Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

All IEMs I buy have their cables dead (contact problems) within a month or two. Do I have to buy more expensive stuff or there is some magic stuff how I can avoid the problem? I use them to listen stuff from phone, it's in front pocket of my jeans with audio port facing upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Budget - I'd prefer to spend less than $100
Source - Computer, maybe phone. This'll be an at-home pair, with no travel involved
Isolation Requirements - I like to keep my sound to myself, but I'm not super concerned about it
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural or supra-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess? I'm not as concerned about strengths as about weaknesses; having a big obvious hole in the sound range will probably bother me
Past Headphones - It's been about a decade since I've had anything but earbuds, I don't really like IEMs. Had a circumaural pair when I was a kid and I'd kind of like to go back to that again. I'm using iPod/iPhone earbuds since it's hard to find quality earbuds at all, and I'm happy enough with their sound profile
Preferred Music - TV and videogames, mostly

The main thing I'm looking for isn't really super mega audiophile sound quality, but rather comfort - something I can wear for long periods of time without any discomfort. Decent sound quality would be nice too, but I'd prefer to have headphones that are pleasant to wear even when they're NOT playing sound; build quality is also desired. The headphone guides don't really help that much, since they mostly focus on sound quality stuff that I barely understand at best. Does anyone know any lower-cost comfortable headphones?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any use case where supraaural headphones would be preferred to circumaural?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any use case where supraaural headphones would be preferred to circumaural?

Only situation I can think of is if the skin around your ears is incredibly sensitive while the skin on your ears themselves is not.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got my HD598s (wood burl!) yesterday and they are fantastic. So light and comfortable, very pleasant to wear especially after the shure sr-440s with the cracked pleather cups.

Sound amazing too, just very balanced and airy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Retarded Pimp posted:

Here's a pretty good list, sort by price and start looking at the reviews in your price range. "Best" is so subjective, it's hard to recommend one without knowing what sound signature they prefer. A basshead probably wouldn't like the Ety house sound too much, though if they do like that sound, then the Hifi Man RE-400 or Etymotic HF5 would be pretty good ones.

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

True enough, of course. Not really sure what kind of sound he prefers, should've let him try my ER4s while I was there. Thanks for the link, I'll send it over. I love mine of course but the microphonics and non user-replaceable cable prevented me from recommending Etys, though it might in fact be still one of the best options.

Oh well, gotta buy some more crap for them soon - filters, silicone tips and a pouch. Again. Because my bag that had the pouch in it (but not the headphones, thankfully) got stolen, while the original one was eaten by the dog. However I always wondered about the custom molds - does anyone have experience with those? Are there any reasonably affordable options?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

kalstrams posted:

All IEMs I buy have their cables dead (contact problems) within a month or two. Do I have to buy more expensive stuff or there is some magic stuff how I can avoid the problem? I use them to listen stuff from phone, it's in front pocket of my jeans with audio port facing upwards.

Stop stuffing them in your pocket, especially when not in use.

Main Paineframe posted:

Budget - I'd prefer to spend less than $100
Source - Computer, maybe phone. This'll be an at-home pair, with no travel involved
Isolation Requirements - I like to keep my sound to myself, but I'm not super concerned about it
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural or supra-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess? I'm not as concerned about strengths as about weaknesses; having a big obvious hole in the sound range will probably bother me
Past Headphones - It's been about a decade since I've had anything but earbuds, I don't really like IEMs. Had a circumaural pair when I was a kid and I'd kind of like to go back to that again. I'm using iPod/iPhone earbuds since it's hard to find quality earbuds at all, and I'm happy enough with their sound profile
Preferred Music - TV and videogames, mostly

The main thing I'm looking for isn't really super mega audiophile sound quality, but rather comfort - something I can wear for long periods of time without any discomfort. Decent sound quality would be nice too, but I'd prefer to have headphones that are pleasant to wear even when they're NOT playing sound; build quality is also desired. The headphone guides don't really help that much, since they mostly focus on sound quality stuff that I barely understand at best. Does anyone know any lower-cost comfortable headphones?

NVX XPT100 for sure.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good pair of wireless headphones (or a headset) for me?

