Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

infernal machines posted:

the guy himself is a bitcoiner.

well that certainly explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

lol gold coffins

lol lol

your dad was showing respect and getting closure hth
also thats the sign of the cross
did he do left shoulder and right, or vice versa? literal wars have been fought over this

Soon we're going to have coffins made of bitcoins

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Greyhawk posted:

What many of us don't get about Bitcoin (its biggest strength)

Are you worried about the trolls, the Professor Bitcorn and BitCon types the media books on their shows, while ignoring people like Andreas, Roger, TwoBitIdiot, Circle execs, the Xapo CEO - all of whom would be better representatives of the technology and the currency.

Look, these people are playing their game: they don't want Bitcoin to succeed.

Allow me to repeat that: they do not want Bitcoin to succeed.

For people in the media, especially television, who already have money - they don't want to hear the Bitcoin narrative. They really don't. They're busy and being told their millions are worthless fiat poo poo bothers them. People don't like change - we couldn't even switch to the metric system in the States. This turns money around, a full 180. Some aren't ready for that.
And the credit card companies, the banks, some governments... Bitcoin is not a thorn in their side. It's an existential threat and, as with Occupy, they're doing their thing to make it go away. How much of the regulatory and legislative shitstorm do you think has been generated by card company lobbyists whispering into the right people's ears? Think about it.
This stuff is not conspiracy thinking. It is economic war. They're threatened, and they are attempting to crush that threat.

I was never in Occupy, I found it pedantic, but a friend was. Recently we were talking and I told her "something like that was doomed from the get go - no clear demands, no clear leaders, no vision".

This led to a very scary conversation about her experiences in Occupy. She's one of the smarter people I know, definitely not a UFO/conspiracy/NWO conspiratard. And she said, point blank, it was her experience that at least 1 out of every 4 "Occupiers" by the end of it was a fed, undercover cop, or provocateur. None of it made sense toward the end - crazies showing up to meetings, advocating violence and property damage. People with no history in activist communities whatsoever popping up with recording equipment, not journalists mind you, and asking questions and taking face shots without permission.

All that scary Cointelpro poo poo they used against Martin Luther King, Jr and others whose views were a little too ahead of the curve?

Those programs have not ended, they have just been compartmentalized and in many cases privatized. Internet trolling is big business. Social engineering and opinion "shepherding" is also big business.

Why do banks advertise on TV so much? Why do they sponsor so many stadiums?

The Buttcoiners frequently say Bitcoin is a cult. Money IS a cult: flip around a dollar bill, you'll find more occult creepiness than in the last twenty minutes of Eyes Wide Shut.

Money is a psychological phenomena, and Satoshi got the economics right for duplicating that phenomena, without needing a government to kickstart it with all of their imagery, force, and bullshit.

One of the recent favorite lines of Bitcoin detractors is "the blockchain technology is great, but the currency side of it will never work".

This is intentional, one last attempt to undermine Bitcoin in the courts of public opinion.

"The engines on this plane are great, but it will never fly."

Wrong. Currency, value transfer, is the whole loving point of Bitcoin. Notice how the trolling increased as Changetipping took off? That's because if tipping goes viral, the threat to them increases - it cannot be stopped at that point.

Also, sorry it took me so long to get to the point of this post: Bitcoin's biggest strength IS its currency aspect.

All the rest is nice bells and whistles, but currency is what Bitcoin was designed to replace. As Gates said, "Bitcoin is better than currency." He's not a dumb guy. That's one of those five word quotations that doesn't seem like much today, but in three years will appear positively prophetic in its accuracy. Bitcoin isn't just another currency. It's not just some card network for transferring ledger credit/debit balances around. It's a technology inherently better than govt-issued currency itself, just as email is inherently better than the post.
The logical conclusion, therefore, is that price does matter. Sellers - each of us - decide the price of Bitcoin. Given how much bullshit they are throwing at the wall lately trying to slow us down, I no longer recognize Bitcoin as a $350, $500, or $1,000 per coin technology.

