Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

gently caress YOU BEANS CHALLENGE

gently caress

YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Just fought a boss called The Adversary, that I don't remember seeing anyone talk about. Looks kinda like Azazel, but with bandages all over. He fights with a curving Brimstone, making the screen dark, and making earthquakes from slamming the ground.

Hate him so incredibly much. I might just not have figured it out yet, but it seems like you're more or less bound to take damage when he decides to fire his brimstone. He has a curved brimstone. Curved. Brimstone. (Actually I'm pretty sure it's homing, as hosed up as that sounds)
It's okay, I didn't want those hearts anyway :negative:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So is there anything after Mega Satan or is he the very last boss? How do you go about opening his door in the chest? And is there any news on the undiscovered playable character yet or how to unlock him?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Wow Mega Satan fight made my heart pound. That was intense.

Yeah I just beat him with Lazarus after accidentally walking over the angel pedestal in an angel room with a stompy upgrade, killing the angel, and discovering half a key. Got the 2nd angel room after killing Mom. Having 2 fly orbitals, a ball of bandages, and an extra yellow attack fly orbital was def the reason I survived it. Glad I managed to open that door, but it seems like such a pain to get those conditions in the future.

Is anything else unlocked by killing Mega Satan other than the start screen change?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

PureQuestion posted:

Yeah Samson seems way, way stronger for me.

Isaac is also worse, </3 D6 nerfs :(

Worse, but still super super good.

Your Computer posted:

Hate him so incredibly much. I might just not have figured it out yet, but it seems like you're more or less bound to take damage when he decides to fire his brimstone. He has a curved brimstone. Curved. Brimstone. (Actually I'm pretty sure it's homing, as hosed up as that sounds)
It's okay, I didn't want those hearts anyway :negative:

So there are two bosses that look super similar and I always get them confused. Adversary vs The Dark One. The one who shoots the curved Brimstone that you're talking about is The Dark One I think.

Anyhow, he has 3 attacks: Spawn spiders, turn the room dark and smash down on the ground, curved brimstone. He does unique animations for all of them that let you predict, but that's kind of hard to do, easier to just rotate around to his side every time he's about to do an attack. If you do that you dodge the brimstone every time, you just need to move early enough.

Logan 5 posted:

Is anything else unlocked by killing Mega Satan other than the start screen change?

Somehow you can unlock "The Lost", a super secret character, but nobody has figured out exactly how yet.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Just fought a boss called The Adversary, that I don't remember seeing anyone talk about. Looks kinda like Azazel, but with bandages all over. He fights with a curving Brimstone, making the screen dark, and making earthquakes from slamming the ground.

Yeah I hate that guy. He's the "undead" version of The Dark One, ala Monstro II, The Hollow, and all the other bosses in that vein.

I hate The Dark One also, for that matter.

THAT SAID. I have never actually been hit by the Adversary's brimstone. It's got a massive verticle blindspot; he never seems to hit with it as long as you're below him.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Read posted:

So there are two bosses that look super similar and I always get them confused. Adversary vs The Dark One. The one who shoots the curved Brimstone that you're talking about is The Dark One I think.

Anyhow, he has 3 attacks: Spawn spiders, turn the room dark and smash down on the ground, curved brimstone. He does unique animations for all of them that let you predict, but that's kind of hard to do, easier to just rotate around to his side every time he's about to do an attack. If you do that you dodge the brimstone every time, you just need to move early enough.

Somehow you can unlock "The Lost", a super secret character, but nobody has figured out exactly how yet.

Ah, ok. I really hope it isnt something like kill mega satan with every character, that'd be a pain. Hope that isnt where the 500 hours figure comes from!

And no actually, you have them mixed up again. The Adversary is the harder version of The Dark One, looks similar but covered in bandages. The Dark One just fires normal Brimstone, not homing iirc.

I once got a double boss room with two Adversaries :stonk:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Einwand posted:

Mega Satan is cool and I'm kind of disappointed there was nothing locked behind killing him but an ending. I don't think you even get credit for the chest/dark room for killing him instead if you're trying to unlock stuff.
I wonder if you need to take the missing poster and beat mega satan for something? The missing poster has something to do with it. Well unless you need to take the missing poster to fight Isaac/a different boss.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

For some reason I've fought Ultra Pride three times so far, but have yet to see normal or super pride.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Thanks, game. I really appreciate it.