Budget - I'd like to spend $100 or less but if I have to go up to $150ish that's cool.
Source - A computing machine
Isolation Requirements - Nah
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I have no idea
Past Headphones - A bunch of poo poo and also pair of Ars Technica over-ear headphones that are super comfortable and sound great to me
Preferred Music - It's for video games

I really don't care for it to include a microphone, but if it does I guess that's cool. The wireless requirement is making this hard for me, but I absolutely do want wireless.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

priznat posted:

Got my HD598s (wood burl!) yesterday and they are fantastic. So light and comfortable, very pleasant to wear especially after the shure sr-440s with the cracked pleather cups.

Sound amazing too, just very balanced and airy.
Came here to post the exact same thing. I only got to try them out for a few minutes but they sound absolutely incredible. Thanks for the help, thread!

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Budget - $200, if necessary.
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - I don't want my cubicle-mates 4 feet away from me to hear what I'm listening to, and I don't want to hear them, either.
Preferred Type - Over the ear. Whatever is comfortable and not too ostentatious. I'm going to be wearing these ~8 hours a day.
Past Headphones - Currently using those cheap monoprice headphones but they hurt my ears. Prior to that was the Sennheiser HD201 which felt good but didn't block sound well enough. MY Sony MDRZX100 had the same problem.

More than anything else, I need something to keep outside office noise out. I'll mostly be streaming music off pandora so sound quality is important but not crucial.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The ATH-A900x works well enough from low powered sources, is very comfortable and is a closed phone, so it will keep most outside noise out.
And $145 is a pretty good price for these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TCZIQA/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B000E9VKUQ

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Retarded Pimp posted:

The ATH-A900x works well enough from low powered sources, is very comfortable and is a closed phone, so it will keep most outside noise out.
And $145 is a pretty good price for these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TCZIQA/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B000E9VKUQ

I paid like $225 for my AD900x, and they are one of my favourite buys ever at that price. If the A900x are similarly as good but closed, that's a fantastic buy.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hey there headphone dudes. Could use some help deciding what IEMs to get for listening to music/podcasts at work and while walking around campus. My biggest concern is just finding a pair that actually stays in. I've never been able to find earbuds that actually comfortably stay in my ears.

Budget - $100-150
Source - iPhone & Laptop
Isolation Requirements - Maybe a little bit, mostly will be using these at work which is quiet, but also walking around campus.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Idunno - Balanced I guess
Past Headphones - I use a pair of Sennheiser HD555s at home and love them to death. Right now I use these stupid Earpods that came with my iPhone at work, but I hate them because they fall out if someone breaths within 20 feet of me.
Preferred Music - I listen to a bunch of different stuff, preferably something that sounds good with whatever I listen to in them.

Onne other question while I'm here: I'm probably going to replace my 555s at some point in the near future because they're falling apart. Looking at the 558 or 598 depending on how much I decide to spend. They look to be very similar in design to the 555s - do the sides still crack or did Sennheiser fix that?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

AtrociousToaster posted:

Hey there headphone dudes. Could use some help deciding what IEMs to get for listening to music/podcasts at work and while walking around campus. My biggest concern is just finding a pair that actually stays in. I've never been able to find earbuds that actually comfortably stay in my ears.

Budget - $100-150
Source - iPhone & Laptop
Isolation Requirements - Maybe a little bit, mostly will be using these at work which is quiet, but also walking around campus.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Idunno - Balanced I guess
Past Headphones - I use a pair of Sennheiser HD555s at home and love them to death. Right now I use these stupid Earpods that came with my iPhone at work, but I hate them because they fall out if someone breaths within 20 feet of me.
Preferred Music - I listen to a bunch of different stuff, preferably something that sounds good with whatever I listen to in them.

Try something with a Etymotic like shape, basically a straight tube with an angle at the cord, it seems like there's less fiddle factor with IEM's shaped like that. Angle the tip up then forward a bit while inserting and they should be good. Try different tips until you find something that works.

AFA what IEM's, the Etymotic HF5, Vsonic VC1000 are both in that price range, have a balanced sound and have that form factor. The HiFi Man RE-400 kinda sorta has that shape, except fatter.

The Ety MC5 is similar to the HF5, but in a lower price range.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Cool, thanks for the help! I think I'm gonna go with the HF5, they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I received a new pair of Sennheiser Urbanite headphones in black, but I have no use for them. They go for $200, so I thought to offer them up to the thread for $100 + shipping before dealing with Ebay.

