Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

AA is for Quitters posted:

Do you really need to spoil that? I forgot that was this episode, but dude, it's been all over the promos on ABC for WEEKS.

I'm british - I have to go out of my way to see promos, have no idea what the situation is like over there. Also

Tide posted:

Eh, if he didn't put it in spoiler tags, someone would bitch about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Not to pick nits, but

Tide posted:

Eh, even if he does put it in spoiler tags, someone would bitch about it.

fixed it.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

MrFlibble posted:

I'm british - I have to go out of my way to see promos, have no idea what the situation is like over there. Also

I forget that there are other countries that don't get absolutely innundated with promos. I know people that don't watch this show and only watch football on ABC and know that plot point for this week.

I'm just really really glad that this week i get to miss dancing with the stars beforehand, because holy crap, that is the most excruciating thing on the planet, but it does show that ABC knows the demo for this show too loving well. (that said, if i miss Tommy Chong getting booted off DWTS I will be super pissed)

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

The Red Queen posted:

Most episodes: "Unfortunately there wasn't a camera covering this part of the city so we can't catch this murderer!"
This episode: "Anonymity lets people run amok!"

I love Castle but sometimes it feels like there's an agenda.

I thought the message was "online bullying is bad. We should stop it before those who get bullied decide to murder the gently caress out of other people."

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

I want to watch the show where Castle helps McNulty solve cases gently caress bitches and gamble money

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That was one of the better episodes in the last few seasons. And I would SO watch a Castle show where he helps McNulty gently caress bitches and gamble money and solve cases on the side.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Was McNulty the messy cop that took over for Beckett while she was in the FBI?

I liked that episode, lots of fun. I feel like they could have gotten more mileage out of the other world. Castle didn't even react to Jenny as the barista, help Kate solve the murder, or talk about Derrick Storm...

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
fun episode, really enjoyed it, but i will riot if they ever change Alexis' hair black again!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Castle's the man. Getting married in front of a green screen is the perfect way to appease an indecisive bride.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I thought the actual vows were really sweet, but yeah, that green screen was super distracting.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Man that sure was some greenscreen, wasn't it? They must have blown their whole budget on ancient dimensional travel devices.

Best episode of Castle in ages. As others have noted in this thread, the series is at its most fun when it embraces the weirdness it occasionally toys with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

effervescible posted:

I thought the actual vows were really sweet, but yeah, that green screen was super distracting.

Unfortunately, there's no practical way of filming a scene at sunset without doing it all in a single, continuous set of takes. It's easier to just green screen it on a sound stage.

surfwriter1
Oct 17, 2014

Best episode in a looooong time. After the first few episodes, when the luster wore off, the show fell into a pattern of mediocrity. At least it was consistently mediocre. That being said, I can't remember the last time I saw a Castle episode that was above their own personal par. Dug this episode though. And that green screen. Holy hell.

When they were about to give the vows, I braced myself for the cheeseball shower but they were surprisingly sweet. All in all, well done, Castle. Well done.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I really liked it. Fillion was a hoot, sneaking around the precinct. I liked the fact that no one's life was really miserable i the alternate universe, but everyone was much better off in the "real" one. I enjoyed the alternate universe and how it was done. The show's old enough to not give a gently caress about throwing in some unreality every so often to keep things lively. Because really, the types of crimes that the show does is quite limited. They don't do a different serial killer each week, there's no crimes involving kids in danger or nasty sexual violence. So whatever they do to keep things lively within those bounds is OK by me. Then again, although I like some episodes better than others, the show always entertains me.

I didn't mind the green screen. I was just happy to see them finally married.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Xelkelvos posted:

Unfortunately, there's no practical way of filming a scene at sunset without doing it all in a single, continuous set of takes. It's easier to just green screen it on a sound stage.

Yeah, it's entirely understandable. Something about the color made it look faker than other green screen scenes I can think of, though. But in the end it's hardly the most unrealistic thing on the show.

And hell yes I am glad they didn't drag the wedding redo out to this year's finale.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My favourite part of this episode was the constant sulk that my partner was in throughout. "I don't like this. Is it all going to be ok? I'd better be ok. < looks up spoilers on the internet>. Oh good, that's fine then."

On the other hand I loved it, it felt like an old episode, all Castle sneaking around, getting caught etc. Excellent.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Red Oktober posted:

On the other hand I loved it, it felt like an old episode, all Castle sneaking around, getting caught etc. Excellent.