This was with after a particularly grueling Eve boss rush.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it just me or is Cain garbage with the lucky foot changes? He and Samson both feel significantly worse in Rebirth.

Cain is worse. Not sure how you can say the same about Samson though. The bloodlust item is significantly better than it was in the original since it carries with you throughout the floor. Clear out the entire floor and you take out the boss easily with your upgraded tears. I seriously doubt I'll play Cain much anymore he just isn't very good.

Judas is probably still my favorite though. Just had a really good run with him. I feel like with him, I can counteract the lovely RNG the game likes to dish out at times due to the fact that his base damage + Book of Belial can carry you to the end. All you really need is maybe one or two more damage items and some health.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

I bet the words to the Cathedral's song have something to do with the secret people haven't found yet.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Oxyclean posted:

Key beggars suck. I've never gotten anything good from one. Why cant there be bomb beggars? I usually have plenty of bombs.
Key beggars are amazing if you actually have keys to burn. They do payout with items but more importantly their pickup payouts are all chests.

With flat penny or 1+1 you can actually gain keys by playing them. Gold and red chests can be items so you can get multiple item pedestals from 1 key beggar.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Logan 5 posted:

Ah, ok. I really hope it isnt something like kill mega satan with every character, that'd be a pain. Hope that isnt where the 500 hours figure comes from!

Why would 10 runs take 500 hours...

(it's not that though, because people have done it)

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Just in case anyone else has been avoiding it like I have, guppy's hairball now actually counts towards becoming guppy, so I guess there's SOME use for it now

Edit: nevermind I made a mistake

DOPE FIEND KILLA G fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 8, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Spoon Bender + Ludovico Technique behaves bizarrely during the Mom fight and was not very helpful at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sanctum posted:

Key beggars are amazing if you actually have keys to burn. They do payout with items but more importantly their pickup payouts are all chests.

With flat penny or 1+1 you can actually gain keys by playing them. Gold and red chests can be items so you can get multiple item pedestals from 1 key beggar.

He also has a chance to drop items like the paperclip lockpicking accessory which makes him entirely worth it in my opinion.

Also, I totally agree there should be a bomb beggar though.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Do you have to do something to unlock the XL floors? I have not gotten a single one yet.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

nogic posted:

Do you have to do something to unlock the XL floors? I have not gotten a single one yet.

Curses seem to be super rare until Everything is Terrible happens (even then they're still rare?), but they show up a lot on Hard. In the original, they showed up more once you beat the Cathedral, so maybe something similar happens here too.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Brett824 posted:

Why would 10 runs take 500 hours...

(it's not that though, because people have done it)

It wouldn't, it just seems like getting the two angel rooms in a run would necessitate a lot of luck. At least I havent seem them that much.

Guess I'm wrong anyway though so it doesn't matter. Of course people have already done it, what am I thinking?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

Curses seem to be super rare until Everything is Terrible happens (even then they're still rare?), but they show up a lot on Hard. In the original, they showed up more once you beat the Cathedral, so maybe something similar happens here too.

Even then, XL floors are one of the rarer curses so far. I get Lost, Maze, Darkness and Unknown all the time but Blind and Labyrinth are much less common.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Beat my first Sheol run. Magnetic tears and the ludovico shot make bosses so easy when you can just push them around into their own bombs. I had poison and slow shots too, so I just parked it on Mom's heart and :derp:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do you still have to pick up every space bar item you see even if you don't want it to take it out of the item pool, or has that been changed from BOI1.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

drunken officeparty posted:

Do you still have to pick up every space bar item you see even if you don't want it to take it out of the item pool, or has that been changed from BOI1.

