Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My Band is shipping out today. I should have just gone to the drat mall and bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

My Band is shipping out today. I should have just gone to the drat mall and bought one.

They're impossible to find at the mall so you probably did the right thing.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ugh. I am about 80% sure that I want to buy a Band myself, but everything I have read about them basically says "they are awesome but also uncomfortable and you always know you're wearing one." The last two bits are holding me up, since wearing an uncomfortable exercise band feels like it is defeating the purpose. Oh well, hopefully the reviewers are mostly small waisted alarmists, since everything else about the band seems so so good.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
The band is clearly a fitness accessory, not a smart watch. I think everyone got confused because there were so many Microsoft smart watch rumors that everyone thought that it was a smart watch. It appears things got muddled along the way at Microsoft and maybe they played into a bit but think a lot of it's flaws come from the idea that you should wear it as an all the time thing and not just when working out.

As a fitness device and not a smart watch I think it works as intended and is priced right, Microsoft needs to course correct a little bit and make it clear that although you can wear it all the time they are really going after Fitbit and Garmin, not Android Wear.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I wear my Fitbit Flex 24/7...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Thermopyle posted:

I wear my Fitbit Flex 24/7...

As do I, I meant more the Surge, likely the Charge. I like the Flex a lot but based on being a young urbanite the Flex seems almost a functional fashion accessory given it's small size and swappable bands, the Band, not so much.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm surprised people care about an MS watch.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm surprised people care about an MS watch.

I believe you are trolling but its really a Trojan horse for their ~10 sensors~ and Microsoft Health. Its like the Wild West with all the fitness databases and Microsoft is clearly making a play with the fit band and licensing its sensors (thus Microsoft Health) to manufacturers.

I like the MS Health database. You can print out sheet for your doctor to interface with it for medical information. We need a standard for e-health info sharing in the US and the Microsoft band is the first serious crack at getting it into the masses. Make no mistake though, Redmond wants its health platform to be the next Microsoft Office.

Oh and it happens to tell time.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm not trolling. It had zero hype ahead of time and people are pretty down on MS hardware these days.

I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion on it myself.

And in my Canadian province they've already established a combined health card/driver's licence/goverment services card. It's pretty useless on the medical side currently (basically just to prevent non-citizens from getting free health care) but they intend to have it store the same kind of info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qTHCBhSyeQ

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I would buy the MS Band so hard if it just disappeared from my consciousness like the Flex does.

As it is, it seems a bit too bulky. Need to check one out in person.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
I bought the Band on day one and I haven't found it to be uncomfortable or overly noticeable. I have pretty skinny wrists although I was used to wearing pretty giant watches so that may have eased the transition. The only times I get really conscious of wearing it are when I'm washing my hands.

So far the data it collects and ease of use have been great. It would be nice if sleep and workout detection were automatic but for a first gen product I'm happy with it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they expand the MS Health platform because it's already been significantly more useful to me than Apple Health on my iPhone.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

For those of you with the Band, how much of the 64MB internal memory is available?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So far:

The Bad:
> It is bulky but not terribly so; I wear it on the same side as a watch (inside of wrist) which got annoying with a elastic sleeve jacket but fine with a loose sleeve coat;
> The screen is flat, the general shape is square. Your wrist is neither;
> The sizing charts are off - I'm snug while bottomed out on the L, I'd prefer the M to get a little more snug while running;
> The screen is a tad unresponsive with phantom presses and ignoring swipes;
> There's a 0h0m sleep cycle I accidentally put in there which crashes the Microsoft Health app and can't be deleted;
> The colour screen is unnecessary and too small. B&W looks best anyway;
> No music control beyond Cortana commands;
> The app is a little playschool on phablets;
> The clasp in on the outside with the screen on the inside of your wrist. This is stupid and looks stupid;
> Unless you're next to your phone 24/7 notifications and messages don't "catch up" when you're back in bluetooth range. There are gaps;
> The alarms don't work when the sleep tracker's on. Unless I'm doing something wrong?
> Touchscreen loses sensitivity with sweaty fingers.
> Easily scratchable (plastic?) screen
> The band texture is too sticky, gets tangled in coat linings
> Dismissing an alarm on the Band will not stop your phone across the room from beeping

