Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

So holy poo poo I just unlocked Boss Rush :stonk:

and then used Telepills to go straight to Mama Gurdy who trashed my rear end instantly :stonk: :stonk:

Also: made the huuuuuuuge mistake of picking up Soy Milk with Azazel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The first and only time I've seen Mama Gurdy was when I had a completely absurd Brimstone + Krampus' Head build as Eve. I assume she's difficult but I wouldn't know.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, if you're gonna do the orbit challenge then do it before you unlock Necropolis. Trying to kill masks of infamy with those lovely tears is an exercise in frustration.

That's what bombs are for. Blow the door open and leave.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
:stare: Oh god, the D100 rerolls EVERYTHING! Your items, anything on the floor, enemies in the room, items on pedestals...

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I was really excited about beating mom's heart in the suicide king challenge before I saw the light leading up to the cathedral.

I wasn't excited after that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

:siren: PS4 patch is out!! :siren:

Deleted my broken save and I'll happily just play on PS4 until a Vita patch comes out too.

Sync is now manual. Kind of goofy they can't figure out how to do that properly, but at least I can safely play now.

Otherwise it contains the Steam fixes too. Really surprised Sony got this out so quick.

edit: no confirmation when downloading from cloud and replacing your file. Gotta be careful!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 10, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I was really excited about beating mom's heart in the suicide king challenge before I saw the light leading up to the cathedral.

I wasn't excited after that.

I had this happen to me in the family man challenge and lost on Isaac :(. I had so many familiars following me too it wasn't funny I thought for sure I would win. Along with the three I start with I had dark bum, ghost baby, little steven, and little gish. But it wasn't enough I didn't make it to Isaac with enough HP. I also had Krampus' head plus a 48-hr energy but I used the pill on mom's heart thinking it was the end!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does the Darkness Approaches challenge just not give devil deals? Every time the devil shows up he's just offering hearts or chests.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Blowing stuff up chat: I've noticed you can get certain items from blowing up some stuff.

Pots in basement/cellar can payout with a quarter. Mushrooms in the caves/catacombs can payout with the mini mushroom or :siren: magic mushroom. :siren: The skulls in the depths/necropolis can payout with the dry baby or lil' haunt. The guys in secret rooms (that usually spawn spiders) can payout with the steam sale. Blowing up the statues in devil/angel rooms may have some interesting results as well.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mushrooms can also drops pills or any of the other mushrooms besides those two(including the Liberty Cap).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

blue fires also have a fairly decent chance of dropping soul hearts. it's more than worth it if you have spare bombs. no idea about purple fires, though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Sanctum posted:

Blowing stuff up chat: I've noticed you can get certain items from blowing up some stuff.

Pots in basement/cellar can payout with a quarter. Mushrooms in the caves/catacombs can payout with the mini mushroom or :siren: magic mushroom. :siren: The skulls in the depths/necropolis can payout with the dry baby or lil' haunt. The guys in secret rooms (that usually spawn spiders) can payout with the steam sale. Blowing up the statues in devil/angel rooms may have some interesting results as well.

If you have an item that lets you destroy stuff when you walk over them, Just walk over every skull because you'll be drowning in cards and sin hearts.

Don't do it with mushrooms though, some of them can explode and it's usually not worth it, unless you have like, book of shadows or something.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

blue fires also have a fairly decent chance of dropping soul hearts. it's more than worth it if you have spare bombs. no idea about purple fires, though.

Purple fires are exactly the same as blue except they attack you. They're like red fires.

Be careful in the womb if you have auto-break for rocks. There's some variants that spit out bullets when broken and it's just about impossible to avoid getting hit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Anyone want a seed with a Dead Cat in the curse room adjacent to the starting one?
4JYK
W2D8

Really between devil rooms and curse rooms it's not very difficult to find one.

