Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
is a dog not entitled to the butt of his butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

duTrieux. posted:

Florida Man is a superposition of all possible florida men

laffin

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hi Bitcoiners, I just wanted to let you know that you have more support than you realize. We at r/KotakuInAction know exactly how you feel because we're going through the exact same thing. I'm a member of both subs and keep an eye on everything, and I can't help but notice how much we have in common.

Just in case you don't know what i'm talking about, let me backtrack. KiA is a subreddit that was made to discuss the recent Gamergate controversy that's been lighting up the internet. I know what you're thinking: What the heck is that?

Allow me to share some info with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsPai-0Ov8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4 http://gamergate.me/ http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/355300/The-Dirty-History-of-Games-Journalism/

There's been rumblings of a civil war in the left between the moderates and the more extreme identity politiks known as “SJWs”- Social Justice Warriors.. Gamergate seems to be a part of that, and it has recently pushed a large amount of young democrats in a more libertarian direction. What really set the entire controversy on fire was the "Gamers are dead" scandal: 12 Gaming magazines released articles claiming that gamers were dead, on the exact same day. We discovered a secret group of journalists were colluding to manipulate the content of the newspapers, akin to JournoList. As you can imagine, things exploded after this. That was three months ago. This is now. We’re still going strong, but we need backup.

Just like Bitcoin is a decentralized currency, Gamergate is a leaderless consumer revolt that's aiming for a free-market in games media, one that's free of corruption. I personally believe that Bitcoin can be a huge help with this thanks to the incredible blockchain technology. http://redd.it/2ggkgp We’ve repeatedly asked for the media organizations involved to talk to us, but instead they have continued to slander and insult their own readership, claiming that they’ve done no wrong. It’s been a horrible past few weeks. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/11/199477-gamergate-biggest-scandal-might-heard-many-want-just-go-away/

The reason i'm posting this here is because we're looking for allies in our fight. Like you, we've been getting a lot of heat in the media lately. They've told incredible lies about us, and engaged in character-assassination. Like you, we have to deal with paid shills and trolls running rampant, trying to stir up trouble and destroy us from the inside. Most people in KiA are left-libertarian or anarcho-capitalists/anarchists just like here. We even have our own version of r/buttcoin- it's called r/gamerghazi, and just like buttcoin everything there solely exists to mock and debase us.

People in support of our campaign decided that enough was enough, and that Gawker Media- the largest of the 12 websites responsible for the vicious “Gamers are dead” attacks- Needed to come down. In desperation, we launched a consumer boycott of the website that consisted of emailing advertisers. It’s called operation Disrespectful Nod: http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/Operation_Disrespectful_Nod http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/Boycott_List

It’s a complicated story, but if you want to know more feel free to ask away in the subreddit.

I understand if you don’t care, but we really are interested in partnering with Bitcoin in a mutually-beneficial way. If you help us take down Gawker by sending emails, we can help make sure that Bitcoin plays a part in the next generation of online games journalism.

I want to find people interested in helping create a new Journalism website that would use Bitcoin + other cryptocurrencies to crowdfund writers via microdonations. In this way, the corrupting influence of advertisers and special political interests would be removed. The Bitcoin community has a large amount of technical expertise that would be really helpful to get something like this done. If successful, it could drive major adoption of bitcoin for use as a digital game currency of some sort. If anyone is interested or knows someone who could help, please reply or send me a PM. Thanks for reading, and we await your replies.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 9, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

lol :qq:ing makes strange bedfellows.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how in the everliving gently caress could you claim to be both an ancap and a tireless crusader against paid influence in journalism

the free market has spoken bitch

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

what the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

theflyingexecutive posted:

how in the everliving gently caress could you claim to be both an ancap and a tireless crusader against paid influence in journalism

by not having the first loving clue what either of those entails. if you just cobble your identity out of things that sound cool on facebook and wikipedia this is what happens

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr. Honked posted:

what the gently caress

its about ethic in bitcoins

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

theflyingexecutive posted:

the free market has spoken bitch

the whole thing is a facade, it doesn't have to be internally consistent because there's no internals in the first place

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Welp, galtse has some competition now.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

What many of us don't get about Bitcoin (its biggest strength)

Are you worried about the trolls, the Professor Bitcorn and BitCon types the media books on their shows, while ignoring people like Andreas, Roger, TwoBitIdiot, Circle execs, the Xapo CEO - all of whom would be better representatives of the technology and the currency.

