Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Relatively obsolete though, as almost all airplanes use minijack for the IFE now anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pudgygiant posted:

Relatively obsolete though, as almost all airplanes use minijack for the IFE now anyway

You must fly on all the fancy airlines. In the past year I have been on a hundred hours or more in planes where those little adapters were a godsend and allowed me to use my own headphones on long haul flights.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I pretty much exclusively fly Star Alliance or Emirates internationally. The only time I've seen them on an international flight was on Aeroflot but that was easily not my biggest complaint about that flight. No meals between LAX and Moscow on the other hand...

Domestic, yeah, every so often, but I'm ok with not watching Sleepless In Seattle on a 12" CRT in TYOOL 2014.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In flight movies are still a thing? Seems like it would be much cheaper and better to just put in a cheap android device and license Netflix. I guess maybe support it as a legacy solution until you can upgrade, but there is no reason to use some overpriced proprietary system in 2014.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It's been about a year since I've flown, but I've heard that on some carriers they've done exactly that, axed the headrest tvs for rent-able tablets.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pudgygiant posted:

You just reminded me that the very first international flight I remember as a child had those headphones that were just hollow tubes, like these here.

I distinctly remember them being truly painful to wear.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Konstantin posted:

In flight movies are still a thing? Seems like it would be much cheaper and better to just put in a cheap android device and license Netflix. I guess maybe support it as a legacy solution until you can upgrade, but there is no reason to use some overpriced proprietary system in 2014.
When I flew overseas on Qantas last year every seat had a touch-screen thingy built into the back of the seat in front of you. A good number of shows to choose from and a large selection of movies, even recent ones.
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/inflight-entertainment/global/en

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It's been about a year since I've flown, but I've heard that on some carriers they've done exactly that, axed the headrest tvs for rent-able tablets.

I flew just a couple weeks ago, and United even has an app now that will let you watch from your own device. It's very smart. The built-in entertainment systems are hugely expensive, because of the infrastructure and flight certification requirements. Once you get through with all of that, the cost of building in seatback screens to a passenger jet averages out to nearly $1000 per inch per screen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Konstantin posted:

Modern airplanes use a proprietary system where you pick a movie or show off a list and watch it in the headrest in front of you. For a while the double-plug was retained so they could sell headsets, but that's been going away for a while now.

As for being overpriced, a cheap android device and Netflix license would be required for every seat and then require an air-to-ground datalink capable of sustaining bandwidth for up to 660 simultaneous streams on a 747. Also, this assumes that Netflix allows commercial usage without paying through the nose (I haven't read the TOS but probably not) and the android devices would probably need to be swapped out continuously because they aren't designed for continuous commercial use on an airplane, and if they are then we're back to proprietary commercial devices.

Its the same reason hotels have weird proprietary TV systems: because its cheaper to have one cable-box per channel than one cable-box per room.

(Oh, and airlines usually want a movie list that doesn't have tits in it so they don't have parents complaining about the guy next to their toddler watching Orange Is The New Black or Spartacus.)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Gromit posted:

You just reminded me that the very first international flight I remember as a child had those headphones that were just hollow tubes, like these here.

I distinctly remember them being truly painful to wear.

Those aren't obsolete. Well, those are, but the mechanism isn't. It's possible to do with no metal, so it's used for things like patient headsets in MRI machines.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Virgin Australia now has local Wi-Fi on the plane and an iDevice/Android app you download before the flight that connects to it and you watch the shows and listen to the music over that. It works really, really well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Heh, I've only ever been on 6-8 hour flights tops, but those all still had the dual jacks. Last time I was seated near the back, and the in-flight instructions and movie were on drat hi8 tapes. Whoever has to transfer the latest romcom to hi8 probably smiles bemusedly, while absurdly overcharging them for sticking to technology from like 30 years ago.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

As for being overpriced, a cheap android device and Netflix license would be required for every seat and then require an air-to-ground datalink capable of sustaining bandwidth for up to 660 simultaneous streams on a 747.

On some of the longer qantas flights, you can rent a modified ipad that alleges it won't work outside the plane. It connects to a fileserver inside the plane and streams content.

They were letting you do this for around a year before they started letting you leave your electronic devices on during takeoff.