Brother Entropy posted:

Mushrooms can also drops pills or any of the other mushrooms besides those two(including the Liberty Cap).
I'd like to point out that the Liberty Cap can still gain the compass effect occasionally, for some bizarre reason. I therefore regard it as one of the best trinkets (you can just switch between two rooms until it triggers).

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Did PHD reroll pills already on the ground after you got it in the original? I left a bad trip pill, got PHD, and came back to it being a speed up.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

If you have an item that lets you destroy stuff when you walk over them, Just walk over every skull because you'll be drowning in cards and sin hearts.

Don't do it with mushrooms though, some of them can explode and it's usually not worth it, unless you have like, book of shadows or something.

Make sure you clear the room first though, because if you spawn one of those skull dicks with other dudes in the room you'll have to kill them too.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I had a Speed Down in my inventory when I picked up PHD, and it turned it into a Speed Up. :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kaethela posted:

Purple fires are exactly the same as blue except they attack you. They're like red fires.

Be careful in the womb if you have auto-break for rocks. There's some variants that spit out bullets when broken and it's just about impossible to avoid getting hit.

that's good to know. i'd just never bothered with the purples ones before because of the chance of them getting in a cheap hit. also, i think there might be rocks in the womb that leave little puddles of the damaging red stuff as well?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't really have any emotional stake in whether Holy Mantle is nerfed, but if it is nerfed, a reasonable nerf would be for it to take the first half heart of damage in every room, rather than the first hit.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Curse of the blind just caused me to pick up Bob's Brain (which I don't totally hate) on my first run as The Lost. This was naturally after getting the Holy Mantle and a few good damage items. I died because I'm bad with Bob's Brain.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
If anyone wants to play around with Monstro's Lung, I got a pretty good seed for it:

XCNS
S1C9

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
This game needs a Flak Jacket equivalent that makes you immune to all self-caused explosions. Actually, does that exist? I forget if the first game had that.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Rocketlex posted:

This game needs a Flak Jacket equivalent that makes you immune to all self-caused explosions. Actually, does that exist? I forget if the first game had that.

It has something better. It's called "Pyromania".

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I don't really have any emotional stake in whether Holy Mantle is nerfed, but if it is nerfed, a reasonable nerf would be for it to take the first half heart of damage in every room, rather than the first hit.

Are there really people who think Holy Mantle needs a nerf? I was pretty much ok with the Dark Bum nerf, but at this point I think these people just don't really 'get' the spirit of BoI. If you're going to nerf the Mantle, why not the Wafer? Why not EVERY really good item?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rocketlex posted:

Man, have I got a thing for you.

Pyromaniac - The player receives 5 bombs.
The player gains a passive effect in which all explosions heal the player for one heart.
If used with ???, no soul hearts are generated, but he retains immunity to explosions.
This also makes the player immune to Mom's, Satan's and other enemies' stomp attacks, making those fights incredibly easy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 10, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Pyromaniac makes literally every explosion heal you by a full heart. It can make Samson runs into truly magical adventures.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One issue with the Holy Mantle is that it makes every no damage achievement incredibly easy. And again there's a difference between "awesome broken combo" and "I don't take damage lol".

ZZT the Fifth posted:

It has something better. It's called "Pyromania".
A downgraded version might make sense as a shop item though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Well it depends on which pills are available in your game. If you're getting the full heal pills and you have enough max health you can totally come out ahead from smashing the mushrooms.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pissed, I managed to kill Mom with Lazarus at like 19:45, but I decided to check out the devil room before I did the boss rush and when I came out the crack was gone.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A downgraded version might make sense as a shop item though.

Exactly what I was thinking. Have an item called Flak Jacket that's less amazing but more common than Pyromania. In reality, what it would do is apply a "Can't Hurt You" effect to all your explosions, similar to how Poison Bombs affects all explosive attacks you perform. This means enemy explosions would still hurt you. It'd appear in shops and secret rooms fairly commonly, and could also be dropped by Wrath.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Holy Mantle doesn't really need a nerf but it does feels weird to have gotten some of those no hit achievements already thanks to it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Brother Entropy posted:

Holy Mantle doesn't really need a nerf but it does feels weird to have gotten some of those no hit achievements already thanks to it.