Look, these people are playing their game: they don't want Bitcoin to succeed.

Allow me to repeat that: they do not want Bitcoin to succeed.

For people in the media, especially television, who already have money - they don't want to hear the Bitcoin narrative. They really don't. They're busy and being told their millions are worthless fiat poo poo bothers them. People don't like change - we couldn't even switch to the metric system in the States. This turns money around, a full 180. Some aren't ready for that.
And the credit card companies, the banks, some governments... Bitcoin is not a thorn in their side. It's an existential threat and, as with Occupy, they're doing their thing to make it go away. How much of the regulatory and legislative shitstorm do you think has been generated by card company lobbyists whispering into the right people's ears? Think about it.
This stuff is not conspiracy thinking. It is economic war. They're threatened, and they are attempting to crush that threat.

I was never in Occupy, I found it pedantic, but a friend was. Recently we were talking and I told her "something like that was doomed from the get go - no clear demands, no clear leaders, no vision".

This led to a very scary conversation about her experiences in Occupy. She's one of the smarter people I know, definitely not a UFO/conspiracy/NWO conspiratard. And she said, point blank, it was her experience that at least 1 out of every 4 "Occupiers" by the end of it was a fed, undercover cop, or provocateur. None of it made sense toward the end - crazies showing up to meetings, advocating violence and property damage. People with no history in activist communities whatsoever popping up with recording equipment, not journalists mind you, and asking questions and taking face shots without permission.

All that scary Cointelpro poo poo they used against Martin Luther King, Jr and others whose views were a little too ahead of the curve?

Those programs have not ended, they have just been compartmentalized and in many cases privatized. Internet trolling is big business. Social engineering and opinion "shepherding" is also big business.

Why do banks advertise on TV so much? Why do they sponsor so many stadiums?

The Buttcoiners frequently say Bitcoin is a cult. Money IS a cult: flip around a dollar bill, you'll find more occult creepiness than in the last twenty minutes of Eyes Wide Shut.

Money is a psychological phenomena, and Satoshi got the economics right for duplicating that phenomena, without needing a government to kickstart it with all of their imagery, force, and bullshit.

One of the recent favorite lines of Bitcoin detractors is "the blockchain technology is great, but the currency side of it will never work".

This is intentional, one last attempt to undermine Bitcoin in the courts of public opinion.

"The engines on this plane are great, but it will never fly."

Wrong. Currency, value transfer, is the whole loving point of Bitcoin. Notice how the trolling increased as Changetipping took off? That's because if tipping goes viral, the threat to them increases - it cannot be stopped at that point.

Also, sorry it took me so long to get to the point of this post: Bitcoin's biggest strength IS its currency aspect.

All the rest is nice bells and whistles, but currency is what Bitcoin was designed to replace. As Gates said, "Bitcoin is better than currency." He's not a dumb guy. That's one of those five word quotations that doesn't seem like much today, but in three years will appear positively prophetic in its accuracy. Bitcoin isn't just another currency. It's not just some card network for transferring ledger credit/debit balances around. It's a technology inherently better than govt-issued currency itself, just as email is inherently better than the post.
The logical conclusion, therefore, is that price does matter. Sellers - each of us - decide the price of Bitcoin. Given how much bullshit they are throwing at the wall lately trying to slow us down, I no longer recognize Bitcoin as a $350, $500, or $1,000 per coin technology.

It's become personal. I'll HODL until the bastards are out of business. Because if more of us thought like that, Bitcoin fairy tale time would be here a lot sooner. These banks and institutions are begging to be put out of business. And they know it, or the trolls and media shills wouldn't be out in force.

Time to finish the job. HODL til the bleed. For every shill who says price doesn't matter and Bitcoin will never work as money, I say it is money - more money than your derogatory surveillance and war funding Chuck E Cheese notes, more money than the heavy metal our predecessors used to have to lug around.

And price does matter. The detractors will see that this holiday season. Satoshi built a brilliant Chinese finger trap for money: it won't take much fresh seasonal demand to send all these numbers astronomical.