The Good:
> Check notifications without fishing in your pocket! I have a 1520 so doubly so;
> Talk txt mssgs into your wrist;
> Fairly unobtrusive for an always on device. Not invisible, not a burden (except with the wrong jacket see above), closer to the invisible end of the spectrum;
> Fitness stuff I guess (I haven't been to the gym since yesterday's delivery);
> I know I woke up 7 times last night, slept for 5.5hrs;

Overall: a good companion to phablets, possible health benefits beyond curiosity. A little rudimentary and Beta so far, though I like where it's going.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 6, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What exactly does the MS band do, integration-wise, if you've got an iPhone? I assume it's only the barest of bare with regards to notification support, etc?

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

What exactly does the MS band do, integration-wise, if you've got an iPhone? I assume it's only the barest of bare with regards to notification support, etc?

It's my understanding that it does everything except integrate with Siri, so you'd get the same notifications you would from your phones notifications system.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Some random LG G Watch R reviews:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/04/lg-g-watch-r-review/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/4/7149011/lg-g-watch-r-review
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-g-watch-r/

LG G Watch R is now available for sale for $299:
http://www.att.com/wearables/lg-g-watch-r.html

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pocketnow doesn't seem to like the Band very much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRo8nyujUU

My Gear Fit was very similar (if not significantly better looking) and I hated it.

I finally understand why it's getting attention though - it's the only modern wearable for iOS/Windows Phone users.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

So far:

The Bad:
> It is bulky but not terribly so; I wear it on the same side as a watch (inside of wrist) which got annoying with a elastic sleeve jacket but fine with a loose sleeve coat;
> The screen is flat, the general shape is square. Your wrist is neither;
> The sizing charts are off - I'm snug while bottomed out on the L, I'd prefer the M to get a little more snug while running;
> The screen is a tad unresponsive with phantom presses and ignoring swipes;
> There's a 0h0m sleep cycle I accidentally put in there which crashes the Microsoft Health app and can't be deleted;
> The colour screen is unnecessary and too small. B&W looks best anyway;
> No music control beyond Cortana commands;
> The app is a little playschool on phablets;
> The clasp in on the outside with the screen on the inside of your wrist. This is stupid and looks stupid;
> Unless you're next to your phone 24/7 notifications and messages don't "catch up" when you're back in bluetooth range. There are gaps;

The Good:
> Check notifications without fishing in your pocket! I have a 1520 so doubly so;
> Talk txt mssgs into your wrist;
> Fairly unobtrusive for an always on device. Not invisible, not a burden (except with the wrong jacket see above), closer to the invisible end of the spectrum;
> Fitness stuff I guess (I haven't been to the gym since yesterday's delivery);
> I know I woke up 7 times last night, slept for 5.5hrs;

Overall: a good companion to phablets, possible health benefits beyond curiosity. A little rudimentary and Beta so far, though I like where it's going.

To add:

The Bad
> The band texture is too sticky, gets tangled in coat linings
> Dismissing an alarm on the Band will not stop your phone across the room from beeping

I don't have any flights coming up but Cortana is loving awesome at collating the useful information on travel. Has anyone seen how this integrates with the Band notifications?

EDIT: it integrates poorly. No notifications seem to come through in a timely manner, only after the fact.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 6, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I've had my Band for a day now and I'm generally pretty satisfied.

Good:
-The flat part of the band fits well with the flatter parts of my wrist with no issues. Maybe I just have massive, flat wrists?
-I like the color screen, even if it isn't strictly necessary.
-I'm wearing it palm-side everywhere but the gym and it fits just fine under my serious business adult shirt. If your wrist was tight before, you might need to go up to the other button.
-Shirt sleeve acts as secondary screen protector
-Fitness stuff worked well
-Heartrate monitor tracked pretty closely with the one built into the cardio machine I used.
-Synced with MyFitnessPal and Runkeeper (free version) automatically.
-Sleep tracker is informative and unobtrusive. The alarm vibration lets me get up early without waking up my girlfriend.
-Starbucks integration a neat trick and (hopefully) a sign of things to come. I used it to buy a cup of coffee in Nowhere, Idaho and it worked seamlessly. Please let me do this with my credit cards and tie access to a fingerprint of my heartbeat.
-Connection to my phone isn't constant: The Band is paired, but doesn't "connect" to the phone so I can still use my Bluetooth headphones. I'm not sure if it connects to updated data or if it's just passed passively.

Bad (or user-error):
-No option to flip/change the display orientation. Wearing it palm side I need to dig under my shirt sleeve to turn it on. Vertical orientation might be a little less awkward to check on the down-low too.
-Can't set up my own workouts? It's cool that Band will walk me through Men's Health's Shredded Abs in 20 minutes, but I have my own workout plan thank you very much. I would love it if it told me my next exercise, let me select weight/reps, and buzzed at the end of my cooldown period. Maybe that functionality is coming with another partnership?
-Bug at the very end of set up where it had difficulty communicating with my Samsung S4 and gave me the helpful text: Something went wrong. Unknown Error. Retrying, re-starting the phone (couldn't figure out how to reset the Band), and fiddling with my phone's Bluetooth did nothing. I solved the problem by asking for a call from Microsoft tech support. The error cleared right as they called.)
-Came with a charging cable but no AC connector. Though I guess if they have to skimp somewhere to hit the $200 price point I'm glad they did it there.
-If there's a charge level indicator, I haven't found it yet. I don't doubt that there's a low battery warning, but I'd rather plan around it rather than have it hit an a bad time.

Sad:
-Not even Microsoft bothers to write native apps for Microsoft Metro. How hard would it have been to adapt the Windows phone app?
-Get hosed, our customers: There's some sort of Sync program for Windows. I don't know what the gently caress it does though because it supports Win7 and 8.1 versions Pro and up.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Swipe right on the main screen for battery, BT, and a heart.

Which size did you get? Did you size off the helpful graphic or try in person?

I need to replace mine with an M for the workout-snugness. Not sure how to do it while they're all out of stock and from judging from the just 2 days of wear and tear it's going to be destroyed by the end of the 30 day period. Do I just not use it? Anyone have experience with MS returns? Can I take back a clearly used item?

EDIT: the alarms don't work when the sleep tracker's on. Unless I'm doing something wrong?
EDIT EDIT: touchscreen loses sensitivity with sweaty fingers.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 6, 2014

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Subterfrugal posted:

I've had my Band for a day now and I'm generally pretty satisfied.

Pretty similar experience here after a few days here are my thoughts.

It's clearly a product that was brought out sooner rather than waiting for it to be perfect. The screen for me is the biggest point. Not only would I advise people to put the protector on immediately (preferably having someone at a ms store do it), but know that the screen itself is slightly inset from the bezel which means with the protector on, there is a noticeable line around the screen, even assuming you get out the air bubbles from the protector.

Feel wise, I have never really worn a watch or anything, and measured myself using the printout and ordered a large which was right on. The band is thick in most places, maybe 50% more on the sides and bottom than a typical watch might be but I don't notice it while I'm wearing it. I think if you have smaller wrists it may feel bigger relatively, and will definitely look more like you're on parole and being monitored. I'd definitely suggest trying them on.

I like the band but I can definitely see how the next version will be a lot better in many respects. It's a great start and very good relative to some other products I've tried but it does feel like it's slightly rushed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Thanks for cluing me on where to find the battery level. I used the graphic to pick my size, but I was clearly a large. If you're close, I would suggest trying it on in person.

The alarm worked with the sleep-tracker on for me. I didn't do anything special, but I vaguely recall setting the alarm after starting sleep tracking.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I'm not sure who has been down on Microsoft hardware lately considering how rock solid the SP3 is outside of the niggling wifi issue which is software related anyway. *

I'm lusting after the band but going to wait until 2nd gen before pulling the trigger.

Edit:
*I forgot MS has phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the SP3 is fantastic.

A few weeks on with my Moto 360 and I'm still completely satisfied. I've never had an issue where I would have been running for an outlet to charge. It's also saved me a few missed calls here and there.

On the style front, reactions I've gotten have been interesting. I've had at least two self professed watch 'enthusiasts' mistake it for a $2k+ designer watch and were really surprised when I told them it was a smartwatch made by an electronics company.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Subterfrugal posted:

-Connection to my phone isn't constant: The Band is paired, but doesn't "connect" to the phone so I can still use my Bluetooth headphones. I'm not sure if it connects to updated data or if it's just passed passively.

I'm a little unclear what this means.

You can usually have multiple BT devices connected to a phone at once.

Anyway, I believe the band is BT LE/4.0/whatever which doesn't maintain a constant connection. So not particular to the band, just the BT protocol it uses.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm annoyed at myself - just put a pebble steel band on my 360 and now I love it. But I did it to sell it, because two android wear watches at the same time is ridiculous. But now I can't decide. :( LG is superior hardware but 360 looks so slick.

edit: using 360 again for a while made me remember how laggy it is. It is the Touchwiz of Android Wear. :byewhore: jk still a good watch, but wait for 2nd gen at this point.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 7, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of metal bands and the 360.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2014/11/moto-360-choose-watch-that-fits-your.html

quote:

New metal offerings
Moto 360 now comes with metal bands that are as durable as they are beautiful. Crafted from aircraft-grade stainless steel, these bands feature a modern, contemporary tri-link design that complements the round face of Moto 360. Starting today, Moto 360 with light and dark metal bands are available on motorola.com for $299. Coming soon, we will offer Moto 360 with new slim bands, which is an option for smaller wrists or for people who want a different look. Slim bands will be available in time for the holidays in light metal ($299) and a brand new champagne gold finish ($329).

New accessory bands
Already have a Moto 360? Well offer interchangeable stone, black and cognac leather bands along with light and dark metal bands. Plus, weve partnered with some really cool brands through our M4DE program to bring you even more choices. DODOcase will offer stitched leather bands in four new colors. TYLT is working on colorful silicone bands to give you an entirely new look.

Also, bonus new watchface incoming

quote:

New watch faces
Choose from new watch face designs or even create your own. The new My Design watch face option allows you to customize everything from the background image to the style of the tick marks and watch hands. Weve also added the watch face created by the winner of our Moto 360 Design Face-Off. These new watch face options will be available for all Moto 360 watches through an update on the Moto Connect app1 within the next few days.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

:byewhore: jk still a good watch, but wait for 2nd gen at this point.

That's a shame because it looks a ton better than the LG. The LG would look better if it didn't have the super oversized band lugs on either end, and I assume all that space is probably stuffed with battery.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm annoyed at myself - just put a pebble steel band on my 360 and now I love it. But I did it to sell it, because two android wear watches at the same time is ridiculous. But now I can't decide. :( LG is superior hardware but 360 looks so slick.

edit: using 360 again for a while made me remember how laggy it is. It is the Touchwiz of Android Wear. :byewhore: jk still a good watch, but wait for 2nd gen at this point.

How did you get your information cards to be dark on the 360? Is that just a feature of the Digital watch face, or what?

e: Oh, I see. Ambient Mode.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Asus zenwatch $199. Available sunday.

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-zenwatch-hits-best-buy-stores-november-9-07354508/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edit: ^Damnit.

Zenwatch goes on sale in the us on the 9th in Best Buy for $199

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/07/asus-zenwatch-goes-on-sale-in-us-starting-november-9-for-199/

This would have been my 2nd choice after the 360. It's also not round, but it still manages to look like a real watch with it's design.

The only detraction I've heard of it thus far is the large face makes the lug to lug distance large which can make it uncomfortable for those with small wrists.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Was wondering how the oled watches avoid burn in. Looks like they are using pixel orbiting ~11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF13IRZRnmQ

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The new Moto Connect just hit the play store.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Ooh more watch faces

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Particularly pleased to see a date option on all the existing faces, that was an obvious omission and will be useful.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love being able to put my own picture up there on a watch face and customize the hands and numbers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I guess nobody informed bestbuy that they were launching the asus watch today?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

I guess nobody informed bestbuy that they were launching the asus watch today?

I believe you are under a mistaken impression that Best Buy is actually 'managed' and is a 'store' instead of a flea market of new electronics that a truck dumps on to the floor once a week staffed by people who couldn't manage to find their way out of the store the previous week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also a watch? Who cares about a watch, buy a TV you nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

I believe you are under a mistaken impression that Best Buy is actually 'managed' and is a 'store' instead of a flea market of new electronics that a truck dumps on to the floor once a week staffed by people who couldn't manage to find their way out of the store the previous week.

amazon should just buy BB and turn it into a showroom that only sells mail order. Its basically that already.