Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit

Shannow posted:

The realisation that I've yet to play a game on the Golden Gate Bridge map, as every time it's started to laod it's timed out.
I had this same issue, certain maps just will not load if you have shader precache on. Turning it off fixed it for me but my framerate is super jittery for the first minute or so on the affected maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
is anyone able to invite into the advanced goonfare steam group? been idling for a while now and also sent you an invite dreffen but no luck getting in? wanna play with some goons...

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Did anyone buy the disc-based version? I'm trying to find out how many discs are in it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My cutscene audio and video are out of sync, this is ruining my Spacey immersion.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RiperSnifler posted:

I had this same issue, certain maps just will not load if you have shader precache on. Turning it off fixed it for me but my framerate is super jittery for the first minute or so on the affected maps.

Amusingly I was having loading problems after the first day until I turned it on. Now I can load maps again. :shrug:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Last King posted:

is anyone able to invite into the advanced goonfare steam group? been idling for a while now and also sent you an invite dreffen but no luck getting in? wanna play with some goons...

Sorry! I've been back and forth a bunch so I didn't catch my friends list. Sent you an invite just now, though.

e: Made it public for now in case I muck up and miss anyone else.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My cutscene audio and video are out of sync, this is ruining my Spacey immersion.

Turn off shader preload during cinematics. Also turn off Cache Sun,Spot Shadow Maps to prevent textures from not loading and blurring to poo poo.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

r0ck0 posted:

Turn off shader preload during cinematics. Also turn off Cache Sun,Spot Shadow Maps to prevent textures from not loading and blurring to poo poo.

All of those are off :/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Seems global. Current rumor is that the game prefers trueskill matchmaking to ping but its unconfirmed. Basically even if there a game two feet from you, its gonna choose the game in Ukraine because that dude is close to you in skill.

Which is hilarious to me, because 90% of the games I play are woefully mismatched. Usually 3/4 of the enemy team are pushing rank 40+ if any of my team is at all

But then again rank doesn't equate skill I suppose, since most of them are still pretty horrible at shooting men

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

All of those are off :/

What I did is as soon as a cutscene started I brought up my steam overlay. This pauses the game as soon as the cutscene ends. Then I save and quit to the main menu, and I click "resume game" and it starts the mission again but this time with the audio synced correctly.

This is literally in the OP

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

neurotech posted:

Did anyone buy the disc-based version? I'm trying to find out how many discs are in it.

It has six discs.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
In the old COD's I used to love shooting down UAVs. The new AA launcher is so slow and cumbersome its not even worth it considering the speed and mobility everyone has. By the time I've whipped it out and am aiming at the UAV (If I can see it, there is so many objects blocking the skybox) I'm usually already dead.

Also; Holy hanna, you have to play a ton of co-op matches to unlock zombies. I just saw a quick video on how to and its 50 matches on each tier 1 map, 75 on tier 2 maps. I stopped paying attention after that. Crikey.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 8, 2014

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Apthous posted:

It used to be that when your computer got old newer games would just run slowly. The last time I encountered a game that simply couldn't run because of hardware was back around 2000 (or before or whenever that was) when you first started needing dedicated GPUs to play games. I can understand that somewhat, but like I said the fact that AW can run on a loving Xbox 360 which came out in 2005 makes me mad as gently caress that it can't run on my graphics card which came out in late 2008. And there is no loving way that there has been such a loving advancement in graphics from dx9 to dx11 that requires some massive change in hardware. AW looks arguably worse than loving bf3 in some places.

The fact that there is requirement for the game to run on dx11 and nothing else tells me that either the developers were too loving lazy to code in support for lower versions of dx (civ 5 gave you the option of running the game in lower versions of dx), or someone stands to make money from forcing people to buy new video cards.

Yes I know I could just spring the money for a new card that supports dx11, but its the principle of the loving thing at this point. I don't like being jerked around and told what to do by either lazy programmers or corrupt businessmen.

Jesus Christ you are retarded

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

dreffen posted:

Sorry! I've been back and forth a bunch so I didn't catch my friends list. Sent you an invite just now, though.

e: Made it public for now in case I muck up and miss anyone else.

got it, thanks!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Minimalist Program posted:

Jesus Christ you are retarded

HEY who let you out of the Uli thread

Don't make me get the hose

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

HEY who let you out of the Uli thread

Don't make me get the hose

I am drawn to all kinds of retarded ppl, actually

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I open this thread constantly hoping people are talking about+playing call of duty 1

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ethanol posted:

I open this thread constantly hoping people are talking about+playing call of duty 1

Call of Duty started becoming bad when it started coming out on consoles.

