Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What is the smooth organ dubstep song used during the opening recap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Factor Mystic posted:

I wonder how many more people will fall in love with Ahyoung this season

besides me :swoon:
I loved it when she went into that hysterical laughing fit that people all across the Genius house could hear.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
Newest episode is out!

Deathmatch :
Jongbum was good at predicting Junghoon, but some of his decisions were pretty bad.
When he chose to bet instead of play with both of them at 3, and 3 to win : he literally had nothing to win at all by betting!
And then, he chooses to draw in the penultimate round to "keep his advantage", and in the last round he all-ins by betting on win, what's the point in drawing and "losing" chips if you're going to all-in in the last round anyway?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Main match is really good.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
That was a pretty good episode, but the preview for the next one :f5:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Fast Luck posted:

I loved it when she went into that hysterical laughing fit that people all across the Genius house could hear.

And again ! With dealer nuna :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeonseung stole dongmin and junghoon's good hair!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
That there was a drat fine episode of The Genius.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I appreciated that the real strategy in the main game was manipulating the timing. Most of the players had enough information to go on either directly or through conjecture (though they didn't show people doing the thinking about what other players were buying based on the shares left), where Dongmin and Hyunmin dominated was by taking advantage of the clock flipping. Good on Dongmin for manipulating his allies into selling everything he wanted to buy, too.

I was thinking that they probably overpaid for the information in the auction, and then it turned out to be worth a minimum of 8 garnets and probably a lot more long term. Dividing up the winnings to cover the payment, keeping control of the game is probably worth the two to three garnets they actually paid.

1975 Toyota Carolla
Apr 18, 2006
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is the smooth organ dubstep song used during the opening recap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUA8OzQxGxE
I think its this one.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Next episode gonna be a barn burner

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I meant the one at the beginning of every S3 episode.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I love the beginning scene with Dongmin and Hyunmin teaming up, it shows the attitude difference between players on this show and the way you would expect Americans to play.

There's something great about the two best players deciding that they each deserve to go to the final, and trying to knock each other out to get rid of the "big threat" is boring television. Plus I think it's sound strategically, since everyone knows they are better than the rest and the remaining 1 of 2 (if one instead chose to try and get the other out) would be ganged up on by the rest. At least together, they have a chance at resisting the rest of the group ganging up on them.

It was a great opening, though I don't think any opening scene into credits will ever beat the Sangmin Sungyuu reunion.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

One thing I'll add is I'm so glad they stopped using that other death match, because this one was awesome! Especially with the alterations and everybody telling the truth so it became a little bit strategy a little bit reading the other person, love death matches like that.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Now that it's boiled down quite a bit I'm super impressed with this cast. Dongmin and Hyunmin are killing it so far, but there's plenty of room for everyone else to take them out, and it feels like they could.

Running With Spoons posted:

Newest episode is out!

Deathmatch :
Jongbum was good at predicting Junghoon, but some of his decisions were pretty bad.
When he chose to bet instead of play with both of them at 3, and 3 to win : he literally had nothing to win at all by betting!
And then, he chooses to draw in the penultimate round to "keep his advantage", and in the last round he all-ins by betting on win, what's the point in drawing and "losing" chips if you're going to all-in in the last round anyway?

There's an easy answer to why: Jongbeum was playing like he was in one of his psychological thriller stories. The whole deathmatch felt like it was being shot like one, down to the "inner thoughts" cut in. It was amazing.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I laughed when Hyunmin showed up straight from Jiwon's wardrobe. He and Dongmin are still lightyears beyond the others and I hope we'll get to that big final.

Dealer nuna :allears:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
People should not be so suprised at Hyungmin and Dongmin total domination if they all keep doing what they are suggesting. Their manipulation of timing who went to trade when was masterful. With them taking the time slots before and after price changes they basically could not lose. The rest was so busy with their stock price info they missed how useless that info was if all the good stock is already sold.
'Curses, I'm again unable to do anything with my information. drat you cruel fates !!! Oh hyung, you want me to go first one minute before price changes ? Sure, you're too kind'

Next week will be the last time the Dongmin-Hyungmin-Ahyoung bloc is outnumbered, if they keep just being nice it's all over for them. I had hoped this would be more like the season 1 horse race where Eunji messed everything up with a sneaky lie on the info she got but everyone is now sharing their info like it's mandatory.

Everything Ahyoung does is still amazing. Of course she was the one in the trading room when all the stock prices crashed and her genuine shock at the end that someone else managed to be worse at trading stocks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Was there a point to Hyunmin and Dongmin using dead drops? I think it was pretty clear even from last week that the two had an alliance going on, so wasn't that kind of pointless?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Argue posted:

Was there a point to Hyunmin and Dongmin using dead drops? I think it was pretty clear even from last week that the two had an alliance going on, so wasn't that kind of pointless?

Sure, since they weren't actually in an alliance last week just made a deal. So when people were saying don't tell Hyumin anything or give him false info he can just confirm that stuff from Dongmin who wasn't suspected of working with him since they weren't talking.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeonseung what did you to your hair? Goofy hair you was cool. Doesn't even look like the same guy here! :saddowns:

E; Alright, Ahyoung corpsing so hard again but also making Dealer-nuna do so just from a slightly coughing fit is gonna be hard to top.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 9, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

At this point I want Ahyoung to take the title. Wouldn't even be mad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As I've said time and again, the best part of The Genius is watching dealer nuna corpsing. :allears:

Pretty good episode again this week, and judging by the preview it seems like this season might get on a roll.

