Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Took me forever to realize Katie Stevens was on American Idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I save this thread from the clutches of archives to inform you that Faking It returns Tuesday, September 23rd.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
...and it is now Tuesday, September 23rd. So there's a new episode tonight at 10:30 ET.

I've got Person of Interest, but after that, I'm hitting it. Hope it's good!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That was a fun episode. entirely setup, but it's good for what it did.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
How does this show get me to laugh, out loud, at some of the most obvious gags from the book of comedy?

"UGH, this can't possibly get any worse!"
<IT GETS WORSE>
<DP cackles like a jackass>

Amy and Liam's reaction to the night before was awesome. Amy and Karma patching poo poo up almost immediately was awesome. Lauren's intersex revelation was awesome. The crazy S&M blackmail scheme to keep it a secret was awesome. Amy calling her mom on her poo poo was awesome. The deepening friendship between Shane and Lauren was awesome.

Best of all, though, was the way the show blew up its initial premise and reconfigured it into something that speaks to "Faking It" in a less specific sense. Now it's more about the secrets people keep and the lies they tell to protect each other and themselves. I don't want to wax too poetic about it; the dialogue's way too clunky and the acting is way too shaky to talk about it like it's anything more than a guilty pleasure. But I have to acknowledge a slick move when I see one, and that smooth transition from an unsustainable, even morally questionable premise to something far more durable over a long term is pretty loving slick.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 24, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just got to Lauren's intersex reveal. That was stunningly well done. This show deserves more attention.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can some one explain to me what being Intersex means, feel free to treat me like an idiot.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

Can some one explain to me what being Intersex means, feel free to treat me like an idiot.

Feel free to treat me like an idiot too, I'm making what amounts to an educated guess.

When you're born, doctors determine your gender through five different factors (according to Wikipedia):

-the number and type of sex chromosomes;
-the type of gonads—ovaries or testicles;
-the sex hormones,
-the internal reproductive anatomy (such as the uterus in females), and
-the external genitalia.

It's not just "Does the baby have a penis or a vagina?" Your sex is determined through all five tests, and in most cases, they come back either all "female" or all "male". In Lauren's case, some of that initial testing -- likely her hormones, maybe one or two others -- came back ambiguous, and either her doctors or her parents decided that she should be female (a gender identity she seems to embrace). But, because her body isn't quite cooperative, she pops pills to manufacture the hormones that she can't naturally produce.

Did I get that right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

Did I get that right?

Don't quote me on this but I believe intersex means having XXY chromosomes, which is the cause of the other factors. And we have no way of knowing that Lauren was initially treated as female by her doctors/family. She may have initially been brought up as a boy and transitioned to a girl later.

It's really great that they took a villainous stereotype and instantly turned her into a 3-dimensional character deserving of empathy and compassion without taking away the bad aspects of her character. Also the song that kicked in ruled.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

And we have no way of knowing that Lauren was initially treated as female by her doctors/family. She may have initially been brought up as a boy and transitioned to a girl later.

The big reason I would doubt this is because I assume Lauren's dad is just as religiously-driven as Amy's mom, who is more comfortable with Amy practicing S&M than with Amy being gay. So I doubt he'd be that thrilled about his only son becoming his only daughter at whatever point. Of course, I am operating on an assumption, and even if that's true, I could be taking a narrow view: it might be possible that Lauren's dad just shuts out those 2-7 years she was raised as a boy out of psychological necessity.

But I do agree that this was a tremendous way to dimensionalize Lauren. It also explains a lot about her prejudices without just saying "Oh, she's a repressed homosexual as well." She can still feel prejudice towards others out of a hatred for her "freak" self, but she has a different set of challenges to overcome, AND it brings a little-known condition / state of being into the dramatic spotlight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For a thoughtful and nuanced examination of intersex and adolescence, check out the Argentine film XXY (2007) by Lucía Puenzo.

For the dumb sensationalist version I'm sure there's a House episode that uses it as a gimmick

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For the dumb sensationalist version I'm sure there's a House episode that uses it as a gimmick

2x13 - "Skin Deep"

The one with the teenage supermodel who turns out to have testicles in place of ovaries and androgen insensitivity syndrome.

I don't know why I remember that, but I do. :unsmith:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Autonomous Monster posted:

2x13 - "Skin Deep"

The one with the teenage supermodel who turns out to have testicles in place of ovaries and androgen insensitivity syndrome.