Definitely. I've used this line before, but the show's at it's best when it's got this CSI: Nathan Fillion thing going on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

Definitely. I've used this line before, but the show's at it's best when it's got this CSI: Nathan Fillion thing going on.

CSI: Nathan Fillion should be a real show. Called that. About the actor Nathan Fillion who uses the skills he's learned playing roles in television to catch the criminals that aren't a priority to real cops.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Tell me I'm not the only one who wants to read alternate universe Castle's failed attempt at literary fiction.

I noticed him reading it. Hopefully he'll learn from this and his real literary fiction (as mentioned by time travel dude) will be much better.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
The book cover was inspired by Infinite Jest:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Jest

Not sure what they were implying with that.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I don't think it was a dig at Infinite Jest. The implication was that Castle couldn't even come up with his own literary novel but had to rip off Infinite Jest, and badly at that.

I feel kind of bad for Alternate Universe Beckett. Isn't happy in her job, never found her mom's killer, and now some guy she's never met takes a bullet for her and dies declaring his love for her.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I don't think it was a dig at Infinite Jest. The implication was that Castle couldn't even come up with his own literary novel but had to rip off Infinite Jest, and badly at that.

I feel kind of bad for Alternate Universe Beckett. Isn't happy in her job, never found her mom's killer, and now some guy she's never met takes a bullet for her and dies declaring his love for her.

I kept waiting for him to earn her trust by saying "hey try cracking those elephants open sometime if you want to solve your mom's murder!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was waiting for him to ask her back in the real world about how she first met him waiting in line for one of his books.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GreenNight posted:

I was waiting for him to ask her back in the real world about how she first met him waiting in line for one of his books.

This, I was hoping he'd do that as soon as he woke up. But of course they won't have him do that in order to preserve the "was it all a dream?" ambiguity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They usually are pretty good about loving with the audience, like the time travel episode.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GreenNight posted:

Haha, that'd be an awesome little scene to start next episode with, just a little, "Huh... *thousand yard stare*," moment from Castle before shaking it off and continuing on

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Tonight is the Wild West episode. :bahgawd: Should be loads of fun.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Ha! They changed the title card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would go to this place.

For my honeymoon.

Edit: I think Beckett's sniper wound should be visible with that top.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 18, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if I've ever seen Beckett look hotter.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Aphrodite posted:

I would go to this place.

For my honeymoon.

Edit: I think Beckett's sniper wound should be visible with that top.

It seemed pretty glaring in her white outfit at the end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, they're not very consistent with it.

She's worn other clothes that should show the wound but don't before.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Not to mention that since they had to crack her sternum open to fix things, she should have a big ugly line, not just some small spot you can barely see.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

they aren't gonna kill off Ryan, are they?

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

Tide posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen Beckett look hotter.

she sure did look amazing :love:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

7thBatallion posted:

they aren't gonna kill off Ryan, are they?

no way. Transfer him to another department or agency, but no easy they kill him off. He's different than Montgomery, he's integral to the group chemistry that makes Castle

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It looks like Espo's the one in danger next week.

This week's was too cute. But oddly my favorite moment came from Gates telling the boys not to be such babies. (Besides, if someone was as quick as Espo was to assume the worst of me like he did when Castle went missing, I wouldn't invite him to my wedding either.)

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That was a nice mid-range episode. Way better than the last Esposito-centric one.

Next week looks like it's going to be freakin' epic: 80s action movies! :black101:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not really a fan of the serious episodes, but the last episode was pretty good. I like the callback to the early episodes with the Turner and Hooch comment.

Speaking of which, I've been working my way through the series and now I'm midway in Season 4. I've got to say there's more serious episodes than in the previous seasons, but the show's humor is what keeps me watching. Are Seasons 5 and 6 as dark as this one is or do they get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Season 4 is the toughest one because you spend the whole time waiting for the inevitable secrets to emerge and what that will mean for the Castle/Beckett relationship. I prefer 5 and 6 to 4. They both have some serious episodes (most notably the two-parter in 5, which is my favorite two-parter in the series) but the overall tone is much more cheery. 4 is necessary for the character development, though.

Back to the most recent episode, I let out a huge "EWWWW!" when we learned about Espo's pizza preferences. That's just nasty.

• Locked thread