Coincidence??????????????

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

ethanol posted:

World at War was the best of the Second World War CoD's.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

NuckmasterJ posted:

In the old COD's I used to love shooting down UAVs. The new AA launcher is so slow and cumbersome its not even worth it considering the speed and mobility everyone has. By the time I've whipped it out and am aiming at the UAV (If I can see it, there is so many objects blocking the skybox) I'm usually already dead.

Also; Holy hanna, you have to play a ton of co-op matches to unlock zombies. I just saw a quick video on how to and its 50 matches on each tier 1 map, 75 on tier 2 maps. I stopped paying attention after that. Crikey.

Its not 50 matches its 50 waves, that is in total not at once. Also it can all be done at once on one map. A couple of goons and myself blasted through 50 waves on a single tier 1 map and that unlocked tier 2 maps.

I ran into a fun problem. I was playing the single player section and the game locked up I had to reset my computer. I re run the game and load it up and all my progress and settings are gone. Rip getting those last two achievements.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
So I finally pieced together all the drama with Sledgehammer, Respawn, and Infinity Ward. These loving people are literally worse than rappers with all of their loving drama and beef. Is it possible to make a loving game without acting like a loving child who causes a scene because someone disrespected them or smudged their Puma's or something?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Apthous posted:

So I finally pieced together all the drama with Sledgehammer, Respawn, and Infinity Ward. These loving people are literally worse than rappers with all of their loving drama and beef. Is it possible to make a loving game without acting like a loving child who causes a scene because someone disrespected them or smudged their Puma's or something?

Well don't leave me in suspense.

I didn't even know there was drama, isn't it just make game, release game, profit?

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Sappo569 posted:

I didn't even know there was drama, isn't it just make game, release game, profit?

Well I guess they take in account also reputation as a company and all that drama stuff. New COD is Titan Fall imo anyways lol

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Sappo569 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward#Dismissal_of_senior_employees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respawn_Entertainment#History

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Apthous posted:

It's hardly 2pac vs Biggie... Activision was trying to stiff IW out of millions of dollars in royalties, so all the talented people from IW quit, sued the poo poo out of ATVI and formed a new studio. The end.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

It's hardly 2pac vs Biggie... Activision was trying to stiff IW out of millions of dollars in royalties, so all the talented people from IW quit, sued the poo poo out of ATVI and formed a new studio. The end.

Actually, what happened was Activision fired the two leads from IW after Modern Warfare 2 was released and that caused a mass exodus (something like 25% of the studio, all senior employees as well) from IW and the result was Respawn and their new IP Titanfall. It wasn't so much drama as it was Bobby Kotick being an open-prick back then (he has since toned it down likely muzzled by his PR people).

But, yeah, there is a lot of loving drama involving man-children in game development who apparently never emotionally matured into adults and throw tantrums and huffs and over-react to small sleights instead of talking things out and cooling off before doing so while being rational. The whole IW incident wasn't that.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 10, 2014

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not to be an Activision apologist, but regarding one of those quotes in the OP: What on earth are you doing with a dual-core CPU and 970 GTX?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
What actually persists when you prestige? Challenge progress and camos/badges?

Also goddamn, the akimbo SMGs are amazing.

Edit: gently caress, nevermind. A loading tip literally just told me.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Challenge progress is supposed to persist when you prestige, but a bug is making it reset. Its supposed to be fixed in the upcoming patch. http://charlieintel.com/2014/11/07/shgames-says-advanced-warfare-runs-dedicated-listen-servers-details-upcoming-fixes/

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Why are people saying single player was good?
It was as generic as it was in Ghosts, and due crappy future setting, everything is even more generic and dumb.

Guns & tech
Why would one, in the era of killer drones and walking tanks need bunch of infantrymen anyway? Especially ones with almost no body armor, in exoskeleton over t-shirts and BDU pants. Second degree burns ahoy!
All future weapons in game are dumb and generic. Here's a pew pew laser rifle thing. Here's 50 different unmemorable submachine gun things. Look, they show bullet count in hologram!
Old games at least let you hold P90 or AK47, relating to something many can't do in real world. Future guns just look and feel like expensive nerf guns.
Turrets and such are even more boring. None of that AC-130 operator feel nor wow-moment.