It probably should have been a challenge unlock from something difficult like The Purist, as a measure of balance to its amazing power.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have to get all the no damage achievements to unlock it

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Are there really people who think Holy Mantle needs a nerf? I was pretty much ok with the Dark Bum nerf, but at this point I think these people just don't really 'get' the spirit of BoI. If you're going to nerf the Mantle, why not the Wafer? Why not EVERY really good item?

A lot of the nerf discussion is predicated on considering the usefulness of items in the old WotL meta rather than the actual situation in Rebirth. Dark Bum would have been absurd in WotL because your hearts could go off the screen into oblivion. Now with having a max of 12 hearts it's quite a lot less useful. I agree with the nerf making it so it doesn't drop 1:1 red hearts to soul hearts, but it was really only slightly more powerful than the Mitre.

The Mantle is in the angel room pool and fits well with the other items there. You make a good point about comparing it to the Wafer which is far more powerful. I think a lot of people are thinking it's overpowered because it makes getting the *Boy achievements easier even though it's not like those really unlock anything. In terms of the actual mechanics it's not really that crazy.

From what I gather, all the new bosses are much harder anyway. Everyone's killing Satan or Blue Baby right now with it, and thinking its bonkers OP. They're not imagining having to fight Mega Satan as The Lost or whatever other crazy nonsense is lurking around.

People are also gnashing their teeth over balance right now because the game is new. It feels like stuff is more likely to be changed in patches right now, and so they're all making a lot of noise to try to get the attention of the devs. The original game and WotL also had a lot of balance patches that happened over time, and so people are thinking this game is going to need a similar level of re-balancing.

The thing they're missing is that Rebirth had a dev cycle that was longer than 3 months, and was much more extensively tested before it was put out. They also had a lot of interaction with YouTube streamers like Bisnap, and Spider himself was a developer on the actual game. So there's a lot fewer balance issues to sort out this time, but a lot of people aren't really hip to all that. They're still imagining it being like Ed and Florian are tinkering with Flash code.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 10, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PSJM X4RE

Just had this run as Azazel. First room was the Wafer, next I got the holy mantel from the angel, then scalpular or whatever from the angel. The game should of just ended right there.

My only regret is when I passed up the deals with the devil one of the items was Guppy's Paw. I found 2 more Guppy items a few minutes later :suicide:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rocketlex posted:

The first and only time I've seen Mama Gurdy was when I had a completely absurd Brimstone + Krampus' Head build as Eve. I assume she's difficult but I wouldn't know.

If you have any kind of flght, Mama Gurdy's a complete joke. If you don't have flight, stay still when she goes offscreen or does the spike animation and stay toward front corners to make the yellow vomit balls easy to dodge. She's really not bad.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, getting no-hit achievements with it should be fixed (along with the second-floor only bug for those), and it probably should have been an unlockable, but the cat is kinda out of the bag at this point. I'm honestly not even that attached to it, I just think we're nerfing items that are merely really good rather then single-handedly gamebreaking, then you have to nerf Brimstone and other cool poo poo. I think it's perfectly ok to have some items that are better, even much better, then others.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Waffle! posted:

Did PHD reroll pills already on the ground after you got it in the original? I left a bad trip pill, got PHD, and came back to it being a speed up.

PHD still has the old Cain/Lucky Foot setup where you can't get negative status effects from pills, so negatives will all reroll as positives.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

There's something amazingly cathartic about getting a floor 1 knife and dead cat as the lost after trying for upwards of 6 hours to legitimately play the lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hahahahahaha I just one-shotted Mom's Heart with Azazel + Tammy's Head. I love this game.