Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Been around for a little bit now, but the new Cult of Fire song absolutely rips: https://soundcloud.com/iron-bonehead-productions/cult-of-fire-vltava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Listening to Mysticum's "Planet Satan" now for the first time. The cover art is awful, hope the content doesn't match it.

It's actually not a bad continuation from their first album(probably because it's been written for ages, just not recorded), but yeah the production isn't very good. the awful cover art is so bad that it kind of rules.

hungry_mantis
Nov 28, 2013
alright, so i've been out of the black metal loop for a bit myself. what are some good albums that are in vein of wolves in the throne room - black cascade? basically black metal that's a bit slower, more atmospheric/depressing, and a bit more focused on ambiance

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

hungry_mantis posted:

alright, so i've been out of the black metal loop for a bit myself. what are some good albums that are in vein of wolves in the throne room - black cascade? basically black metal that's a bit slower, more atmospheric/depressing, and a bit more focused on ambiance

You might like Black Metal luminaries Deafheaven

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Listening to Mysticum's "Planet Satan" now for the first time. The cover art is awful, hope the content doesn't match it.

The first song lifts the riff from Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Phantom of the Opera" and I just can't get over that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

hungry_mantis posted:

Check out every album by The Ruins of Beverast.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

hungry_mantis posted:

My go-to recommendation for this type of question is Ash Borer, although they're definitely a bit more noisy than Black Cascade.

Edit: also, Skagos and Alda are definitely worth checking out.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

hungry_mantis posted:

Fauna. Always, always Fauna.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

hungry_mantis posted:

Weakling of course (and Dispirit which is basically a continuation of Weakling). I remember liking Walknut too but it's been a while since I was into atmo black in a big way.

The atmosphere is very different from WITTR but I'd also suggest Alrakis if you want really gorgeous slow ambient BM.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Dispirit is pretty great, but I'm not sure they'll scratch a WITTR itch. Also, how can they have been around for like 15 years and still only have two demo tapes out?

nomapple posted:

Fauna. Always, always Fauna.

This is also a great recommendation. Basically, a lot of the stuff labelled "Cascadian black metal" might be worth checking out since Wolves in the Throne Room is foundational for that sub-subgenre.

deadking fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

hungry_mantis posted:

The new Falls of Rauros is pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPvRvo1wG3Q

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hungry_mantis posted:

that Wędrujący Wiatr album from last year might be up your alley, reminds me a bit of Wodensthrone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMrVOlvgo40

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Monkeytime posted:

The new Falls of Rauros is pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPvRvo1wG3Q

drat i didn't know this was out already, i definitely need to pick it up.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

A human heart posted:

It's actually not a bad continuation from their first album(probably because it's been written for ages, just not recorded), but yeah the production isn't very good. the awful cover art is so bad that it kind of rules.

Yep, had I listened to this ~15 years ago I'd probably have loved it. Now it sounds a bit dated and not that much inspired.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
If you like atmospheric stuff you should probably check out Forteresse as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DBnyrNn3w

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
And if you like that you should listen to some Csejthe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW1KBIcMe24

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
WATAIN is having a tour of Sweden, I heard their live shows are "interesting". Where do I start with them?

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm very fond of Torrid Husk; they have a great, slower, more melodic sound. Might be a little late on the recommendation, but I've been into them for a couple years now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6g-6EmJOo

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3P2CydPVYk

In the vein of melodic / atmospheric black metal, with a folk and prog bent. I haven't quite finished this album yet but so far so good. Greek one man band called Spectral Lore's newest.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

WATAIN is having a tour of Sweden, I heard their live shows are "interesting". Where do I start with them?

don't even bother. Listen to Craft instead.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

Besides "Waters of Ain", which is by far their most popular and well known song, you don't really need to listen to them. Nothing too special.

I would reccomend going to the show though, they're live shows are loving insane.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Rabid Death's Curse and Casus Luciferi are decent albeit really derivative albums. Didn't buy the rest because I wasn't strong enough to show my support towards a divine form of art that has been and will always be rightfully feared and hated by humanity, but judging from the songs I've heard they're loving poo poo and Erik is an idiot

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I think Lawless Darkness is a great album. I've seen them be amazing live, and seen them be really poo poo too. Probably a bit of a gamble.

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
Don't play like the Limb Crucifix isn't amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrQ3hUTRAfE

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm gonna go, liking the albums so far and I'm really longing for a filthy concert :v:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

new Vassafor track destroys: https://soundcloud.com/vassafor/crowned-in-irradiated-ashes

split with Temple Nightside should be good.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 9, 2014

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone seen mgla live? I'm wondering if they're worth enduring an hour of Nargaroth for and then sitting around for 2 hours afterwards to get a bus ride home.