Video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hDcT_gSZ8

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 13, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Fancy Corndog posted:

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good pair of wireless headphones (or a headset) for me?

Budget - I'd like to spend $100 or less but if I have to go up to $150ish that's cool.
Source - A computing machine
Isolation Requirements - Nah
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I have no idea
Past Headphones - A bunch of poo poo and also pair of Ars Technica over-ear headphones that are super comfortable and sound great to me
Preferred Music - It's for video games

I really don't care for it to include a microphone, but if it does I guess that's cool. The wireless requirement is making this hard for me, but I absolutely do want wireless.

This was pretty much exactly what I was going to ask, except my budget limit goes to ~$300.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Both of you should look at Sennheiser's wireless options.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Protip for you HD800 owners: don't let your not-quite-house-trained-yet dog get to them. The chipped paint I can live with since these cans naturally shed paint (for some reason), but they don't work so good with only one ear pad. At least the fall didn't break anything, but I most definitely had a better use for these 90€.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Midorka posted:

Both of you should look at Sennheiser's wireless options.

Thanks for the tip, I'm getting a pair of Sennheiser RS 170 WEST.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

So I finally got a pair of the M50. the headphones I absolutely hate! Can't wait to listen to them.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The Logitech UE 4000 is currently super cheap on Amazon. I am using sennheiser hd 202s that i got years ago. Should I grab a pair of these or should I pony up and buy something nicer? This will be primarily for gaming on my PC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just caught up with the thread after a few months out of the loop and I gotta say that I'm surprised nobody's had an opinion or verdict on the Beats Solo2 (!) apparently doing the impossible and getting rave reviews and making Head-Fi collectively lose its poo poo.

Now, to be honest, I'd only learned about this today myself in an article about the Bluetooth version's release. An early review says it sounds just like the wired one.

If that's true (and if the wired one's as good as they say) then I might end up doing what I never expected and Black Friday'ing myself a Bluetooth set to use with my computer and iPhone.

Also, some reviewers have commented on how these headphones could supposedly be really important for audiophiles in that they bring affordable, legitimately high-quality audio to the masses in a product that will sell like no other $100+ headphone on the market- thus, possibly changing the market demand for hi-fi.

Thoughts?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just caught up with the thread after a few months out of the loop and I gotta say that I'm surprised nobody's had an opinion or verdict on the Beats Solo2 (!) apparently doing the impossible and getting rave reviews and making Head-Fi collectively lose its poo poo.

Now, to be honest, I'd only learned about this today myself in an article about the Bluetooth version's release. An early review says it sounds just like the wired one.

If that's true (and if the wired one's as good as they say) then I might end up doing what I never expected and Black Friday'ing myself a Bluetooth set to use with my computer and iPhone.

Also, some reviewers have commented on how these headphones could supposedly be really important for audiophiles in that they bring affordable, legitimately high-quality audio to the masses in a product that will sell like no other $100+ headphone on the market- thus, possibly changing the market demand for hi-fi.

Thoughts?

I gave the Solo 2 a demo and they're certainly not revolutionizing anything, nor are they excellent for the price in comparison to the the entirety of the audiophile world. Anyone who says otherwise is being hyperbolic. They are very nice sounding warm headphones, a huge improvement over past efforts and a headphone that I wouldn't mind owning. When throwing away the fashion phone mark-up they perform to a point where I'd expect to pay $150 new and think it were a fair price. They remind me a bit of the B&W P5. The reason they're getting hype is because of the shock of Beats making an almost great valued headphone. If these were Sennheiser's most people wouldn't bat much of an eye. Hell no one is really talking about the Urbanite.

They are a much better value than the B&W P5 and I don't think many would argue that. I would be embarrassed to wear them in public though, as I would with any fashion phone. I think these look a lot nicer than the past, but the culture behind them is one I wouldn't want to be associated with.

To put it simple, at $150 they are a great value IMO. At $200 they're a great value when considering only fashion based headphones. I would recommend the thinksound On1 over them though, as I think they look nicer and I believe they'll last longer.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So there's a massdrop deal for beyerdynamic 770s which has got me back on considering a new pair of headphones. Currently I'm using a pair of me electronic m6s with my phone or whatever since my old 'gaming headset' crapped out.