If there is a god, obsolete technology soon: aeroplane mode.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Cat Hatter posted:

(Oh, and airlines usually want a movie list that doesn't have tits in it so they don't have parents complaining about the guy next to their toddler watching Orange Is The New Black or Spartacus.)

Maybe this is a mostly American thing because I distinctly remember watching The Devil's Advocate on a Singapore Airlines flight to Australia in 1997 and it was completely uncut as far as I know (it was through the in-seat system though).

Tangentially related to the thread, but I was in Singapore about a month ago and I found it kind of weird that digital TV is not really A Thing in that country. Sure, they're currently making the switchover now (albeit very slowly) but it was kind of odd seeing so many HDTVs tuned in to analog broadcasts at the places I was staying.

mrkillboy has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Nov 9, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

mrkillboy posted:

Maybe this is a mostly American thing because I distinctly remember watching The Devil's Advocate on a Singapore Airlines flight to Australia in 1997 and it was completely uncut as far as I know (it was through the in-seat system though).

I also have seen films with tits on singapore airlines flights. The SA in seat systems use a privacy screen so you can't see your neighbors screens, but it's not good enough to stop yous seeing the screens of the people in the row in front of you.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sir_Substance posted:

If there is a god, obsolete technology soon: aeroplane mode.

Airplane mode will stick around. In future when your kids ask why the 'turn off all radios' symbol is an airplane you'll get to tell stories. Ditto about the save symbol.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah the BA flight we were on recently's seatscreens have some sort of lenticular cover or plastic so you can't even see what's on them from any angle other than 'right in front of you'.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Boiled Water posted:

Ditto about the save symbol.

I already have students who were completely baffled by the use of the floppy disc symbol for saving. They had no idea what it was.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

mrkillboy posted:

Maybe this is a mostly American thing

It is, American censorship hits sex/nudity much harder than it hits violence. (I know many other countries are the other way around.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I already have students who were completely baffled by the use of the floppy disc symbol for saving. They had no idea what it was.

Has there been any effort to change that recently? I mean...in theory, it doesn't matter what the icon is, so long as it's universal and everyone knows it, but it is weird...it'd be like the symbol for "play" on a music app/stereo being a little image of a record player with a needle going down on it, or something, instead of an arrow/triangle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've see some programs where the save icon is an arrow going into a stylized hard drive, but even that may be anachronistic as mechanical hard drives will probably be suitable for this thread in a couple of years.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I've see some programs where the save icon is an arrow going into a stylized hard drive, but even that may be anachronistic as mechanical hard drives will probably be suitable for this thread in a couple of years.

I don't know what's wrong with just writing "save" on the button, there's nothing worse than trying to guess what the gently caress that little 25x25 scribble is supposed to represent.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Collateral Damage posted:

The cells in solid-state drives lose data over time and with rewrites, so I don't think that they'll completely replace hard disks, at least as backup storage.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know what's wrong with just writing "save" on the button, there's nothing worse than trying to guess what the gently caress that little 25x25 scribble is supposed to represent.

It's hard to pick out one textual button among lots of other textual buttons. Tooltips are the correct solution to the problem you are having.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The cells in solid-state drives lose data over time and with rewrites,

This part is true, but you are giving it the Fox News treatment by leaving out the " but its not a problem at all, as it would take decades of constant IE: 100% maxed out usage for you to ever reach that point"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pham Nuwen posted:

It works fine in the world where everyone is american and speaks gods favorite language.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

It works fine in the world where everyone is american and speaks gods favorite language.

Localization is a thing, and changing "save" to the appropriate Spanish word is the easiest part, a hell of a lot easier than translating the documentation.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Johnny Aztec posted:

This part is true, but you are giving it the Fox News treatment by leaving out the " but its not a problem at all, as it would take decades of constant IE: 100% maxed out usage for you to ever reach that point"

Not the same thing. The cells can wear out through use, but you're right that this is unlikely to be a problem. They can also lose enough charge to make it impossible to read them, which is a perfectly real problem if you're going to let an SSD sit unpowered for a long while.

HP has a document here on the reliability and endurance of their enterprise SSDs, where they say this:

quote:

The data retention period of an SSD is actually greater when you operate the SSD at higher operating temperatures while it is in service and store it at lower temperatures once you remove it from service.
As an example, an SSD operated at 50°C and stored at 30°C should retain its data for 28 weeks if you remove it from service at the end of its rated endurance.
The important thing to remember is that an SSD has a limited data retention window once you remove it from service. This is different from disk drives, which typically retain data for years.
If an SSD has used all of its rated endurance, the only truly safe assumption that you should make when removing it from service is that it will not retain its data for any significant period.

