Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

guppiehaus posted:

Haha I'm going to be honest and admit I did not know that, though I feel like an idiot now for not putting two and two together!

Re-reading my own sentence, I sound condescending without meaning to. :saddowns:

Your post reminded me to listen to "Burning" by Whitest Boy Alive though, which I probably won't get out of my head for days now! → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAWurnyKZUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

the new TVOTR is great and I would recommend everyone seek it out in the corners of the internet where you'd find that sort of thing

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Re-reading my own sentence, I sound condescending without meaning to. :saddowns:

Your post reminded me to listen to "Burning" by Whitest Boy Alive though, which I probably won't get out of my head for days now! → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAWurnyKZUM

Not at all. Haha oh poo poo this song is a huge nostalgia kick. Love it.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

guppiehaus posted:

Owen Pallet is a prolific, and very talented artist. He's worked to help produce and feature with several artists, does solo work under his own name including neat little covers for bands like Stars, and recently played the strings for Warren Hildebrand's Foxes In Fiction, Ontario Gothic. If you remember Memory Pools, Ontario Gothic is in a similar vein. It capitalizes on the simple, layered dreamy melodies that made Memory Pools a real pleasure to listen to. I honestly wish this guy would get a bit more exposure so here's 3 tracks of his that I think are great; 2 from his new release and 1 from Memory Pools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAar5UvgDeY <- Memory Pools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBJVfPG_E8 <- Ontario Gothic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aV1mm4MAUg

Didn't he also get nominated for an Oscar for composing the music for Her?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Khorne Flakes posted:

I discovered Ex Hex a few days ago and was able to catch them live last night, they were awesome. All girl punk-rock pop trio. I would say they sound close to The Men and and a faster paced Dum Dum girls. They just released their first album this month and it's getting great reviews.

New Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKu2U61QMM

Don't Want To Lose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZVn1UrCvjc
Thanks for this, I've been listening to them a lot.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Thanks for this, I've been listening to them a lot.

I just happened to stumble upon them about a day before playing a small venue near me and they have turned into my favorite sleeper album of the year. I recommend them to everyone.

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010

Rockzilla posted:

Didn't he also get nominated for an Oscar for composing the music for Her?

Apparently so :) Did not know that. I also did not know he worked with Taylor Swift. Guy can play the violin that's for sure.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

I saw Owen play at Glasslands in May, and just picked up my tix to go see him again in January at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Pretty excited. Absolutely my favorite artist currently making music.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Saw Death from Above 1979 last night.

Picture from where I was standing, zoomed in somewhat. I've noticed that it's REALLY hard to take good pictures at a concert with my phone (Galaxy S4) though as it's got this weird issue about restarting a lot lately I should be getting a new one ASAP.

This is the only video I could find that didn't sound horrendously distorted most likely because it was shot form the gallery but, it gives a good view of the overall nature of the venue despite being terribly short. The blue light you say at the very beginning of the video on the bottom left is the bar, and I was standing directly in front of that area since we got there half way through the opening act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ccnLuOxWM

Was at a relatively small venue, probably 1000 people total. The only thing they really said all night was yelling at some people moshing up front to make sure they weren't breaking anyone's necks. The music was loud as hell, noisy, and really awesome to move with. I saw it in downtown dallas where they have redone a lot of old theaters, that tend to look really artsy but have pretty bad acoustics by modern standards so it was actually hard to understand any of the vocals (not that it really matters for DFA) but, was a little bit more of an issue for the opening act as they were a much more hard rock style group. As a previous poster said above it's absolutely insane how awesome one guy on bass and another guy on drums can sound. My ears are still ringing this morning and I feel like it'll probably be another day before my hearing returns to normal (if I see them again I'll definitely get ear plugs).

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 9, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I saw them at Fun Fun Fun Fest this weekend and it was great. I love those guys, second time seeing them here in Austin. I also saw Neutral Milk Hotel and didn't really get into it much (never heard these before this weekend). My friends were really stoked though and it was cool, they had a sign that said no photography before the set which was kinda weird (even on cellphones). After 5 songs I left, I can appreciate them but not really my thing. They sounded good though, and Jeff Magnum has a huge beard.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I saw them at Fun Fun Fun Fest this weekend and it was great. I love those guys, second time seeing them here in Austin. I also saw Neutral Milk Hotel and didn't really get into it much (never heard these before this weekend). My friends were really stoked though and it was cool, they had a sign that said no photography before the set which was kinda weird (even on cellphones). After 5 songs I left, I can appreciate them but not really my thing. They sounded good though, and Jeff Magnum has a huge beard.