It's become personal. I'll HODL until the bastards are out of business. Because if more of us thought like that, Bitcoin fairy tale time would be here a lot sooner. These banks and institutions are begging to be put out of business. And they know it, or the trolls and media shills wouldn't be out in force.

Time to finish the job. HODL til the bleed. For every shill who says price doesn't matter and Bitcoin will never work as money, I say it is money - more money than your derogatory surveillance and war funding Chuck E Cheese notes, more money than the heavy metal our predecessors used to have to lug around.

And price does matter. The detractors will see that this holiday season. Satoshi built a brilliant Chinese finger trap for money: it won't take much fresh seasonal demand to send all these numbers astronomical.

And I think enough of us are pissed off that we won't sell when things heat up. That's when it gets fun. To quote my favorite Bond villain, "Hello, James. Welcome. Do you like the island? My grandmother had an island. Nothing to boast of. You could walk around it in an hour, but still it was, it was a paradise for us. One summer, we went for a visit and discovered the place had been infested with rats. They'd come on a fishing boat and gorged themselves on coconut. So how do you get rats off an island? Hmm? My grandmother showed me. We buried an oil drum and hinged the lid. Then we wired coconut to the lid as bait and the rats would come for the coconut and... they would fall into the drum. And after a month, you have trapped all the rats, but what do you do then? Throw the drum into the ocean? Burn it? No. You just leave it and they begin to get hungry. And one by one... they start eating each other until there are only two left. The two survivors. And then what? Do you kill them? No. You take them and release them into the trees, but now they don't eat coconut anymore. Now, they only eat rat. You have changed their nature. The two survivors. This is what she made us."

We're going to change their nature. We want it badder than they do, and the future is ours.

Has anyone said BITCOINTELPRO yet

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

QuarkJets posted:

Soon we're going to have coffins made of bitcoins

we won't have funerals anymore because people will just upload their consciousness to the block chain and the block chain is forever

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lol

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Ayn Randi posted:

Has anyone said BITCOINTELPRO yet

actually http://bitcointelpro.com/ exists, it's a bit like a time capsule, with the $500 bitcoins and the mtgox tracker at $0

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
fckgw is the plan still to eventually add killhamster's post-sale buttcoin articles to buttcoinfoundation when you get around to it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Rats? -My grandma would say- let me call the exterminator.

She was a much better libertarian.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
apparently silk road 3.0 exists and has a "senior figure" from silk road 2.0 involved in running it

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

apparently silk road 3.0 exists and has a "senior figure" from silk road 2.0 involved in running it

fbi admin man moving up in the world

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

that I am even reading about this without really trying, does not bode well for their secrecy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

maybe it's a distraction and everybody's really at silk road 4.0

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
the fbi found silk road 1, 2, 3, and 5, and now they'll waste all their time looking for silk road 4! :xd:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bitcoiners attempt collision attack in the legal system and name the next silk road silk road 2.0

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

InShaneee posted:

the fbi found silk road 1, 2, 3, and 5, and now they'll waste all their time looking for silk road 4! :xd:

this reminds me of this

quote:

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that there actually was some woman named Dorothy at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel, so they launched an enormous and futile hunt for the elusive "Dorothy", hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.[6]

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Maybe the gamer gate guy will find some help

TL:DR: The Bitcoin mining fire in Thailand actually happened last month and everyone got it wrong. Journalism needs better standard. The author who wrote the CoinDesk article is alleged made up character by CoinDesk with no Internet history before CoinDesk was founded. (ihb.io)
submitted 6 hours ago by theBitcoin_CEO

[–]jcoinner 5 points an hour ago
Not everyone. I posted about the actual date and location twice and there was a link to a Thai new story someone posted, which if read indicated where and when. But we don't expect "reporters" to do even very basic research any more, do we? A reddit comment headline is the new news source.