For reference: I think With Hearts Toward None is a pretty good, but not amazing, album and haven't heard any of their other stuff.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 8, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I think they're an amazing live band, but I think WHTN is one of the best traditional black metal albums in years.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I've seen them quite a few times now. Is the venue good, or at least noted for good sound? If they're playing a venue with poo poo sound the guitar tone is going to get lost and it'll be a complete letdown if those riffs come out flat. Otherwise, they are stellar live.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I saw them outdoors and during the day and they were still amazing. The sound was stellar, though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey guys, I'm looking for some reccomendations. Pagan/Norse themed black metal, but not second-wave sounding. Sound-wise, maybe something like Enslaved's RIITIR album, ΧΞΣ by Rotting Christ, A Dying God Come into Human Flesh by Celtic Frost, or Waters of Ain by Watain . Kind of slower, long buildup black metal with Pagan themes. Maybe I'm too specific, I don't know. Thanks guys!

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 10, 2014

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
I finally got round to buying Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal book, it's definitely worth it and bigger than I expected! So many great photos worthy of framing.

Also contains this great letter by Euronymous otherwise known as 'How to look like the biggest tryhard in the universe'

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Germ Incubator posted:

I finally got round to buying Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal book, it's definitely worth it and bigger than I expected! So many great photos worthy of framing.

Also contains this great letter by Euronymous otherwise known as 'How to look like the biggest tryhard in the universe'

I'm reading Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult right now and I think "biggest tryhard in the universe" applies to almost every major player in the scene.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for some reccomendations. Pagan/Norse themed black metal, but not second-wave sounding. Sound-wise, maybe something like Enslaved's RIITIR album, ΧΞΣ by Rotting Christ, A Dying God Come into Human Flesh by Celtic Frost, or Waters of Ain by Watain . Kind of slower, long buildup black metal with Pagan themes. Maybe I'm too specific, I don't know. Thanks guys!

RIITIIR is by far the dullest Enslaved record, so listen to the others as well! Axioma does the proggy black metal thing much better in my opinion.
Check out Varathron- Walpursignacht. It's an early Hellenic black metal album, so doesn't quite sound like latter-day Rotting Christ, but it's slower, with lots of build ups, and plenty of pagan themes, so... If you want a song to check out I'd recommend The Dark Hills: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/walpurgisnacht
Schammasch might also fit the bill. Their new album has some great longer tracks on it. Check out The Inner World or JHWH. They're probably the closest in sound to Watain of what you've mentioned: https://schammasch.bandcamp.com/album/contradiction

I hope you find something you like. Sorry if that's not very helpful, but none of the stuff you suggested sounds particularly alike to me.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

His Majesty At the Swamp is the better Varathron album, though Walpursignacht is still pretty good.

quote:

I hope you find something you like. Sorry if that's not very helpful, but none of the stuff you suggested sounds particularly alike to me.
He seems to be looking for lyrics/subject matter he likes first, with the actual music secondary to that. Personally I think that's a really bizarre way to explore music in general, especially in metal where lyrics are so unimportant, but a lot of people online seem to approach it in that way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Germ Incubator posted:

That letter is hilarious, and all the more so because I'm pretty sure the "sentimental wimp fucker" bassist he's referring to is the same guy who eventually stabbed him to death.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

skasion posted:

That letter is hilarious, and all the more so because I'm pretty sure the "sentimental wimp fucker" bassist he's referring to is the same guy who eventually stabbed him to death.

Nah, Necrobutcher. Who is/was actually probably the most normal guy in that band over the years.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

A human heart posted:

His Majesty At the Swamp is the better Varathron album, though Walpursignacht is still pretty good.

He seems to be looking for lyrics/subject matter he likes first, with the actual music secondary to that. Personally I think that's a really bizarre way to explore music in general, especially in metal where lyrics are so unimportant, but a lot of people online seem to approach it in that way.

I agree His Majesty... is better, but thought Walpurgsinacht had more of the sound the poster was looking for. I dunno.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

The Clit Avoider posted:

Nah, Necrobutcher. Who is/was actually probably the most normal guy in that band over the years.

Yeah twas.

Also why I like Fenriz, takes the music, but not himself so seriously.

The fact that Euronymous thought Darkthrone were dorks when he first met them is also hilarious cos that letter, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nomapple posted:

RIITIIR is by far the dullest Enslaved record, so listen to the others as well! Axioma does the proggy black metal thing much better in my opinion.
Check out Varathron- Walpursignacht. It's an early Hellenic black metal album, so doesn't quite sound like latter-day Rotting Christ, but it's slower, with lots of build ups, and plenty of pagan themes, so... If you want a song to check out I'd recommend The Dark Hills: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/walpurgisnacht
Schammasch might also fit the bill. Their new album has some great longer tracks on it. Check out The Inner World or JHWH. They're probably the closest in sound to Watain of what you've mentioned: https://schammasch.bandcamp.com/album/contradiction

I will check these out, thank you very much.

A human heart posted:

Normally I would agree, except I am using these songs for a specific purpose/a certain playlist so the lyrical themes in this case were important. Normally I don't really consider lyrics in relation to how good the music is.