And I think enough of us are pissed off that we won't sell when things heat up. That's when it gets fun. To quote my favorite Bond villain, "Hello, James. Welcome. Do you like the island? My grandmother had an island. Nothing to boast of. You could walk around it in an hour, but still it was, it was a paradise for us. One summer, we went for a visit and discovered the place had been infested with rats. They'd come on a fishing boat and gorged themselves on coconut. So how do you get rats off an island? Hmm? My grandmother showed me. We buried an oil drum and hinged the lid. Then we wired coconut to the lid as bait and the rats would come for the coconut and... they would fall into the drum. And after a month, you have trapped all the rats, but what do you do then? Throw the drum into the ocean? Burn it? No. You just leave it and they begin to get hungry. And one by one... they start eating each other until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what? Do you kill them? No. You take them and release them into the trees, but now they don't eat coconut anymore. Now, they only eat rat. You have changed their nature. The two survivors. This is what she made us."

We're going to change their nature. We want it badder than they do, and the future is ours.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Linguica posted:

I understand if you don’t care, but we really are interested in partnering with Bitcoin in a mutually-beneficial way. If you help us take down Gawker by sending emails, we can help make sure that Bitcoin plays a part in the next generation of online games journalism.

fyi y'all, this is a good thing to point to if you want prima facie evidence that gamergate is not about ethics.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
bitcoiners: holding up literal cannibal rats as role models

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
yes let's quote a bond villain, that will make us look less cartoonish

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

yes let's quote a bond villain, that will make us look less cartoonish

the bond villain that had the bitcoin mining operation in his chinese island fortress too. it makes perfect sense.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
lol skyfall sucks

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Greed is eternal posted:

lol skyfall sucks

:agreed:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

lmao if your favourite bond villain isn't from a connery or moore film

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Feels good to be an investor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

before:

after:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

My PIN is 4826 posted:

lmao if your favourite bond villain isn't from a connery or moore film

Goldfinger was, and remains, the best villain.

He would look at Bitcoin and go "God this is stupid", then gas everyone in the room with neurotoxins.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I like the new buttcoin article that doesn't mention buttcoins

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

InShaneee posted:

it does have a shitton of vaguely relevant links though. it's like reading wired

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PleasureKevin posted:

I just went to my grandmas funeral and she's Mormon so they put her coffin within a giant gold coffin.

but my dad is orthodox Christian so after everyone left and before they closed the gold coffin and lowered it he sprinkled dirt on it. I thought it was kinda disrespectful. and at every opportunity he did that cross thing whee you tap your forehead, then abdomen and shoulders, which they don't do in Mormonism.

I hope you like my post

was it his mom or your mom's mom

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

duTrieux. posted:

fyi y'all, this is a good thing to point to if you want prima facie evidence that gamergate is not about ethics.

r/kotakuinaction is debatably worse/funnier than r/bitcoin

they got kicked out of a reddit that was dedicated to pointing out hilariously extremist stuff on tumblr because none of them seemed to understand that the point was to point and laugh at the complete absurdity of it all rather than pooptouch and sjw brigade about ~~INTERNET FEMINISM AND HOW IT RUINS GAMING~~ so it's totally unsurprising to see them somehow conflated with bitcoin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PleasureKevin posted:

I just went to my grandmas funeral and she's Mormon so they put her coffin within a giant gold coffin.

but my dad is orthodox Christian so after everyone left and before they closed the gold coffin and lowered it he sprinkled dirt on it. I thought it was kinda disrespectful. and at every opportunity he did that cross thing whee you tap your forehead, then abdomen and shoulders, which they don't do in Mormonism.

I hope you like my post

lol gold coffins

lol lol

your dad was showing respect and getting closure hth
also thats the sign of the cross
did he do left shoulder and right, or vice versa? literal wars have been fought over this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sometimes i miss being Catholic As gently caress. Atrocities aside, the culture and history is really enveloping and it makes you feel like you're part of a bigger thing.

i'm no believer though

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

catholic boys know all about being around bigger things, etc

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
we're just like bond villains: guaranteed to succeed

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i meant bitcoiners, but i guess catholics as well

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

to clarify the dirt went in the gold coff

Jonny 290 posted:

lol gold coffins

lol lol

your dad was showing respect and getting closure hth
also thats the sign of the cross
did he do left shoulder and right, or vice versa? literal wars have been fought over this

yes but my dad is a huge contrarian and I just know he neurotically has to stick it to his mum and family at every turn