Someone at DFA had a NMH shirt, it's somewhat of a "unique" band that I'd have to see in a certain context to really enjoy (small indoor venue). I don't think they lend well to a large open one like you'd have at a festival. I'm going to see Spoon (or at least planning on it) in the first week of December at the Moody with a friend that I'm driving four hours for and dropping more money than I should on for a band I'm not CRAZY about but, I've sort of become addicted to concert going at this point.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

jiffypop45 posted:

Someone at DFA had a NMH shirt, it's somewhat of a "unique" band that I'd have to see in a certain context to really enjoy (small indoor venue). I don't think they lend well to a large open one like you'd have at a festival. I'm going to see Spoon (or at least planning on it) in the first week of December at the Moody with a friend that I'm driving four hours for and dropping more money than I should on for a band I'm not CRAZY about but, I've sort of become addicted to concert going at this point.

I saw NMH twice this year (Prospect Park and Coachella) and they were incredible both times. They do well in a festival atmosphere

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bubblelubble posted:

There's a new Damien Rice album coming out, and I am SUPER. FREAKING. PUMPED. FOR IT!!!!! And if you thrust your condescension in my face, you should know that I/we have been waiting YEARSSSSS for this baby to arrive. Goddamn it :arghfist:
Just a reminder that Damien Rice's new album My Favourite Faded Fantasy came out on Oct 31. Here's a sample:
https://soundcloud.com/damienrice/the-greatest-bastard

Oh yeah, and Hem recently released a music video for The Jack Pine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_56fNC87V0

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 11, 2014

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

krnhotwings posted:

Just a reminder that Damien Rice's new album My Favourite Faded Fantasy came out on Oct 31. Here's a sample:
https://soundcloud.com/damienrice/the-greatest-bastard

NPR is currently streaming the complete Damien Rice album: http://www.npr.org/2014/11/02/359335290/first-listen-damien-rice-my-favourite-faded-fantasy

I quickly flipped through the songs yesterday, and they seem a bit samey. "My Favourite Faded Fantasy" and "The Greatest Bastard" were pretty good though. Compared to some of his older songs, however, I would like a bit more variety (think of something like "I Remember") and some more outbursts. That said, it's not a bad album.

edit: variance != variety

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 11, 2014

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
I've hated every single song I've ever heard of Ariel Pink on Sirius XMU but holy poo poo this new song of his is the best loving thing I've heard in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS87mPfD_yI

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Gruff Rhys's second film, American Interior, is currently streaming for free. I haven't seen it yet, but I love the album and have seen an awesome show on the American Interior tour, so I am excited:

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/american-interior/

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Got another download code from a vinyl purchase if anyone's interested. It's for Cursive's 10 year anniversary re-release of The Ugly Organ. It includes 7 b - sides (several that I've never heard, and I'm a pretty huge Cursive fan).

Saddle-creek.com/digitalvinyl
Code: Z72YZGBA

Enjoy!

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Stelio Kontos posted:

Got another download code from a vinyl purchase if anyone's interested. It's for Cursive's 10 year anniversary re-release of The Ugly Organ. It includes 7 b - sides (several that I've never heard, and I'm a pretty huge Cursive fan).

Enjoy!

Do people actual use those in here? I have half a dozen or so I could give out if so.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Stelio Kontos posted:

Enjoy!

Used it, very appreciative!

Edit: Was familiar with all the B-sides unfortunately but I'm still happy to have them all in one place.

Also if you're ever bored, there's a guy on youtube who has most of Cursive's songs with lyrics (with a couple mistakes peppered about) that's pretty cool to kill time with. You'll find it just by poking around.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 13, 2014

silencekit
May 1, 2014

jiffypop45 posted:

Do people actual use those in here? I have half a dozen or so I could give out if so.

I'm interested. I also probably have some laying around.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Punch Card posted:

Used it, very appreciative!

Edit: Was familiar with all the B-sides unfortunately but I'm still happy to have them all in one place.

Also if you're ever bored, there's a guy on youtube who has most of Cursive's songs with lyrics (with a couple mistakes peppered about) that's pretty cool to kill time with. You'll find it just by poking around.

Awesome, glad it got used up. And yeah after I popped the b side record on I realized that I wasn't familiar with 2 out of the 7 but it's still nice to have them for sure.

And to the folks with download codes, I've posted a handful in this thread so far and they all get snatched up pretty promptly so I'd say post away :)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
New Screaming Females album due out in February :rock:. The music video for the first song off the record is for "Ripe" and it's pretty great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ObpxB1_TV8

They also put out a single "Wishing Well" a bit ago, and that song will show up on the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_paR0LplI

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Got my confirmation today that I was going to Spoon on December 5, in Austin Texas. I'm not really a big Spoon fan but, everyone is better live right? Anyone been to any of their shows on the current tour? I'm mostly going because I've got a friend down there who has expressed interest in doing things together, and I've really enjoyed going to concerts lately so I figured that was as good as any (even if it was a bit more than I would have liked to have spent being that I'm getting the tickets so late).

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

jiffypop45 posted:

Got my confirmation today that I was going to Spoon on December 5, in Austin Texas. I'm not really a big Spoon fan but, everyone is better live right? Anyone been to any of their shows on the current tour? I'm mostly going because I've got a friend down there who has expressed interest in doing things together, and I've really enjoyed going to concerts lately so I figured that was as good as any (even if it was a bit more than I would have liked to have spent being that I'm getting the tickets so late).

