wonderfully. People want stuff to sound more like the stuff they liked, but also criticize artists who don't "evolve" their sound (whatever that actually means). I think Danny hit a nice sweet spot between those conflicting desires.

How is it a hollow criticism? I said I didn't like them as much, not that they were bad, or poorly put together, or anything.

And Danny himself has talked about how he's changed his sound to cater to different audiences, it's not like it's some natural evolution. Dude still makes good music so w/e.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What's the new Big Sean joint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the one with the football music vid that has kanye i think? i dunno, havent heard it. sleeping on big sean for a reason.