That wasn't even true for every space bar item in the original! I do it just to be safe in Rebirth though.

e: To clarify

In the original BoI, seeing any item (space bar or not) removes one entry of it from the pool. If the item is only in that pool once and in no other pools, you will never see it again. Picking it up and putting it back down only matters if it's in multiple pools or is in a pool multiple times, in which case it prevents you from seeing it again completely (but it doesn't actually remove it from those pools, as an interesting side note, which is the source of the game crashing when you empty your main pool sometimes). The exception to this is the library and angel room pools, which never have any items removed on sight.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 8, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I know people hate Monstro's Lung and Chocolate Milk but you put them together on Samson and let him take like two hits and you can one shot every boss. Easiest run yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is Ludovico locked behind a challenge? I've done 50 runs or so and have yet to see it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah it's just bad luck on your part

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Logan 5 posted:

It wouldn't, it just seems like getting the two angel rooms in a run would necessitate a lot of luck. At least I havent seem them that much.

It isn't really a huge luck factor if you're good, since you can practically guarantee them spawning if you take no damage on a floor, skip devil rooms and dont pick up items that give "evil up". I have a feeling that even entering devil rooms decreases the odds of angel rooms, I'm not certain though.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

EvilMike posted:

It isn't really a huge luck factor if you're good, since you can practically guarantee them spawning if you take no damage on a floor, skip devil rooms and dont pick up items that give "evil up". I have a feeling that even entering devil rooms decreases the odds of angel rooms, I'm not certain though.

It's probably me then, I've taken a lot of devil room offers since I've started. I guess I'll try and resist the temptation, see more of what they have to offer. In general though they've usually underwhelmed me.

I am doing a azazel run for the boss rush, which I just cleared easily in 17 minutes total because I have 6 hearts, full damage, full tears up and the cancer trinket (like half a second charge!), and Tammy's Head... with the 9 Volt which recharges it in the room. e: oh yeah and my brimstone is shielded too :buddy:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just had the game freeze on my PS4, and I thought we were safe :negative:

Nothing fancy going on at all, was maybe 10 minutes into a run on Caves 2 with like 4 items on Judas and it just froze, music kept going and all.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Just beat boss rush for the first time. I agree with an earlier post: Seems like once you 'tip' towards overpowered, you go ALL THE WAY.

Is there any bonus for beating boss rush multiple times, or just The Nail for the first time?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Is there any bonus for beating boss rush multiple times, or just The Nail for the first time?

There is a reward for every character.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

Just beat boss rush for the first time. I agree with an earlier post: Seems like once you 'tip' towards overpowered, you go ALL THE WAY.

Every character unlocks something different from it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Had a run with Eden go all the way to the Cathedral (still working on the polaroid), keep taking stupid hits and I run into the boss fight with 3 hp. It's a really close fight, my items aren't amazing (really glad they changed the mechanics) but I die to the very last tear as I kill him...

... and respawn with Guppy's Collar, which I'd completely forgotten about. I actually shouted out loud, I was so tense.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

dyzzy posted:

Had a run with Eden go all the way to the Cathedral (still working on the polaroid), keep taking stupid hits and I run into the boss fight with 3 hp. It's a really close fight, my items aren't amazing (really glad they changed the mechanics) but I die to the very last tear as I kill him...

... and respawn with Guppy's Collar, which I'd completely forgotten about. I actually shouted out loud, I was so tense.

I had the same "OH gently caress NO- WAIT :getin:" moment fighting Mom's Heart as Lazarus. It was my second time getting to the new Heart so the bullet hell upgrade was throwing me for a loop, and I had completely forgotten about his gimmick in the tensity of the boss fight. I died two hits before the end - and popped right back up long enough to seal the deal.

And then got chump-killed instantly by the final ring as it died :suicide:

(Mercifully, the game still gives you credit for a Womb ending if that gets you!)

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Jeez how rare is the small rock now? Haven't gotten it a single time yet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I just got a Forever Alone fly from a key begger. They do pay out!

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Did you actually unlock it yet? You have to bomb 100 tinted rocks to unlock it. You may have unlocked the lucky rock.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Unlike the original, you have to unlock it. I don't know what I did to unlock it, I think it was from blowing up a lot of X marked rocks though.

Still haven't seen it since then though

e: anyone know what the D4 does? I unlocked it at some point, but I forget how/why.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.
Is it just me or is Bob's Brain kind of the worst familiar? I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if it weren't SO random. It regularly zips across the room to explode on an enemy, only to come back to blow up the fly right next to me. :confused:

Also, had a pretty hilarious run in which I got The Ludovico Technique as Azazel. Would enter a room and just annihilate everything. Got to Mom's Heart while hardly taking any damage.