I don't know why I remember that, but I do. :unsmith:

Because it has one of the best :iceburn: lines in any House episode ever, when House goes from accusing the dad of being a incestuous pedophile to being a gay incestuous pedophile.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Oh right this show is on :neckbeard:

Edit: "Conveniently my mom sells sex toys out of the trunk of her car." :v:

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 26, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I am three episodes into this show and despite the premise being kind of awful actually, it's really a bit better than I expected. Amy going from reluctantly aiding Karma in her little scheme to possibly actually falling for her and then constantly hurt because of it is strangely moving.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WarLocke posted:

I am three episodes into this show and despite the premise being kind of awful actually, it's really a bit better than I expected. Amy going from reluctantly aiding Karma in her little scheme to possibly actually falling for her and then constantly hurt because of it is strangely moving.

They kind of blow up the premise after the first season. The idea of "The school thinks we're a lesbian couple" always remains in some form, but them trying to take advantage of it doesn't last.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really liked this week's episode. Glad Oliver got the spot.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Senerio posted:

I really liked this week's episode. Glad Oliver got the spot.

WHO THE gently caress IS OLIVER?

I'm really impressed with what they did for Liam. I don't really buy him as an artist, but this episode did a fantastic job establishing his pathos.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I loved this week's episode, but I also found a picture online that I had to share.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I just finished season one and god drat this show got better than the premise deserved.

Motherfucking trainwreck of a finale. :suspense:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who is still watching the show!

It has definitely morphed into something much better than its original premise, and it seems like every season it sets itself up for even more convoluted situations. So many secrets.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WarLocke posted:

I just finished season one and god drat this show got better than the premise deserved.

Motherfucking trainwreck of a finale. :suspense:

I wasn't that big on the episode itself -- it felt a bit clunky, forced -- but the ending was fantastic, a clear turning point for the show. I can't wait for you to see how they build on this in the next handful of episodes. Admittedly it doesn't take long to hit the reset button, but they arm an even bigger bomb by doing so, and it's fun to watch the people involved try to avoid setting it off.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This week's episode is great.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I just started this show and it's really scratching my OC/Gossip Girl itch, especially this season.

BTW is there a word or phrase for what happens when there's a secret that threatens to come out social setting resulting in awkwardness in a group? Something like 'farce' or 'comedy of errors' or something like that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rapeface posted:

BTW is there a word or phrase for what happens when there's a secret that threatens to come out social setting resulting in awkwardness in a group? Something like 'farce' or 'comedy of errors' or something like that.

From now on we'll call it a grouphang.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

rapeface posted:

99% of all Romantic Comedies?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That was annoyingly good. Great thematic focus, excellent character work, and Bailey De Young took home the proverbial game ball.

Like, it's obvious why the show doesn't get a lot of attention around these parts but hot drat it deserves a lot more love than it's getting.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I also loved how zen people acted around the dramatic reveals in the episode.

My son is blowing another dude? Hey son, did you get him to sign the NDA?

You're bringing your girlfriend HERE?!? Reagan seems nice.

You lied to us about your sexuality? Hugs!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Senerio posted:

99% of all Romantic Comedies?

Something about a group that makes it different.

Grouphang has always been a hilarious word to me since the OC. Speaking of which, didn't they mention yogalaties at some point?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I saw the above average response here and thought I'd give it a try.

Then I binged through the first season and now I can't stop laughing at ep 1 from season 2. I really like the characters. Stuff actually happens, people deal with things, problems don't get drawn out (way, way, way) too long. I think this show is pretty good. And I'm fairly sure that's not just because I'm a dude and ~lesbians~

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What a great mid-season finale. That dream-within-a-dream was a cool way to show Karma's lingering insecurity and continued distrust of both her and Liam.

Hope the second half hurries the gently caress up, I'm already jonesed to see how this plays out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also, Carter Covington did a post-mortem for TV Line. Nothing earth-shaking, but you'll get a sense of what to expect for the second half of season 2.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo Xander Harris! :neckbeard:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I'm catching up and I just got to the reveal re: why Theo didn't meet Lauren after school. Hahaha holy poo poo this show. :siren:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

This is actually pretty good. I am surprised. On season 1 episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hollismason posted:

This is actually pretty good. I am surprised. On season 1 episode 2.

It is surprisingly good for the premise and actually the premise gets turned on its head pretty early on. Keep watching. :3:

• Locked thread