Drama
Well, you don't play a dying character in this game. And your character talks every now and then. And has fabulous curls.
Then again, therefore you have no CoD™ moments like fpv experience of execution of the middle eastern leader, eating a nuke, flying SR-71 Blackbird, being in space, strangling Makarov, etc etc.
Which turns CoD into generic shooter #9402 and makes me wonder why I bother with single player at all. BLOPS2 had future AND shooting RPG on horseback.

Sound
At least sounds were good. When they weren't in cutscenes and unsynchronized. But I can't remember single track from soundtrack, therefore it has failed. There's NOTHING even remotely as good as this.

So... meh.

Multiplayer seems to be one-trick pony, no gun seem to be really good, all killscorestreaks have nothing on MW2 (why make remote turret manual?!), in fact, there's no point in bothering with scorestreaks at all.
There also doesn't seem any point to play anything besides Domination also, and even if you wanted to, matchmaking will fail to find any other as brave - if not now, then in 1-2 months for sure.
At least they didn't scrap the points-per-equipment loadout thing, which I like.
Narrators really suck. Perhaps it's just matter of taste, but guys barking at you during multiplayer just sound bad.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 10, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
biggest problem with the campaign was how lightweight and awful the gunplay felt. Thats kind of CoDs bag, at this point, but it's really crazy going from this back to a BF game and seeing just how ferocious a BF gunfight is compared to this.

Theres a real lack of oomph in all gunplay departments. Guns make boring toop toop toop toop without any of the environmental reactivity that helps so much in other games. (That is, standing on an open plain, standing in a tunnel, the gun sounds the same, small feature, makes a big difference.)

When you hit a dude he doesn't really react until he dies, which becomes pretty noticable once those slightly tougher red helmeted guys turn up in campaign. Theres blood spraying around but this hardcore corporate warrior gives no shits. When they do die, the death animation frequently has gently caress all to do with how you killed them.

Lastly, the recoils weak and stiff feeling, and I've noticed that for some guns, for no reason I can tell, the gun doesn't kick every 3rd bullet or so. Very odd. Even if they want accurate gunplay, some purely visual effects to make the guns seem a bit more dramatic wouldn't go amiss. Screenshake, something. As it is everything feels puny as gently caress.

Campaign has some fun and creative bits, with the underground arctic battle probably being a highlight. It's a shame the threat grenade and all the highlighting scopes turn the game even more into head clicker.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I liked the campaign, perhaps you two are victims of #gamergate?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Knifegrab posted:

I liked the campaign, perhaps you two are victims of #gamergate?

In the end I thought it was OK. It had some standout bits, but the core gunplay dragged it down a fair bit.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

ShineDog posted:

In the end I thought it was OK. It had some standout bits, but the core gunplay dragged it down a fair bit.

I always view the COD campaigns as Michael Bay movies. A whole lot of fun with very little substance. No staying power but an enjoyable experience.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Knifegrab posted:

I always view the COD campaigns as Michael Bay movies. A whole lot of fun with very little substance. No staying power but an enjoyable experience.

Sure, but I think the guns being exciting to shoot at a dude speaks to the mindless thrill part of the game as much as the "good shooter" part.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Speaking of Bay,
I do understand if Michael Bay thinks that computers in the future listen to briefing in the room and show animated map of whatever your commander is barking you at this very moment to go along with the briefing (MS-Powerpoint 2030?). And that military software features blue, broken-looking rectangles at the edges, neon colors everywhere, random lines scrolling and rotating mission markers.

I do not understand if actual game programmers and designers do exactly same poo poo.

Everything about this crap just infuriates me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shumagorath posted:

Not to be an Activision apologist, but regarding one of those quotes in the OP: What on earth are you doing with a dual-core CPU and 970 GTX?

Hey, if he got a new CPU he'd have to get a new motherboard and all this other junk, man! Its easier to just keep buying newer and newer video cards, I mean that works just as well right? :downs:

Knifegrab posted:

But I don't think Bay movies are an enjoyable experience :smith:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i watched shooter the night before i saw the new transformers with marky mark and that made it a much more enjoyable experience imo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

i watched shooter the night before i saw the new transformers with marky mark and that made it a much more enjoyable experience imo

that sounds like a terrible couple of nights, hope you've regained your sanity since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the gun that had an integrated 3D printer or something.

• Locked thread