Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've never seen an IAE (in-airplane-entertainment?) system that wasn't poop. poo poo screen, unbearably poor sound quality, terrible touch screen.

It's fair enough that it's ancient, though, planes go through a ridiculously long design phase and have strict requirements, so they can't just plop in an Android tablet. That's why I bring one myself and/or a laptop. Some planes even have 220V power jacks under the seat now, and an USB plug in the headrest in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I just wish there were a way to see the map they put on the lovely touch screen on my tablet.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pilsner posted:

I've never seen an IAE (in-airplane-entertainment?) system that wasn't poop. poo poo screen, unbearably poor sound quality, terrible touch screen.

It's fair enough that it's ancient, though, planes go through a ridiculously long design phase and have strict requirements, so they can't just plop in an Android tablet.

If they have such trouble making a decent video player, it makes you wonder what they've got in the cockpit controlling the drat plane.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I'd rather their money was going on the cockpit over improving the IFE to be honest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Good news! Pneumatic tubes are making a comeback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSBS2F9VXaE

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tunicate posted:

This video is loaded with GIF possibilities.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tunicate posted:

Yay! Time for the office hamster to go on a factory racing tour again.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tunicate posted:

Did they just build a water slide for fish?(!)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tunicate posted:

So many things could be delivered with pneumatic tubes! Whole fish, pairs of glasses, cell phone batteries, burritos, souvenir replicas of the Empire State Building, t shirts, toothpaste!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

cheerfullydrab posted:

So many things could be delivered with pneumatic tubes! Whole fish, pairs of glasses, cell phone batteries, burritos, souvenir replicas of the Empire State Building, t shirts, toothpaste!

Donnie think vacuum. :downs:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

blugu64 posted:

Did they just build a water slide for fish?(!)

The technical term is 'salmon cannon'.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can someone splice the fish-highspeed-vaccuum-tube into a gif with the canned chicken that comes out of that ladies back end

I need it for a friend

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Fish'n'Slide or bust

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Fish'n'Slide or bust

Salm'n'Slide

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I use Airplane mode when I go into a foreign country to avoid roaming fees.

Roaming fees – particularly in Europe – are also going to be obsolete in a year's time, after the European Parliament voted in April to abolish them all as of December 2015.

Unsurprisingly, UKIP voted against this. :negative:

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

TinTower posted:

Roaming fees – particularly in Europe – are also going to be obsolete in a year's time, after the European Parliament voted in April to abolish them all as of December 2015.

Coming over here, using our phone signal...

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
drat gypsies roaming all the time.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

twosideddice posted:

Coming over here, using our phone signal...

This is a Stewart Lee reference, isn't it?

mng posted:

drat gypsies roaming all the time.

Well, the preferred term is Roma.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Trifecta!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12380027

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh, the Rome in Italy. That Rome. Thanks for clarifying that, BBC.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Could be the one in upstate New York. Lots of gypsies in that area.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Could be?? Don't forget that the The Alameda-Weehawken Burrito Tunnel is essentially a pneumatic system.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TinTower posted:

In the UK, there's call for the various networks to essentially pool their networks so anyone with a phone can just connect to any network, thus giving everyone good coverage. Aaaaand Theresa May is against it, because TERRORISM. God drat politicians are rear end backwards over here. And everywhere else.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Come visit Australia if you want truly backwards pollies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know I've probably mentioned it before but I'll mention it, again, in case I haven't. Probably more of a rant than anything else...

Google TV.

A pretty good idea, I sort of 'like' the concept, it could have really been something great once the prices dropped to a sub-$100 level...

On the other other hand, I don't think I've seen a tech device like this end with somehow consistently LESS features and support during its lifecycle than it launched with.

Seems sort of strange because it just feels like between Google's success with tablets, Chromecast, Chromebooks, and a reimagined/rebranded "Android TV" on the horizon to replace it, GTV has just felt like it has never been handled well from any angle.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Slime posted:

In the UK, there's call for the various networks to essentially pool their networks so anyone with a phone can just connect to any network, thus giving everyone good coverage. Aaaaand Theresa May is against it, because TERRORISM. God drat politicians are rear end backwards over here. And everywhere else.

She's a Home Secretary; it's her job to run around like Chicken Little and shout "Terrorism!".

That said, the plans for domestic network roaming are kinda flawed, especially as they're only limiting themselves to 2G signal.

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

minato posted:

This is a Stewart Lee reference, isn't it?

It wasn't meant to be, but now you mention it, those bloody Huguenots coming over here from medieval France and questioning the Eucharistic symbolism.

For those who haven't seen it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23yv5y_stewart-lee-on-immigration-paul-nuttall-and-ukip_fun

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

Salm'n'Slide

High Troutput

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'd rather their money was going on the cockpit over improving the IFE to be honest.

There's nothing left to improve there. The biggest dangers in air travel are maintenance and human error.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Slime posted:

In the UK, there's call for the various networks to essentially pool their networks so anyone with a phone can just connect to any network, thus giving everyone good coverage. Aaaaand Theresa May is against it, networkecause TERRORISM. God drat politicians are rear end backwards over here. And everywhere else.

I think the main problem is that none of the network owners have a way of recharging each other for local roaming so nobody then knows who owes who what. It's also useless for people in the middle of nowhere becaude nobody is going to build a tower to then have their competitors get money for using it.

It's a good political idea that's also a poo poo practical idea, so no surprise there.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think the main problem is that none of the network owners have a way of recharging each other for local roaming so nobody then knows who owes who what. It's also useless for people in the middle of nowhere becaude nobody is going to build a tower to then have their competitors get money for using it.

It's a good political idea that's also a poo poo practical idea, so no surprise there.

Tracking local roaming sounds like it would be trivial, and arranging some exchange system to pay each other isn't outside the realm of possibility either. The huge problem would be to get everyone to agree on the prices...

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
This is less 'obsolescence' and more marvelling at the progress of technology. In my first year of high school we had to have a USB flash drive, and I bought a 1GB drive for about $25. Today, I just got a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive for a little under $10.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
In my first year of high school we were still using floppies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MondayHotDog posted:

Same, floppy floppies (5 and a quarter) or hard (3 and a half)?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MondayHotDog posted:

SAME

Aristophanes posted:

In my first year of high school we had to have a USB flash drive, and I bought a 1GB drive for about $25. Today, I just got a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive for a little under $10.

I still have a 64mb flash drive floating around. The first time I saw a full 1gb flash drive advertised it cost something ridiculous like $1000.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MondayHotDog posted:

In my last year* of highschool we were still using floppies. To be fair though the size of the files I was dealing with wouldn't have required any more than 1.44 MB anyways, certainly not enough to justify the $50+ price tag for a 8 or 16 MB thumb drive.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

titties posted:

SAME

I still have a 64mb flash drive floating around. The first time I saw a full 1gb flash drive advertised it cost something ridiculous like $1000.

I remember when I bought my first digital camera, it came with a whopping 16 MB memory card.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

10", you young whippersnapper.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

MondayHotDog posted:

We were using floppies and ZIP disks in 2004 at my high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

tribbledirigible posted:

10", you young whippersnapper.

When I was in high school. we didn't even have computers.

:corsair: