Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got my mom a Nokia 521 Windows Phone, planning on using it was a dumb phone. She's on the (I think discontinued) 1500 minutes or messages for $30/month plan. I turned off all cellular data services. I got a new SIM card (her old flip phone used a full sized one) and everything works fine except picture messages. My sister sent her a couple of the grandkids and there's just a link to download them, which doesn't do anything when clicked on. I sent a test message from the phone and it fails to send every time. Regular SMS works fine.

I found some APN settings online and those seem to be in order.

Not sure if there is something I'm missing or if she should just go to the TMobile store and complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I come across this occasionally at work and I am 99.9% sure that it's because you have cellular data turned off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MMS works over cellular data? I thought it was designed to be used by dumb phones and worked like a regular SMS messages.

So is there no way to send/receive picture messages without a data plan?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Uthor posted:

MMS works over cellular data? I thought it was designed to be used by dumb phones and worked like a regular SMS messages.

So is there no way to send/receive picture messages without a data plan?

IIRC it is a part of the texting messaging part of the plan. your cell data just needs to be turned on.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How hosed am I if my Test Drive order is marked as delivered but it's nowhere to be found? UPS apparently wasn't required to get a signature on $700 worth of iPhone so the only proof of delivery I have is a note on the tracking page that says "porch".

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Karthe posted:

How hosed am I if my Test Drive order is marked as delivered but it's nowhere to be found? UPS apparently wasn't required to get a signature on $700 worth of iPhone so the only proof of delivery I have is a note on the tracking page that says "porch".

You're pretty hosed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Karthe posted:

Try calling UPS/T-Mobile but honestly you're pretty hosed.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The main test drive page says specifically that it must be signed for, so you may have a small chance of deflecting blame to UPS?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

esperantinc posted:

The main test drive page says specifically that it must be signed for, so you may have a small chance of deflecting blame to UPS?
Oh my god, thank you for pointing that out! I had forgotten where I'd read that, I wasn't sure why I thought a signature was necessary but it says right there. There's definitely no signature on the tracking page so I think that'll be my saving grace when I call support today.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Any TMobile employees here? Will be joining soon and need my monthly bill to be due around the 6th of the month. When do I need to start service to meet that due date?

Also, whats the best Android phone out right now that I can get on TMobile and use their installment plan? N5? I can still get them in stores in my area

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bryn987 posted:

Also, whats the best Android phone out right now that I can get on TMobile and use their installment plan? N5? I can still get them in stores in my area

LG G3
Nexus 6
Nexus 5 is still good, cheap, and "small".

I don't see it on TMobile's site, but you can get a Moto X on an installment plan directly from Motorola.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

bryn987 posted:

Any TMobile employees here? Will be joining soon and need my monthly bill to be due around the 6th of the month. When do I need to start service to meet that due date?

I'm finding myself really loving the z3. And it's waterproof and has an SD card slot. It's also incredible fast, with awesome battery life. Unplugged 10 hours ago and I'm at 60 percent.

I think it is far better than the other options at t mobile.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://spectrum-gateway.appspot.com/t-mobile-700-mhz-spectrum.html

Looking at this, does this mean band 12 (700Mhz) won't (for the forseeable future) be usable in the Chicago area? I was starting to worry that if I wanted a band 12 phone, I'd be stuck choosing between the Nexus 6 (which exists as wishes and dreams) or the Note 4, but if it's going to be literally impossible to get in my area, it really opens up my choices.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Deathlove posted:

https://spectrum-gateway.appspot.com/t-mobile-700-mhz-spectrum.html

Looking at this, does this mean band 12 (700Mhz) won't (for the forseeable future) be usable in the Chicago area? I was starting to worry that if I wanted a band 12 phone, I'd be stuck choosing between the Nexus 6 (which exists as wishes and dreams) or the Note 4, but if it's going to be literally impossible to get in my area, it really opens up my choices.

