Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Somberbrero posted:

I think it's hard to know how well you're doing in this game though. I thought I was in an okay position but then someone lied to me yesterday and I'll have to wait and see how screwed I am :argh:

Also I think it's important to remember while the best guess yesterday was 3, that player/those players are probably excluding all known words. Realistically some people are halfway through the code, and that makes me ~nervous.~

I would be okay with a Lynch All Liars policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

winvirus posted:

I would be okay with a Lynch All Liars policy
Uhhhh... Winvirus totally lied to me. He... uh... doesn't have a birthday, since he's an evil Kryptonian supercomputer. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

*opens PM box*
*two moths fly out*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PoP has contacted two moths! Kill this well connected man.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, I feel like waiting until the last minute to vote for people is a dick move.

On the other hand, there is no one in particular I feel compelled to vote for at the moment.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Some alliance is out there with three words known in the right spot, probably not the words that have been publicly declared through people dying either.

Some people are powerful, too powerful. Let's knock them down to the stone age.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I feel like ##vote somber is in this alliance.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
somber, I will vote for the person who lied to you if you reveal that person. Your failure to reveal that person makes me think you said that to try to downplay your position.

I do no like it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Some alliance is out there with three words known in the right spot, probably not the words that have been publicly declared through people dying either.

Some people are powerful, too powerful. Let's knock them down to the stone age.
If we're voting on people based on them being in an alliance that's too powerful... well, then, merk, you'd be on my shortlist.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am in zero alliances. I was in a joke in-thread alliance. I'll happily reveal the entirety of my OOT communication:

1. I connected with Rarity, PoP, and Hal on night 1. PoP had some thing going on with Byers that seemed confusing to me. Byers apparently wanted to use the fake word "TEARFUL" as currency to get information out of people. I'm unsure whether "TEARFUL" is actually fake or not. PoP seems legit OOT, but we didn't talk much because we were both busy. Hal, same thing. I am not in an alliance with either player, although I did propose one to Hal and he kind of accepted. I'm not sure if he thinks we're in an alliance or not at this point. I'm not sure if we are or not at this point. Rarity and I spoke a bit but not much came from it.

2. I am connected right now with winvirus and Strong Mouse. I like speaking with winvirus, but we haven't done anything interesting. I haven't spoken to Strong Mouse because I only have him (her?) on Steam and I'm only on Steam when I'm playing dota.

I've found one word through random guessing. I disclosed the guess that prompted the result to Hal, winvirus, and PoP. I have done nothing else exciting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I also know that PoP was connected to winvirus on night 1.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I also know winvirus' word, but I'm not sure whether it's his real word or anyone's real word because I haven't tested it yet.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I have revealed my word to no one. I have revealed my position to no one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm going to play the straightest game possible and see how far I make it. That's literally all the information I have at this point. I don't really want to reveal winvirus' word. That'd be lovely of me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I told Rarity that I was trying to build an alliance, but then I didn't do anything with it besides that message to Hal because I was slammed at work after coming back from Germany.

It looks like I might have tried to start something with PoP, but like I said before it went nowhere due to both of us being busy.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Actually, you're clearly in an alliance and probably the dude with the most information right now: ##vote Thanos

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Actually, you're clearly in an alliance and probably the dude with the most information right now: ##vote Thanos
I seriously doubt I'm the one with the most information right now.

I have exchanged words with a couple of people, and am disinclined to vote for them because of it, which I suppose makes an alliance of sorts. But PoP was connected to three people day two, and I was only connected to two. And I'm only connected to two today today, one of whom I was connected to day 2.

If you're looking to nail the person with the most information, it's almost certainly winvirus or PoP. Though, you're now admitting to having shared your word with no one, while still having knowledge of other people's words, which makes me think you're in a way better position than me, since I've only been able to exchange information.

