Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Just gimme a companion who isn't "fashionable young contemporary girl."

Actually just bring Donna back. Her and Capaldi bickering at each other would be fantastic.

That's a bad idea. Since Capaldi and Tate are both older the idiots in charge will probably pull another sexual tension plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bicyclops posted:

The implication is that Danny was clever enough to see what sort of a person the Doctor was

And yet not clever enough to look both ways before crossing the street :colbert:

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

terrordactle posted:

That's a bad idea. Since Capaldi and Tate are both older the idiots in charge will probably pull another sexual tension plot.

Speaking of I think there's one thing we can all be thankful for this season and that's no more river song.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

My companion wishlist

- Handles: Bring back Handles. He was in one episode and was easily the best guy in that episode. Make him a regular companion for the Doctor.
- Future Human: Someone from humanity's future like Jack Harkness, only this time he/she stays.
- Past Human: Someone from humanities distant past. Doesn't have to be someone famous, hell I'd be happy with an old school Knight.
- More than one companion. Make it a trio, have an actual team.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shadoer posted:

My companion wishlist

- Handles: Bring back Handles. He was in one episode and was easily the best guy in that episode. Make him a regular companion for the Doctor.
- Future Human: Someone from humanity's future like Jack Harkness, only this time he/she stays.
- Past Human: Someone from humanities distant past. Doesn't have to be someone famous, hell I'd be happy with an old school Knight.

How about an alien companion, for a change? Nah, never happen. I'll just keep crossing my fingers and praying for any companion who isn't a 20-25 year old hot chick.

Also adding my vote for an entire season in space and on alien worlds. "All of time and space" and we end up in London/on Earth all the goddamned time... *sigh*

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Since it seems like Danny will be resurrected or something similar in the Christmas special I wouldn't be surprised if Osgood is also brought back and serves as the next companion.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They seem to be aiming to go back to the classic roots with their choice of doctor and with certain other choices (the master playing mind games with the doctor and trying to take him down to her level instead of taking over the world and turning the doctor into a gnome for one) I hope they can give a companiom setup from the classic era that has not been used since a shot.

I don't know any of those companions and especially not Pertwee's but whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shadoer posted:

My companion wishlist

Jamie and Zoe's return to the show 100% confirmed.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Acne Rain posted:

I don't know any of those companions and especially not Pertwee's but whatever.

The Doctor/Australian Air Hostess/Killer Alien Schoolboy/Shapeshifting Telepathic Android companion setup is sorely due for a revamp

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

especially not Pertwee's

Sarah Jane was originally a Pertwee companion!

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Just caught up with the last two episodes. I don't think the last half was as good as the first but as a whole and a regular season finale it was good enough, only pandorica/big bang beats it for my money. Missy was great and I hope she is a more regular antagonist in the future.

Overall though the season was excellent, much better than the last two (day of the doctor notwithstanding). I think it would be the second best of the revival imo, behind 5 but ahead of 4 and keeping season 2 in last place for the sixth year running.

Would anyone else rank this season as high?

madey fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 10, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

madey posted:

Overall yeah I would rank it second behind season 5 (for Moffat seasons). Season 6 had great individual episodes but was a mess as a season. Season 7 had a very strong second-half but a very weak front half. This season just maintained a pretty consistent quality punctuated by pure excellence (Mummy and Flatline) and developed this new Doctor's character pretty well across the whole season while also finally turning Clara into a compelling and proactive character.

Season 5 remains the gold standard though, outside of the Silurian 2-parter which is meh (with an amazing epilogue) every episode was great and the climax was sensationally good.

Edit: In terms of the revival as a whole, I'd still rank it Season 5, Season 4 and a combined season 1 & 2 for the top three spots. Season 1 and 2 when taken together tell a really great story, individually they're a little sloppy which is kinda to be expected given the show was finding its footing. I'll need a little more time/distance away from season 8 before I can really figure out exactly where it fits overall, but it's definitely a high ranker.

Season 3 remains my least favorite season of the revival, unless you count the year of specials as a season, because that was pretty terrible.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 10, 2014

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

madey posted:

Just caught up with the last two episodes. I don't think the last half was as good as the first but as a whole and a regular season finale it was good enough, only pandorica/big bang beats it for my money. Missy was great and I hope she is a more regular antagonist in the future.