IIRC I demoed the 770 or another pair of beyerdynamics in the past alongside the ATH m50. I liked the fit and isolation of the beyer and the velvet pads were comfortable but the sound of the cans themselves was a little fatiguing. Head Fi reviews seem vaguely positive while constantly mentioning the bass. It's been like 3 years so I don't remember how I found the sound other than a little punchy, that can probably be blamed as much on comparing them to my ear buds as to the cans' quality.

If I end up committing my price range is $100-$200. My usual listening platform is whatever I can find on youtube so it might not really matter. This pair would probably stay with a desktop PC but having the chance to use them with my phone would be decent, I'm not really planning to buy an amp though.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I'm looking for new IEMs after the contact or something broke on them, the sound keeps going out in one ear and it keeps activating the voice search on my Nexus 5 for some reason. I kept them in a case to avoid damage, but apparently that didn't work. What's the recommended way to handle cables as to avoid damaging them?

Budget - 100 dollars or less, Canadian. Can go a bit higher if necessary.
Source - Nexus 5 phone and Nexus 7 tablet, for the tablet I'm going to need either a longer cable or an extension cord, as I tend to sit away from it.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation preferred, but I can make do without.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM, with the cable wrapping around the ear and down.
Preferred Tonal Balance - The biggest problem with these IEMS I have are that the vocals and higher registers sound really screechy at high volume, and thus it's hard to get a comfortable volume as the max volume is about what's comfortable for me.
Past Headphones - Meelectronics Sport-Fi S6P IEMs. I don't really like these IEMs I have very much, aside from them being completely useless at this point. They had a built in microphone which screwed with the Nexus 5 voice commands, so avoiding a built in microphone would be great. As well, the volume slider on them was terrible, very hard to get a comfortable volume on them and they were constantly moving around on me. I'd prefer either no volume adjustment at all, or buttons.
Preferred Music - Primarily anime OSTs, specifically ones by Yuki Kajiura. Madoka, Fate/Zero, and Kara no Kyoukai as of right now. Generally she has an orchestral to chamber ensemble style, to some more rock type stuff on a couple songs. As well as vocal stuff in Japanese.

I'm thinking of maybe going wireless, are bluetooth IEMs any good? I don't really want to deal with a crappy signal and static or whatever the crap would happen. I listen to all my music in FLAC, so consistent sound quality is a must. My favourite brand for headphones is Sennheiser, using a pair of HD 558s with my computer, but they bleed sound way too much for use outside of that. I'm thinking I would like some Sennheiser IEMs as well, but I'm willing to explore other options.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hopefully this is the place to ask this, but I use my computer with headphones as my only speakers, but the volume levels in Windows 7 are so smashed that it's often hard to get music loud enough (and I don't even like it super loud, either). Does anyone here know of a utility or software for Windows 7 that gives me much more control of my sound volume and such?

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Lord Justice posted:

So I'm looking for new IEMs after the contact or something broke on them, the sound keeps going out in one ear and it keeps activating the voice search on my Nexus 5 for some reason. I kept them in a case to avoid damage, but apparently that didn't work. What's the recommended way to handle cables as to avoid damaging them?

Budget - 100 dollars or less, Canadian. Can go a bit higher if necessary.

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/ might help you

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Thanks, I ended up going with a pair of Shure SE215-Ks.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!
I'm just looking for a decent pair of headphones for my computer and guitar playing. Listening to music, playing guitar through an amp / my computer, and gaming are the main things I'd need them for since I use earbuds for my iPod when I'm out. I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like at least decent sound. I do like to crank the volume when I play, but living in a condo means being considerate so I started using headphones.

Budget - $100, give or take
Source - PC, Spider II guitar amp (I know), possibly classic iPod and Galaxy Note 3
Isolation Requirements - Don't need isolation, open headphones are fine
Preferred Type of Headphone - Preferably over-the-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - A little up on the bass, but beyond that I suppose a decent balance. I'm not sure to be honest
Past Headphones - I currently use wireless RCA WHP141s and they work alright, but there's a constant faint hiss & crackling, and the volume doesn't get terribly high. (http://www.amazon.com/RCA-WHP141B-900MHZ-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B000ENRQ3M).
Preferred Music - Mostly hard rock, metal, the occasional classical piece. But pretty much 70s/80s/90s rock and metal. Trying to revisit my high school tastes for nostalgia was a horrible decision. I warn you, don't do it.