##vote merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah, you're the leader right now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm definitely not the person with the most information right now, one of those three D2 connections was Byers (whose information everyone has) and both of my connections today still haven't even responded to my PMs. (pps if either of you are reading this, please respond even if you just want to tell me to pound sand or something)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Yeah, you're the leader right now.
How the hell would you know that? As far as I know, we haven't even been second-hand in touch OoT this game (I don't think anyone I've talked to has talked to you OoT). I will just tell everyone that I am at six words right now, counting one unconfirmed one (i.e. I haven't guessed it to verify it's truth). I don't even know the position for two of them.

And even if I were the leader, it wouldn't matter; because even if someone gets twelve words, it's going to be impossible to get yours without stumbling across it through sheer, dumb luck. I would be surprised if literally everyone else in the game hasn't given up their word to at least one other person (hell, I'm surprised you haven't). I'm honestly pretty disappointed in whoever gave you Winvirus' word for free; it's just feeding the beast.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I haven't had an opportunity to trade words.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

I haven't had an opportunity to trade words.
Unless you were cheating, or somehow pulled winvirus' out of this thread, that's a flat-out lie.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Thanatosian posted:

Unless you were cheating, or somehow pulled winvirus' out of this thread, that's a flat-out lie.

PoP sent it to me unprovoked at the request of winvirus. They can confirm.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You're trying real hard though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

You're trying real hard though.

And you're putting zero effort in, right?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

PoP sent it to me unprovoked at the request of winvirus. They can confirm.

That kind of makes me want to vote for one of them.

If they're sitting on enough words to just be able to give them away, that doesn't really bode well for those of us who aren't recipients of their largesse.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm trying but not trying to slam home votes on another player based on misrepresentations. My game is clean here. I'm literally no threat. We should be voting out threats.

Winvirus is playing a well thought out game. Disclosing your word with nothing asked in return makes you less of a threat. Why vote him out when you don't need his word? It's a viable strategy to quickly build trust.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Double post.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

That kind of makes me want to vote for one of them.

If they're sitting on enough words to just be able to give them away, that doesn't really bode well for those of us who aren't recipients of their largesse.

Well, your six words is more than what I've got so by that metric

##vote Thanatosian

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

Well, your six words is more than what I've got so by that metric

##vote Thanatosian

I don't think I do, because we've confirmed that you're sitting on at least five. Merk's gotten at least four without disclosing his word. And while I've exhausted all the resources I have available to me for day 3, you haven't touched yours.

So, worst-case scenario for you is you've got five, with at least two more potentially coming in. You can "one in the hand is worth two in the bush" all you want, but I'd much rather be in your position than mine.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

How long after the start of a day would you wait without hearing from someone you have an open line of communication with before assuming they don't want to exchange information? It's been over 24 hours, I assume they've had a chance to send a PM if they wanted to.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

I offered up my word to PoP as an exchange for something of his and had him pass it freely to merk and Byers at my behest as a show of trust.

I am in no formal alliance.

##vote thanos cutting off the head of the beast. Six words?? Crazy. I have like...four, tops? And one I haven't verified yet?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, the three of you, that we've been saying are working together since day one are all voting for me, and have all shared at least two words, but aren't "in any formal alliance?" Oh, please.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And unless what PoP gave you wasn't a word, that puts you at at least five.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

well, everyone has three [their own, byer's, nevermore]. i did not get one from merk or pop. i have obtained one from another person, so actually, doing my math, i have four. soooo

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

winvirus posted:

well, everyone has three [their own, byer's, nevermore]. i did not get one from merk or pop. i have obtained one from another person, so actually, doing my math, i have four. soooo

merk posted:

I've found one word through random guessing. I disclosed the guess that prompted the result to Hal, winvirus, and PoP. I have done nothing else exciting.

So, which one of you is lying?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

He hasn't found the word. He disclosed the list of words that he tried. It's in there somewhere. That's hardly "having a word".

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Man oh man, you really are the leader of that little bloc, aren't ya?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

merk posted:

somber, I will vote for the person who lied to you if you reveal that person.

I also wanna know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

Also, merk, thano thinks I'm much more threatening than I actually am. He legitimately thinks I was sandbagging by submitting six letter words when in reality that was totally accidental because well sometimes i am not smart

• Locked thread