Those TV stations are probably going to be migrated in a timeframe of at least 2+ years, so you'd be in the market for a newer phone by then anyway. I wouldn't let lack of band 12 be a blocker for you in the Chicagoland area this year. (nb: I'm also in this zone, but I do have a Note 4)

Next year and the year after? I'd definitely only consider devices that have or are promised band 12 support.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ruby idiot railed posted:

Those TV stations are probably going to be migrated in a timeframe of at least 2+ years, so you'd be in the market for a newer phone by then anyway. I wouldn't let lack of band 12 be a blocker for you in the Chicagoland area this year. (nb: I'm also in this zone, but I do have a Note 4)

Next year and the year after? I'd definitely only consider devices that have or are promised band 12 support.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks so much!

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Does T-Mobile offer discounts if you work for certain companies?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

bryn987 posted:

Only for federal government employees.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bryn987 posted:

Yes, mine does, and I do not work for the government.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Yes, mine does, and I do not work for the government.

Weird, I remember reading that they killed the advantage program for everyone except federal employees. Do you know if your company was grandfathered in?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Hakarne posted:

Weird, I remember reading that they killed the advantage program for everyone except federal employees. Do you know if your company was grandfathered in?

No clue. It's a very large company though, so it could be possible. They offer discounts to ATT/Verizon/Sprint as well.

It is through the Advantage program, we get 10% off service, activation fees waived, all that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

No clue. It's a very large company though, so it could be possible. They offer discounts to ATT/Verizon/Sprint as well.

It is through the Advantage program, we get 10% off service, activation fees waived, all that.

There was an announcement back in March that employee discounts were going away. People were mad. TMobile backtracked.

If you had a discount you can keep it, but going forward the program has been reduced to $25 gift cards on new devices or something.

Here's a press release: http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/02/t-mobile-backtracks-on-plan-to-eliminate-corporate-discounts/

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I used my work email to sign up for corporateperks.com and get (I think) 15% off T-mobile service, but I did that as soon as I saw they were ending the discounts.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Any update on when they're going to add Google music to the no data cap list?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
If I got one of those cool $30/month unlimited data & test deals from Walmart what's the process for porting my Verizon number over to T-Mobile? I have the account number and last 4 of the social of the account holder, will I need to call T-Mobile or visit a store to do that?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Shoren posted:

If I got one of those cool $30/month unlimited data & test deals from Walmart what's the process for porting my Verizon number over to T-Mobile? I have the account number and last 4 of the social of the account holder, will I need to call T-Mobile or visit a store to do that?

IIRC as part of the online activation it asks you if you want to port a number or get a new one, so you do it then.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I know T Mobile isn't launching the N6 until next week, but did the stores with displays put those out, at least?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
My contract is ending this month and I want to get in on this cheap T-Mobile plan. I was looking to get a Nexus 5, but the site lists it as out of stock. If I buy one off Amazon that is "factory unlocked" and make sure it is the D820 version for the US, then I can just order a T-mobile sim card? Then once they both arrive I can select the $30 plan and move my number over, correct? I've never messed with pre-paid plans or buying phones from anyone else but the carriers before.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Manifest Dynasty posted:

My contract is ending this month and I want to get in on this cheap T-Mobile plan. I was looking to get a Nexus 5, but the site lists it as out of stock. If I buy one off Amazon that is "factory unlocked" and make sure it is the D820 version for the US, then I can just order a T-mobile sim card? Then once they both arrive I can select the $30 plan and move my number over, correct? I've never messed with pre-paid plans or buying phones from anyone else but the carriers before.

Yes you can use any phone that is compatible with the tmobile network. Get the n5 from amazon and activate the sim card online with the $30 dork plan.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

r0ck0 posted:

Yes you can use any phone that is compatible with the tmobile network. Get the n5 from amazon and activate the sim card online with the $30 dork plan.

This is correct, but you should buy an activation kit from T-Mobile. They often go on sale for free or $1. If you try to activate any T-Mobile sim, you'll get stuck when it asks you to enter an activation code, which you can only get in the kit (or possibly from some scummy guy on eBay).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Also you should setup automatic refills at callingmart. Its cheaper, no tax and if you use my referral link it adds a bonus.

http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/wirelesscards.aspx?af=8847b1ba-5229-41ca-be7f-07ef535bfb94&bn=10

You need to choose this one and set it to load $30 each month.

