Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I like how everyone else has typically had to injure themselves with a dagger or something to transform. Eren and Frieda have enough resolve to bite the hell out of their hands.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
Ugh it's behind a paywall now. Renumeration for creative work :negative:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Can I just say that I am loving stoked for the next issue? Because I am.

Also, that power-up experience that Mikasa, Levi and Kenny had. Maybe certain bloodlines are just very susceptible to Command abilities, and someone yelled at Levi and Kenny as well?

Mostly I just want Eren Commanding Mikasa into swoleness to be true. Although I think it now runs into the problem of Eren not actually having any abilities until post-Reiss massacre. Unless Command is genetic, and latently passed on from Grisha? I don't know.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To give you an idea how dangerous he is, imagine me, but on the enemy side.

Someone is being :smug: as gently caress.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hodgepodge posted:

Ugh it's behind a paywall now. Renumeration for creative work :negative:

It's... not? I can access it right now.

The paywall goes up once it stops being the latest chapter.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Looks like Grisha had some words with the Reiss family before he killed most of them. Not buying this whole 'Reiss family were a happy, harmless bunch before Grisha swooped in and stole the Titan powers'. Also Reiss suggests his daughter lost because she had less experience. Does this suggest Grisha somehow had experience fighting as a titan, or is it an excuse for bad luck in the fight?

Also I think this chapter should put to rest the idea that this series is fascist apologia.

With all the talk about how power is passed down through bloodlines, it's actually hereditary monarchist apologia!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Kyte posted:

It's... not? I can access it right now.

The paywall goes up once it stops being the latest chapter.

Maybe it's just something with my phone/forums app? I've never had that problem before though. I'll check it at home.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
Yeah, worked fine at home.

If the King injects Historia anyways, he will be an epic dick. Which I suspect means he will; when has the series shied away from the Worst Possible Thing happening? (Alternatively, she could inject herself, not knowing that she won't have control over herself.

I wonder if Isayama has the balls to have her eat Eren. Even he's probably competent enough to beat an uncontrolled titan. Then again, maybe it's possible to control yourself as a titan if you know what's going on when you first transform and have strongish willpower. It's possible that the serum is different from Monkey Trouble transformations as well. People who change using the serum seem to have a distinctive form upon transformation, for example. We also saw one of Monkey Trouble's titans attack another, so it's safe to say that we (and the characters) still have a lot to learn about this whole titan business.

Speaking of Monkey Trouble, Grisha's titan looks a bit like him.

So all the hyper-competent people also have semi-magic powers. Well, essentially genetically engineered humans aren't implausible in a world with bio-tech-ish things like titans. At least he dodged the Asian (Japanese) = ubermensh bullet and instead made... literal German ubermensh. Also the revolution instantly disintegrated into Kafkaesque torture, so I'm going to call that at worst a conservative take on revolutionary violence.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
If Eren got eaten people would flip out, and it would be great.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, worked fine at home.

If the King injects Historia anyways, he will be an epic dick. Which I suspect means he will; when has the series shied away from the Worst Possible Thing happening? (Alternatively, she could inject herself, not knowing that she won't have control over herself.

I wonder if Isayama has the balls to have her eat Eren. Even he's probably competent enough to beat an uncontrolled titan

Eren wont be able to transform, he is chained. Im betting that Historia will be injected, and then cavalry will arrive just in time to save Eren from being eaten. Historia will be killed, and Kenny will fight Mikasa (and then be killed by her)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hodgepodge posted:

Speaking of Monkey Trouble, Grisha's titan looks a bit like him.

I thought Grisha looked more like the beardo titan that ate Eren at the beginning of the series.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Eren wont be able to transform, he is chained. Im betting that Historia will be injected, and then cavalry will arrive just in time to save Eren from being eaten. Historia will be killed, and Kenny will fight Mikasa (and then be killed by her)

But where would the series go from there? That would wrap up most of the current plotlines, which has never happened in AoT. Something unexpected has to happen next chapter involving a third party.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 8, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Broseph Brostar posted:

But where would the series go from there? That would wrap up most of the current plotlines, which has never happened in AoT. Something unexpected has to happen next chapter involving a third party.

Its almost like there is a third party titan wandering around who was introduced some time ago that needs resolving on top of the titan village

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not most of the current plotlines, there are a still a ton of things unaccounted for.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I hope everyone completely discards all of Zackly's characterization from here on and he just becomes the enema guy, the same way Sasha became the potato girl.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The Ron Paul option; Historia eats her dad :unsmigghh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please don't eat Eren, he's a nice boy.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I had to check the wiki for who Zackley was because I didn't recognize him at all. I Only read the manga after the anime ran out of episodes. Was he seen post anime at all before now?

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I had to check the wiki for who Zackley was because I didn't recognize him at all. I Only read the manga after the anime ran out of episodes. Was he seen post anime at all before now?

He was presiding over Eren's trial.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zackley hasn't been around a lot so I don't blame you. I hope he sticks around though because he's loving hilarious.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Kraus posted:

He was presiding over Eren's trial.

Yeah that's where I stopped reading the wiki and was too lazy to reopen it before I asked my question. I'm pretty sure he hasn't said anything important since.

And the opening of this episode made me feel like I missed one because the last cliff hanger was the cave bondage scene with erin and then this happens and who the gently caress is Zackley did I open the wrong comic?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Uh, yeah, you probably missed the last chapter then.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zackly was shown being put in charge after they overthrew the king. Also he was talking with Erwin at the end of the last chapter.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Elias_Maluco posted:

[/spoiler]

But first Kenny kills Levi

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Krinkle posted:

who the gently caress is Zackley

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Definitely would never have predicted an upsidedown enema torture scene in a manga I was reading.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
who hasn't performed an upside down enema torture play in their sex dungeon?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
plz dont kinkshame

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am a child for laughing when Zackley was like "Hahaha, I'm gonna make you eat your own poop."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Candiru posted:

Definitely would never have predicted an upsidedown enema torture scene in a manga I was reading.