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

my dad is a huge contrarian and I just know he neurotically has to stick it to his mum

a bit oedipal too by the sounds of it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PleasureKevin posted:

to clarify the dirt went in the gold coff

yes but my dad is a huge contrarian and I just know he neurotically has to stick it to his mum and family at every turn
still counts as closure. who the gently caress is he disrespectging. nobody knew and she dead

Jonny 290 posted:

sometimes i miss being Catholic As gently caress. Atrocities aside, the culture and history is really enveloping and it makes you feel like you're part of a bigger thing.

i'm no believer though

have you ever read The Sparrow, it is good and related to that feeling

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

InShaneee posted:

no see the guy himself is starting to sound like a bitcoiner so there's the connection

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Greyhawk posted:

no see the guy himself is starting to sound like a bitcoiner so there's the connection

the guy himself is a bitcoiner.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
buttcoin is bitcoins all the way down

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

it does have a shitton of vaguely relevant links though. it's like reading wired
i'm the link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering for all the people reading a buttcoin blog who haven't heard of money laundering

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i always liked when the buttcoin articles were just "a bitcoiner did a dumb thing" and didn't try to be wacky zany

because as famed movie reviewer mike stoklasa said "Brevity is the soul of wit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hi Bitcoiners, I just wanted to let you know that you have more support than you realize. We at r/KotakuInAction know exactly how you feel because we're going through the exact same thing. I'm a member of both subs and keep an eye on everything, and I can't help but notice how much we have in common.

Just in case you don't know what i'm talking about, let me backtrack. KiA is a subreddit that was made to discuss the recent Gamergate controversy that's been lighting up the internet. I know what you're thinking: What the heck is that?

Allow me to share some info with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsPai-0Ov8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4 http://gamergate.me/ http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/e...mes-Journalism/

There's been rumblings of a civil war in the left between the moderates and the more extreme identity politiks known as “SJWs”- Social Justice Warriors.. Gamergate seems to be a part of that, and it has recently pushed a large amount of young democrats in a more libertarian direction. What really set the entire controversy on fire was the "Gamers are dead" scandal: 12 Gaming magazines released articles claiming that gamers were dead, on the exact same day. We discovered a secret group of journalists were colluding to manipulate the content of the newspapers, akin to JournoList. As you can imagine, things exploded after this. That was three months ago. This is now. We’re still going strong, but we need backup.

Just like Bitcoin is a decentralized currency, Gamergate is a leaderless consumer revolt that's aiming for a free-market in games media, one that's free of corruption. I personally believe that Bitcoin can be a huge help with this thanks to the incredible blockchain technology. http://redd.it/2ggkgp We’ve repeatedly asked for the media organizations involved to talk to us, but instead they have continued to slander and insult their own readership, claiming that they’ve done no wrong. It’s been a horrible past few weeks. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/11/199...t-just-go-away/

The reason i'm posting this here is because we're looking for allies in our fight. Like you, we've been getting a lot of heat in the media lately. They've told incredible lies about us, and engaged in character-assassination. Like you, we have to deal with paid shills and trolls running rampant, trying to stir up trouble and destroy us from the inside. Most people in KiA are left-libertarian or anarcho-capitalists/anarchists just like here. We even have our own version of r/buttcoin- it's called r/gamerghazi, and just like buttcoin everything there solely exists to mock and debase us.

People in support of our campaign decided that enough was enough, and that Gawker Media- the largest of the 12 websites responsible for the vicious “Gamers are dead” attacks- Needed to come down. In desperation, we launched a consumer boycott of the website that consisted of emailing advertisers. It’s called operation Disrespectful Nod: http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/...srespectful_Nod http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/Boycott_List

It’s a complicated story, but if you want to know more feel free to ask away in the subreddit.

I want to find people interested in helping create a new Journalism website that would use Bitcoin + other cryptocurrencies to crowdfund writers via microdonations. In this way, the corrupting influence of advertisers and special political interests would be removed. The Bitcoin community has a large amount of technical expertise that would be really helpful to get something like this done. If successful, it could drive major adoption of bitcoin for use as a digital game currency of some sort. If anyone is interested or knows someone who could help, please reply or send me a PM. Thanks for reading, and we await your replies.

• Locked thread