T-Mobile To Go RTR/Topup - Auto Load To Phone

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="437776417"]
This is correct, but you should buy an activation kit from T-Mobile. They often go on sale for free or $1. If you try to activate any T-Mobile sim, you'll get stuck when it asks you to enter an activation code, which you can only get in the kit (or possibly from some scummy guy on eBay).

You can call into TMo and they can generate an activation code for you on the phone and use it to activate your SIM immediately.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

bobfather posted:

You can call into TMo and they can generate an activation code for you on the phone and use it to activate your SIM immediately.

While true, it's a gigantic loving hassle that he should avoid. Chances are he'll get someone who won't know how to do it. Or he'll get someone that is convinced they shouldn't. Just dodge the issue and get the activation kit.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="437790265"]
While true, it's a gigantic loving hassle that he should avoid. Chances are he'll get someone who won't know how to do it. Or he'll get someone that is convinced they shouldn't. Just dodge the issue and get the activation kit.

This seems to have just happened to me - my browser crashed mid-activation (don't use Chrome to activate :gonk: ), and when I called in for a new number, they wouldn't give it to me. Guess I'll skid over to Walmart tomorrow and hope for the best.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Deathlove posted:

This seems to have just happened to me - my browser crashed mid-activation (don't use Chrome to activate :gonk: ), and when I called in for a new number, they wouldn't give it to me. Guess I'll skid over to Walmart tomorrow and hope for the best.

Keep escalating until you find someone who can do it. It's definitely possible, but they either don't know how or aren't allowed. Alternatively, buy one off eBay.

My method was to just keep saying "I understand that you don't know how, but I know for a fact that it's possible because I've done it before. If you can't do it, can I talk to your manager, and hopefully he can?"

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="437826327"]
Keep escalating until you find someone who can do it. It's definitely possible, but they either don't know how or aren't allowed. Alternatively, buy one off eBay.

My method was to just keep saying "I understand that you don't know how, but I know for a fact that it's possible because I've done it before. If you can't do it, can I talk to your manager, and hopefully he can?"

Spent an hour trying to find someone that would do it and man, my time just ain't worth it. So, I bought a key off ebay and went to bed.

When I woke up, I had the key, and the transfer on the phone had already gone through. So, I've got an extra key if someone wants one!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Welp, I thought I had a $30 balance in my prepaid account ready for my $30 plan to reup. I woke up without a working phone due to insufficient funds.

After 45 minutes on the line with 611 I find out that sometime last week my plan got flipped to charging $0.10 per MMS.

Is there seriously no way to get an itemized charge list or even a billing history on prepaid? In two months with T-Mo, this is the third time I've had to call for billing issues.

Birdemani
Nov 4, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

I've been thinking the Nexus 6 is the right time to switch over to T-Mobile from Sprint. I've enjoyed the Google Voice integration however the WiFi calling next year will more than make up for it. My personal complaint with Sprint echoes what many others say, when I am on the north side I am often without a signal. Even a simple trip down the Red/Brown line from Addison into the city will present at least 10 dead spots on a Nexus 5 using their brand new network. Without derailing the thread, are you happy enough with the service inside the city to suggest making the switch? Would you say that the indoor signals are still lacking on T-Mobile in Chicago, I know that used to be a popular complaint.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

If you're concerned about coverage: http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial
It's free, you borrow an iPhone 5S for a week and return it unbroken (with Find My iPhone turned off) to a retail store, and hopefully it works well enough that you decide to purchase service.

Re: activation issues: yeah, prepaid customer service is outsourced and lovely. In-house CS, roaming, and equipment installment plans are pretty much the only difference between pre/postpaid at this point: you're saving a bunch of money, but getting less in return.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Long Francesco posted:

Any update on when they're going to add Google music to the no data cap list?

I don't know if logistically they can. As far as I know everything Google does is encrypted and not split between what app is doing it. So T-Mo just sees a big pipe of Google, I could be horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

LionYeti posted:

I don't know if logistically they can. As far as I know everything Google does is encrypted and not split between what app is doing it. So T-Mo just sees a big pipe of Google, I could be horribly wrong.

Why did they give it as an option on their survey?