Overall though the season was excellent, much better than the last two (day of the doctor notwithstanding). I think it would be the second best of the renewal imo, behind 5 but ahead of 4 and keeping season 2 in last place for the sixth year running.

Definitely. When the episode people are passing around as the garbage entry of the season is Forest of the Night, something has gone very right.

e: Yeah, the finale while good was more on par with the season rather than the grand climax of 5.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
I've looked forward to each new episode this series in a way that I haven't since the fifth.

Capaldi is wonderful and I can't wait until the Christmas episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yes, I thought this series was wonderful and a serious competitor with series five for the best of the revival. I'm not sure which I'd pick in the end - I don't think Death in Heaven stuck the landing as well as The Big Bang - but it's a really near thing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

josh04 posted:

Definitely. When the episode people are passing around as the garbage entry of the season is Forest of the Night, something has gone very right.

e: Yeah, the finale while good was more on par with the season rather than the grand climax of 5.

Forest was really undercooked and basically nothing happened, but it had atmosphere for days. Kill the Moon is the garbage episode, clearly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kill the Moon at least kicked off a lot of interesting discussion. I know that's external to the actual episode itself, but I have to give it credit for that at least. It's an episode I found myself thinking more highly of (it's still not very good) as time passed, whereas I found Forest of the Night stupid but endearing on a first watch but have grown to dislike it more as time passes.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Jerusalem posted:

Overall yeah I would rank it second behind season 5 (for Moffat seasons). Season 6 had great individual episodes but was a mess as a season. Season 7 had a very strong second-half but a very weak front half. This season just maintained a pretty consistent quality punctuated by pure excellence (Mummy and Flatline) and developed this new Doctor's character pretty well across the whole season while also finally turning Clara into a compelling and proactive character.

Arguably Clara was the lead character for this season and Coleman was sensational. I really didn't care for at all until now and I really wish there were more scenes of her and the doctor just in a room. The best scene of the year was Clara and the doctor in the restaurant in deep breath. That volcano scene would have been soo much better if it was stripped down to just the two of them rather than the crap cgi and overbearing sound effects.

I haven't seen much of the third doctor but I understand that for a lot of his run he is stranded on modern day earth. I think Capaldi and Coleman could pull off a season of that and I would lap it up. Its a shame that the producers and presumably some of the audience would not have the patience for that.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

madey posted:

Arguably Clara was the lead character for this season and Coleman was sensational. I really didn't care for at all until now and I really wish there were more scenes of her and the doctor just in a room. The best scene of the year was Clara and the doctor in the restaurant in deep breath. That volcano scene would have been soo much better if it was stripped down to just the two of them rather than the crap cgi and overbearing sound effects.

I haven't seen much of the third doctor but I understand that for a lot of his run he is stranded on modern day earth. I think Capaldi and Coleman could pull off a season of that and I would lap it up. Its a shame that the producers and presumably some of the audience would not have the patience for that.

The volcano scene without fart sounds would have probably had a bit more impact.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rannos22 posted:

The volcano scene without fart sounds would have probably had a bit more impact.

Between that and the boing sound in Deep Breath, I'm hoping that it's just hinting at a villain based around dumb cartoony sound effects.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Sorry I'm a bit behind, I just watched the whole two-parter last night and am not caught up with the thread yet. Maybe this has been mentioned, but

Astroman posted:

Oh, and was anyone else hoping the Doctor would just shrug, snap his fingers, and walk in the TARDIS after Clara threw away the last key?

That whole scene I just kept screaming internally "...but there's a spare in a cubby above the 'P'!"

I was curious if I was the only one or not.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Filox posted:

How about an alien companion, for a change? Nah, never happen. I'll just keep crossing my fingers and praying for any companion who isn't a 20-25 year old hot chick.

Also adding my vote for an entire season in space and on alien worlds. "All of time and space" and we end up in London/on Earth all the goddamned time... *sigh*

An alien companion would be great. You'd still need a human character to give the "audience perspective", but an actual alien would be awesome. While not Strax and crew, other aliens from the 3rd tier would be great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The Master should have killed vastra, strax, and jenny instead of osgood.
They're more established, there's more of them, and they appeared this season, this way we'd know the master is REALLY serious!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Shadoer posted:

An alien companion would be great. You'd still need a human character to give the "audience perspective", but an actual alien would be awesome. While not Strax and crew, other aliens from the 3rd tier would be great.