The headphones are mostly for my computer, music listening and guitar playing. I don't need to have a closed set since I won't bother anyone within my own walls, and they'd get daily use. Maybe used with my TV's sound system if someone's over trying to sleep, but 97% of the time will be the computer or an amp.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Are there good wireless headphones to use while lifting? From lifters I've heard these are popular, but I'd like the general audiophile opinion as well http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S11-Flex-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009M27MB2

And I suppose this could be extended to IEMs that are pretty secure in the ear.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 16, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

I gave the Solo 2 a demo and they're certainly not revolutionizing anything, nor are they excellent for the price in comparison to the the entirety of the audiophile world. Anyone who says otherwise is being hyperbolic. They are very nice sounding warm headphones, a huge improvement over past efforts and a headphone that I wouldn't mind owning. When throwing away the fashion phone mark-up they perform to a point where I'd expect to pay $150 new and think it were a fair price. They remind me a bit of the B&W P5. The reason they're getting hype is because of the shock of Beats making an almost great valued headphone. If these were Sennheiser's most people wouldn't bat much of an eye. Hell no one is really talking about the Urbanite.

They are a much better value than the B&W P5 and I don't think many would argue that. I would be embarrassed to wear them in public though, as I would with any fashion phone. I think these look a lot nicer than the past, but the culture behind them is one I wouldn't want to be associated with.

To put it simple, at $150 they are a great value IMO. At $200 they're a great value when considering only fashion based headphones. I would recommend the thinksound On1 over them though, as I think they look nicer and I believe they'll last longer.

I haven't listened to them personally myself yet, but I'll take all of that into consideration when I get a chance to look at them. I wouldn't expect them to be a replacement for a "proper" audiophile phone and I wouldn't consider buying a pair with that end in mind. There's a place for headphones that make you sit down and plug them into an amp and there's a place for headphones that you can surf the web from a tablet on your porch with or take to the library for homework or whatever. I've got a pair of M50 that have historically served that purpose but they're the ones with the long coiled cable, which is frankly pretty ungainly on top of requiring me to pull my phone out of its case in order to use them with it.

The fact that you call the Solo 2 a great value at $150 suggests that you like them more than the ATH-M50x (most reviews I've seen seem to slant in the opposite direction, but I know where you stand on the old M50 and I doubt your opinion's changed much with the new model), which would appear to be a logical replacement.

To be totally honest, I'm not super interested in the standard Solo 2 and I definitely wouldn't rush out to get a pair (or a set of M50x, for that matter) but I am definitely curious about the new bluetooth ones. Aside from call/remote functionality (which the originals also have), the pairing seems to be pretty quick and painless (at least with Apple gear, which covers my needs). If the sound quality's as decent as the originals seem to be then they might be perfect "everyday" phones, even out on the street. Regardless, I'll probably wait and see what comes down the pipeline next, especially with the whole Apple acquisition business. There's rumors about Lightning-based DACs and whatnot, and while I have no real optimism for any of that or for Beats to become a legitimately high quality manufacturer, time will only make this model cheaper at the very least.

As for the pricing, the Beats range has historically gotten pretty solid and consistent Black Friday deals, so I can't see any version of the Solo 2 being a bad option for someone in that context- especially since proper audiophile phones almost never get those sorts of seasonal price cuts. And given Beats' fashion phone business model, the Solo 2 should be available for dirt cheap in 2015.

I'll disagree with you on the On1's aesthetics, but that's purely a matter of personal preference. And while I'm really strongly tempted to agree with you on the whole "embarrassed to wear them in public" thing, I think that the Solo 2 are, on their own, a lot more attractive than the Sennheiser Urbanite. It sucks that they've got all of this baggage because I think they've got legitimately great aesthetic design and capitulating to it on the grounds of "not looking like those idiots who don't know any better" sounds more contrarian and insecure than it does noble to me. But at the same time, Will.I.Am.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

TheArtist 314 posted:

I'm just looking for a decent pair of headphones for my computer and guitar playing. Listening to music, playing guitar through an amp / my computer, and gaming are the main things I'd need them for since I use earbuds for my iPod when I'm out. I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like at least decent sound. I do like to crank the volume when I play, but living in a condo means being considerate so I started using headphones.

