Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

I would like to be on the bottom of the totem pole tia.
Please post that in your thread A RICH WHITE MAN :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

A RICH WHITE MAN/Rockopolis, can you please post in the French thread at least by the end of today so I know you guys are still up for this?

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
They already surrendered.

Truly our greatest French minds.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, who wants to take over from Rockopolis?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

STILL LOOKING FOR REPLACEMENT FOR ROCKOPOLIS!

Also, both threads: please finalise the chain of command and for the Allied Thread, start doing your deployment.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
As long as it doesn't mean I'm replacing onto the top of the chain of command, I'm game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Feel free to post in the french thread then!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dammit Tekopo, following three threads with the same tag is difficult. I'm old and easily distracted. :argh:

Just finished reading the rules, and I'm impressed. I see a couple of dirty tricks that may or may not be useful, but that I'd be interested in trying anyway. Hopefully the Goonmind in both threads can pull some interesting moves.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

Dammit Tekopo, following three threads with the same tag is difficult. I'm old and easily distracted. :argh:

Just finished reading the rules, and I'm impressed. I see a couple of dirty tricks that may or may not be useful, but that I'd be interested in trying anyway. Hopefully the Goonmind in both threads can pull some interesting moves.

It is seriously one of the best games ever made, when you say dirty tricks, I say the entire point of the game. :D

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

Aston posted:

Are we starting on December 1 or 2?

Same question

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I would have to assume 2, but yeah, it's a good question. 1 would mean only two corps start on the field and we have a whoooole different ballgame.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sorry, should have answered, it's Dec 2.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

What's going on with this?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been away and the French thread has been quiet except for one of the generals. I will start giving warnings when I get back home proper.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, I need people to replace A RICH WHITE MAN and Okie since they haven't been posting in ages. I will see if I can find anyone else. Otherwise we might be forced to play with less players just to get the game going.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ahahaha, the French cowards refuse to even take the field! Laugh with me, my Prussian friend! Ahahah!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Ahahaha, the French cowards refuse to even take the field! Laugh with me, my Prussian friend! Ahahah!

Ha ha. Hah!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
We're just roleplaying. :france:

Also, Prussians? At Austerlitz? Is that the kind of dirty tricks silvergoose was talking about?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
How frequent updates/posts do we expect? I might sign up, once I'm done reading through the rules.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Once we have active players, it should be pretty regular: we've had slow down due to people dropping out/getting the assignments and corps allocation done, but once that is complete it should go much faster.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
OK, so I've read through the rules, and I think I get them, aside from one thing: what do commanders actually do, other than provide containers for corps? What's the point of the Command Track?

Anything that's easy to miss in the manual that I should know before committing to this?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Commanders are just Corps: they don't do anything apart from being groups of different units. The command track limits the number of units that you can activate: the French can activate all of their corps, but only 4 independent units per turn, while the allies can activate only 5 Corps and 3 independent units per turn. This pretty much simulates the fact that it is harder to command units not attached to a command.

There aren't any real easy to miss rules in this game, the complication is created by what the rules imply about the general strategy/combat system, which isn't clear at a first glance.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Alright. If I've read the Allied thread before, but pinky swear I don't remember a thing from it, am I still eligible to join?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

frankenfreak posted:

We're just roleplaying. :france:

Also, Prussians? At Austerlitz? Is that the kind of dirty tricks silvergoose was talking about?

Bah! All of you west of the Vistula that aren't French are Prussian! Give me more vodka!

(Actually I forgot it was Austria, durr :ssh:)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

Alright. If I've read the Allied thread before, but pinky swear I don't remember a thing from it, am I still eligible to join?
Yeah, basically this game works entirely on the honour system anyway :v:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Well then, sign me up, chief. I'll show you how to mess things up in increasingly hilarious ways.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Feel free to post in the French thread.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Here's the final deployment.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The game has now started and COMMUNICATION RULES ARE IN EFFECT!

Time: 7:00 am, Allied Turn

Please feel free to use this thread to mock your opponents/peanut gallery comments. Also, this thread will be used to resolve combat and for generals to post attack/defense declarations.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 10, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If I run this again after this game is completed, I am going to kick things up a notch and add EVEN MORE REALISM.

Basically, instead of being able to view everything on the battlefield, you can only view your own corps and any locale adjacent to your corps. If units are present on hills, they are able to see two locales away. What does this do?
  • Creates 'oh god I had no idea those guys were there' moments.
  • Adds even more to the confusion of battle

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

If I run this again after this game is completed, I am going to kick things up a notch and add EVEN MORE REALISM.

Basically, instead of being able to view everything on the battlefield, you can only view your own corps and any locale adjacent to your corps. If units are present on hills, they are able to see two locales away. What does this do?
  • Creates 'oh god I had no idea those guys were there' moments.
  • Adds even more to the confusion of battle

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

Honestly? I think there's so much tension just in not knowing which units are which I'm not sure if that's really needed.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to watch. :3:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Would the Commander in Chiefs have the total view of the battlefield? Not sure they can give meaningful orders without having the full view.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

Would the Commander in Chiefs have the total view of the battlefield? Not sure they can give meaningful orders without having the full view.

Maybe total view of all units near him? Or, you make people send messages back and forth to let you know where they are. If you get up on a hill you get to see further.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I don't see how he can send a meaningful order to the general on the other side of the battlefield if he can't see them.

Your scouting idea, It would add complexity, but what if CiC had realtime vision of his own troops while he had a one turn vision delay on the rest of the field to reflect scouts returning to him with Intel?

Hardcore History General.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

I don't see how he can send a meaningful order to the general on the other side of the battlefield if he can't see them.

Your scouting idea, It would add complexity, but what if CiC had realtime vision of his own troops while he had a one turn vision delay on the rest of the field to reflect scouts returning to him with Intel?

Hardcore History General.

Yeah that would make sense. Basically, he knows where he set people, and sees where they are a turn late, and then can send messages to arrive the turn after that. Maybe only do this with the December 1 scenario, since the game would be half over almost by the time any meaningful orders could get through.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You would view all the units on your side, the FoG would be for enemy pieces.

7:00 am, Allied Turn

The fog still lingers in the air as the Corps of Bagration and Constantine, on the Allied right flank, advance hard on the road leading to the French left flank. They can spot enemies in the distance and on the hill known as the Santon, they can already spot various guns on it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

gently caress them artillery shells raining down upon our fair armies, it must be destroyed so that europe can finally be free of the Santon.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
You better watch out,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm telling you why,
Santon shells are coming to town!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

You better watch out,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm telling you why,

December 2nd, while later than mid-November, is still too goddamn early for Christmas music, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kollowrath, as per commands, supports the advance by advancing closer to the French army.

• Locked thread