Nah I think a few episodes with Strax tagging along would be hilarious.

"I'll just go play with my grenades...:sigh:"

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Blasphemeral posted:

That whole scene I just kept screaming internally "...but there's a spare in a cubby above the 'P'!"

I was curious if I was the only one or not.

You were not.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Honestly this feels like the weakest moffatt season to me. I love capaldi but this season just fell flat to me

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So I watched the city of death the other day, I even knew it was by douglas adams but I did not expect the story to be so similar to his dirk gently book. Still enjoyed it though, and I didn't catch on for a while. I noticed douglas adams also wrote a second serial, which is in the key to time boxset. Are the pirate planet and the other ones included (Ribos Operation / Pirate Planet / Stones of Blood / Androids of Tara / Power of Kroll / Armageddon Factor) also of a similar quality? We also watched the genesis of the daleks and its amazing how such low tech / ancient effects don't really detract from a good story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Little_wh0re posted:

Honestly this feels like the weakest moffatt season to me. I love capaldi but this season just fell flat to me

Care to elaborate? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that, I'd just like to hear your thoughts in general on what didn't work across the season - did the season-long plot not resonate with you? The characterization? The structure of the episodes or even the general aesthetic. Or was it as simple as the show simply just didn't click with you this season?

The thread gets (bizarrely) accused of hive-mind consensus views a lot, so it'd be nice to hear a deeper discussion of the reasons why and how the season didn't work for somebody familiar with the show who watched the whole season and was left feeling it was flat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So does The Mistress also hear "the drums"? That was sent to all of time and space right?

Where did all the metal for the cybermen suits come from? That metal isn't even from earth is it?

These aren't real cybermen. They are Missymen. She got some cyberman tech and adapted it to suit her needs. Have we ever heard of "cyber pollen" before? Or flying cybermen? Or the cybermen making any part of the upgrade process voluntary? The Master made some changes.

Cyberpollen is some sort of nanotech, we know nanotech exists from the 'are you my mummy' episode. The nanites use surrounding minerals to build the metal shell. The result probably isn't as good as whatever the real cybermen use, but since nanites are built in it can probably self repair by scavenging materials. Hopefully whatever Danny did deactivated the remaining cyberpollen, or the next time the Doctor comes to visit earth he may find nothing but grey goo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm so happy The Master killed Osgood and Seb.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

They seem to be aiming to go back to the classic roots with their choice of doctor and with certain other choices (the master playing mind games with the doctor and trying to take him down to her level instead of taking over the world and turning the doctor into a gnome for one) I hope they can give a companiom setup from the classic era that has not been used since a shot.

Technically, Smith's Doctor with Amy and Rory was a classic era setup.

As much as I liked Gomez's Master, I do kind of wish they steered away from the "batshit crazy psycho" characterization that seems to be the hallmark of every post revival Master (save Derek Jacobi) and went back to "malevolent power seeker that does crazy things here and there just to be a dick". It seemed like they were going in that direction with her in Dark Water but then they went right back to bananas the next episode.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ika posted:

So I watched the city of death the other day, I even knew it was by douglas adams but I did not expect the story to be so similar to his dirk gently book. Still enjoyed it though, and I didn't catch on for a while. I noticed douglas adams also wrote a second serial, which is in the key to time boxset. Are the pirate planet and the other ones included (Ribos Operation / Pirate Planet / Stones of Blood / Androids of Tara / Power of Kroll / Armageddon Factor) also of a similar quality? We also watched the genesis of the daleks and its amazing how such low tech / ancient effects don't really detract from a good story.

Yeah the first Dirk Gently book is pretty much a combination of City and the cancelled serial Shada, with some original characters to make up the Doctor's part.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ika posted:

So I watched the city of death the other day, I even knew it was by douglas adams but I did not expect the story to be so similar to his dirk gently book. Still enjoyed it though, and I didn't catch on for a while.