I think that the NVX XPT100 are a great all-around option for you.

quote:

The fact that you call the Solo 2 a great value at $150 suggests that you like them more than the ATH-M50x (most reviews I've seen seem to slant in the opposite direction, but I know where you stand on the old M50 and I doubt your opinion's changed much with the new model), which would appear to be a logical replacement.
I haven't heard the M50x, but I do have an hour or so experience with the M50 from a demo unit. I hated them then, but I recently acquired a pair. Unfortunately they have big channel imbalance issues. I was sort of seeing why someone would like the sound, but I think that was because it wasn't as "in your face" since the one channel was clearly imbalanced. I've heard a few closed ~$200 headphones though, including the Focal Spirit One and I would take the Solo2 over the Spirit One in all honesty and I think they serve a spot in the ~$200 range. I am going to try to give the M50 a fair chance though, I'll see once I find a pair used at a cheap price that doesn't have issues.

quote:

As for the pricing, the Beats range has historically gotten pretty solid and consistent Black Friday deals, so I can't see any version of the Solo 2 being a bad option for someone in that context- especially since proper audiophile phones almost never get those sorts of seasonal price cuts. And given Beats' fashion phone business model, the Solo 2 should be available for dirt cheap in 2015.
If the Solo2 happen to drop to $130 or so I'll probably pick up a pair in all honesty. I would like to spend more time with them for sure.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!

Midorka posted:

TheArtist 314 posted:

I think that the NVX XPT100 are a great all-around option for you.

I saw those linked earlier in the thread, I'll definitely take a look at them, thanks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Midorka posted:

I haven't heard the M50x, but I do have an hour or so experience with the M50 from a demo unit. I hated them then, but I recently acquired a pair. Unfortunately they have big channel imbalance issues. I was sort of seeing why someone would like the sound, but I think that was because it wasn't as "in your face" since the one channel was clearly imbalanced. I've heard a few closed ~$200 headphones though, including the Focal Spirit One and I would take the Solo2 over the Spirit One in all honesty and I think they serve a spot in the ~$200 range. I am going to try to give the M50 a fair chance though, I'll see once I find a pair used at a cheap price that doesn't have issues.

That sucks about the imbalance issues. They're definitely worth an honest listen and I would see about maybe sending them to Audio Technica for repair if you can. That said, my girlfriend's got a pair of M50x and they're more neutral and "honest" sounding than their predecessor (the M50 can be a little shrill by comparison). Since they're also the current model version, those would be the ones I'd recommend getting. They go for ~$160, but I'm sure that there are discounted ones available in the $100-$150 range (the M50 have been Black Friday'd on Amazon before so it's possible that the M50x will get that sort of treatment).

In reading up more on the Solo2 and Urbanite (they look a lot better than my initial impressions), I found out that both versions of Momentum have been price-dropped by about $100 since their introductions. The on-ear models apparently lose to the Urbanite in terms of sound quality but the word seems to favor the standard Momentum over the Urbanite XL. I might have to rethink some of my near-future headphone plans....

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

The only reason I ended up with M50s was because I'm selling my SR80i and someone offered a XLR removable cable modded version straight up for the SR80i. Turns out someone botched the job or something. They're going back to him.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Anyone have experience with Sennheiser RS 180's? Looking for a wireless addition to my home theater setup upon the discovery that my new apt has paper thin walls.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Can anyone give me advice on CIEMs? I would like a lower end pair (like Noble Audio 3c) and those are the ones I'm currently planning on getting. I'm not totally married to their crazy designs so if anyone knows some that are a bit cheaper and not all fancy wizard colours it would be great to hear about them! Also just CIEM purchase advice in general. Thanks!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I ended up getting these and they're perfect, thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Okay dudes, starting the hype machine now: Limitless Creations HP3BK. NVX sent me them today, they're the sister company of NVX. I threw these on about 30 minutes ago and haven't wanted to remove them. Without knowing the MSRP I suspected around $120+ and was drat near spot on. So these sound like $120 headphones and are $130 headphones, but are retailing for $40 right now.

The sound has a slight mid-bass hump with a slight scoop out of the mids with mellow highs. Not rolled off, just not accented. The sound reminds me a bit of the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 from memory. I have my XPT100 I will do a comparison to later, but for $40 these are worth every penny and more. I don't know how long the deal is going to last but for $40 you're getting a hell of a deal.