You don't read the right mangas!

So, the Ackerman family has some powers. I don't know how I feel about it. Before it was kind of silly the whole hyper-competent soldier way above others, even crushing the wood floor as a littler girl, but it was the type of thing you could ignore because hyper-competence is a plague in manga/anime!; now we have an explanation at least... but the special bloodline explanation feels tired. Though I suppose it will be tied later to the entire backstory (gene experimentation?) so maybe it will be acceptable.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I'm wary of passing judgement right now considering that I had such an averse reaction to Eren being a titan but enjoyed how it played out more than the intitial premise, so Isayama's shown that he can salvage bad plot twists, but this Ackerman subplot so far continues to be dumb and boring. There's no intrigue in it, it's the only mystery in this series that I can think of where I don't even care about learning the answers. Levi's connection feels shoehorned and poorly foreshadowed as well.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

yellowyams posted:

Yeah, I'm wary of passing judgement right now considering that I had such an averse reaction to Eren being a titan but enjoyed how it played out more than the intitial premise, so Isayama's shown that he can salvage bad plot twists, but this Ackerman subplot so far continues to be dumb and boring. There's no intrigue in it, it's the only mystery in this series that I can think of where I don't even care about learning the answers. Levi's connection feels shoehorned and poorly foreshadowed as well.

Levi Ackerman's connection to Mikasa is poorly foreshadowed?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The fact that he has a connection to her is poorly foreshadowed, which it is. That reveal was made recently, we didn't know that was his name until like four chapters ago.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I'm very interested to see where Eren and Historia's characters will go if they survive this. Eren's on the cusp of some big development; since he recognized the parallels between Rod manipulating Historia with Frieda's death and Grisha doing the same with his mother's death, he must have realized how his father was just using him as a tool for revenge. So will he be less vengeful in the future? How will he deal with his dad being The Biggest rear end in a top hat and the fact that he was given this huge role by a murderer with what appears to be such shady intentions? He has a lot on his plate right now that could make him undergo some serious changes, and that's why I'd rather he lives through this and grows as a character instead of a shock death 2/3 through the story (that, and I really don't want this to become the Levi Power Hour again).

I thought I'd be frustrated with Historia when I read the chapter summary but I feel a lot of pity for her. There's no one more gullible than a person who's vulnerable and looking for acceptance. It would be great if Eren could stop her from going through all the poo poo he had to but I don't see how he could at this point and I know Isayama likes to end his arcs on downers, but I'd be disappointed if Ymir's wish for her to live for herself is ignored by the story. Historia is a character that I feel had an extremely interesting concept but consistently flubbed execution since Ymir left, however I don't think she's beyond redemption so I hope she survives too.

I'm not sure what to think about Rod. I know Isayama loves moral ambiguity so I figured he'd at least get some poorly conceived justification for his actions, but this chapter made it clear that he's as much of an rear end in a top hat as Grisha. Although his story may be true, he's being incredibly manipulative about it and omitting key information. Even if her anger is very misguided and irrational right now I wonder if Historia would really agree to eat Eren if she knew that's what her father wanted. I hope something happens to open her eyes to all the poo poo he's about to put her through. Also, something interesting: Grisha attacked the chapel the night the wall fell, which means it was before he would be able to confirm Carla's death, but when he stabs his hand in the flashback he looks like he wants revenge for something. Was Rod being truthful when he said he just wanted Frieda's ability? I'm sure that was part of it but there must have been something else as well.

my dad posted:

Levi Ackerman's connection to Mikasa is poorly foreshadowed?

I meant the reveal that he was an Ackerman. I don't doubt that Isayama came up with the idea well in advance of executing it, but if I go back through the story for hints, the only stuff I can find is too vague or general, the best I come up with is "they're both super strong" which isn't out of place in a shounen and Mike was strong as well. It's especially glaring when we have such great foreshadowing for Reiner and Bertolt's reveal, and at least passable foreshadowing that Eren ate his dad.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 9, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

The fact that he has a connection to her is poorly foreshadowed, which it is. That reveal was made recently, we didn't know that was his name until like four chapters ago.

The connection was established back when Levi was first introduced because aside from her mom, they were literally the only two Asian people we had seen.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Kegslayer posted:

The connection was established back when Levi was first introduced because aside from her mom, they were literally the only two Asian people we had seen.

The Ackerman name(/bloodline) comes from Mikasa's father. Her Asian mother has nothing to do with it (so far as we know). Besides, Levi isn't Asian.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

The Ackerman name(/bloodline) comes from Mikasa's father. Her Asian mother has nothing to do with it (so far as we know). Besides, Levi isn't Asian.

That's what you think. All glory to the ubermensch and the Fatherland/Motherland :japan:

Seriously though the whole Ackerman subplot seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to stretch out the story.

Unless the Ackermans turn out to be monkey titans, I don't really see the point of introducing another set of super powers. If there was something special with the Ackerman bloodline you would have figured that Kenny or Levi would have picked it up the minute they saw Mikasa's full name.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Posted in the wrong thread, but Eren has to be just completely hosed up from realizing how he and Historia were/are being manipulated the same way by their parents.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

Posted in the wrong thread, but Eren has to be just completely hosed up from realizing how he and Historia were/are being manipulated the same way by their parents.

i too had this an the ncaa thread open and i was p confused

pays to be osu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

i too had this an the ncaa thread open and i was p confused

pays to be osu

I was basically in a panic when I saw what I had done.