[–]theBitcoin_CEO[S] 3 points an hour ago
no. the standard of journalism has dropped, however i am hopeful that tools will be put in place to keep media in check here is 50 bits /u/changetip

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
journalism has always been awful

look at journalism from literally any time period, standards have not dropped at all

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

journalism has always been awful

look at journalism from literally any time period, standards have not dropped at all

"the public being made aware that something is bad" is, to most people, synonymous with "things are way way worse!"

24 hour news is real bad for modern journalism though because the amount of filler that has to be generated is enormous and that's kinda new, but yeah, reporting wasn't magically super accurate in the 1700s or something

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ayn rand hand job posted:

its about ethic in bitcoins

Camwhores accept butts to talk about buttcoin, but they won't have sex with me. They must be shamed with rape threats on twitter

Midjack posted:

Welp, galtse has some competition now.

Who is Zoey Quinn

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

theflyingorc posted:

"the public being made aware that something is bad" is, to most people, synonymous with "things are way way worse!"

24 hour news is real bad for modern journalism though because the amount of filler that has to be generated is enormous and that's kinda new, but yeah, reporting wasn't magically super accurate in the 1700s or something

'Tis concerning ye ethiques in ye gaming journalisme, sir!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Greed is eternal posted:

lol skyfall sucks

better than Quantum of Solace

then again Die Another Day was better than Quantum of Solace

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

:agreed:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Statist secret agents burning my bitmines

Jonny 290 posted:

lol gold coffins

lol lol

your dad was showing respect and getting closure hth
also thats the sign of the cross
did he do left shoulder and right, or vice versa? literal wars have been fought over this

I like to think of it as goon's dad religiously cucking the mormons since the mormons are like the weird nerdy kids in school who struck it rich and have a chip on their shoulder about the popular baptists and catholics

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 10, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Hi Bitcoiners, I just wanted to let you know that you have more support than you realize. We at r/KotakuInAction know exactly how you feel because we're going through the exact same thing. I'm a member of both subs and keep an eye on everything, and I can't help but notice how much we have in common.

Just in case you don't know what i'm talking about, let me backtrack. KiA is a subreddit that was made to discuss the recent Gamergate controversy that's been lighting up the internet. I know what you're thinking: What the heck is that?

Allow me to share some info with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsPai-0Ov8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcWm4B3EU4 http://gamergate.me/ http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/e...mes-Journalism/

There's been rumblings of a civil war in the left between the moderates and the more extreme identity politiks known as “SJWs”- Social Justice Warriors.. Gamergate seems to be a part of that, and it has recently pushed a large amount of young democrats in a more libertarian direction. What really set the entire controversy on fire was the "Gamers are dead" scandal: 12 Gaming magazines released articles claiming that gamers were dead, on the exact same day. We discovered a secret group of journalists were colluding to manipulate the content of the newspapers, akin to JournoList. As you can imagine, things exploded after this. That was three months ago. This is now. We’re still going strong, but we need backup.

Just like Bitcoin is a decentralized currency, Gamergate is a leaderless consumer revolt that's aiming for a free-market in games media, one that's free of corruption. I personally believe that Bitcoin can be a huge help with this thanks to the incredible blockchain technology. http://redd.it/2ggkgp We’ve repeatedly asked for the media organizations involved to talk to us, but instead they have continued to slander and insult their own readership, claiming that they’ve done no wrong. It’s been a horrible past few weeks. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/11/199...t-just-go-away/

The reason i'm posting this here is because we're looking for allies in our fight. Like you, we've been getting a lot of heat in the media lately. They've told incredible lies about us, and engaged in character-assassination. Like you, we have to deal with paid shills and trolls running rampant, trying to stir up trouble and destroy us from the inside. Most people in KiA are left-libertarian or anarcho-capitalists/anarchists just like here. We even have our own version of r/buttcoin- it's called r/gamerghazi, and just like buttcoin everything there solely exists to mock and debase us.

People in support of our campaign decided that enough was enough, and that Gawker Media- the largest of the 12 websites responsible for the vicious “Gamers are dead” attacks- Needed to come down. In desperation, we launched a consumer boycott of the website that consisted of emailing advertisers. It’s called operation Disrespectful Nod: http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/...srespectful_Nod http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/Boycott_List

It’s a complicated story, but if you want to know more feel free to ask away in the subreddit.

