Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Crosspostin from the 40k thread.

The board is just about done. Still need to redo the basing on several of the models to match the board and rest of the army. The spore eggs you see there, they glow from LEDs on the inside. Just doesn't show up on a photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What's a good primer for metal? I've been using Krylon Short Cuts Matte Black but it seems to rub off protruding details so easily that its hard to paint a basecoat.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Does it actually say primer on the can or is it just a regular old can of matte black spray?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ryoshi posted:

What's a good primer for metal? I've been using Krylon Short Cuts Matte Black but it seems to rub off protruding details so easily that its hard to paint a basecoat.

Rustoleum 2X Primer

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cross post from the terrain thread: I'm going to be painting a ton of MDF terrain this week, and want it to be durable and not warp - is there a way to spray PVA or a sealant so I don't warp the material with paint?

Also, much of the terrain will be stored flat and assembled as needed, so I'm thinking of spraying Klear lacquer between colors to keep the wear and tear to a minimum on the tab & slot areas. Does anyone know if this will work in the long run?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Does it actually say primer on the can or is it just a regular old can of matte black spray?

:doh:

In my defense it's what the guy at the hobby store suggested.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've never used a primer that didn't chip or wear off sharp edges or corners on metal if I handled it too much.

Make yourself a holder with a paint pot and some poster tack.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I've never used a primer that didn't chip or wear off sharp edges or corners on metal if I handled it too much.

Make yourself a holder with a paint pot and some poster tack.

Yeah. Well. Apparently I've never used a primer at all since my local GW closed shop.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

BULBASAUR posted:

Obviously this will make your white contrasted and dirty, which is an effect I love.

Thanks, I'm going to try gloss coating them and then doing an oil pen wash. From looking around the net it seems like it would produce the effect I want.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah. Well. Apparently I've never used a primer at all since my local GW closed shop.

GW primer is also just spray paint, sorry.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I have finished my Cathartes Aura Dreadnought. Let me know what you guys think.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

GW primer is also just spray paint, sorry.

Now I'm more confused than ever.

E: does this mean that using spray paint is more or less okay?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 8, 2014

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Ryoshi posted:

Now I'm more confused than ever.

E: does this mean that using spray paint is more or less okay?

Basically a good primer has a bit of "tooth" to it that lets the paint adhere to it better. Some matte/flat spray paints have that kind of "tooth" while others don't.

When in doubt, get some Vallejo Surface Primer. It's not a spray but it can be airbrushed, or just painted straight on with a brush (which makes it convenient for me, since I live in a humid area where spraying on primers and such is only an option for like 2 or 3 months out of the year).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

When in doubt, get some Vallejo Surface Primer.
Be careful to get their primer-primer and not primer-colored-paint-named-primer :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Be careful to get their primer-primer and not primer-colored-paint-named-primer :v:

:stare:

My world is all turned upside-down here.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

Vallejo Surface Primer is all primer. It's Model Air that has a color called Grey Primer which is not primer. :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Numlock posted:

Thanks, I'm going to try gloss coating them and then doing an oil pen wash. From looking around the net it seems like it would produce the effect I want.

Yep. You will have the same contrast, but less of the dirty grime. Post trip results!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Bulbasaur sent me a recipe for yellow which I'm in the middle of applying: http://imgur.com/a/RASTD

I need to touch up the shin guards a bit with another coat I think but I'm really pleased with how it's coming along. Washes and highlights are next which should be pretty much it. Airbrushes make vehicles so much easier. Though I'm not really sure where to go with the turbolasers, drybrush boltgun metal seems too boring.

panascope fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 8, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Took me less than a week, and maybe it shows but I finished painting all the figures from one of my sets of Shadows of Brimstone that just came in from Kickstarters.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

panascope posted:

Though I'm not really sure where to go with the turbolasers, drybrush boltgun metal seems too boring.

Hazard stripes. Always hazard stripes.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Can anyone point me in the direction of some high quality commission painters? Ideally North American based.

Looking to get a fair number of Infinity and Malifaux models painted.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BlackIronHeart posted:

Hazard stripes. Always hazard stripes.
Hazard stripes are why I have an Iron Warriors army. Always more hazard stripes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cyclomatic posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of some high quality commission painters? Ideally North American based.

Looking to get a fair number of Infinity and Malifaux models painted.

There's a few around here (myself included) who take commissions.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I finished painting a Kraken. Don't think i'm completely happy with it, not sure about the colour scheme really. Chipping fluid and the rust effects from AK Interactive is pretty great though, and super easy to use. Also tried using oil washes for the first time too.

Also finished Goreshade 3

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The colour scheme is great, it would pop so much more with a different base though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

There's a few around here (myself included) who take commissions.

Slimnoids legit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

Slimnoids legit.

Oh you :kimchi:

To wit: I've painted a lot of Malifaux over the years and am exceedingly good at them. Infinity, I've had no experience with, but since it's 28mm scale it's not like I'd have any problem with them.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 9, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So, what's the go-to starter airbrush stuff that's decent? I'm facing the reality airbrushing is something I'm going to have to get good at to paint my 30k vehicles so 'see if you like it first' isn't really a consideration. I am also going to be airbrushing in an apartment.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So, what's the go-to starter airbrush stuff that's decent? I'm facing the reality airbrushing is something I'm going to have to get good at to paint my 30k vehicles so 'see if you like it first' isn't really a consideration. I am also going to be airbrushing in an apartment.