You should watch what there is of Shada, another Douglas Adams story; it has some much more obvious links. Unfortunately only about half the scenes were filmed because of a strike, so the only versions available have linking narration.

quote:

I noticed douglas adams also wrote a second serial, which is in the key to time boxset. Are the pirate planet and the other ones included (Ribos Operation / Pirate Planet / Stones of Blood / Androids of Tara / Power of Kroll / Armageddon Factor) also of a similar quality? We also watched the genesis of the daleks and its amazing how such low tech / ancient effects don't really detract from a good story.

Honestly, none of them are as good as City or Genesis. I definitely enjoyed Key to Time, but the quality of the stories is very variable and even the best of them don't have especially stand out writing. The cast are strong in most of them, at least.

If you want another story with the feel of City I'd recommend The Talons of Weng-Chiang, though be warned that it contains some less-than-progressive portrayals of foreigners.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Jerusalem posted:

Care to elaborate? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything like that, I'd just like to hear your thoughts in general on what didn't work across the season - did the season-long plot not resonate with you? The characterization? The structure of the episodes or even the general aesthetic. Or was it as simple as the show simply just didn't click with you this season?

The thread gets (bizarrely) accused of hive-mind consensus views a lot, so it'd be nice to hear a deeper discussion of the reasons why and how the season didn't work for somebody familiar with the show who watched the whole season and was left feeling it was flat.

I'm going to bed now but will try and piece something together tomorrow

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Adams wasn't happy with how The Pirate Planet turned out, because to him it felt like everyone went "this is a comedy, so we've got to do the funny voices and silly walks"- it's played very broad and doesn't always work as a result (the first episode cliffhanger is particularly awkward.) But it's fairly imaginative and entertaining regardless.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
This series has felt a lot more consistent quality-wise than 6 and 7, without hitting the highs of something like The Girl Who Waited.

The only episodes I didn't like were Deep Breath and Death in Heaven, which is unfortunate because they're the ones that leave the most lasting impressions.

I'm at the same point now as I was with RTD where I like the tone and direction overall with Moffat, but I just wish he'd stick to script editing and setting the pace and write less himself.

Much like RTD was capable of writing a Gridlock or a Midnight away from the stresses of writing the season arc stuff, I'd like to see more Listens and fewer The Wedding of River Songs. I don't want a fundamental overhaul of the show, just a paring down of the bits that clearly do not work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ika posted:

I think the season starts of great and gets worse from there

Ribos Operation is a straight up Robert Holmes classic. It's funny, it's clever, it's got a bunch of enjoyable side-characters. It also looks pretty good because they literally borrowed a bunch of costumes from a previous production of Anna Karenina.

Pirate Planet is Douglas Adams at somewhere below his best, which is still a lot better than the average writer.

Stones of Blood is half "weird mystery in an English country house" (eg Image of the Fendahl, Pyramids of Mars) and half "sci-fi courtroom farce", and it would have been better if it had picked one or the other. It's not that either bit is bad, it's just that they shouldn't have been in the same episode.

Androids of Tara is Prisoner of Zenda because why not. It's enjoyable preposterous I guess.

Power of Kroll is Robert Holmes practicing for Caves of Androzani. It's a big naff, and basically everything that works is done better elsewhere (especially in Caves).

Armageddon Factor is too long and disappointing, and is probably the worst of the season.

e: Life, the Universe and Everything was also based on an unused Doctor Who script called "The Krikkitmen".

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 11, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I can't enter this (:canada:), but I'm sure there are some people in this thread who will want to... Teefury.com is giving away a life-size TARDIS in an upcoming contest.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stones of Blood is half "weird mystery in an English country house" (eg Image of the Fendahl, Pyramids of Mars) and half "sci-fi courtroom farce", and it would have been better if it had picked one or the other. It's not that either bit is bad, it's just that they shouldn't have been in the same episode.

I disagree with that, I love how it just takes that weird left turn shortly before the last episode, it makes it memorable. It's better than the next three stories.

Actually looking at them listed like that makes it clear how that entire series is one straight downward line in term of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Noxville posted:

I disagree with that, I love how it just takes that weird left turn shortly before the last episode, it makes it memorable. It's better than the next three stories.

Actually looking at them listed like that makes it clear how that entire series is one straight downward line in term of quality.
Yeah, it's a matter of taste. I like the serial, I just think you could have made two good stories from it. Amelia is a hoot as well.

I had the rough idea that the season got worse as it went but putting it down like that made it clear.

• Locked thread