That's for storage after you've worn the cells down to the ragged end of their lives, though; probably not applicable for backup/storage drives.

edit: Dell says this:

quote:

6. I have unplugged my SSD drive and put it into storage. How long can I expect the drive
to retain my data without needing to plug the drive back in?
It depends on the how much the flash has been used (P/E cycle used), type of flash, and storage
temperature. In MLC and SLC, this can be as low as 3 months and best case can be more than 10
years. The retention is highly dependent on temperature and workload.

Data Retention @ rated P/E cycle
NANDSLC : 6 Months
eMLC : 3 months
MLC : 3 Months

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Nov 9, 2014

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, yes you can't leave SSDs unplugged near as long as magnetic drives. I've plugged in 20 year old PCs and still has the same hdd in it kicking.
I was thinking he was referring more to that anti SSD talking point about how you can wear one out with write/rewrite cycles(which is so much data/time that you are very very very likely to never see it).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Localization is a thing, and changing "save" to the appropriate Spanish word is the easiest part, a hell of a lot easier than translating the documentation.

I used a Mexican copy of Word a few years back and everything was translated. Guardar for save, Imprimir for print etc. Threw me off because the shortcuts were also different, so ctrl-g saved for example. Combined with the weird keyboard layout it really threw me off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Goldskull posted:

Yeah the BA flight we were on recently's seatscreens have some sort of lenticular cover or plastic so you can't even see what's on them from any angle other than 'right in front of you'.

As the other guy said, they usually do allow you to see the screen in the row in front of you and one seat left or right. Caught some super :corsair:-looking dude listening to Metallica on my last flight.

The BA system is pretty neat, I have to admit. I usually have my laptop on the longer flights but when they bring out the food, it's nice to have a decent selection of movies and TV shows to watch. Speaking of which, I did watch the first episode of The Knick that, doesn't that have boobs in it?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I've never flown (hence why I didn't recognise the headphone jack), but Airplane Mode is still useful for some cases (sometimes to force my phone to cycle the wifi or bluetooth).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I used to use Airplane mode as a handy do not disturb mode (before it came built in) or an emergency battery saver.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Johnny Aztec posted:

I was thinking he was referring more to that anti SSD talking point about how you can wear one out with write/rewrite cycles(which is so much data/time that you are very very very likely to never see it).
That was more for the sake of completeness than anything else, which is why I tacked it on at the end. Rewriting does play a small role here, but the real issue is that cheap solid-state storage is significantly volatile out of the box. I've had to deal with it myself; when I got a cheap, lovely storage card for my MP3 player, I ended up replacing it after about a year because glitches would constantly pop up all over my music, one every few weeks or so. The replacement hasn't given me any headaches at all, but I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for with this stuff, and it's hard to shake the feeling that not even the best is completely immune.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Nov 10, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Virgin Australia now has local Wi-Fi on the plane and an iDevice/Android app you download before the flight that connects to it and you watch the shows and listen to the music over that. It works really, really well.

Norwegian also uses streaming on flights which you can access on your own mobile devices.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, you are right. There have been some issues even with the high end models, however it was fixed with a firmware update.
The magnetic platter of IDE/SATA drives is a pretty mature technology. look at the difference in drives between 2000 and 2010, let alone from 1980 to 2000.
I would like to see where SSDs stand in 10 years.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just look at how far SSDs have come in the past couple of years. Five years ago consumer solid state drives were basically nonexistent. Three years ago fragmentation and cell wear was an actual issue. Give it five more years and I'm pretty sure we'll be talking about HDDs in this thread.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I use Airplane mode when I go into a foreign country to avoid roaming fees.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Cat Hatter posted:

I watched Pain and Gain 100% uncut on a Delta domestic flight. No age verification or anything. It also had Mandarin hard-subs so it was really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I wish in-flight entertainment systems weren't so drat slow to respond to input. It's been like this on most every airline I've flown. Most recently was Aer Lingus, their system had about a 2-second lag between when you touched the screen and when anything actually happened. I assume it's because only a few companies can deal with getting everything approved for in-flight use, so software quality goes to poo poo.