I have to reccomend the Badger Patriot 105. Someone in this thread described it as the AK-47 of airbrushes and I agree hole heatedly. It's simple easy to clean and maintain and Badger themselves have good customer service goes wrong

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Bulbasaur sent me a recipe for yellow which I'm in the middle of applying: http://imgur.com/a/RASTD

I need to touch up the shin guards a bit with another coat I think but I'm really pleased with how it's coming along. Washes and highlights are next which should be pretty much it. Airbrushes make vehicles so much easier. Though I'm not really sure where to go with the turbolasers, drybrush boltgun metal seems too boring.

Just wait until you spray on the washes. The yellow will really come to life!

For the lasers you could do tin or copper color, highlighted with gold and finally silver.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 9, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Currently in the painting queue: three more Deathshroud. I'm actually pretty happy with the posing, which is usually not something I think I get right.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I've been working on painting up my Legion this year. I posted some of my shredders but I thought I had posted up my Carnivian I finished last spring but it looks like I never got around to taking pics of him.

Here is the Ravagore I finished this summer.

Since then Ive been testing some things with the humanoids. Here is the first one, the Shepherd, I went back and repainted some spots.

Vayl, still having issues with faces.

Right now I'm working on the Warspears picking up where I left off at the end of the summer after taking a couple months off. I need some primer so I can take advantage of the humidity being gone and get the rest of the legion I have primed for winter painting.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Those are gorgeous. Crop that poo poo so we can get a better look.

Haven't painted in forever but managed to finish these guys this weekend. Forgive the phone pics.

These buck-toothed motherfuckers are a bitch to paint, but the metals are fun. Guess which I have more of :ssmithicide:

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 10, 2014

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

The Sisko posted:

I have to reccomend the Badger Patriot 105. Someone in this thread described it as the AK-47 of airbrushes and I agree hole heatedly. It's simple easy to clean and maintain and Badger themselves have good customer service goes wrong

That brush is a .5mm out of the box. A .5mm is more for primer and base coats on large models. It looks like there is a .3mm conversion kit for that brush for around $20. So it seems like a good option. Even doing primer and base coats with an airbrush is such a life changing experience that the base purchase is good, and it will give them a good idea how much loving cleaning is involved in an airbrush. Airbrushes are like guns, black holes of cleaning. They can upgrade to a .3mm after they decide if it works for them but they want a .3mm.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cyclomatic posted:

That brush is a .5mm out of the box. A .5mm is more for primer and base coats on large models. It looks like there is a .3mm conversion kit for that brush for around $20. So it seems like a good option. Even doing primer and base coats with an airbrush is such a life changing experience that the base purchase is good, and it will give them a good idea how much loving cleaning is involved in an airbrush. Airbrushes are like guns, black holes of cleaning. They can upgrade to a .3mm after they decide if it works for them but they want a .3mm.

You'd be surprised. The Patriot is a .5mm needle but it's double tapered which means unless you're really opening it up all the way it's not that big a spray pattern. I use it for all but the tiniest detail. It's not like it's a spray can or you can only use it on tanks. You won't be painting eyes with it but it's still useful for more than just basing and priming, though you are right that those are huge benefits by themselves.

As for cleaning, there's some but the Patriot is really good about that. I was the one who compared it to an AK-47 and I stand by that, it's pretty easy to clean and resilient compared to the Sotar. Which, as an example of why needle size isn't everything, I have the Medium needle in the Sotar which is .45, and is WAY more finicky and detail-y than the supposedly .5 Patriot, much more of a difference than you would think .05mm would make. When I had the Fine needle on the Sotar, which I think is .2mm, I could barely get ink to spray nicely through it, much less paint.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah I have the gravity feed version of the patriot and I love it. I went and got a thinner needle for it, a .3 I think, and I expect that to be my go to for pretty much everything.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ijyt posted:

Welp, I'm going to have to experiment with all of the above red shading suggestions. I've been using crimson to shade my red for my Minotaurs, but the other options might be interesting. A bit too late for my Tau though.

Also, regarding colour choices, I'm having a hell of a time deciding what to paint my Skaven's hoods as. I'm not sure I want to paint them leathery, as most of them will have a shade of brown for fur. I've been toying with giving some of them pirate-y blue and white stripes but I'm not sure how'd that look on such small models. Green is out due to plague monks and warpstone reserving that colour.

Would love to have some ideas bounced off.

You think about keeping them gray? I actually really like them how they are currently.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

(edit: took some more)

I already posted a pic of this guy before, but this is a new picture taken in my attempt to figure out how to take better photos.

I think it came out decent this time. Does anyone think it is too dark or see anything wrong with the photo? Is the shadow from the axe too much? Be a total dick about it, only way I'll sort it out.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 10, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think the blue-white color of the inlay on his armor is a little too close in value to the grey of his fur so you can't really see it. And now that I think of it so is the metal of his armor. With the Aztec-y stuff he has going on a bronze or goldish armor might make more sense.

Other than that I like the scheme a lot, the orangey brown leather is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Attempting a group shot on some old stuff.

Second shot shows what happens when you clean your lens...

Edit: some more

Kromac group shot with the WIP stalker that I'll never finish.

Kraye, best Cygnar warcaster.

Guildball proxy I used to try and find a Morticians color scheme. First attempt at trying to paint half full glass vials, sort of gave up after they didn't work out too well.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 10, 2014

• Locked thread