I understand if you don’t care, but we really are interested in partnering with Bitcoin in a mutually-beneficial way. If you help us take down Gawker by sending emails, we can help make sure that Bitcoin plays a part in the next generation of online games journalism.

I want to find people interested in helping create a new Journalism website that would use Bitcoin + other cryptocurrencies to crowdfund writers via microdonations. In this way, the corrupting influence of advertisers and special political interests would be removed. The Bitcoin community has a large amount of technical expertise that would be really helpful to get something like this done. If successful, it could drive major adoption of bitcoin for use as a digital game currency of some sort. If anyone is interested or knows someone who could help, please reply or send me a PM. Thanks for reading, and we await your replies.

same

except for ethics in buttcoin.

FCKGW slept with BFL labs

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

theflyingorc posted:

watch hearst start a loving war

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

when was the last time we had an actual 24 hour news channel. they all got bullshit straight up not news going on for extended times each day, unless you count the ticker

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Dren posted:

however i am hopeful that tools will be put in place to keep media in check
yeah someone will start a wiki for it to be recorded in (or an ethicsinjournalismchain) so the problem will be as good as solved

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

the comments in the gamergate thread seem to be pretty universally anti-gg which i honestly didn't expect

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

vOv posted:

the comments in the gamergate thread seem to be pretty universally anti-gg which i honestly didn't expect

on Reddit?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

indigi posted:

on Reddit?

yeah

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pretty creepy that reddit refers to replies as "children"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

quote:

If you help us take down Gawker by sending emails
what

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
this is what gamergaters actually believe

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
gawker's inbox is rigged to a bomb that will destroy the entire gawker HQ if it hits full capacity? something along those lines?

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I understand if you don’t care, but

Hey they are further than bitcoiners, I don't think I've seen any sufficiently self-aware to post that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chocobo posted:

gawker's inbox is rigged to a bomb that will destroy the entire gawker HQ if it hits full capacity? something along those lines?
they're emailing the advertisers which is actually a strategy that in theory could work, but will probably be less effective if it's known that it's a bunch of cranky misogynists

considering what i just wrote in this post, well

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
New on r/bitcoin: pretend that a tip got you into bitcoin, collect 20 bucks (in fake money)

quote:

I got a $1 donation with Reddit and a link to this place... is this real money?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ls0t4/i_got_a_1_donation_with_reddit_and_a_link_to_this/

That dude is just spoonfeeding them what they want to hear and they are trampling over each other to teach him about bitcoin.

Basically, it's "woah, what just happened here?" but in reverse.

The dude is getting quite an education.

quote:

It's brilliantly designed Money. The characteristics that makes "stuff" become "Money" in human cultures are:

(1) It must be durable, which is why we don’t use wheat or corn or rice.

(2) It must be divisible, which is why we don’t use art work.

(3) It must be convenient, which is why we don’t use lead or copper.

(4) It must be consistent, which is why we don’t use real estate.

(5) It must possess value in itself, which is why we don’t use paper.

(6) It must be limited in the quantity that is available, which is why we don’t use aluminum or iron.

(7) It should have a long history of acceptance, which is why we don’t use molybdenum or rhodium.

Only GOLD and SILVER fit all seven characteristics. Bitcoin is designed to excell in all 7. The amazing thing is that Bitcoin has the scarcity of gold but without physical MASS, so we can transfer ownership of bitcoins via the internet across fiber optic cables, wifi, radio, etc.

Which is why we don't use paper for money.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

pretty creepy that reddit refers to replies as "children"

i think i've seen a "hide children" option somewhere though

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

over on deepdotweb.com theres a report that pedos are trying to use The Currency Of The Future to crowdfund higher quality kiddy porn

i wonder how many fbi agents they already have adminning their site (assuming it wasnt set up by fbi agents in the first place)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

trucutru posted:

Which is why we don't use paper for money.

Or copper or aluminum or nickel

• Locked thread