Saw them in September and they were great. I'm a huge fan though, but every time I've seen them they've been really good.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Catching up on 2014 releases and came across Douglas Dare, whose debut, Whelm, came out in the spring.

Sort of in the vein of James Blake, Thom Yorke's solo stuff ... I can hear some Antlers and Massive Attack from time to time, too.

"Nile"

"Lungful"

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

If you have the opportunity to see Flying Lotus on the You're Dead tour do whatever it takes to get tickets. The visuals are easily the best I've seen since Daft Punk's pyramid stuff.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Los Campesinos! released a Christmas song a few days ago and it's very twee (and fun!). If you are in the UK and can see these guys on their xmas tour, I'd highly recommend going. They put on one of my favorite shows this year.

I just bought tickets to a PUP show in January at a tiny, tiny venue. I'm stupidly excited. From their videos it looks like I'm going to leave the show covered in sweat/blood/Labatt Blue.
Reservoir
Dark Days

Also, a few years old, but I just started listening to Hop Along. They're like a less-chill Waxahatchee with a backing band and weirder lyrics.
Tibetan Pop Stars
Get Disowned

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Every now and then I come back to this loving outstanding album by The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa. They've had a really long career with a lot of different lineups, but the album that always catches my attention is their second release, Susurrate. It's basically early 90s shoegaze, all fuzz and distortion. This track in particular is amazing: Thorn in Yr Grip

edit: only the first two albums were shoegaze, they went through a lot of stylistic changes over the years which I think is pretty cool, they are sort of an ambient pop group now. This is basically what their last two albums sounded like: I'm (Not Really) Optimistic

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 20, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

taco show posted:

Los Campesinos! released a Christmas song a few days ago and it's very twee (and fun!). If you are in the UK and can see these guys on their xmas tour, I'd highly recommend going. They put on one of my favorite shows this year.
Disappointed this is not title You! Me! Santa!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

guppiehaus posted:

What the gently caress kind of band name is You'll Never Get To Heaven? Relaxed synth pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QKOvFISjjk

Whoa, that song is totally amazing. A little bit like m83 if he could lay off the layers and noise and build up for just a moment. Definitely going to have to check out the whole album.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

guppiehaus posted:

What the gently caress kind of band name is You'll Never Get To Heaven? Relaxed synth pop.

There's a band on Braid's label called "The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die". If we're discussing odd band names. They are pretty good but, the "emo" vocals feel a bit dated at this point, which is the same feeling I got from Braid's album this year as well.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah i know some people who get all butthurt at 'the pains of being pure at heart' 's name

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Just saw this pop up on FB from future island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyJEhMHFdM

The band BADBADNOTGOOD does a number on seasons. BADBADNOTGOOD is an instrumental band from toronto, heavy on the jazz and hip hop inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA-ee9M_jhE

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Real Name Grover posted:

"Make You Better" — The Decemberists

I was enthusiastic for the first minute or so, but then ... <shrug>. I like the Decemberists but would never claim to be a huge fan of them (I know a few of you are and would like to hear what you think)

This one actually kind of grew on me. Good hook, certainly.

Here's another one: "Lake Song"

Kind of Nick Drake-y. I like it, but at 5:50 it's a bit too long IMO.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The album itself is out there now. As an unabashed Decemberists fanboy, I dig it - "Philomena" and "Mistral" are especially good, but there's not too much storytelling in this one, just like The King is Dead.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw Death from Above 1979 last night and, while they didn't play Black History Month like I'd hoped, it was amazing and I think I'm permanently deaf.

Also I want to play bass now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SgtScruffy posted:

I saw Death from Above 1979 last night and, while they didn't play Black History Month like I'd hoped, it was amazing and I think I'm permanently deaf.

Also I want to play bass now.
That was my thought after seeing them too, but then I realized I'd just embarrass myself by being nowhere near as good as Jesse.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That was my thought after seeing them too, but then I realized I'd just embarrass myself by being nowhere near as good as Jesse.

Also there aren't nearly enough decibels in the world for me to be able to make my bass sound the way his does :(

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

resident posted:

If you have the opportunity to see Flying Lotus on the You're Dead tour do whatever it takes to get tickets. The visuals are easily the best I've seen since Daft Punk's pyramid stuff.

tbh i barely remember the actual music from the show i went to because i was just completely stoned mesmerized by the visuals for the whole set, that and Thundercat wearing a wolf's head/pelt. so yeah if he's still touring definitely check it out, even if you are only somewhat interested in his stuff like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I didn't even realize dfa was a two piece band until about a week or two before I saw them live. Did anyone else who saw them live stay for the MSTRKRFT after party? I wanted to but couldn't rationalize the cost for what seemed like already pricy tickets for an indie band (35$). After party would have cost another 35$.