Again, Hyunmin and Dongmin dominated the main match, mostly because it took two games in a row for people to understand those two are way too good at this whole Genius thing. Keeping their alliance on the down low helped, of course, but manipulating the timing for buying and selling stocks by trading information at the right time was the decisive element for their win. I mean, if the guy that spent 13 garnets to get confidential material tells you "I can save you if you do me a solid", you help him regardless of whether or not you trust him.

The deathmatch was better this time and Jongbum finally justified being one of my top picks back in episode 1 with some solid reads. I hate when these types of games (the ones with spectator participation) become about alliances and misinformation, so the decision to make it a fair match made me very happy. Neither player was amazing at the game, but I feel like the better guy won at the end. The cheeky intentional loss at the start was my favorite bit, although Jongbum should've seen the mirror play coming, it's the natural reaction to being made a fool.

Is it just me or you guys can sense somewhat of a power ranking between this season's participants? I mean, Hyunmin and Dongmin are far and beyond the best players, but you also have Jongbum and Yoohyun being smart, even if always outplayed, Ahyoung being a bad player with good connections, and Yeonseung and Yeonjoo just being...kinda hopeless. The producers and the cast seem to have figured that out, if next week's preview isn't intentionally misleading - a majority rules game where people are piling on Dongmin/Hyunmin? Awesome.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
How dare you insult MENTALITY KING :mad:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Great episode and the cast has really come together so far. Also I'm with that guy about falling in love with Ahyoung, she is hilarious.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
RIP Mentality King's sweet hair

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Did anyone else feel that the market crash was super obvious?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'll acknowledge that Hyunmin and Dongmin are the best players out there, but I realllly hope it doesn't come down to the two of them in the end because it means a boring 6 episodes of them dominating the game while everyone else gets picked off.

Of the two, I'd like to see Hyunmin go (I haven't liked him since the first episode). He's really overconfident and hopefully someone will backstab him when he's not expecting it.

I think if Yoohyun can survive the next couple of episodes, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. My read on him is that he's very good at playing the games individually, but keeps getting outdone because Dongmin/Hyunmin are better at getting other people to break the games in their favor. Her certainly looked this episode like he wanted to strangle Hyunmin, so I'm hoping he can organize a coup of some kind.

And I hope Ahyoung is one of the last to go because (Like everyone else apparently) I'm just completely enamored with her.

E: Yeah, my immediate guess for the secret information was a market crash. It just seemed to be on-theme and we hadn't see one yet.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Subyng posted:

with those business names, yeah.

also yeonsoungs new hair is way better then his awful last style everybody

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah the market crash was obvious to me too. Some other ideas that could've also worked:

-One company goes bankrupt (future price changes don't matter, the stock is just worthless the rest of the game)
-Stock split (probably wouldn't have too much effect so late in the game, but would essentially double the effects of any remaining changes)
-Nothing useful at all (I just want to see this happen once with these garnet auctions)

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012

Roflex posted:

-Nothing useful at all (I just want to see this happen once with these garnet auctions)

I could totally see this happening in a future episode with the winner of the auction making up information to screw all the other players over.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Subyng posted:

I expected something like that to happen and the time gap made it clear that an event would occur. Even without the insider knowledge I'd divest myself at that time just to be safe.

A bankruptcy was possible, but if I had information on the movement of all five stocks after 2:40 then it would be safe to assume that wasn't going to happen; they're not going to saddle some players with worthless information.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Subyng posted:

I can't believe the other people couldn't see it coming from a mile away.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Roflex posted:

Yeah the market crash was obvious to me too. Some other ideas that could've also worked:

I was actually really hoping for this

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Great main match, ok death match. Dealer Nuna and Ahyoung for the finals with Dongmin yelling at them both would be the best.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Chainsawdomy posted:

I think if Yoohyun can survive the next couple of episodes, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. My read on him is that he's very good at playing the games individually, but keeps getting outdone because Dongmin/Hyunmin are better at getting other people to break the games in their favor. Her certainly looked this episode like he wanted to strangle Hyunmin, so I'm hoping he can organize a coup of some kind.

Yoohyun's not that impressive so far beyond his poker skills. He needs to be way more proactive - he tends to go "oh poo poo I need to do something about Hyunmin" about an hour after the victory has already been sealed.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Tonfa posted:

Yoohyun's not that impressive so far beyond his poker skills. He needs to be way more proactive - he tends to go "oh poo poo I need to do something about Hyunmin" about an hour after the victory has already been sealed.

I think some of that is down to editing; outside of Jury he's never come close to losing a game, but his play isn't very spectacular. In several episodes now he's quietly come in just behind Hyunmin and Dongmin basically on his own strength, but keeps getting outdone by cooperative and social play from the other two. I think if he survives to the point where teamwork starts taking a back seat to individual play, he'll be very hard to get rid of, in much the same way Yohwan was, but without Yohwan's self-destructive streak.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
He's way better than Yohwan.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

People are talking badly about Yoohyun, but a strong player who doesn't really win main matches but doesn't lose them either? To top it off he has just enough alliance to have not gotten picked yet for death matches? Gonna go far if you ask me.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Absolutely. I expect Yoohyun to be Dongmin and Hyunmin's main obstacle going forward. His only problem last match was not seeing Dongmin and Hyunmin's alliance, but that's out in the open now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I didn't think crash, I thought all the stocks would double so anyone who had 1 of a stock suddenly had 2. As in you would be wiser to be holding onto any stock rather than money during that round.